All Comments on 'Daughters and Fathers Ch. 05'

by leBonhomme

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
another snort

The constant and irritating use of the word snort made me do some research.

First, I clarified the actual meaning, and the "Free Dictionary" on the web say: "A rough, noisy sound made by breathing forcefully through the nostrils, as a horse or pig does." The characters in this tale, although they screw like horses, seemed a little too civilized to justify calling them pigs.

Still not satisfied that I understand the continuous use, I tried snorting while having sex. Most of my partners told me it was disgusting. One lady was extremely excited with my snorting while I was eating her out.

So maybe, just maybe, this is what the author has in mind, he just has a problem placing the word in the right context?

leBonhommeleBonhommeover 10 years agoAuthor

Thanks for taking the trouble to research the subject.

Sure, pigs and horses snort, and a dictionary can't go wrong with that example, since Sam Johnson used it, but humans also snort - less noisily:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snort

As I have tried to explain elsewhere:

In the context, my characters snort in surprise, resulting from the involuntary contraction of stomach muscles in response to what someone unexpectedly has said or done. People are likely to snort when recognizing an unintentional double entendre, only laughing if others then do so.

Sniffing in a similar situation is the reverse reflex, catching a sudden breath in surprise. Older ladies might sniff at the double entendre, sitting up straighter (ramrod back), perhaps with a facial expression suggesting: I'm a lady; I didn't hear that - but she did.

My characters enjoy being surprised and snort, maybe then laughing or grinning. Perhaps some readers have also snorted in surprise at a character's remark.

I hope so.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous