Delayed Exposure

Story Info
A photography trip bears unexpected fruit.
10k words
4.83
10.4k
8
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Friday

I'd neve been to Bar Harbor before, though I'd spent some time elsewhere in the state as a kid; Maine was a go-to beach spot for those of us who grew up in suburban Boston. Since moving out to New York for school, though, I hadn't been back, and this was a very different Maine from the small oceanside communities I'd known. The center was a busy tourist destination masquerading as a quaint New England town - lots of gray blue siding and whales and ocean motifs, but all a little too cute and busy, with a mix of high-end restaurants, trinket shops, boutiques, and other stores catering to a crowd with money. That was something I didn't really have. I was 25, and while I wasn't broke, I wasn't exactly miles from it. I was doing okay, though, splitting time between a full-time teaching job and gigs doing portrait photography on the side. Since splitting up with Amy a few months ago I was eating takeout less and saving more, once student loans, rent, food, bills were out of the way. But there was no way I would have been out here had I been doing it on my own dime.

Amy. The split had been the right choice, though it had taken me a bit to admit that we hadn't really worked for some time. I was over that part of it by now. But over the last month, the celibacy had hit me hard in another way: regular access to good sex for six years was a hard thing to shake. At the same time, I'd never dated as an adult - hell, I'd basically never 'dated' at all - and my first couple attempts over the last couple months had fallen flat. All of this left me frustrated as hell, in all the meanings of that word. Maybe this would help clear my head.

I was here for a five day photography workshop in and around Acadia National Park. The trip was my birthday present, from my parents who not-so-slyly tacked on an "optional" visit with them after this part of the trip was done. After my sister and I had gone off to college, they'd started coming up here regularly; they did have that kind of money. My dad, a lawyer, was also an avid amateur photographer, and had connected with a group that led photo tours in the area. I had dabbled in landscape photography but had never really had the time or equipment to do it right. Now, though, armed with a loaner superwide lens to complement my own kit, I was off on a five day experiment.

Once I'd gotten my fill of downtown, I walked back to the hotel. I washed off quickly and took a glance in the mirror: six foot frame with a full head of dark brown, nearly black hair. I had always been thin, but a renewed post-breakup commitment to regular workouts over the last few months had given me more definition. I looked damn good without a shirt on. I looked damn good in a close-cropped beard, too, which was a recent addition. I was, as I heard my mother say in my head, a catch.

I put on jeans and a nice polo for the group dinner, at a bar and grill across the street. I realized as I walked that I hadn't really thought about who else might be part of this tour. I was a functional introvert - I could hack crowds, parties, and small talk, but usually didn't seek them out. In this situation I'd have to deal with it, I told myself as I entered.

I was a few minutes late. Off to the right there was a bar, and to the left a seating area with a posterboard on an easel announcing our tour dinner. My eyes trailed past it to a long table, and about eight other people... all of them at least twice my age. Of course, that made sense. This kind of trip was made for retirees, not 20-somethings. Still, I felt a bit of apprehension, unsure how well I'd fit in with this crowd. I had no problem keeping my own company, though, so I shrugged it off.

I picked up a nametag and met the tour leader, a local photographer named Kelly who was in her 50s and had the slightly leathery look of someone who had spent most of their days in the sun. She was friendly and we chatted a bit as I wrote out the nametag - Aaron, New York. I wandered over and found a chair at the table. There was room for twelve, and with eight already seated I was among the last to arrive. I idly wondered if we were expecting anyone else.

I'd just gotten my beer when my answer arrived. Two women swept in, and the older one apologized to Kelly for their lateness while the younger of them looked around. She was strikingly beautiful, with wide brown eyes and sharp features. Her chestnut hair fell down a long neck, down below her shoulders. She looked to be in her early 20s, with a slight but athletic build that her bright blue sundress showed off nicely, if not revealingly. She spent a moment on her nametag, giving me a chance to admire an outstanding ass. I couldn't quite make out the name from across the room, and spent a bit too long looking - she caught my eye and flashed a little smile, but with a glint, something more behind it. I smiled awkwardly and turned back to the table as one of my table-mates - Hank, I'd learn later - finished a gregarious story to light laughter. The latecomers took the last seats at the far end of the table.

After we ordered food, we did a round of introductions: our names, where we lived, what kind of photography we did or were interested in.

"I'm Aaron, I'm a high school teacher in Utica New York. I do portrait photography but want to broaden my horizons some." I started. We went down the table. Sue and Gary from New Hampshire seemed nice enough if bland in a really particular suburban New Hampshire way; predictably, they were birders. Lisa from Vermont was about sixty, artsy, thin and gregarious, and loved landscape photography - had even sold prints. Hank was a retired engineer from Boston and a general hobbyist. Tim and Craig, a couple in their 60s from Portland, were semi-pro, selling photos online and at local art shows. Ken and Yvette, an Asian couple from Connecticut, were also semi-pro. The two women at the far end looked at each other, and the youngest spoke first.

"I'm Jessica, and this is my mom Pam. We're from central Mass, near Worcester. We're both newbies as far as photography goes - we're trying to get into it together." Kelly welcomed averyone, and reminded us that this trip was for any photographer no matter the skill level.

Dinner arrived and we dug in, eating around the conversations - what we did for a living, where we lived, the like. I couldn't really make out much of the conversation at the far end - Hank was a loud and frequent talker. The folks closer to me mostly talked among themselves about family, kids, grandkids. I took it in without saying too much. As I finished up my food, Lisa turned to me to ask about teaching. I told her a bit - I'd just finished my third year as a high school history teacher, which came with a decent pay bump and some job security.

"And the old photography club advisor just retired, so I'm taking that over next year - that's one of the reasons I did this, to get more experience with landscape work."

"Well, I'm happy to be a sounding board!" she said, finishing a glass of wine. "So," her tone shifted a bit, "do you have a girlfriend?" Out of habit I almost said yes, but then froze. She misinterpreted that one. "Oh, I'm sorry, or boyfriend? "I'm prying, of course, but... well, I'm old and I've had a couple of glasses of wine, and manners are stupid." We both laughed.

"No, sorry, I paused because I recently split up with someone. My ex-girlfriend. About four months ago now."

And that launched us into The Story, which really wasn't much of one. Amy and I had met in college - my sophomore year, her freshman year. We got together quickly and stayed that way through graduation. I was in a five year dual teaching degree program, which meant we graduated the same year. We got a place together in Utica and that's the way it stayed for a couple of years, until one day, it ended. She said the words but we'd both been feeling the distance. We parted amiably, and had been in touch a bit, but not much. We were just different people than we'd been. As I told the story, Lisa nodded in a way that told me that wasn't a particularly unique experience. She started in on a story about her own college boyfriend. As she talked, I caught Jessica's eye again - she'd been watching me this time.

After dinner, Kelly announced she was sticking around at the bar a bit longer, and we were welcome to join. Hank loudly agreed, while Ken and Yvette pardoned themselves, back to the hotel. Lisa, Gary, and Sue were deep in conversation about bird feeders as I got up and moved over to the bar, but realized that Jessica and her mom were no longer in sight. Assuming they'd left already, I ordered another beer and checked my phone - nothing but a text from my mom asking if I made it okay. I finished a quick reply as my beer arrived. I had just put down a credit card when a voice spoke over my shoulder.

"I guess we're the ones bringing the average age of the tour down under 55." I turned to see her behind me, smiling that smile again. "I'm Jessica." I shook her hand.

"Aaron. And yeah, we do seem to be crashing the old folks' party - at least you brought your own." She laughed, and I decided I liked the feeling.

"Yeah, my mom - we'd been talking about a trip together for a while, and things came together for this."

We traded vital information - school, jobs. She'd graduated the previous year, from a college near Worcester - a psychology major, thinking about med school. She lived with her mom and worked as an administrative assistant at a local hospital while she decided where the rest of her life was headed.

"So what made you two choose this?" I asked, as my beer arrived. "And," I motioned to the bar, "do you want something? On me." Be bold, young man.

She smiled and pushed the hair back over her ear. "Thanks - I'll have the same as you, actually." I turned to the bartender, who nodded and poured another. Jessica took a sip of it. "So, the fake reason for the trip is to get into photography - which we both do want to do. But really, she and my father just split up and it's been hard on her, so this seemed like a good way to get her mind off it."

Almost on cue, Pam - who had been chatting with Hank down the bar - walked over. We traded introductions, and she turned to Jessica.

"It's been a long day, I'm going to head back. Do you want to come with me, or stick around?" Jessica glanced at me, almost apologetically.

"You get your stuff, I'll come back with you." Pam headed back to the table to collect her bag and sweater, and Jessica looked back at me. "Sorry to run, I'm trying to spend as much quality time with her on this trip as I can."

"No problem, that's sweet of you. See you on the drive tomorrow?" I answered.

"Can't wait! Here, you can finish the beer - you paid for it anyway!" She set it down in front of me and they were gone. Just my luck, I thought, as I finished my own beer and picked up hers, barely touched.

Saturday

The first full day was a whirlwind. We started with a tour down the Ocean Drive. A scenic route around the National Park. It was great, with new cliff faces and dramatic views seemingly around every corner, and with the sun still low in the morning sky the light was soft and red and perfect. Our guide, Kelly, seemed to know the drive from rote memory. She spent most of her photo time with the newbies, Jessica and Pam; neither had brought a tripod like most of the rest of us, so they worked on basic manual settings. I struggled at first with the wide angle lens, but Lisa gave me a few pointers on geometry and a few other tips and I was on my way.

Jordan Pond was much of the same. I walked with Jessica for a while, talking about college experiences and a few shared spots in Mass. She was in fact a runner - high school and into college, and she kept up with it. I talked about my own failed attempts at running, and getting back into working out. We talked about my younger sister, who also ran track, and about her family. She was the youngest of three, and the only one who still lived nearby - her older sister was 30 and in Virginia with her family, and her 27 year old brother lived in NYC. Conversation was easy, and we shared a sense of humor, which only increased the attractiveness factor for me. I got the sense it did for her too. As we talked, Pam walked a few feet ahead, quiet.

Once we got to the spot we were aiming for, I started to set up my tripod, eager to play around with my wide-angle. Jessica asked about it, and I mounted my camera to let her take a look. She tried to swivel it but I'd already tightened the head, so I reached around her to loosen it up. My hand brushed hers and she smiled at me.

"Sorry, I'm getting between you and your equipment." She said that last word with a little emphasis, and my eyes widened slightly when she gave me that little smile again. Was she hitting on me? I hadn't been hit on in... a while. If that's what it was, it felt good.

"You just have to be a bit more gentle with the head." She laughed again. Slightly emboldened, I put my hand on the small of her back as I swiveled the camera with her. Suddenly she turned her gaze toward Pam, wandering down the beach a bit, and turned to me with a sort of embarassed look, like she'd forgotten something important.

"Sorry, I should go walk with my mom. I really am trying to spend time with her. But thanks," she made eye contact, "for the lesson." I was crestfallen internally, and wondered if I'd imagined the flirtation; I was clearly rusty picking up signals, so it was possible. I mumbled a "no problem" and watched her head over to Pam.

Craig and Tim had set up a few yards in the other direction, and I decided to go set up with them. They were both regulars in Acadia, as I'd learned on the bus over. They let me experiment a bit with lens filters that allowed for daytime long exposures; I had never really done much of that kind of work so it was eye opening. Still, I found myself glancing a little too often over at Jessica and Pam, who were taking some close up shots of rocks along the shoreline.

"She's cute." Craig said, pointedly, after my fifth or sixth glance.

"Hmm?" I tried to play dumb, but Craig wasn't dumb, so I laughed a bit. "Yeah, you caught me. She's cute."

"So? What are you doing here with a couple of old men instead of chasing after her?"

I filled them in on Pam's story. Tim mostly looked bemused, lining up a shot, and Craig shrugged. "That doesn't sound like a 'no' to me." Tim arched his eyebrows at him, and Craig shrugged, and chuckled in apology. "None of my business though."

"You're probably not wrong. I'm a little gunshy. I just got out of a long term thing with my college girlfriend, and it's been a while since I really tried impress someone. Especially one spending a lot of time with their mom." They laughed.

"Worst you can do is get rejected, and we've all been there. But I get it. You're thoughtful, for a younger guy." This time it was my turn to shrug, and we were back at the photography not long after that.

----------------

A couple hours at Jordan Pond was all we had on the itinerary until a 7pm meetup to head to the top of Cadillac Mountain for sunset shots. We got back to the hotel and went our separate ways. I decided to cool off at the pool, so I went back to the room, rinsed off in the shower, and changed into trunks. With a towel, shades, my room key, and laptop in hand, I made my way over. After a quick dunk, I settled into a chair to enjoy the sun a bit and review some photos from a graduation shoot from right before I left. The pool was pretty quiet, as Ken and Yvette sat on the far end and another couple in their thirties or forties, not from our group, swam together.

I'd just opened the laptop and pulled up Lightroom to do some editing when familiar voices approached. I turned to see Pam, and then Jessica came into view behind her. I think I managed to keep outward reactions to a minimum when I saw her in a blue and white checkered bikini top. It wasn't skimpy exactly, but there was nothing conservative about it either. I silently thanked the unverse for sunglasses as I let my eyes roam over her full tits and her smooth tanned skin.

"Mind if we join you?" Jessica asked, dropping her towel and her own book on the chair, then sliding the white shorts she was wearing down her legs. I got out a relatively normal-sounding "not at all" as I appreciated her legs and her ass up close, while trying not to seem like a perv. She eased onto the chair, extending it out to lie back. Pam was already in the pool.

"You're not going in?" I asked.

"Maybe in a bit?" she answered. "I'm pretty content to lie here for now. Swimming takes energy."

"Yeah, today was a lot, especially with the early wakeup. Did you both have fun?"

"It was great! Kelly showed us a lot, too." We started talking more in-depth about photography, about what we did that day. At some point Hank had shown up - I hadn't noticed him arrive, but I heard his laugh and we glanced over to find him in the pool chatting with Pam.

Eventually, Jessica asked about my own photo work.

"Honestly it's not much, mostly on the side. Family portraits, graduation shots, stuff like that. It's some extra money, and it's fun enough. I do some street photography for the artsier side of things too."

"How did you get into it?" she asked, turning her body to face me and propped her head up on her hand. Without moving my head, I let my eyes slide down her perfect body. Visions of her without the suit, under me, on top of me, around me flashed through my head in an instant, and I had to physically move to stop myself from getting hard in front of her. In real time, though, the pause wasn't terrible, and I managed to pull myself together to answer.

"My dad has always been into photography, and he taught me a bunch as a kid. I didn't do much with it in high school, but my girlfriend in college dragged me into taking a photography class with her. Ironically, it stuck with me, but not with her."

"How long were you together?" Jessica asked, casually.

"Ended up at almost six years. We split up a few months ago."

"Oh, sorry to hear!" she replied, with a slight look of pity.

"It's fine, really. We grew apart. It happens, especially when you met at 19." And there was that smile again, suddenly. I finally decided what was so alluring about it, aside from her full lips: it was a smile that suggested she knew more than she was letting on. An air of mystery.

"Anything since?"

"No, I'm single."

"I didn't necessarily mean a relationship. Flings are good for the soul too."

"I don't have a lot of experience there - I guess I went from high school girlfriend to college girlfriend uninterrupted."

"You're cute, and not obviously a serial killer. I doubt you would have much trouble. There's always time for a new experience." she said, looking right at me. I felt a familiar warmth as she said it and once again had to cool myself off mentally.

"How about you? Any recent relationships, flings, or experiments?" I asked, maybe a bit too casually.

"No real relationships for a while. There was a guy I was seeing a bit but that was pretty casual." I didn't press it further.

Conversation continued, though the topic evolved some. She was saving up to travel, so we talked destinations. We both wanted to see Alaska, and South America. She wanted to see Egypt. The conversation was almost enough to keep me from thinking about her body.

"Are those your photos?" She switched topics abruptly, looking at my laptop.

"Oh, yeah. Just some graduation photos for a local family. Took these a couple weeks ago but my deadline is coming up."

"Can I see some of your other work? Like your own, not client stuff?"

I opened up my photostream and picked out one of my favorite series, of a parade in Utica I'd taken my camera to, my junior year. She got up and moved over to share my lounger, so I shifted over. She sat next to me, our hips touching, as I flipped through. I had little stories for some of them, others she commented on, others we just appreciated silently.