Disappearing Act Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The doorbell rang at the home of Penny P. and her husband, who happened to be Roddy, the guy who had been fucking her in the game room while her then-boyfriend Steve played a video game.

"It's the Police." Roddy said as he looked out the spy-hole in the door.

"I wonder what they want?" Penny said, concerned but not upset nor nervous.

"Only one way to find out." Roddy said. He opened the door...

Once Cindy and Phyllis were seated, they explained their mission.

"Yes, I remember that." said Penny as she held their newborn second child. Her face was very pretty, though her body was starting to add some weight after having delivered that second child. Roddy had taken their two-year-old upstairs. "I'm going to have to be blunt in front of you, but at the time Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean went upstairs, I was on the floor and Roddy was fucking me. He was nuzzling my neck and I was looking in the direction of the window. I saw the shadows crossing the window for a second... yes, the woman's hair was like Bonnie Jean wore hers, and I immediately thought of her. I only saw a shadow of Billy Joe for a second, and didn't know who it was until somebody said something about it being him."

"Did you see anything, Roddy?" Phyllis asked when Roddy came back to the room. She had long since observed and deduced that Roddy was not the brightest bulb in the string of lights.

"No." said Roddy. "If I wasn't kissing Penny or nuzzling her neck, I was looking up at Lisa and Big Rusty on the beanbag chair. Rusty was the tight end on the football team, he and Billy Joe were good friends. Lisa was riding him and I had this awesome view of his big cock going into her as she rode him. It really got me hot and I was fucking Penny hard and deep. I remember some shadows, but didn't really see Billy Joe or Bonnie Jean going upstairs."

"Where were the other people in the room at the time?" Cindy asked.

Roddy said "Let's see: Steve and George were on the sofa, playing their game. They had a hundred dollar bet on it. Penny and I were on the floor, and Lisa and Big Rusty were in the beanbag chair. Jimmy Tolson had been at the desk, and Gloria and Tommy had been in the game room but went back downstairs. Danny and Rhonda had also gone downstairs. Yeah, Jimmy walked over to the door right about the time Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean Mason went upstairs, then Willa Mason came in, she was talking to Jimmy. Again, it's all kind of hazy because I was busy with Penny and was watching Big Rusty's cock slamming up into Lisa..."

"Did any of you leave between that time and when Art Mason arrived?" asked Cindy.

"No, we stayed in the game room after the sex." Penny said. "Steve and George's video game lasted another hour after Roddy and I finished fucking... no, nobody came down from the upstairs room, I am positive of that." Roddy agreed with Penny's assessment.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

George was enrolled in University Medical School, and was on shift at the Hospital. He said he was watching the video game, but did glimpse out of the corner of his eye Bonnie Jean Mason and what looked like Billy Joe go upstairs, but they were on up the stairs before he could turn his head from playing the game. He remembered being surprised that his friend Billy Joe was scoring with Bonnie Jean. The video game had gone on and on, there was money on it. No, he never saw anyone come back from the upstairs room, but he had been preoccupied with the game. He hadn't even paid attention to the sex going on behind him at the time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steve lived in Midtown. He was a mid-level manager at a company there, and appeared to be shocked when the doorbell rang.

"Hi, I'm Detective Sergeant Molly Evans of the Midtown Police, and this is my partner Detective Frank Soltis." said Molly. "Can we come in?"

Once inside, Molly explained that they were cooperating with the Town & County Police in looking into the cold case of Billy Joe Tolson and Bonnie Jean Mason. In reply, Steve told the story that he'd been playing the video game with George, that he could hear Penny and Roddy fucking on the floor behind him... no, he didn't care, Roddy and Penny had fucked while he was in the room on several occasions, and he'd fucked other girls, too... yes, some other couple was in the beanbag chair, but he, Steve, was watching the video game and playing it because there was some serious money on the game. No, George had blocked his view of the door leading upstairs, and the window, so he didn't see Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean go up, but he heard Jimmy Tolson tell Willa Mason that Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean had gone upstairs.

Then Steve unleashed the bombshell: "Yeah, I fucked Bonnie Jean once, about six months before that day. Big Rusty fucked her first, I got sloppy seconds. She was a real whore for teen cock. Yeah, I'm sure Billy Joe was fucking her, that's why I wasn't surprised that he had taken her upstairs... no, I have no idea how they got back out of that room without any of us seeing them, but I was playing the video game...

Part 9 - Jimmy Tolson

Jimmy Tolson walked into the offices of Conway Property & Casualty Insurance just before 8:00am Thursday morning, heading for the relative safety and privacy of his cubicle. He didn't get far.

"Mr. Tolson! Mr. Conway would like for you to go straight to his office, immediately." said Janice, the pretty receptionist at the front desk.

"Uh, did he say why?" asked Jimmy.

"No," Janice said, her voice condescending, "he just said go straight there, don't even go to your desk first." Jimmy Tolson was such a loser to look at, she thought to herself, happy to see Jimmy walk away from her post.

Jimmy headed to Mr. Conway's plush office. The administrative assistant said when she saw him, her voice severe: "Mr. Conway has been waiting for you, Mr. Tolson. You need to go in immediately." She very quickly buzzed that Tolson was there, and opened the door for Jimmy to go in, happy to close the door so that she did not have to see any more of Jimmy.

Inside the room, Mr. Conway was sitting behind his desk. In front of the desk were two women, one middle-aged but very attractive, the other a younger platinum blonde, downright muscular in some areas. They were wearing Police uniforms.

Phyllis noticed Jimmy's face go from inquisitive curiosity to disdain and disgust when he realized the Police were there.

"Mr. Tolson," said Mr. Conway, "these police officers would like to speak with you for a few moments about the disappearance of your brother. I would like for you to make some time this morning and speak with them. I can have one of our lawyers sit in with you, if you like."

"Sir, with all due respect," Jimmy Tolson said, his voice angry, "I've given multiple statements to the police and the FBI over the past seven years about this situation. Officers, my statements are on record and I took a polygraph test. But I will answer no more questions and will not speak to you." Jimmy turned to go.

"Jimmy," said Phyllis, momentarily stopping him, "we simply want to ask a few questions to clarify the situation before we close the case. Will you not help us?"

"As I said," Tolson replied, "I will not cooperate with you any further. My statements are on record; refer to them."

"Tolson!" Conway almost yelled, standing up out of his chair. "I don't understand this at all. I strongly recommend you cooperate with these police officers! Your status of employment with us will be reviewed if you do not."

"If you want to fire me, Mr. Conway," said Jimmy, his eyes coldly determined, "that is your prerogative. But you haven't had to live through the seven years of hell these cops and the FBI have put me through. I'm done with them." Not waiting for a dismissal, Jimmy turned and left the room.

"Ladies," Conway said, sitting back down, "I am befuddled that Tolson will not talk with you, and I can assure you that if he does not change his mind, he will no longer be working for this company."

"Ah, Mr. Conway," said Phyllis in her soothing voice, "please don't do that, at least not over this matter. I can understand Jimmy's side of this."

"I can't." said Cindy. "He's talked to the police before; why can't he speak with us now? What does he have to hide? I wouldn't blame Mr. Conway for firing him-"

"No! That is what you must not do." said a voice from the doorway. A tall, broad-shouldered man with reddish-blonde hair, a light trenchcoat, and a red crowbar in his hand was walking up to them. The assistant was watching from the doorway; the Iron Crowbar had walked right past her and into the room.

"My apologies for intruding, Mr. Conway." I said, then introduced myself. "Sir, if you fire him, he can sue you for wrongful dismissal, unless you have something else on him. He was, and is, well within his Constitutional rights to not speak with us, and as he said, he has given his statements many times over. We must not harass him, nor should you retaliate against him, Mr. Conway."

"If you say so, Commander." said Mr. Conway. "But I'm embarrassed at his actions. And no, he's not a model employee... and won't be an employee much longer, anyway."

"Commander," said Captain Ross, "do we need to keep tabs on Tolson? APB?"

I just smiled. "Wayyyy ahead of you, Captain. Been there, done that, got the TCPD Prison T-Shirt all ready.." I said. Cindy nodded and Phyllis beamed at me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's driving east on Jefferson." said Sergeant Rudistan into the radio. "He's heading to Nextdoor County. I'm pulling him over." Patrolman Johnson was with Rudistan in the police cruiser.

Jimmy Tolson looked into the rear view mirror to see the police cruiser settle in behind him, blue lights flashing. He muttered unprintable curses as he pulled onto the side of the road.

"Well now, young man," said Sergeant Rudistan in his jovial manner as he approached the car, "may I see your driver's license and car registration, please." Johnson had stepped out of the cruiser, and was standing between it and the open door, behind the hinge of the door, using the car as a shield in case of violence.

"Here, officer." Tolson said, handing Rudistan the documents. "I am informing you that I am recording this stop. Why am I being detained?"

"Oh, that's just fine, my cameras are recording it also, Mr. Tolson." said Rudistan, totally unperturbed as he examined Tolson's drivers license. "So where are you going this morning?"

"That is none of your business, Officer." said Tolson. "Am I free to go?"

"No, you are not." said Rudistan. "I stopped you--"

"Then I'm being held against my will? Am I under arrest?" Tolson demanded.

"I stopped you," said Rudistan, unperturbed by Tolson's lack of manners, "because you are wanted for questioning in the case of the disappearance of your brother. An APB was put out for you, and I stopped you before you crossed the County line and left my jurisdiction."

"Am I free to go?" Tolson demanded, "If not, why am I being held against my will? Is there an arrest warrant issued for me, or am I free to go? I again remind you this conversation is being recorded."

"I hope so." said Rudistan. "So let me be clear. You were stopped by Police because of an APB issued for your arrest. Driving in this State and County is not a right, but a privilege, and I have the authority to stop you while you are driving on the highway. My probable cause for the stop is the APB issued for you. And at this time, you are being arrested as a 'person of interest' in the disappearance of your brother. Please step out of the car, sir, and keep your hands where I can see them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell is this about?" said the lawyer. He was from the firm of Chase, Lynch & Berry, who were virulently anti-Police. He'd arrived at the station, claiming to be Jimmy Tolson's lawyer pro bono, and was haranguing a very irritated Police Commander in Interrogation-1. Cindy Ross and Sergeant Rudistan were with me in the room, while my mother and Paulina Patterson were watching through the one-way glass.

"Your client refused to cooperate with Police this morning." I said. "That, in and of itself, is not the issue. However, your client then tried to flee the County, making him a person of interest in the disappearance of his brother. Judge Watts agrees with my ADA that Mr. Tolson's behavior is sufficiently suspicious to warrant him being detained, and also that Tolson is an extreme flight risk. So, counselor, we had no choice but to detain him on suspicion, and he will have to wear an ankle monitor if and when he makes bail."

"I am going to barbecue you over this." the lawyer muttered, his voice low and menacing.

"I keep hearing that from your firm's lawyers," I said, taunting the legal beagle, "yet it never seems to happen. Mr. Tolson, you can either cooperate with my officers, or you can sit in a holding cell for three days."

"Don't worry, Mr. Tolson," said the lawyer, "I'll have you out by noon. Now according to the Ninth Circuit Court, you have to invoke your right to remain silent out loud, so please do so now."

Jimmy Tolson said in a weary and bitter voice "I invoke my right to remain silent. I will not answer your questions nor cooperate with you in any way at any time."

"Rudistan, take Tolson through booking." I said. "Put him in a holding cell." I then went into the anteroom and down the hall towards my office.

"I hope you know what you're doing." ADA Paulina Patterson said, walking with me. "You've got 72 hours to do something. After that, he'll be released, without an ankle bracelet, and you may well never see him again."

"Don't sweat it." I said. "He can run if he wants, though he'll never be able to hide. Besides, he'll have to come back in September if he wants any share of the money from the insurance company, and I suspect he'll very much want to be around when his 'beloved' brother is declared dead..."

Part 10 - Insurance Issues

"Come on in, Detective Newton." I said to Julie Newton as she appeared at my doorway at 11:00am, having been sent in by Lt. Teresa Croyle at my request. Julie's hair was very black and she still kept it short. Her body was lithe but attractive in the tight blouse and skirt she was wearing, made even more shapely by the high heel pumps she was wearing.

I also noticed that, despite the long interval of time, her face had not lost the sadness that she had obviously felt when hearing that Harold Malone had been assassinated in Alabama. She had gone to the funeral, and had come back a different person. Frankly, I was a bit surprised she was still with us at the Town & County Police Force, but I was glad she was: I needed her financial skills for this task.

As Julie seated herself, I put a file folder on the front of my desk for her. "Julie, there is a cold case some of the other Detectives are investigating, and this insurance company is part of the issue. This insurance company attempted some financial shenanigans a few years ago, which has aroused my suspicions of them. I want you to investigate them, find out everything you possibly can about them. Use Lainie, Sonali, even Myron and Mary if you need to, but I need this information by tomorrow afternoon, meaning 2:00pm at the latest. The warrant to do this is the top document in the file folder."

"Yes sir." Julie said. She was about to get up. "Is there anything else, sir?"

"How are you doing, Julie?" I asked, peering at her. "Everything okay with you?"

"Yes sir." Julie said. "I'm fine. I should get started on this right away." She said nothing further, despite this opportunity to open up.

"Let me know anything that stands out as you find out about it. Thank you, Detective." I said, dismissing her. She got up, took the folder, and left without so much as looking back.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thank you for seeing me, Professor." I said as I entered the small office in the Mathematics Department at the University. "I really appreciate your help."

The office belonged to the Sir Isaac Newton Professor of Advanced Mathematics, Dr. Marvin Milton. I was wearing my Duty Dress uniform, as was the officer with me: Supervisor Myron Milton, the professor's son.

"I understand that this is of some importance." said Professor Milton. "My son said that I might be interested in it. Few things beyond the Grand Unification Theory truly interest me, so let us see what it is, yes?"

I smiled. "Sir, I found this microchip inside the jewel case of a DVD. I understand that it fits into a jump drive module, but I'm not sure how to correctly insert it and then get the data from it." I handed Milton the chip, encased in a static-electricity-proof bag. It was a small black square, barely more than 1/8th inch on a side, with four tiny silver slivers coming out each side, for a total of sixteen such prongs.

"Ahhhh, yes." said the Professor. "Yes, the CIA uses these, and I was happy to expose that to the Academic Community. Your wife was most displeased with me."

"I'm sure." I said. "So how do they use these things?"

"Well, since you've come to me," said Professor Milton, "then you don't want even your own wife to know about it until you've seen the data yourself. And that means you think its about something, or someone, that is skeptical of your investigations into a master criminal. Am I right, son?"

"Father, if the Iron Crowbar thinks it's important and needs to be kept away from the CIA, then I'd stand completely behind him on it." said Myron. Chief Griswold would congratulate him for his ass-kissing speech, I thought to myself.

Professor Milton took a jump drive out of his desk. Somewhat to my surprise, he separated the halves of it. I could see a little square slot where the chip would fit.

"The problem, Commander, and Myron," said Professor Milton, "is that if we insert that chip the wrong way, it will destroy itself and all the information upon it when we plug in and power up the jump drive. That's the insidious thing about it. You only have a one-in-four chance of making it work."

I thought about it. "I think the person giving this information would want me to find it. I think she left a clue. Hmmm..." As I thought, the band R.E.M.'s music came to me:

"Stand in the place where you were,

Now face West...

"Okay, Professor," I said, "put it in facing left."

"Are you sure?" asked Professor Milton, amazed at my confidence.

"Yes." I said. "Educated guess, and our only shot."

Professor Milton got some tweezers out of his desk (I decided not to contemplate just why he happened to have these tools for this job so readily available) and inserted the chip, top facing left. He resealed the parts of the jump drive, and handed it to me. I put the jump drive into my 'virgin' laptop and accessed the files.

Q'plaa!! They were there! They popped up, and I copied them to the laptop after they passed a virus check.

"Excellent work, Commander." said Professor Milton. "I see why my son speaks so highly of you."

"Thank you, sir, and you, Supervisor Milton." I said. Myron just gave a wan smile.

I was going to hand Professor Milton his jump drive back, but he said "You keep that, Commander. If I don't miss my guess, you're going to be needing it in the near future."

Part 11 - The Bigger The Cushion...

"The bigger the cushion,

the sweeter the pushin',

oh yeah,

that's what I said..."

--- Spinal Tap

I did not have time to further examine the data from the jump drive, however. After taking the laptop, drive and chip home, and securing them in separate places, I had another mission to attend. I headed for Willa Mason's house.

"Hello, Willa." I said as the young woman opened the door. "May I come in?"