Different Circles

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She smiled. "It's in the past now and we're all pleased that you're here today. Sarah will be delighted, but she's a little busy right now and will no doubt see you later, after the game. Now, this is a happy day, Charlotte is playing her fourth game today, although it's her debut one-day game for the first team."

I chatted with Chloe, Constance and Grace before they went to meet others and I sat alongside the woman who I'd not yet spoken to. She turned to me. She looked familiar, beautiful, had light make-up, lovely warm eyes and was about my age. "Hello, are you a friend of the family?"

"Sort of. I met Hayley and Sarah a couple of years ago and I've stayed in touch with Sarah ever since, but this is the first time we've met up again and when she heard that I was in town, invited me to join her family today."

"That's nice. So, what brings you to town?"

"I have a thing here in the city, tomorrow."

I started my reply, "I'm going to a gig tomorrow..." I didn't get any further before the penny dropped. My hand went to my mouth, "Bloody hell, you're Faith...." I trailed off.

She smiled, actually started to laugh, "It's okay. Yes, I'm that Faith and it's nice that you're a fan."

"I'm sorry about the swearing, but I honestly didn't think that I'd ever find myself speaking to Faith Shadow."

"Well, I assume that you're also a cricket fan. So am I, but not usually actually at a game in person. My Dad's also here today, but he's down there somewhere watching the warm up's. He's cricket-mad." The two teams were on the field going through their pre-match exercises. "Are you a big fan? Do you see many games?"

It was my turn to smile. "I've been here, at this ground many times, although not for a couple of years. I saw Hayley and Sarah play here and in Australia, long story."

"Were your parents' fans?"

"No, they hate cricket." I sighed. "My Grandad was the head groundsman here for many years and I used to come with him. That's how I met them, Hayley and Sarah, he knew them."

"How long ago was that?"

"On their wedding day, I gave them a horseshoe that I'd made. They were my heroes, princesses. I wanted to be like them."

"You couldn't have been very old."

"I was ten. I hadn't seen them in person to speak to again until I spoke to Sarah at the funeral." I paused and there was silence for a minute or so. "Chloe was at a lecture I gave recently. She looked familiar and when I found out that her name was Sharp, I realised that she was related to Hayley and that she'd been on a television programme with Sarah. She's Hayley's double at that age."

I went to fetch a coffee refill for us both. Faith Shadow, I could hardly believe it. "Thanks, Kirstie. You said that you gave a lecture, is that what you do?"

"No, well... no. I'm a biologist and do genetic research for a company on the University campus. I give the occasional lecture, two or three a year."

"So, what was your subject?"

"The lecture that Chloe attended was about giraffes."

"Giraffe and genetics, how does that work?" She looked puzzled and laughed at the same time.

"There are several different types of giraffes in Africa and it was always assumed that they were subspecies, related if you like. Then they discovered that there are four separate, genetically isolated species. I was asked to help with some of that genetic work. Don't get me started though, once I warm up, I could talk about it all day." We both laughed.

"What do you usually research then, if it's not giraffe?"

"My team look at a few things, but the main one is amplifying DNA. I can't tell you any more though."

"Don't tell me it's top secret and you'd have to kill me?" She smiled; she was quite beautiful in person.

"No, it's not that secret, but it's complex and I would probably kill you with boredom."

There was a whoop from behind and we both turned to see Olivia wrapping her arms around the neck of an older, very distinguished-looking man. I gasped when I recognised him and so did Faith. I turned to her, "You are a fan if you know Graham Dowling. Can there be any more celebrities here today?"

"My Dad will die when he gets here. Have you met him before?"

"Yes, but I doubt if he'll remember me." He came over with Olivia and she made introductions.

"Faith, nice to meet you. I'm not a huge music fan, but even a dinosaur like me has heard of you."

She smiled as she replied, "Well, I've certainly heard of you. Nice to meet you."

He turned to me and took both of my hands, smiling affectionately, as he did so. "You've grown up Kirstie. I doubt if I could get you onto my shoulders again, I'm too old and you're a little bigger now." I blushed and he turned to Faith. "I knew her grandfather, spoke to him here many times and we've shared a beer or two." He turned back to me. "Sorry about his passing. I was in Australia at the time and wasn't able to be there."

I was stunned, both about grandad and him remembering me. "I understand and it's okay. I'm surprised that you remember me though."

"Hayley and Sarah's wedding was an amazing event, not just for them, but also for women's cricket, it raised the profile of the game. I remember you from that day and your grandfather also told me how proud he was of you the day you received your doctorate. Maybe later we'll get the chance to reminisce."

"Thanks, I'd like that." I blushed and sat down again as he went to speak to someone else.

"On his shoulders? That has to be a story?" Faith grinned at me.

"When the wedding photos were being taken, Graham was speaking to my grandad and having a beer. He lifted me onto his shoulders so that I could see better. He also teased me. I didn't know who he was until later and I was shocked when I found out he was the England captain and a national hero."

"Have you really got a ticket for my gig?" I nodded. "Who are you going with, boyfriend, husband, partner?"

I looked down into my mug. "Just me and there isn't anyone significant. I split with my girlfriend three years ago and there isn't anyone."

"Sorry, that wasn't meant to be personal, but I'm surprised that someone so gorgeous doesn't have a queue of people chasing you."

"Sitting next to you, I'm positively plain."

She didn't get the chance to respond as her father arrived and he'd only said a few words before his eyes opened wide. "Sorry, Kirstie, nice to meet you, but that's Graham Dowling."

Faith and I both laughed, it caused Graham to look over to us, so I waved at him and he came over.

"Mr Dowling, this is Faith's father and he seems to be a bit of a fan of yours."

"It's Graham, Kirstie," he turned and stuck out a hand. "Graham Dowling, nice to meet you. Why don't we get a coffee and leave these two to gossip?"

*****

The game started slowly, Charlotte's team had won the toss and asked the opposition to bat first. The two sides seemed to be evenly matched and there wasn't much excitement until Charlotte came on to bowl and then the tension in our box ratcheted up. She bowled well, took three wickets and later a catch on the boundary. Faith and I had sat together watching and chatting about the cricket, my work and her music. I was impressed with her, she was great company.

In between innings, we sat down to a delightful lunch with some nice Chardonnay and there was a great chat between the guests. Graham Dowling talked about cricket, told funny stories and kept us well entertained. I got the chance to speak to Chloe who asked me more about the wedding day, my work and my time in Australia.

When the cricket got underway again, I sat with Graham and we talked about my grandfather. He told me that he loved playing at this ground because the wicket was always true, had a consistent bounce, and gave both teams a chance rather than some pitches at other grounds that were set to favour the home side. He knew about my parents, the difficulties I'd encountered and although I knew that grandad loved me and was proud of me, he'd confided in Graham and told him just how proud he was. "He loved you very, very much and said that he thought that you'd turned out pretty well and hoped that he'd contributed to that."

I sat quietly for a moment before I replied, "He was a rock and I adored him. My success is entirely down to his influence. I miss him, but I'm thankful that I had him in my life. Thank you, Graham, meeting you today has meant a lot to me." I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

Just at that point, Olivia came over. She looked at me with a stern face, "I hope that you're not putting a move on this man, if anyone is having him it's me." With that, she smiled at me, put her arm around his waist and led him away to meet someone else.

I sat beside Faith again. "That was a long chat, did you get the chance to reminisce?"

"Yes, what a lovely man and I enjoyed talking about my grandad."

"What was Olivia talking about, if anyone was having him...?"

"Oh, he told me that he'd fallen in love with Sarah years ago when she was in her teens and then after the funeral whenever he meets Olivia, she flirts with him. It's just a thing that winds Sarah up, the two of them are tight."

We kept up a non-stop conversation all afternoon as the game progressed. Charlotte's team were playing well and it looked as though they would triumph, being able to score runs freely and they didn't lose many wickets. "Looks like a victory is close and I'm so pleased that I was able to be here today, maybe when I stop so much touring, I'll be able to see more games."

"Is that part of your plan? To tour less?" I asked.

"Yes, this will be my last actual tour, I'll still do gigs, but they will be one off's and a little less of the lights, dancers, a smaller band, less razzmatazz. I want to concentrate on writing and producing other people's music."

"Will you miss the glitz?"

"No, I loved it to start with, but it gets tiring after a while. I love performing, but it becomes a job more than fun."

"I don't get much fun at work, but I do get a great deal of satisfaction when we achieve something. I love my team; I can't imagine not doing what I'm doing," I paused, "and I never wanted to be a rock star."

Faith laughed, "But what you do is important, it could change things, affect people's lives, that makes you far more of a rock star than me."

At that point, the winning runs were scored and we all stood up to cheer and applaud.

Twenty minutes and a glass of champagne later, Sarah appeared at the door. She was hugged by her girls, then Olivia who was elbowed aside by Graham Dowling. They were all laughing. Eventually, Sarah got free and came over to Faith and me.

"It's nice to see you both and you seem to have got to know each other."

Faith took Sarah's hand, "Congratulations, you did well and so did Charlotte."

"Thanks, she's busy right now and you'll see her back at the house if you can come." She turned to me, "Kirstie, thanks for coming. Can you come back with us; I'd love to chat with you?"

"That's kind, I loved being here today and meeting everyone but I'm an outsider and...."

"No," she was emphatic, "you're family now and that's an end to that discussion, please come."

I nodded, "Okay thank you." I wasn't sure how I'd become family, but I wasn't going to argue.

*****

Eventually, we all left to go to Sarah and Olivia's home and for the first time, I met Charlotte. She came over to me and smiling said, "So, you were at the 'wedding'? Chloe was excited to meet you and told us all about how you shocked her after the lecture. You realise that all her pals are impressed that she knows you?"

"I didn't know that and I still feel a bit guilty about approaching her. I upset her a bit."

"She said that you were upset as well."

"I was. I was in awe of Hayley and Sarah, probably had a crush on them, but I was young and foolish. I followed their careers, saw them play several times as I grew up. When I heard about the accident it affected me, I don't mean in the same way it affected you, but I felt as if a part of me was...."

"Well, it's good that you've reconnected with us now."

Sarah and I chatted for about twenty minutes. She was even nicer in person than I'd ever imagined and was still a stunning woman with a lovely smile.

"It looks as if Faith's nose is bothering her, she's finally heading for the music room." I turned around to see Faith halfway across the lawn to a large glass-fronted garden room where the three girls and Constance's friend were playing.

"I was stunned to meet her. I've got a ticket for tomorrow. She's lovely and I've had a great day. I think I may have annoyed Olivia," Sarah looked puzzled, "I think I've fallen for Graham too."

Sarah laughed loudly, "He says he's been in love with me for about thirty years and now Olivia flirts with him."

"I saw that, she accused me of making a move on him."

"He's a wonderful guy; great company and I'd never have achieved what I have without his advice. He's madly in love with his wife and sadly, she's now in a nursing home. He visits every day unless he's away like now."

"I chatted with him about my grandad, that was lovely."

"I liked him as well, I think he had a soft spot for Hayley. Okay, must circulate and you have to stay in touch."

I was left alone and when I glanced out of the windows saw Faith pick up a guitar. I stood and wandered over to the music room.

*****

Faith sat on the edge of the couch and positioned an acoustic guitar on her knee. She strummed a couple of times as if get the feel of it and then took a breath before she started to play. I'd never heard this song before; it was soft, it expressed love for someone who was not yet in her life and who didn't know how she felt. It left me holding my breath until she finished, then there was a pause and I realised everyone was also doing the same, then we applauded.

Constance broke the silence that followed, "That's beautiful, is that new?"

"I wrote it recently; I have no idea who it refers to and only half a dozen people have heard it. In fact, you are the first 'members of the public' to hear it." She made finger gestures around members of the public. "It's the type of music I want to write and perform in the future, I have another couple that are in that same style but..."

"It's wonderful," I muttered.

Faith stood up, "Now, I heard some interesting playing as I came over and I'd like to play with you. That okay?"

The four girls stood with open mouths, but eventually, they nodded in agreement. Faith kept hold of the guitar she was holding, Constance was still sitting at her drums, Grace went over to the keyboard, Charlotte and Chloe had electric guitars. Faith suggested one of her own songs and they started. It wasn't polished, but they played with enthusiasm and some skill, more than I expected, although that seems cruel, I didn't know how accomplished they were. By the time they'd finished the girls were beaming and Faith suggested another two songs which they played. I sat on the sofa and listened. I looked at the girls, they were all attractive and I could see that they all shared some of their mother's features. Grace was also attractive and I realised that these four were going to break some hearts. I studied Faith and saw something different from when I'd seen her performances on screen, she was more relaxed and smiled a lot. She encouraged the girls and gave them pointers in a kind, almost maternal way. She was enjoying this session and so was I. She is gorgeous, possibly there was something else about her that I couldn't put my finger on.

*****

It was almost 2 am when I finally climbed into my bed. I'd been drinking all day so I knew that I was, at best tipsy and at worst drunk. It had been an amazing day; the cricket was great; Charlotte had played well and her team had won. Meeting Sarah again was good, knowing that she and Olivia had managed to move on made me happy. Meeting Faith Shadow and Graham Dowling was the icing on an already delightful cake. Faith was gorgeous, good fun and terrific company. I dreamed about her that night.

The gig

When I arrived at the venue for the concert, I noticed a lady standing with a sign that had my name on it. "Hello, that's my name, is something wrong?"

"Doctor Hunter?" I nodded. "Follow me please." I tried to ask where we were going and what this was about, but there were too many people and if the lady had heard me, she'd chosen not to answer. She opened a door for me and we were backstage beyond the public areas. When she showed me into a decent-sized room that was about half full, I spotted Constance, Chloe, Charlotte and Grace.

"Hello, I hadn't expected to meet you again so soon. What's all this?"

"Faith arranged tickets for us, we hadn't been able to get them. You mentioned having a ticket. There's a bar, so join us for a drink." Chloe was grinning and raised her wine glass. I was handed a drink and the door opened to allow Faith to enter. She was in full make-up and dressed in her stage outfit, which covered most of her body, but left lots of suggestive flesh visible.

"Hello ladies, glad you all made it and I'm pleased they managed to catch you, Kirstie. I've arranged for you to watch from a small VIP section and then back here for a few drinks afterwards. Now, love you all, but must fly and get wired for sound." She said 'hi' to a few others in the room and disappeared.

Half an hour later we were shown to the VIP area and the concert started. Faith was on form and her performance was amazing. She introduced each of her band and then said, "I like this city," which got a cheer from the crowd before she continued, "I got to meet up with some old friends and met some new ones. Thanks for coming."

There were two encores and by the time Faith left the stage we were all exhausted from dancing and having fun. It was back to the green room and more wine. I didn't get much chance to speak to Faith for long as quite a few people wanted her attention. I managed to thank her for the evening and for her company before I headed home leaving the girls enjoying themselves and chatting with Faith's band.

For the second night, I lay in bed with a big grin on my face. Meeting Faith had been wonderful and I'd love to have her as a friend, but we moved in different circles and she, I guessed, lived elsewhere in the country.

Invitation

I was busy studying a computer printout when Yvonne, my secretary, told me that I had a phone call. I flopped down into my office chair as I lifted the handset. "Hi, Kirstie Hunter."

"Doctor Hunter, I'm Abigail Farmer and I work for Shadow Music Productions as a PA to Faith Shadow."

"Oh, okay and how can I help you?"

"I understand that you're a friend, someone she met recently."

I was puzzled to be described as a friend, "Well, we did meet recently, that's correct."

"Faith is playing the final gig of her tour at the O2 in London next Saturday and she would like you to attend as her guest."

I was stunned now, "That's nice but..."

Abigail interrupted me, "If you can make it, I'll send you all the details and arrange a hotel for you, for after the gig. Would that be, okay?"

I was in a daze but simply said yes before she rang off, promising to be in touch.

*****

Two days later Yvonne brought me a padded envelope. "A courier just delivered this for you. Looks important, so I brought it straight over."

I looked at the envelope and saw Shadow Music Productions' return address. "I think this is a ticket for a gig." I used a knife to slice open the envelope and the contents slipped onto the lab bench I was using. A letter, a train ticket and a lanyard with a pass.

Yvonne gasped when she saw the pass, "Kirstie, what? Faith Shadow, VIP guest - How the hell did you get this?"

I looked at the pass. It was a fancy-looking thing, like a credit card and a fancy lanyard that wasn't anything like the cheap ones that we used. "I met her through a friend recently and went to her gig here a couple of weeks ago. I didn't expect to hear from her again."