Dear Diary - Cabin Fever

Story Info
Snowed in over Christmas, Kaylee and Thom enjoy quality time.
11.2k words
4.66
20.2k
9
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 08/31/2023
Created 12/28/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

December 23rd, 2011

Dear Diary,

I'm exhausted and Thom is already asleep. Six hours of clearing snow will do that to you. After he plowed the drive, he cleared the rest of the snow from around the cabin and stables with the snow blower.

When we arrived at the cabin, it was completely snowed in. I had to walk Gertie and Checkers up to the barn while Thom cleared the drive. A half-mile walk isn't too bad... unless you're walking in deep snow. I love the place, especially in the summer, but dealing with all the snow in the winter is a pain in the ass. I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. I say that every time we have to dig the place out, but I know we'll never sell it. It's our haven, the place where we come to escape the rest of the world, and that makes it worth a little effort.

It's snowing again, and its beautiful in the lights. They're predicting another foot of powder tonight. The snow may be a pain in the ass, but the place is so beautiful after a storm passes through. I'd like to sit and watch it snow for a while, but Thom's already out and I'm tired and in desperate need of more snuggling.

"Jesus," Thom said as we pulled to a stop, staring at the path cut into the trees that led to our cabin, the big Ford F350 diesel clattering at idle. "I'm never going to be able to push that with the horses."

I nodded in understanding. Somewhere under all that snow was our drive. The snow was at least thigh deep, but it was much deeper where the big commercial plows that cleared the roads had piled it up. We sat for a moment as Thom puzzled over our options.

"Okay, here's what we'll do," Thom began. "Kaylee, you take Gertie and Checkers up to the stable and get them settled in. I'll take the trailer back and park it at the Gas 'n Go until I can get the drive cleared."

I looked at the snow-covered drive and I nodded in agreement. There really wasn't any other choice. With the emergency flashers blinking merrily, Thom and I stepped out of warm truck and into the biting cold of the Rocky Mountains. We shrugged into our coats and gloves, and then went to work unloading the two horses. I hooked a lead to Gertie as Thom did the same for Checkers, and then we coaxed the beasts out of the trailer.

Our cabin wasn't that far off the road, perhaps a half mile, but it was going to be slow and hard going in the deep snow. Neither horse wanted to cross the rolled and piled snow left by the plows, and I didn't blame them. The berm was nearly as high as my chest. I tried to coax Gertie across, but she was having none of it, and neither was Checkers.

We finally gave up, and with the horses out of the trailer, Thom used the plow to punch a hole in the berm while I held the horses out of the way. He had to make several runs at it, the big Ford snarling and growling as it strained against the snow, but the V-blade finally shouldered the snow aside enough to make a path. I cajoled Gertie through the snow, sweet talking her and encouraging her on. Thom took a more direct approach with Checkers and simply hauled on his lead to pull him through the gap. The horses were used the area, having been there many times over the years, and once we were clear of the piled snow, they gave us no more trouble.

Thom handed me Checkers' lead. "I'll be there as quick as I can."

I took the lead as he gave me a quick kiss.

"After I get the horses settled I'll get the cabin going."

He nodded, gave me another quick buss on the lips, and then turned back to the truck.

"Call me if you have any problems."

I watched until he roared away up the hill then made smooching noises at the horses to start them walking. We trudged through the snow for ten minutes or so as we walked down the center of the drive so I didn't accidently step off the road and sink up to my ass in the snow. The snow was relatively firm so I was only sinking up to my calves, just deep enough for snow to get into my boots.

I was breathing hard and beginning to sweat despite the cold by time I reached the cabin. I headed directly for the four-stall stable set off to the right of the driveway to get Gertie and Checkers settled in. I tied them off while I struggled to get the work alley door open. The snow had drifted up against the door and it took a fair amount of scraping, stomping and shoving to get the big sliding door open, but I finally managed.

I led the horses into the concrete floored alley. As they entered, they knew where they belonged and walked into their twelve by twelve-foot stalls on their own, Checkers in the first stall, Gertie in the next one over. With the heat off, it was well below freezing in the stable, so I left their blankets on for the time being. I closed the door to their stalls, pulled the big entrance door shut, then clicked on the heater to start the building warming. I had to go to the cabin to start the well pump before drawing them water, which would give the building time to warm so their water wouldn't freeze. Now that I wasn't working so hard my sweat was beginning to dry, chilling me, and I shivered. I gave Gertie and Checkers a hug on the neck, enjoying their warmth, then left to attend to the cabin.

Our cabin was a small structure on the side of a hill about two hundred feet from the stables. While it didn't look like anything special from the drive, just a steeply sloped, two-story roof that stopped four feet above the ground, the view from the front was fantastic. I stomped my way to cabin, then stamped my feet on the covered porch to knock off as much snow as possible before entering. Like the stable, the cabin was freezing.

The first thing I did was tromp into the half basement to flip on breakers to bring the house alive, then I loaded the fireplace from the wood box and started a fire. Having a fire burning would not only help warm the place up, but it also made it feel warmer with its presence.

The cabin was a typical A-Frame construction with massive open beams supporting the steeply sloped roof over an open floor plan. On the main level was the kitchen, half-bath, and a laundry room that also functioned as a pantry and mud room at the back of the cabin, with a large open room at the front. A set of stairs led from the laundry to the day-light half basement under the family room, part of which served as another bedroom with bath. The back half of the house had normal nine-foot ceilings, but the family room had ceilings that soared to the peak, twenty-five feet overhead. Above the kitchen area was a loft that contained the master bedroom overlooking the family room below, along with a full bath and closet.

With its polished oak floors the color of honey, and matching clapboard ceiling, stone hearth, and the floor to ceiling windows at the front of the cabin, it was a temple of wood, glass and stone. Thom had built the place himself when he got his general contractor's license, more than twenty years ago, and had taken loving care of it through the years.

I paused at the windows, looking at the meadow below. Our meadow, the meadow that had given the cabin its name. It was buried under a blanket of white now, but in the summer the field was ablaze with the small blue and white Columbine flower. It was the feature that sold me on the land and the flowered pasture had become the cabin's namesake. Columbine Meadow, or The Meadow as we sometimes called it, was the name we'd given the sixty-eight acres we owned outside Breckenridge, Colorado, about ninety minutes from our home in Highlands Ranch.

I still nearly swooned every time I thought about Thom making slow sweet love to me among the flowers that one summer, so long ago. Columbine Meadow was still unfinished at the time, and we were driving up every weekend to stay in a camper we'd bought and parked on site while we built the cabin. I still remembered it like it was yesterday, how we'd taken a break from the construction and had gone riding with a picnic lunch. It had been the stuff of dreams, the rich azure of the sky, the sweet smell of growing things, the horses Dot and Jack standing nearby watching us as we gave and took pleasure. I smiled with the memory. The snow may be a pain in the ass, but there were so many wonderful memories tied up in this cabin and on this land, I'd never sell it.

Forcing myself from my reverie, I left and returned to the barn where I spent the next twenty minutes tending to Gertie and Checkers, pulling off their blankets, drawing them water and giving them some food. The barn had warmed up nicely, the large propane heater making short work of the cold. It was still chilly by my standards, but it was approaching a comfortable forty-five degrees for the horses.

I was stepping out of the barn when I heard the Ford straining as it pushed the big V-blade plow, cutting a path down the middle of the drive. I stood and watched as Thom worked the tuck, backing up and taking one bite after another out of the snow, shoving it aside to clear more and more of the gravel parking area.

When he had a sizeable area cleared, he stopped the truck and I helped him unload the food and supplies that would sustain us over the next four days.

"Nice," he said, smiling and nodding at the fire as he entered the cabin, six bags of groceries in his two strong hands.

It was considerably warmer in the cabin than it was when I left it.

"Getting there," I replied as I kicked the door shut, a plastic bag of groceries in each of my own hands.

As I put away groceries, Thom first added wood to the fire then came up behind me and nuzzled the back of my neck.

"Don't you have something else to do besides bother me?" I teased, but made no move to discourage him from what he was doing.

The heater and fire hadn't completely knocked the chill off the cabin and we were still wearing our cold weather gear, but I enjoyed the feel of his lips on my neck and the strength of his arms pulling me back into his body.

"Nope," he said, his lips still exploring my neck.

I turned in his arms and offered him something softer to kiss and he took my lips in a slow caress. It was a tradition that I got a kiss like that as soon as possible after we opened up the cabin.

"Go," I breathed, pulling back and patting him on the chest. "Go finish the drive while I put this stuff away and get lunch started.

"Don't wanna," he murmured as he kissed me again.

I sighed into the kiss. I didn't want him to either, but we both knew we were fooling ourselves and he wouldn't stay and finish what he was starting. Or would he?

We'd never hidden our love from the girls, but having kids underfoot all the time, wanting help finding lost socks or yelling they were hungry and wanting to know when dinner would be ready, tended to dampen the mood. After our youngest left for college this past fall, Thom had become much more amorous, and I was thriving under his attention.

He exhaled as he pulled back from the kiss and watched my eyes. I smiled at him. If he'd give me five minutes to put the refrigerated items away, maybe he wouldn't have to go out right away. We'd have to work hard to stay warm, but I didn't think that would be a bad thing.

"Work, work, work," he said, then smiled as he dragged his fingers down my arm in the way he knew I liked.

If it hadn't been for the heavy coat dulling the feel of his touch, I'd have shivered in delight. He gave me another quick kiss then stepped back.

"Let me finish clearing the snow, then I'll be back. Remember where we stopped."

The cabin was cool but warming nicely when Thom broke for lunch, the high ceiling of the family room making it slow to warm up. We had a quick lunch of potato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, then we returned to the outside. Three passes with the truck had cleared the drive, and he'd cleared most of the parking area, but there was still a lot of snow blocking the path to the cabin door and around the stables. I began clearing in front of the doors while Thom left to get the trailer. When he returned, he helped me move the tack from the trailer to the stable, then he got to work with the snow blower.

While Thom used the blower, I continued to shovel snow from all the places the blower couldn't easily reach. It was a system that we'd worked out over the years, and it worked well. Once I had my part finished, I left Thom to handle the roaring machine while I first tended the horses and then started dinner.

I was standing at the stove, stirring the lentil and sausage stew, when Thom came in.

"I'm getting too old for this shit," he grunted as he stepped behind me and kissed me on the neck.

Every year the snow seemed a little deeper and heavier, and I could feel the results of my exertions in my back, shoulder and arms.

"I know how you feel."

"That smells terrific!" he said as he took a deep breath, his nose by my ear as he leaned over my shoulder. "The soup smells pretty good too."

I snickered as I dipped a small portion onto a spoon, turned in his arms, and offered a sample. He gave it a couple of blows to cool it, then took a taste.

"Yummy," he said as he nodded in approval. "But not as yummy as this," he added, lowering his lips to mine. Holding the spoon behind his head, I wrapped my arms around his neck as he drew me into the kiss. The caress of his lips was long, slow and loving, just the way I liked it.

"That's nice," I sighed as the kiss dissolved. "Dinner will be ready in about ten minutes, as soon as the cornbread finishes cooking."

Thom smiled at me and I could feel my heart melt a bit. That smile, so loving and sweet, got to me every time.

"I think we should skip dinner and go straight to bed," he murmured, his gaze holding mine before he brushed my lips with his.

I giggled. Who was this man? It was like he was twenty again.

"Oh, hush. We have to eat."

"I'd planned to," he sneered as his face twisted into a comically lecherous smirk.

I had to work hard to not smile. "I meant food," I said, keeping my tone serious.

"Oh," he said, his face and tone the picture of crushed disappointment.

I stretched up on my toes and brushed my lips against his. "The other will come later," I breathed. "Now shoo, you're holding up progress," I said as I fanned my hands like I was trying to ward off flies.

He gave me another quick kiss and a smile before he moved to the wood box to reload the fireplace. As I fussed around in the kitchen, he reloaded the wood box from the stack of wood outside. I smiled as he carried the wood through the kitchen. One thing about having a fireplace, the wood warmed you three times... once when you cut and split it, once when you hauled it in, and a final time when you burned it. With over twenty acres of trees there was always plenty of deadwood for the fireplace, and Thom was diligent about keeping the fallen trees cleared away.

Dinner was a simple, leisurely affair full of conversation. The soup warmed and relaxed me, the work this afternoon catching up with me, and I could tell Thom was feeling the same way. After dinner we quickly cleaned up, and as I started the dishwasher, he poured a healthy splash of Hennessey into a pair of glasses.

We settled on the thick rug in front of the fireplace and snuggled into the two giant pillows we kept handy just for that purpose. I sighed as I relaxed into his body, my feet warming at the hearth, my heart and soul warming with Thom's comfortable embrace.

"It's snowing," I said as the flakes floated down beyond the windows, magical as the exterior lights made them sparkle and glow.

"Let it."

I snickered and took another sip of the Brandy. It was easy to say that now, but if we got the foot of snow they were predicting, we'd have to dig out again tomorrow. We sat for a long time, watching it snow, saying nothing. We were comfortable with our silences, Thom's slow and gentle caress of my breast saying more than words ever could. We had no internet or television by choice, but it was no hardship, and we enjoyed being disconnected from the world.

My brandy was nearly gone when Thom's hand slowed, stopped, restarted, then stopped again. I smiled as his breathing became regular and deep. Maybe I should have taken him up on his offer at dinner. I tossed back the last tablespoon of my drink and snuggled in a little closer.

I could feel sleep tugging at me also. In the morning, when we were fresh, would be better. We could have breakfast in bed, then when we were done, we'd go downstairs for some food. Thom was normally the one that turned everything into a sexual suggestion and I smiled, pleased with myself and my little joke.

We were going to have to get up soon. We'd fallen asleep on the floor once before, and that wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat. The rug was soft, but it wasn't a bed, and it had taken almost the entire next day before the soreness was gone. With a sigh of regret, I tried to carefully extract myself from his arms, but I woke him in the process. He pulled me back in, sighing in satisfaction as I settled back against him, but I didn't stay long.

"We have to get up," I murmured as I pulled away from him again.

"Stay."

"Come on," I encouraged. "Get up and take me to bed."

He groaned and stretched. "Best offer I've had today," he muttered, but he didn't seem that anxious to move.

I smiled as I picked up our empty glasses and took them to the kitchen where I gave them a quick rinse and then left them in the sink until morning. I'd left the stew out to cool, and I dipped it out of the pot into another container and placed it in the refrigerator and then filled the pot with water. By the time I was done in the kitchen, I heard Thom in the bathroom as I trudged up the stairs. Men have it so easy. A quick brush of his teeth and Thom was completely fuckable, where I had to clean my face and brush my hair... and it just wasn't fair.

He snagged me and pulled me in for a kiss as we passed at the foot of the bed. He was completely at ease with his nakedness, his cock hanging semi-erect between his legs, and I gave him a tickle. Thom was my age, fifty-five, and was beginning to go grey at the temple, the rest of his jet-black hair also showing a few strands of grey. Far from reducing his sexiness, the grey gave him a distinguish look that I found appealing as hell. His face was sharp and angular with a strong chin and cheekbones that gave him a dark, slightly dangerous look, the look of a man that could crush you in business or with his fists. Until he smiled. I loved how his eyes almost twinkled as his entire face lit up with his welcoming smile and the darkness vanished as if it had never been.

He'd worked hard building houses his entire life, and it showed in his body. While he didn't have the hard-body of a kid anymore, his arms, chest and legs still had plenty of definition. While he didn't have a six-pack of abs, his stomach was flat, and the thin layer of fat that came with age made him even more comfortable to snuggle into.

His body may have aged slightly, but the look in his deep brown eyes was the same as it had always been, a look that spoke of his love and desire for me, a look that made me melt and ooze into a puddle every time I saw it. Over the years, I'd seen many women admiring him, some very attractive and not subtle in their flirting, but he only seemed to have eyes for me, and that made me feel like the most desirable woman in the world.

"Don't start something if you're not going to finish it," he warned, his voice firm but his smile teasing.

"Let me go and get ready," I breathed as my desire for him spooled up.

He kissed me again, his hand gently massaging my breast before he released me. I glanced down and he was beginning to firm up nicely. I gave his manhood a slow, soft stroke before stepping back with a smile.