All Comments on 'Doing the "Okie Pookie" Ch. 01'

by Alexis661

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Well

I'm from Oklahoma and I'll make a comment or two. Oklahoma used to be known as Indian territory, hence town names like Sapulpa, Shawnee, Pawnee, Tecumseh, etc. Yes Eufala and Gotebo are terribly small towns. And we do watch tornadoes there. It's no accident the movie Twister was filmed there. people actually do chase tornadoes. You can also thank Oklahoma for Doppler radar. The comment about bib oberalls at a funeral is hard to believe. A cowboy hat and boots I could believe. The University of Oklahoma is our professional football team. Students get the Friday before the OU Texas game off so everyone can go to Texas. In Oklahoma we had a significant mexican population before immigration became the issue it is today. In some parts of OKC you can speak Spanish all day without much effort. Charles Barkely said the only black people in Oklahoma were on the NO basketball team that was temporarily housed in OKC. Not true, we have all black towns like Grayson and Boley, Rodeo is big there too and Garth Brooks hails from Yukon, a town just adjacent to OKC where the Cowboy hall of fame is located. As for Will Rogers, he's famous for more than just having died in an airplance crash. You should look it up. I could go on but I'll close with this: don't forget we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee (also not true but that's what the song says). By the way, no one says Okie pookie, the correct expression is "okie dokie"

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
one post is more than enough

Will Rogers was famous for his good-humored social commentary, and if you had bothered to inform yourself, you might have picked up on his skills before embarrassing yourself.

goodlittlesubiegoodlittlesubieover 16 years ago
yeah, I'm from OK too

But I thought you were great. It was a humorous commentary based on the general understanding that "outsiders" have of Oklahoma. Dont let seflrighteous pompous biblebelters critcize you becuase you werent raised here and forced to take Oklahoma history.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous