Demon Queened Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

The graveyard gate let out a familiar squeal as it opened, just as it always did. Once again, I considered whether I should bring oil on my next visit. It wasn't really my responsibility, but I'm sure that's what everyone else thought as well! Besides, the gate was the entrance to the graveyard - it set the tone for the entire visit. It was worth fixing, and I did have the money...

Actually, I made a lot of money as an adventurer, doing jobs that were too dangerous for most, though I often ended up giving a lot of it back. Really, while I needed enough to support myself, I didn't adventure for the gold! I did it to help people. That's what a Heroine was supposed to do, after all! And fixing the gate would be another way of doing that.

That settled it. Next time I was definitely going to remember to bring oil! Decision made.

I continued to hum to myself as I wound my way down the graveyard path. There were a couple of other mourners in the area, but none of them were close to the route I took. That was fine, though! Everyone was here to talk to someone important to them, after all. It was best to assume people wanted privacy during times like that.

It didn't take me long to spot the proper grave. Despite the squeaky gate, the church graveyard was actually a pretty fancy place! Almost every tombstone had some form of ornate design. Even my mom's grave marker couldn't escape that. It was a stone statue, carved to look like a tree.

I had actually wanted them to plant a real tree on her grave, but they said it was impossible. As it was, letting a commoner like my mom into the church's attached graveyard was a big deal. There were only so many plots within actual city limits, after all!

Or that's what they told me, anyway. Actually, I really wanted to bury my mother next to the cottage where we'd lived together, but Father Tuffel told me that wouldn't do. The Heroine's mother had to be buried properly, on sanctified land. So she was here, instead.

I stared morosely at the grave for a moment, then shook my head fiercely to try and cast off any negativity.

"Sorry mom," I apologized, putting on my brightest smile. "I came to update you on my life, and all I'm thinking about is death! That's not right."

My mom didn't answer, of course. There was no way she could! But I didn't need a verbal response to know that she was listening to me, just like Father Tuffel always said. She was always watching over me from heaven.

"Let's see... Where do I start?" I muttered, mostly to myself. "I've been beating up monsters a lot, so I'm way stronger than I was eight months ago! Father Tuffel says I won't see real growth until I go on the battlefield, but I think the fighting skills I'm picking up as an adventurer will help more than anything! Though I still have a long way to go..."

I paused and turned about in a circle to ensure there was absolutely no one near me. Then I crouched down next to the grave, cupped my hand to my mouth, and began to loudly whisper. "By the way, mom, I totally had sex! And I know, I know, the church says I'm not supposed to have sex without procreation, but everyone does it anyway! I just have to pay the proper fees at the church, and everything's okay, right? And it was totally worth it!"

I reached into my purse and pulled out a tin ingot. Taking hold of it in both hands, I poured magic into the metal and began to twist its shape. The speed of my sculpting caused the tin to get hot in my hands, but it wasn't enough to burn me. I could even stick my hand into a campfire without any issues, so this wasn't going to be a problem! Within moments, I had the perfect miniature sculpture of Eena.

"This is her," I told my mom. "Her name's Eena. And..." Again, I looked all around me, this time going so far as to suffuse some of my magic through the air. Once I was absolutely certain no one was listening, I again cupped my hand to my mouth and began to whisper, much softer than before. "I'm not sure she's human. I've never met anyone who can wield magic like she does. And she's even physically stronger than I am! It's super suspicious, but... I remember what you taught me. Demons are people, too. And I know Eena has a good heart! So, whatever she's doing in human lands, I want to help her."

I hesitated for a moment, and then added the words that had been weighing on my mind. "I really hope she isn't serving the Demon Queen, though... I know demons are just people, the same as us, but... She's the only one I can't forgive. I'm sure she's evil. In fact, she's probably the one who turned the demons against humans to begin with!"

Mom always told me that hatred was like poison for the soul. She believed that there was good in everyone, and I was sure she would say the same about the Demon Queen. But...I wasn't as strong as my mom had been.

I never wanted to fight. If the Demon Queen hadn't sent her assassins, I probably wouldn't be interested in going to war at all. But the Demon Queen already made the first move... I didn't like the rage that flowed through me when I thought of her, but I knew that I had to channel it into a force for justice.

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll make sure no one else has to go through what we did, ever again. I'll definitely take out the Demon Queen - no matter what!"