Dark Knights Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It isn't my first," Bryn sneered as he backed off. "I'm done here. Are you coming or staying?" he asked me as he continued to pin Kevin with his gaze.

I looked at Kevin and saw the cold hate in his eyes. I was torn. I wanted to go with Bryn, but Kevin was my brother. Then I heard Kevin's words ringing in my mind again, and I made my decision. "I'm coming," I said as I turned my back on Kevin.

Bryn jerked the red emergency release on the garage door, strode to the door, and shoved it up as if it weighed nothing. I followed him out, almost trotting to keep up with is angry stride as he made his way to his car.

"I can't believe you hit him!" I said as we stopped at his car and he opened the door for me. He said nothing as I dropped into his car. I tugged my ponytail tight as he circled around the front.

"I didn't hit him that hard," Bryn replied as he fell into the driver's seat. "Besides, he deserved it. Why do you let him talk to you like that?"

Kevin was standing under the door of his garage as he glared at us. "He's always been like that, but he doesn't mean it."

"Doesn't matter. He's being a dick."

He started his car and backed quickly down the drive before banging to a hard stop in the street. He slammed the car into first, revved the engine, and banged out the clutch. We raced away as he revved the engine hard, taking his anger out on the car.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this," I murmured.

We stopped hard at the first of several stop signs in Kevin's neighborhood. When we didn't immediately leave, even though there was no traffic, I watched him as he stared at nothing out of the windshield.

"I'm done, Reagan. I'm done with the Dark Knights. I can't do it anymore."

"Bryn, wait. Don't say that. This'll blow over."

"It's not going to blow over, and you know it. You think Kevin is going to let me take a poke at him and then be willing to forgive and forget? He doesn't forgive or forget things like this."

"Just let me talk to him, okay? Let's just cool it for a while until I can get this smoothed over."

He looked at me. "What do you mean, 'cool it?'"

"I mean let's not give Kevin any more reason to want throw you out of the Knights."

As he looked at me I saw the wall slam down. All the warmth I'd seen in his eyes over the last few days disappeared like smoke in a wind. "Okay."

Alarm bells began ringing in my head. "Are we okay?"

He made the right. "Yeah."

"Bryn, what's wrong? Talk to me," I begged.

He didn't look at me. "Nothing to say. Your brother barked, and now we're done."

"We're not done, Goddammit! All I'm saying is let me try to fix this with Kevin!"

I watched as the muscles worked in his jaw. "Okay. Fine," he said, the aloof loner shield firmly in place.

I felt so miserable I wanted to cry. "Bryn, please!" I begged. "Don't do this. I'm not dumping you. I'm trying to save you, save your position in the club. Please don't shut me out."

"I don't give a shit about the Knights, not anymore," he said, his voice flat and devoid of emotion.

"You don't understand! He's my brother! I can't just walk away from him!" I fell silent, tears threatening as I was pulled apart. I wanted to be with Bryn but I couldn't leave Kevin behind, not without at least trying.

"All I said was I was done with the Knights. I didn't ask you choose between us. You made that decision on your own."

"I'm not choosing him over you!"

He glanced at me as we rolled to a stop at another sign. "Oh? I guess I don't know what 'Let's cool it means' then." His eyes flick forward and we pulled away from the stop sign. "You can stay at my place until we get this shit sorted, but then I'm gone, and you won't have to choose."

"Please, Bryn," murmured. "I'm not choosing Kevin over you," I repeated, hoping to reach him.

"Okay."

As miserable as I felt, his attitude was starting to piss me off. "You're being as big an asshole as Kevin."

"I guess you bring that out in me."

I stared out of my side window the rest of the way to his apartment, my thoughts oscillating between regret for not realizing how he'd take what I said, and being pissed off and wanting telling him he could go fuck himself. After he parked his car, I followed him into his apartment. I felt sick, my dinner weighing heavy in my stomach.

"I'm sorry I said what I did. I didn't mean it the way you took it. I want to be with you. Will you come to bed and hold me?"

He held my gaze, and for the briefest of instants I thought I saw hope in his eyes, but then the aloofness returned. "Sure," he replied, but there was no warmth in his response.

We said nothing else as we prepared for bed. I snuggled into his side and slowly slid my hand down his stomach, but before I could touch his manhood, he gently took my hand, placed it on his chest, and held it.

"I want you," I whispered.

He said nothing for a long moment. "It's been a long day, and I'm kind of tired."

"Tomorrow?" I asked. I'd never begged for a man's attention in my life, and it pissed me off to hear the hopeful, almost begging tone in my voice.

"Maybe."

We were quiet for a long moment. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

"It's okay," he mumbled, but there was no forgiveness in his tone.

It wasn't okay. I'd promised him I wouldn't hurt him, and then, unintentional though it was, I'd done just that. Over the past week, and especially since our night together in the motel, he'd opened up with me. It just a crack, but it was a start, and I liked what I saw behind his protective walls. And then, stupidly, I'd pushed him away just as he was starting to trust me enough to show his true self.

"I'm sorry," I whispered again, desperately wanting to make amends for what I'd said.

He said nothing and I sniffed as I fought my tears. I chewed on my bottom lip as every mistake I'd made that brought me to this point played over and over in my mind like a movie on a loop. Sleep was a long time coming, my mind swirling in ever tighter circles as I tried to figure out how to clean up shit pile I'd created.

-oOo-

Over the next three days, Bryn was cool and distant, much as he was when I'd first arrived on his door begging for his help. His loner personality was firmly in place, and while he didn't abuse me, verbally or physically, he rebuffed ever attempt I made to get close to him, emotionally holding me at arm's length. I was back to being nothing more than a workmate or acquaintance.

He'd dropped me at work Saturday morning, but had refused my offer of a kiss before I left his car. Saturdays were my busiest single customer day behind the parts counter, and I didn't have time to mope or feel sorry for myself until John locked the door. I collected my purse and stepped out of the building, half expecting to have to call for an Uber, but Bryn was there, waiting for me. I couldn't explain why, but having him there touched me deeply, and I had to fight the urge to cry. Despite what I'd said, he was still willing to protect me.

Sunday I tried to break through his reserve, but to no avail. As we silently ate lunch, I considered dragging his ass out of his chair, throwing him to the floor, ripping his clothes off, and then fucking him stupid. If I thought it would actually snap him out of his funk, I would have, but I wasn't sure if it would make my situation better, worse, or make no difference at all.

Several times during the day I nearly told him to go fuck himself for his attitude, but then I remembered it was me who pulled back from him. I held my tongue and tried to give him his space as I worked to regain his trust. The only flicker of hope I had was when I offered to return to my home, he'd said I should stay until we knew for sure the Rollers would leave me alone.

We'd seen no sign of Hayden, or his goons, since the last fateful encounter in front of my house. I began to hope the entire affair was behind us, though I was afraid if it was, I'd lose my last, tenuous though it was, connection to Bryn.

Monday he left me alone in his apartment when he went to work, and that was the toughest day of all. Without him there, my mind ran in circles. I nearly pulled my hair out tugging on my ponytail so often, and once I'd thrown myself on his bed and cried into his pillow. Finally letting go of the emotions that I'd bottled up inside helped, and after my good cry, I'd hardened my resolve to win his trust again. I didn't love the guy, but I felt so fucking guilty. He'd been used and neglected for practically his entire life, and he'd admitted he had trust issues, so it was no wonder he was so sensitive to the perception of abandonment. If it'd been possible, I'd have kicked my own ass for my stupidity.

Tuesday morning, Bryn dropped me at work, and he even allowed me to kiss him before I exited the car. He barely returned the kiss, but at least it was progress. Even though we were sharing a bed, he was still distant, and we hadn't made love since we'd met with Kevin. I didn't care. I'd take the baby steps and build on them.

"Parts," I said as I brought the phone's handset to my ear.

"Reagan? This is Eric. Emergency meeting Reggie's. Seven sharp, and I need you there. It's important."

I chill passed over me. "What's happened?"

"I'll tell you at the meeting. Can you get in touch with Bryn? I've tried to call him three times now, but all I get is his voice mail."

"I'll let him know."

"Thanks. I need him there most of all." He paused as if he were going to say something else, and I waited. "It's important that he be there."

I had the feeling Eric had changed what he was going to say. "I'll make sure."

There was a pause. "Thanks, Reagan. See you there," he said and then hung up.

I slowly placed the handset back in its cradle, a cold lump of fear forming in my stomach. I glanced at the clock. It was a little after two, and I debated calling Bryn, but I decided to wait until I saw him in person.

I spent the rest of the day worrying about what had happened, certain whatever it was, it was going to be my fault. Thank God it was a slow day because I was so distracted, I'd have probably handed some guy an oil filter when he'd asked for a starter.

-oOo-

My purse was on the floor behind the counter as I mentally rushed my last customer of the day out the door. "Oil filter, three quarts of oil, plugs, and air filter. Anything else?" I asked, forcing my voice into cheerful pleasantness as I placed the reused cardboard box containing his items on the counter.

He glanced into the small box to verify its contents. "Nope. I think that's it for today."

I hit the key on my computer that completed the sale. "Looks like you've got a busy day planned," I said as his ticket printed behind me.

"Yeah," he grumbled good naturedly. "If you're going to ride, you got to pay the price, right?"

I smiled as handed him the ticket. "But it's worth it. Am I wrong?"

"Not in the least," he said, taking the ticket and picking up his box.

The moment I saw him hand his credit card to Evelyn, the service department cashier, I signed out of my computer, picked up my purse, and hurried to the door. Bryn's blue Subaru was waiting for me. I hurried to the passenger door and opened it. I leaned over for a kiss, and after a moment, he met me halfway. The kiss was still perfunctory, but I'd take it.

"Did you hear Eric's messages?" I asked as our lips parted.

"I saw that he left them."

"Did you listen to them?"

"No."

"There's a problem."

"What?"

"I don't know, but Eric called a meeting for tonight at seven. He left me a message on my cell, but then he called me at work. He said it's important."

"Don't care," he said as he started his car.

"He said he needed you there most of all."

"Don't care about that either."

I tugged my ponytail tight as I tried to figure out how to proceed. "Maybe they want to apologize," I suggested.

"Good. They should apologize to you, but that has nothing to do with me."

"I'd like you come."

"No. I told you, I'm done with the Knights."

I stared out of the windshield for a moment. "Can you at least drop me off?"

He didn't roll his eyes, but I could tell he wanted to. "Okay. Sure."

"Thank you," I said. I'd managed to get him to Reggie's. Now I just had to figure out how to get him from the car to our booth inside.

We had dinner, and he'd thawed a little more since Monday. I didn't want to push him and risk what progress I'd made with him, but there was something in Eric's tone that had me worried. I had a feeling this was going to be no ordinary meeting.

-oOo-

We rolled to a stop in front of Reggie's front door with five minutes to spare. He didn't park the car, clearly signaling for me to get out and go inside without him. "I'm going to go get some gas, but then I'll be back to pick you up."

"I need you to come in with me."

"No."

"Bryn, please. Something's wrong, something bad."

"Not my problem."

I tugged on my hair. "I know you're done with the Knights, but will you do this one last thing for me? Please? I won't ask you to join us again. Please."

"Why is this so fucking important to you?" he growled, his annoyance clear.

"It's not. You're important to me, not the Knights, but—"

"It doesn't feel that way," he interrupted.

"It's true! I have a bad feeling about this. Please come in with me. Come in, and if it turns out to be a big nothing, I'll tell them all that unless they start showing you the same respect they show everyone else, and apologize to you for how they've treated you, I'm walking away with you, and they can find someone else to buy their fucking motorcycles. Will you do this for me?"

"You'd walk away from the Knights?"

"Without a look back."

He held my gaze a moment before his eyes flicked the rearview. He pulled out of the way of the car behind us, stopping at the back of the parking lot, but not yet parking his car. "Why? Why would you do that? You live and breathe that shit."

"I did."

"What changed?"

I looked at him like he was stupid. "You. I've seen you for who you really are." I saw the same look of hope in his eyes, the same look I saw in the motel room, but the warmth hadn't yet returned. "I know I promised not to hurt you, and even though I didn't mean to, I did. I'd really like another chance. Please, Bryn, will you please give me that chance?"

I watched as he considered. He said nothing, but after a moment, he pulled his car into a parking spot and switched it off. I almost sagged in relief. "Keep Kevin away from me," he growled.

I opened my door and stepped out. "Don't worry about him. If he starts running his mouth, I'll punch him in his other eye myself." That won me a small smile.

He didn't take my hand, or place his hand on my back as he'd started doing, but he did open the door for me. We were the last to arrive. The booth could seat eight or nine, but the Knights were spaced so Bryn and I had to sit on opposite ends of the booth, probably just to spite us. They couldn't know Bryn and I were having problems.

I glared at Kevin, and he glared back, a clear bruise showing from where Bryn had dotted his eye. "How's your eye?" I asked with a nasty grin.

"That's enough," Eric said mildly, cutting off any reply Kevin may have made. "We have a problem. Someone has been talking. I got a call today from Customs, and we're being audited. "Everyone glared at Bryn as Eric continued. "I know there are problem between some of us right now, but we need to put that behind us for the moment and pull together, or we're all going to jail."

Everyone stared at Bryn and me like we were pariah, and I wanted to crawl under the table. This was all my fault, and now I'd involved all the Knights in my mess. "Fucking Hayden Rogan," I muttered.

"That's what started all this," Kevin sneered.

"Kevin, would you please shut the hell up," Eric sighed.

I looked to Bryn, hoping to see him bristle, but he ignored the comment and I died a little inside. I thought we'd made some progress in the car, but now I wasn't sure.

"The records should stand up to any cursory scrutiny," Bryn replied. "That should be all this is. If they were really coming after us, they wouldn't have called first."

"I hope you haven't fucked this up," Kevin snarled at Bryn.

"I said that's enough!" Eric snapped, his voice hard and brooking no disagreement as he glared at Kevin. "Bryn, how confident are you?"

"If anyone takes the fall, it'll be me. I'm the one doctoring the records. I won't roll over on you, but stay out of my way. Once this is over, I'm out of here, one way or another. There's nothing to keep me here. Not anymore."

Kevin grunted as if that was the best news he'd had in years as the cold lump of fear returned to my stomach. I was losing him, and I didn't know how to stop it.

"Bryn," Eric continued quietly, "don't do anything you'll later regret. You're still a member of the Knights. I know things are tough right now, but don't do anything rash." He looked at me, but I was unable to hold his gaze. "Either of you. What's done is done, but families stick together through the tough times as well as the good. We'll get through this and be stronger for it. Hayden knew what we were planning, so frankly, I'm surprised we've made it this long without something like this happening."

"If Reagan hadn't—"

"Kevin, I said shut the fuck up! If you say one more fucking word, I'm going to reach down your throat and rip your fucking nuts off!" Eric snarled quietly.

Eric was over seventy and looked like someone's kindly grandfather. I'd never heard him use any word harsher than 'damn' or 'hell,' and he also usually spoke softly, but there was no mistaking the steel in his voice now. I wasn't the only one staring at him in near slack jawed amazement.

"Sorry," Kevin replied, his color high and his indignation clear on his face.

"Bryn, what do you need from us?" Eric asked, the kindly grandfather back.

"To stay out of my way and to keep your mouths shut. If anyone asks anything about this, claim ignorance and send them to me."

Eric nodded and then slid a scrap of paper across the table to Bryn. "You heard him. This is the agent's name and number. Anything else?"

"No."

"Then we're done here. Bryn, Reagan, stay a minute, please."

Bryn and I look at each other then, then slid out of the booth so everyone else could get out. As Kevin stood, he glared at us, clearly wanting to say something, but then turned and stomped away. Bryn and I sat down again.

"Reagan, I'm not going to lecture you on what you did," Eric said after the rest of the Knights were out of hearing, his voice gentle. "You know how Kevin, how the entire club, feels about Hayden. We stripped him of his patch for a reason. Not only was he dealing drugs as a Knight, something I won't tolerate, he was also a disruptive influence. You can see that can't you?" I nodded meekly. "I think I even know why you did it." He paused, but when I didn't say anything, he continued. "Reagan, you have every right to be upset about how you get treated sometimes. You're probably the single most important link in the chain, and I think everyone knows that, even if they don't say it. I'm not one to meddle in the club dynamics too much. I figure we're all big boys and girls, but after you left, I called Mike, Tony, and Kevin together, and I made it crystal clear that every last one of them could be replaced... but not you."

I felt the tears welling in my eyes and I wiped at them in anger and frustration. "I'm so sorry Eric. I really am. I don't know why I did it. I was just so mad. Hayden, he told me what I wanted to hear... and I guess I wanted to hurt the Knights."

"I know, and I'm sorry I let it come to this before I put a stop to it. This is as much my fault as it is yours. I want you know that you have my most sincere apology and my promise that stuff like this won't be tolerated in the future. Not so long as I'm President."