Diplomacy: A Princess's Guide Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well," he coughed again, "I needed her alive!" He cleared his throat. "So I forced it down her throat. I mean look at her, she already is skinny!"

"Lex, are you okay?" Kassandra asked and patted his back.

"I am fine," he nodded, his cheeks red as tomatoes, "just some wine went down the wrong pipe."

His brown eyes caught mine as he smirked, trying not to look embarassed and the memory flashed back into my mind.

"That was a stupid thing to do," the Queen sighed, "she could have died from choking!"

"Yes, I agree, I shouldn't have done that, I am sorry, Enya."

I didn't say anything, but concentrated on the meal in front of me, thinking about that moment, while I ate.

After I had finished, I excused myself and went back to my room.

They didn't need me there and I wanted to be alone for the night.

***

Two days later...

I fell on my bed, not even bothering to close the window.

The weather was hot and I had the feeling of being wrapped in a blanket.

The room was quiet, only the small sounds from the night were coming through the open window, soothing and lulling me into sleep.

My head was full of images and thoughts, running through my head at an uncontrolled pace.

It was too much to take in, everything was a mess and I couldn't think straight anymore.

I just wanted to lie down and disappear from the world.

A knock on the door disturbed my thoughts and I rolled around to look at it.

"Princess, it's me, Aedan, can I come in?" A voice said from the other side.

"Sure," I said, and Aedan walked in, closing the door behind him.

"Are you alright, Princess?" he asked and I nodded, before rolling around, hiding my face in the pillow.

"I doubt you would hide your face in a pillow, if you were alright."

Why did he even fucking care? It was easier hating him, when he was pushy and infuriating, not, when he was caring.

"I just wanted some time for myself. Please leave," I said and hid my face in the pillow, trying my hardest to ignore him.

I knew, that he didn't leave. Instead I heard footsteps and my bed dip with his weight.

"Not until I am sure that you are alright. I can smell, that you are tired and emotional, Princess."

"Then stuff your nose, Aedan. It is no business of yours," I told him and turned around to face him.

He chuckled, before he said, "If you say so, Princess, but that's not going to help."

"What do you want?" I asked and propped myself up, looking at him, as he leaned back on the bed, resting against the wall. I tried not to observe his flexing arms or his strong body in general. This man made me crazy, and confused. I had decided to ignore, how handsome he looked, but it was getting harder and harder to ignore.

"I want to talk to you," he answered and rested his head on the stone behind him.

"Well, surprise, I don't," I answered. "Although, have you heard... anything? From...?" I started, unsure and he nodded.

"The Captain and your men? I did," he said curtly and now he crossed his arms over his chest, before he continued. I sat up straight and looked at him, his jaw muscles tight and his brow furrowed.

"Oh my Goddess, how are they?" I asked, a hint of anxiety bleeding into my voice and I saw the shift in his expression, a subtle softening of his features.

"They are alive. As far as I am informed, they found them a few miles away from here. However, he is injured..."

I was already rushing towards the door, before he could finish his sentence.

"Where is he?" I asked, frantically, as a feeling of dread began to rise in my belly. Something was wrong with Asher. Very wrong.

"Enya, wait."

"I don't have time to wait! My men are hurt!" I exclaimed. Didn't he get how important this was? I needed to see them, needed to see HIM, now!

A large hand shot out and gripped me by the wrist, halting me in my frantic footsteps,"Come, I'll take you. But... have you seen hurt soldiers before? It is not... pretty."

"What? Do you think I am a weak human, who will faint over a bloody wound? I can handle it, I will handle it! Now come, I don't have time for your crap, Aedan, move!"

I turned around and saw him staring at me, as if he didn't know what to make out of me.

"Move!" I repeated sternly, meeting his gaze without flinching. This is a fight he had lost. And he damn well knew it, so give up. Now.

"Let's go," he said, leading the way, down a flight of stairs and through two doors, each one of which two wolfborn guards opened for us, before we reached another door, heavily guarded.

"This is the infirmary. A few of your men are upstairs in another room, but I thought you wanted to see someone in particular. The other two are on this floor," he explained and opened the door in front of him.

Asher was laying on a bed, his armor soaked in blood.

"Asher!"

He slowly opened his eyes and tried to smile.

"Enya... By the goddess, you are well," he said, his voice thin.

He was lying on a simple bed, with a wooden frame and a small, but soft pillow.

I walked closer and inspected him. His blond hair had gotten a little bit longer and was splattered with blood.

There were a few minor cuts on his face, but that was nothing to worry about. His leg however... I gritted my teeth and hurried over to him.

"Prince Lex, what is Princess Enya doing here? I have to dress to his wounds," the doctor scolded Aedan and I turned around, daggers in my eyes.

"Well, you can try to remove her, I certainly won't," Aedan said, his mouth twitching as he tried to suppress a smile, while he leaned into the doorframe. Smart man.

The Doctor turned to me, "Your Highness, could you please get out? You don't want to see the state of this young man."

I scoffed and put my hands on my hips. "The Captain is my friend, so I will decide if I want to see the state of his body or not. And if you think you can just dismiss me, you are gravely mistaken."

I heard Aedan snicker in the door and Asher huff behind me, followed by a grunt. I could sense the amusement he tried to keep from showing, but I didn't care.

The doctor seemed taken aback by my response and looked at me, his mouth hanging open.

"I- I have to- I mean, the Captain- he-," he stammered and I interrupted him.

"I don't want to get in your way, but I need to be here. Don't worry, I won't comment on anything you do. But you will not remove me from this room!"

The doctor looked back and forth between Asher and Aedan, then back to me.

"As long as the Captain is comfortable, I have no problems with a guest."

I looked over at Asher and my heart skipped a beat, as his face twisted in pain.

"Captain?"

He winced and let out a pained breath, but still tried to smile.

"You can't stay here, Enya," he said quietly. "You don't want to see this."

"I will not leave you alone with what you had to endure. Because of me. I am so sorry!" I sobbed, as the tears were spilling from my eyes.

I heard the door close and saw, that Aedan had gone. Whatever.

Asher raised his hand and cupped my cheek, before he swiped away a tear with his thumb, probably smearing my face with blood, as his hands were still covered in it, but I didn't care. I leaned into his touch and placed my hand over his.

"You don't know how much I have missed you, Enya," he said quietly, his deep voice thick with emotion.

I noticed, his hand was shaking a little, whether with emotion, exhaustion or pain.

"I missed you, too. So so much, Asher!"

"I need to remove the armor, Princess, if you could help me?" the Doctor asked.

I turned around and saw, that the doctor had started working on his leg.

I helped the Doctor get the blood and mud off of Asher and together we got the armor off.

My eyes quickly scanned Asher's upper body. His left leg was bandaged and blood seeped through. He had a few bruises on his arms and his ribs had blackish blue spots, where a rib had likely broken.

He had several other small cuts and a few bruises, but nothing more. As I let my eyes wander across his beautiful features, it hurt, what he did all for my sake. It must have cost him so much and hurt even more. And it was my entire fault.

Then I looked at the doctor, as he removed the makeshift bandage and had to suppress a gasp, as it revealed the large gaping wound on Asher's thigh. It looked bad. Like really bad. The wound was still seeping and the skin itself was ripped apart, revealing tendons, muscles, and a layer of tissue.

The sight was nauseating, but I clenched my jaw in determination and told myself, I had to stay composed. Because that's what he needed from me. Staying strong, not becoming hysteric, panicking and acting irrational, like he'd likely expect.

But goddess, that must hurt.

Asher grunted and nearly crushed my hand, when the doctor removed the gauze, before he quickly washed his hands and prepared something, I couldn't see.

"This is going to hurt, Captain, but I'm sure, that your Princess can handle it, right?" he asked, while looking at me and I quickly nodded, sitting down next to Asher.

"Of course, what kind of Princess, do you think, I am?" I smiled, trying to reassure Asher. I wouldn't break down, while he was in this state.

Asher moved his hand to my thigh and maybe that was the better option, as he would probably crush my hand, if it got any more painful.

The Doctor started working, cleaning the wound with what I assumed, was alcohol, while Asher screamed out in pain.

I couldn't really say how long it took, as I was mostly staring at his face, trying to reassure him, that it was going to be alright. Asher really tried to pull himself together, to look into my eyes, but every so often, the pain got too much and he closed his eyes, as he clenched his jaw.

His body was quivering from the strain and sweat had built up on his forehead, dripping into his hair and mixing with the blood. His breathing came out in ragged breaths.

He whimpered and panted like a dog during heat and gritted his teeth at the same time, both of them bare of lip, bared. There was so much pain visible on his features, that it broke my heart.

I reached for his forehead and pushed away the wet strands, brushing his sweat-damp hair out of his face.

Damn, how long could this take? I looked down and saw the doctor prepare needle and thread to stitch the wound. Blood was still flowing out of the ripped up muscle, muscle that would now hopefully heal back in shape.

"You are doing great, Asher. This will all be over soon, but you have to be strong for a little while longer, okay?" I told him and Asher opened his eyes and looked at me.

"As long as you are here, I can endure anything," he whispered and I felt myself blush slightly, before I softly placed my lips on his. I didn't care who saw, I didn't care what kind of trouble we would be in, as long as Asher was alright. His hand gripped my thigh tighter.

"I am here," I said quietly, my lips still pressed to his, while I held his cheek with one hand, and the other stroking his hair.

Asher let out a hiss, when the doctor pushed the needle into his skin and started stitching. His hand clenched my dress tighter, almost ripping the fabric, he was shaking, his eyes scrunched and his hands clenched, while he tried to breathe calmly.

I caressed his cheek and let him lean his face into my palm, while he continued breathing through it.

Finally, after what felt like a lifetime, the doctor was finished, before he cleaned and disinfected the wound once more.

Asher was still shaking and his face was flushed and red from the pain and the heat.

"I- am finished," the doctor stammered, trying to collect himself and not get involved with the private moment. "We will have to change the bandages daily for the first period of time and you will get anti-inflammatory medicine and painkillers."

He handed the Captain a glass, which he took eagerly, before he downed it in one go.

"Thank you, Doctor," I whispered and he smiled.

"Take good care of him, Princess."

"You have my word."

With those words, he bowed and left.

"You shouldn't have stayed, Enya," Asher said and looked at me, while I prepared a basin with water to wash away all of the blood covering his body.

"Of course I should have stayed. Did you think I would leave you here all on your own?" I replied and poured some fresh water into a bowl. I also took two cloths, before I sat back down at his side.

"You don't have to clean me, Enya," he said and I looked at him with an arched brow, before I grabbed the towel and the warm water and started washing him.

His hand instantly landed on my thigh, but I just ignored it, concentrating on my work. My hands cleaned away all the dirt, grime and blood, leaving clean patches of beautiful skin.

"Yes, I have to. This is the least, I can do," I said, trying to hide the fact, that my hands were trembling. He nodded, seemingly done arguing with me.

After I had washed his face, I cleaned his upper body, careful not to apply pressure to his ribs. I slowly worked my way down and Asher flinched every time my hands touched a spot that hurt.

"I am so sorry," I breathed, after I had cleaned him and rested in a chair beside his bed, knees pressed to my chest.

"The only thing I feel, when I look at you, is happiness, to know, that you are safe, Enya," he reassured me and squeezed my hand.

"What happened anyway?" he asked and I shook my head.

"I will tell you everything tomorrow. You need to rest," I answered, while I leaned over to his lips and gave him a soft kiss.

"Do you need a blanket?" I asked, after I had looked at his half naked body.

He scoffed, followed by him grabbing his ribs and contorting his face in pain. "No, it's so god damned hot in this country. The last thing I need is a blanket."

I smiled. "Get some sleep, Asher."

I placed a soft kiss to his lips.

"You should get yourself cleaned up, Enya. I'm sorry, I have ruined the dress," he said and stroked over the red spots, left by the dried blood.

"Do not worry about it, Asher. It's just a dress. But yes, I will clean up," I answered, before standing up. He was right, my dress was bloodied, my hands were red, I probably still had blood on my face.

"I'll come back after," I said quietly and squeezed his hand, before I turned around and left the room.

I opened the door, looking outside, and saw Aedan, leaning against the wall. He looked at me, as I exited the room and raised an eyebrow. I stared back at him with just as much ferocity in my eyes.

"All good?"

"Yeah. Well, at least I think."

"That's good to hear."

I nodded and took a deep breath.

"You are covered in blood," he observed quietly.

"That happens when you witness a terrible injury and get covered in the aftermath. I should clean myself up, and change," I explained, my voice clipped.

He just nodded and crossed his arms.

"Thank you, Aedan," I said, my voice barely a whisper, but I knew, that he could hear me.

"For what?"

"He is alive and that is what I asked of you," I told him and he dropped his arms to his sides.

"That was a close one, though. I hope he will be alright. The wound was pretty deep," he explained, his dark brown eyes worried, as he inspected my bloodied frame.

"So I've seen." The image of him shaking in pain as the doctor sewed up his leg, made its way back into my brain.

"Are you alright?" he asked and I nodded, while I leaned against the wall, closing my eyes, and exhaled. I felt so sick and I just wanted to cry.

"Come, I'll walk you to your room. You look pale," he said and pushed himself away from the wall, his brows still furrowed in worry.

"Thanks," I muttered and slowly followed him through the halls, the exhaustion taking its toll on my body. We climbed up a spiral staircase, and through another long corridor, that lead to the grand marble staircase and to the room the Queen had given me.

After Aedan had made sure that I was safely inside, he closed the door behind him and I quickly undressed, letting the dress fall to the ground and grabbed a towel.

I stepped under the shower and watched the red water pooling at my feet, running off me, down the drain. I closed my eyes, just letting the warm stream cover me completely, drowning out everything around me.

Tears started running down my cheeks, as I couldn't hold them anymore. Asher was here, he was alive. The relief washed over me like a flood and I cried into my palms, the exhaustion making me even more emotional. I thought I'd never see him again, or anyone else I cared about.

I scrubbed my body thoroughly, the image of him shaking with pain, still engraved into my memory, making me sure that I would never be able to forget it.

His eyes, full with fear, pain and his body soaked in blood. It hurt me to my core. I didn't really notice that my own tears had long since ceased, or maybe they were mingling with the water falling down my face.

All I could hear were his screams, the images flashing before my eyes with perfect clarity, the smell of blood everywhere and his eyes full of tears as the doctor sewed up his bloody flesh.

I turned off the water, slowly rubbing off any excess soap and wrapped a dry towel around me. After I had brushed my wet hair back, I walked to my drawer, quickly pulling out something comfortable to wear.

The black shorts and tank top would do for this hot night. Hastily I put on my Ballerinas and walked back to the infirmary.

Obviously they had made his bed, he was lying on clean sheets now and they were about to move his bed.

I followed them in the next room, it was lighter and didn't have as much medical equipment. Asher tracked my movements, when I grabbed a comfortable looking chair and placed it beside his bed.

"You should already be asleep, Enya," he said softly and traced small circles on my thigh.

I grabbed his hand with both of mine, not wanting to let him go.

"I told you, I will not leave you alone tonight," I said and he smiled weakly.

"You really want to sleep on this chair? It won't be very comfortable," he frowned and observed my hands holding his.

"Don't worry about me, I will sleep just fine, when I am here, with you," I smiled.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, before he whispered, "Good night, Enya."

"Sweet dreams," I replied quietly, as he drifted into a peaceful sleep.

I was sure, that he had fallen asleep, his body relaxed and his breathing even. His upper body rose and fell with every deep breath and I just stared, memorizing every single feature.

I curled up in the chair, firmly holding his hand with mine, before I closed my eyes as well.

Maybe everything wouldn't go wrong for a change. Maybe he could survive and our kingdoms wouldn't fall in this war.

***

I woke up with the first ray of sunshine, blinding me. I stretched and slowly blinked my eyes open.

I was still in the chair and I couldn't move any of my limbs.

Ashers hand was resting on my thigh, his other arm was thrown over his chest.

My eyes travelled down his arm and to his hand, intertwined with mine.

A blush creeped up my neck, as my eyes fell to his bare chest, the fabric of his black briefs the only thing, that hid his privates from view.

Goddess, I hadn't been laid in too long!

It was no wonder, that he was such an excellent fighter. He had the upper body strength to make him a deadly opponent, combined with his long legs, which allowed him to strike with amazing precision and agility.

I could feel the blush burning even hotter on my cheeks and I looked around the room. Nobody else was here and I exhaled in relief.

Maybe, that was a good time to get up.

Quietly, so that I didn't wake him, I untangled my limbs from his and stood up, stretching. I rubbed my neck. Man, that chair hadn't been very comfortable, but at least I had slept somewhat well.