All Comments on 'Divine Appointments'

by BarryJames1952

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
At last

I rejoice in reading a story here written in the Christian genre, and as only a Christian could write. It truly warmed my soul. Thank you and please, many more. 5 *

norafaresnorafaresover 4 years ago
Five Stars

Sweet, heart-warming story about the realities of being poor in rough times. Thank you for the HEA and the time you invested into writing this. Beautiful story. 5 stars from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Anonymous

Your stories just get better and better. I really love the faith aspect of your stories. They are definitely a rarity on this site and are much appreciated!

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraover 4 years ago
Sweet and lovely

You write romance in such a lovely way. Excellent story, Barry, can't wait to see more from you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Lovely story, even though I'm an atheist

Lovely story, and you made good, economical use of the differences between that era and our own. (Lack of social safety net, different sexual mores ... and that's about it.)

But I do wish you hadn't made the wine-during-Prohibition error. :)

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 4 years ago
A romance and a tearjerker

Very well written, it took us back in time very well indeed.

BurntRedstoneBurntRedstoneover 4 years ago
Sweet story

That was a truly lovely story. Very romantic! Thanks for sharing!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 4 years ago
Very sweet and enjoyable from a simpler time

Bal’s relative innocence and Bill’s interest in teaching her pleasure within wedlock was refreshing. Great work, 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Historical note

Prohibition would have interrupted those wine imports

Hooked1957Hooked1957over 4 years ago
Nicely done

Coming from LW, I'm not used to "sweet." You set the mood and held it all the way through. A great read.

Hooked

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 4 years ago
Well written, but...

To me there is one ingredient in fiction that is imperative: a sense of anticipation for events that will come that are unknown. There was nothing about this story that was at all unpredictable. Once the meeting and rescue occurred the only thing of interest that popped up was the details of Catherine's death and we could surmise in advance that it was highly traumatic for Bill to give up his calling. It was a pleasant story and well structured, but a little long and unexciting. I was somewhat generous and gave it a 3* - I do have trouble assigning 4's and 5's and this was not worthy of either.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Well written

But too much religion for my tastes.

3 stars

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago
You have a penchant...

for writing sweet, well told stories. Please continue. 5 stars.

Oh, and discount anyone who says something as idiotic as "well written, but too much religion" and gives you a lower score because of it. The average IQ is between 90 and 110 and sometimes readers like to demonstrate that they strive for average.

DoctimeDoctimeover 4 years ago
Way too much religion

This Is after all LITEROTICA. If every author waited for even oral sex to begin after a “religious benediction”; there would be no stories. Also there would be damn little marriage. Sex is a normal part of life and an even more important part of marriage. Your “Christian” idea of moral chastity is way outdated and in MHO, it deleted the extra stars you hoped to get. Having said that, you do have talent. Just write more in tune with present society. PS I am a Christian, but classify myself as a Religious Agnostic.

norafaresnorafaresover 4 years ago

@Doctime

I see that you have an issue with reading comprehension. You say that 'the Christian idea of moral chastity is outdated' but you seem to have conveniently overlooked that this story is set in 1922. It is nice that you acknowledged the author is talented. That is about the only thing you said that made any sense. A Christian Religious Agnostic. What the hell is that? Maybe you have tried TOO hard to be in tune with present society. Dial it back and next time you want to judge something, read slowly and clearly before making an ass of yourself.

GHreaderGHreaderover 4 years ago
A unique protagonist. Well done.

A Methodist Pastor turned mountain man in the very early 1900s is the basis of a unique story. The morals and doctrine fit the timeline very well. You managed to do a lot of character development in a short story.

In addition to all of that, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Your stories are all well written.

Thank you for sharing your tallent with all of us, the readers. I hope to see more BarryJames1952 stories soon.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
OUTSTANDING...

Great reading!

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago
Beautiful Story!

Entertaining, sweet story. Nothing wrong with religion in the story.

rayironyrayironyover 3 years ago
Not my sort of thing as a cynical agnostic, but

Warmly and gracefully written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Simply beautiful story! Thank you so much!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A Great read to begin 2022.

Thank you,

Craig

RanDog025RanDog025about 2 years ago

Beautiful Story! The Christmas scene makes me think of how kids now a day, would rip open their presents and ask, "Is that all". Back in the time this story took place a person was lucky to get just one present. Usually everything was hand made and given or food stuffs were handed out as presents. Best Family Secret Pies and suck. I remember on year in '64' we didn't have a Christmas other than the dinner. We had just moved across country and food was more important with eight kids in our family! This story deserves 25 BIG FAT SHINNY STARS but am sure the Excellent Author will settle for 5 instead.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

5Stars obviously not a revenge story but a very beautiful life changing story that describes love God and God’s hand and help in our lives

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

To Doctime: way too much religion

The included love and sex and moral values in marriage still exist but are not faught for as hard as decades past. And please don’t call yourself a Christian and agnostic which can’t exist, you’re one or the other. You’re not a Christian unless you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, repent of your sins follow God’s call in your life

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

What a great story, well written with great character development. 5+++stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This story had me in tears! The poor woman's tragedy, pain and loss. To say nothing of Bill.

Such a wonderful tale of love and life.

Bills final thoughts of what a gift his wife loss brought; tearfully bitter sweet.💖

10 STARS💥💥💥💥💥💥

rbloch66rbloch66over 1 year ago

Beautiful story. I’ve been far removed from the church, but I certainly respect those that are close to it, and I admire their faith. This story is a reminder that the human condition can be good.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Let the haters hate, it's still a five star story that includes a lot of the faith that founded our country. Didn't read all of the comments, but the thing about Literotica is that if you don't enjoy a story, don't read it. At least the author wrote and posted something, more than a lot of us can say.

tmgguptatmgguptaover 1 year ago

Great read

Thanks for sharing

J6480J6480about 1 year ago

5 stars for a great story, happily not all work on this platform is anger and spite sprinkled with debauchery. Keep going Barry

XluckyleeXluckylee11 months ago

This is truly a wonderful story 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

As noted above, cases of wine openly transported in 1923 America is a problem. However, that is the only thing with which I can take issue in this sweet 5 star story. I shall have to investigate your other offerings, hoping to find similarly engaging tales.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A great 5 star story filled with so many emotions, but "the greatest of these is love". Unlike so many of the other stories on here, this one brings up GOD but not as a swear word. The way it's written also shows what many people, including myself, know but few can say they understand, and that's the fact that tragedy can strike anyone at anytime regardless of ones occupation or circumstances. We may never, if ever understand the reason behind the tragedy but we can grow from it if we will allow our self to. I know it's easier said than done, but it's true just the same.

NitpicNitpic4 months ago
Very

A very good story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

O, fortunate ones no to be born a Gazan. Was Bill absolved of his act of violence, like Moses raging at the slave forman? God's mercy is decidedly a mystery.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBarryJames1952@BarryJames1952
I'm an old romantic who is completely in love with my wife. I find reading romances and thinking about romances keeps me focused on how great she is and how much I love her. I am also a man of faith and my writing will reflect that. Yes, Christians like sex too! Often the rom...