Deliver Us From Evil Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There's some tire tracks here, fresh ones." I said "And they're not heavy trucks nor equipment I'd expect that would be used for the tree-clearing." I pointed out the tire impressions to them. "And they're not the same tires on Cindy's car nor Callie's car."

"You would know what those look like." Teresa said cattily, making the Sheriff bark a laugh.

I had taken my Police iPhone out and was making a call to Intel. "Halston, how can I help you?" said the voice of Auxiliary Detective Terry Halston.

"Ranger Halston, you're not cheering on your fellow Rangers in the race today?" I said jovially.

"Good morning, Commander." Halston said. "I'll step outside at the end of the race and cheer them on. What can I do for you, sir?"

I said "I want you to call the Crime Lab and have them put up some hidden cameras around the backside of Promontory Point, covering the property that belongs to Chief Deputy Ross and the road to it. Take my name in vain and tell them it's Commander Troy that wants them, and make sure they're well hidden so that they're not discovered. And videotape day and night..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tanya P. Muscone was beyond beside herself with happiness. "We have over five hundred entrants to the Wheelchair Race!" she exclaimed as we came up to her. Indeed, College Street, the south border of Courthouse Square, was chock-full of wheelchair racers.

"I'd hate to be on the back end of the line." I said.

Tanya said "They have electronic devices in the number aprons they wear on their chests, just like the regular Triathlon racers. Their clocks won't start until they cross the Start Line, and won't stop until they cross the Finish Line. And the competitive racers are at the front, and they paid more for the privilege."

"Aren't you racing?" I asked, observing that Tanya was in her Police uniform, not racing clothes.

"No, not this year." she said. "I've been handling most of the set-up. It seems Mrs. Myrtle L. James and the Ladies Auxiliary concentrated on the Triathlon and selling food to those watching the race. But I've had plenty of help, so it's no big deal. And I also admit that I'm not in shape for it; I'm doing rehab every Wednesday, but I haven't done anything else."

"Don't feel bad." I said. "I have not been properly training for anything lately, and I need to get back into it."

"Sheriff," Tanya said, "we don't have an official race starter. Can I trouble you to do that for us?"

"Sure!" the Sheriff said most enthusiastically. "Where do I need to be?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And the first groups are coming up University Avenue." said the radio announcer, whose voice was coming to me through the clear earpiece I was wearing. "The Army team of Kalsu and Patrick are in the lead, followed by the EMT team of Brooks and Randolph, and the Police team of Monroe and Laurer. Jay and Waitimu of the BOW Enterprises are in fourth..."

"Wow." said Teresa as she and I waited at the finish line at The Fairgrounds. She was also listening to the radio broadcast. "I didn't expect the EMT team to do so well."

I said "They started working out, running, and really getting in shape for Airborne Day." (Author's note: 'Jump!'.) "So they decided to run in the Triathlon. Works for me. By the way, do you miss running in the Race?"

Teresa shook her head. "I'm glad I did it. I'm glad I won when I raced. But no, I don't miss the training for it. It was really grueling." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

The radio announcer said "And here comes Daniel Patrick, turning onto Riverside Drive from North Street, well in the lead. He is running hard, not letting up one bit. The EMT team's Kevin Randolph is two hundred yards behind Patrick, and the Police team's Joan Laurer is in a solid third, three hundred yards behind Randolph, but running hard to shorten that distance. Waitimu is running like the wind after her, but there's not much distance left..."

I heard the cheers in front of the Police Station as Daniel Patrick ran down Riverside Drive, then saw him as he turned into the road to The Fairgrounds, running between the EMS Headquarters Building and the Crime Lab building on either side of the street. Then he seemed to push even harder to get to the tape and run through it. Robert Kalsu was there to greet him, and they exchanged a hug.

Teresa and I were going to go over and congratulate them, but they moved away from us. And then we were distracted by the cheering from in front of the EMS building as Kevin Randolph ran by, then crossed the finish line. As Teresa and I congratulated him and Ellen Brooks, Joan Laurer crossed the line with Waitimu a mere 20 yards behind. We went over and congratulated them all, but Joan wanted no part of it.

"I'm sorry, sir." Joan said. "We let the Police Force down."

"Not at all." I replied. "You both did extremely well."

And then I happened to hear Daniel Patrick as he gave Alison McFarland an interview. He glanced slyly in our direction as he said loudly: "We want to thank the U.S. Army Recruiting Station for sponsoring us. It's great to represent the U.S. Army." Teresa had caught it, too, and was looking at me.

I said "Yeah, it's time to give a couple of people attitude adjustments."

A moment later, Alison McFarland came up to me. I thought she wanted an interview, but she handed Keith Madden, who was acting as her cameraman, her microphone, then said quietly to me "Don, Keith and Geiger are working on that case you asked us to look at. They're starting to find some stuff."

"Let's talk Monday." I said. Alison went back to her work, and I went back to congratulating racers as they finished their races...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sunday, July 4th. The Troy Clan went as a large group to The Fairgrounds for the picnic and fireworks show. Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, founder and great leader of The Vision self-help empire, was with Cindy, Callie, Betsy, baby Ben and Tim Jenkins, and he (Dr. Eckhart) made a point to hold his grandson for the entire evening, including the bottle-feeding. Betsy apparently was a bit miffed, so she waddled over to me and sat on my legs.

The College Republicans had been selling the blue shirts with 'Celebrate The Fourth!', and Paulina and Tasha were attired in those shirts together, which made both mother and daughter proud. Jim and Ian also wanted shirts like those, as did Carole and Marie, and Laura obliged them and bought four of them. The smallest size was still big on them, but they didn't care.

By way of contrast, Ross did not want a blue shirt. I asked him why not, and he said "I'm Canadian, too, Dad.", which caused me to glance at Molly, who just shrugged her shoulders.

"I haven't said a word to him about any of that," Molly said, "except to explain to him that he's a dual citizen but a natural-born American."

Jim gave Ross a hard time about that, but Dad intervened on Ross's behalf and told Jim that Ross could make his own decisions about the shirt he was wearing. Carole also intervened on Ross's behalf, mostly to give Jim a hard time. Then Tasha told Carole to mind her manners, and she (Tasha) laughed like she'd told the winning dad joke when Carole gave her a 'look'. Daddy restored order with a couple of 'looks' in their general directions.

The fireworks show was very good, accompanied by patriotic music. As it ended and everyone left for home, I stopped by Police Headquarters. There had been no incidents, no marches, no protests, and only a few people (white University students) walking around with signs saying 'Stop Police Brutality'. All in all, it was a good weekend...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:00am, Monday, July 5th. Police Officers were working out in the gym when Daniel Patrick and Robert Kalsu came in.

"You wanted to see us, ma'am?" Kalsu said to Teresa Croyle.

"Yes, I did." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle. "Go into that mat room and suit up."

"Ma'am?" Patrick said inquiringly. He then saw that the Boxing Ring was set up, and inside it was Joan Laurer.

"Go suit up. Both of you." Teresa said. "Your attitude regarding who this Police Force sponsored for the Triathlon was noted... and not appreciated. Go. That is not a request."

Kalsu and Patrick went into the mat room to find two suits of plastic armor and a red and a blue helmet. "I don't know what this is about," said Kalsu, "but if Laurer wants a fight, I'm ready to give her one."

"Me too." said Patrick. They donned the equipment and went into the gym. They found the entire room darkened, and everyone circling the Boxing Ring. And Laurer was not the person inside it... it was Your Iron Crowbar. I was in armor and my Wildcat helmet with the Clan Troy logo. Lt. Rudistan was attired in his referee gear.

"Would you like a shot... at the real title?" I said, throwing an orange crowbar onto the floor in front of Patrick.

"Don't mind if I do." said Patrick. He picked up the orange crowbar and climbed into the ring. Rudistan gave his instructions, we went to our corners...

*DING!*

The bell rang, and we engaged in crowbar combat. Yes, Daniel Patrick was two days removed from running (and winning) a full triathlon, but he was around a decade younger than me and had trained for the Police Boxing Matches as well as the Triathlon. And he'd been copping (pun not intended) an attitude at me picking Laurer over him for the TCPD's sponsorship in the Triathlon.

Bu-ut... he had two problems. First, his training was based upon Army Ranger training and Police SWAT tactics. And as the Green Crowbar had often observed, even Green Beret training was woefully inadequate compared to various martial arts.

*CLANG!* *WHANG!* *CRUNCH!*

The crowd started murmuring, then began cheering for one side or the other. I was not playing my 'Commander Data' Stratagema strategy of holding the draw; instead, I was taking the fight right to Patrick, and I was landing blows. Patrick did what I expected, and counterattacked rather than defend, and found himself being thrown hard to the canvas by some neat advanced Aikido and Judo throws I'd been working on.

"What is this about?" Kalsu asked Teresa as they watched.

"It's about who's in charge, here." Teresa said to him. "This is how they settled things in the Army in my daddy's day in the Viet Nam era. And you better be taking notes... you're next."

*WHUMP!*

Patrick had attacked hard, and walked right into a throw. I twisted his arm behind him and put pressure on the nerves around his shoulder blades, causing him pain. It wasn't quite enough for a pin for Rudistan's three-count, but Patrick had had enough and said "I yield." I got off him and went to a neutral corner, and was declared the winner.

We bowed to each other, then as Patrick left the ring, I took his orange crowbar and threw it onto the floor in front of Kalsu. He accepted the challenge.

His plan to be more cautious failed. Whenever he held back, I attacked vigorously. When he attacked or counterattacked, I used that against him. I beat him up pretty solidly, and when I forced him to the floor with a throw similar to the one that Patrick succumbed to, Kalsu yielded.

Everyone cheered the match, then went back to their own workouts. Teresa had Kalsu and Patrick stay in place until I came up to them.

"Gentlemen," I said severely, "the next time you want to show any attitude about who I select to represent the TCPD in the Triathlon, I suggest you remember this morning. And if you want to win the Police Boxing Matches title, and thus be considered to represent the TCPD in the Race, I suggest you work on your skills... a lot. My disappointment in what I faced in that ring this morning cannot be overstated."

"Yes sir." Patrick said diplomatically. "And our apologies for any disrespect."

"Accepted." I said. "Now get out of my sight."

As they left, Teresa said "I think they got the message."

"And unlike Snowflakes in our schools and the military now, especially in the Administrative positions... we solved that like real men..." then I added "...and women who should be carrying crowbars, but think they don't need one..."

"And some of us don't." Teresa replied cooly...

Part 4 - Rank Has Its Privileges

10:00am, Monday, July 11th. I asked Senior Detectives Joanne Laurer, Teddy Parker, Theo Washington, and Christopher Purvis to come to Classroom 'J'. Lt. Commander Croyle was waiting with me for them. When they arrived, I had them sit down at desks in the four corners of the room, separated as widely as possible.

I said "The State Police Lieutenant exams were standardized two years ago, as part of an effort to gather larger quantities of relevant data, and also to determine and prevent racial and gender discrimination. They adopted Midtown's exam as the State exam, then began designing a new exam."

Me: "The Governor asked the TCPD... well, mostly me... to study the four exams they came up with, to determine the best one. And I'm going to use you guys as my guinea pigs." Teresa handed each of them a test, an answer booklet, and pencils.

I said "Please don't talk to each other during the examination period, nor share answers or notes. The four tests are different, so it'd be a moot point if you do. We'll be monitoring you from my office."

After starting them off, Teresa and I went back to my office, and Teresa was surprised when I really did turn on my television monitor to a feed of the four Detectives taking their exams. After some moments, I got a call on my personal iPhone from Alison McFarland.

"Don," Alison said after initial greetings, "I think they may be on to us."

"How so?" I asked.

Alison said "Geiger and Madden have twice noticed that they were being followed while driving around. The followers were amateurs and pretty obvious, and my guys were able to shake the tails pretty quickly."

Alison: "Also, I have a secret source in the Military. Everyone else calls him 'General', but I call him 'Dad'. He said they've been trying to hide some things involving FISA warrants from him, but he found out quickly enough that they're monitoring the Town & County Examiner phones and employees's phones... and the TCPD's phones, as well."

I said "That sounds like the Government more than the Church. You think the Feds are carrying the Church's dirty water?"

Alison said "I don't know. We're being careful, and I'm going to buy us some more burners."

I said "Listen, do this: buy every burner at a different location, and make sure they're not from the same lot numbers of manufacture. And repeat that every few days, or if you think they're watching you or listening in. Make sure they're different lots from different stores at different times."

"I'll do it." Alison said.

"Also," I said, "I think we need to be careful about meeting. I won't come to the Examiner offices again, nor will I send Teresa. Every time any of us meet, it has to look natural and coincidental, and we can't repeat the patterns."

"You're good at this cloak-and-dagger stuff." Alison said. "What, does Laura talk in her sleep?"

I chuckled, then said "And when she's awake. She trains me and our kids almost constantly, and has been for years..."

After disconnecting, I looked up to see Teresa peering at me. "Trouble?" she asked.

"I dunno." I said, then told her what was said in the phone conversation. I then said "What worries me is that it seems more like the Federal Government doing the surveillance than the Church.

"I dunno." said Teresa. "The Church would probably be more inept in tailing a car than the Feds would be."

"True." I said. "Unless..." I went into a reverie. When I came out of it, Teresa was doing Police work on her Police iPad. I said "Let's go take our four Senior Detectives to lunch, shall we?"

"The Cop Bar it is." Teresa replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When the four Senior Detectives got back from lunch, they found MCD empty of Detectives. So they felt free to talk.

"I just need to say this." said Joanne Warner. "I've been studying for the Lieutenant's Exam off and on for a couple of years now. The test I took looked pretty much like the standard ones I studied."

Teddy Parker said "Yeah, mine did too. I thought maybe mine was the control standard, and that y'all's were different, since you're black or a woman, or a nerd like Purvis."

Purvis grinned as he took the ribbing good-naturedly. Then he said "Yeah, mine seemed like one of the older tests I practiced on a while back. I was going to go for Lieutenant, and then they started the Intel branch and put me in it, so I've held off."

Joanne said "Well, in Commander Troy we trust. All others, we arrest." Everyone broke out laughing at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am, Tuesday, July 12th. Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone arranged for us to have a meeting with FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone and DEA Supervisory Special Agent Dwight Stevens. Waiting for them in the Conference Room were Tanya, Chief Moynahan, Me, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Captain Claire Michaels.

There was a knock on the door, followed by it opening and Dwight Stevens looking in. "Hey, do any of you know our newest Agent here?" He then opened the door further, revealing the new Agent's identity.

"Lorena!" Claire Michaels exclaimed as Lorena Rose, former TCPD Detective and LAPD Lieutenant, bounded into the room. Claire got up and went around the table and the women exchanged an enthusiastic hug. Then I was the recipient of a bear hug from Lorena, then everyone else hugged her.

After having her sit down, Lorena said "They made me a Lieutenant in the LAPD, then sat me down behind a desk. I tried to get into Major Crimes there when Claire left, but that Division is falling apart now with all the 'Woke' stuff going on. So... who do I have to thank for being offered this job with the DEA?"

"That would be Claire." I said. "I just lied like a dog in the shade and gave you a great reference when they called me about you." Everyone laughed.

Claire said "I might've mentioned your name to Karina White, even though she moved to the SBI-OER. I guess she passed your name on to the right people."

Teresa asked "So where are you based? Here? Southport?"

Lorena said "I'm going to be up here, for the most part. Probably working out of Lexington, but you guys will be seeing a lot of me up here."

"I hope not." I said. As everyone looked at me, I said "I'm hoping we won't have any work to provide you." There were polite chuckles at the joke that fell flat.

Dwight Stevens said "Lorena is familiar with the tri-State area, having worked for the TCPD in the past. But she'll be all over the place."

I said "Just be aware that since she was in the TCPD, she is known to 'The Teacher', and therefore is probably useless for undercover work in this area."

Jack Muscone said "She's coming in as a Supervisory Special Agent, so she'll be a boss more than an undercover Agent. And we're hoping that with her good connections to you guys, especially to Captain Michaels, that she can be our liaison to you when we need one."

"And we will need that." Tanya said, fooling no one; we knew she was reinforcing her husband's hope for that.

I said "It'll be good, especially with Captain Michaels and our Vice Squad. So! Is this meeting just to introduce Lorena, or is there more?"

"Oh, there's more." said Dwight Stevens. "This 'Toyota Gang' you've been trying to find? There are very similar gangs operating roughly along the River. A gang has been operating the Midtown northwest suburbs, near the old Pine Valley project," (Author's note: 'Environmental Hazards') "and yet another one southwest of Midtown, in the Jacksonville-Southport corridor."

Dwight Stevens: "The gang in the southwest part of the State uses a black Toyota Avalon as well as a black Camry, and the Midtown suburbs gang uses Toyota Priuses. M.O.s are the same: they wear all black and are completely unidentifiable, they change up stolen car tags after they hit a convenience store."