All Comments on 'Dear Samuel'

by IntergenerationalLover

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thank you for a beautiful "feel good" story. The perfect antidote to the cruel realities of the modern world.

Thoroughly enjoyed.

sealandssdsealandssdover 1 year ago

I love the sweetness here although I have doubts whether gay relationships were accepted by religious country in the story. Or Samuel and Carl was suffering enough and no one else wanted to put more burden on them.

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLoverover 1 year agoAuthor

When I wrote this story, I wanted to revisit my own childhood in the country. But at the same time, create a sort of fairy-tale--just like in the movies and soap operas that I alluded in the story. About religion, the protagonist has learned through pain, to conciliate his faith with his sexuality. Unfortunately, a lot of families don't support their children when they most need it. Anway, that's why we have fairy-tales! Thanks for reading and commenting on my story!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

What a beautiful story - or fairy-tale as the author describes it.

To me it is very well written with well etched characters, believable plotlines and emotions that are teased out rather than thrown in the readers face.

Even the supportive families and religious angle can be accepted - somewhere in this harsh world of ours there must be such people.

Thank you for creating and sharing this work - it had me in tears at the end - just like the movies!

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover9 months agoAuthor

Thanks for the feedback on my story!

The main character indeed had a hard life and not much support in the beginning, only his diary to voice his fears and most secret feelings. His religion was also a sort of two-edged sword: He spoke to God in his prayers, but also knew the weight of sin (in his pretty simple mind and belief). I prefer to think that Father Simão, in the story, was open and loved the sinner and hated the sin -- also leaving room for heavenly love, while welcoming those who were still too weak to make choices for life (as Ken made in the end). Ken chose a path guided by his heart, and perhaps, by the love he's learnt from his family/friends/God.

I feel quite flattered to know, as a writer, that the ending has moved you. The protagonist, Ken, had to break his protective shell and make his choice! I smiled as I wrote the last lines to my story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous