Don't Look Like a Seal Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Technically we defer to him on scheduling but he can't fire you if that's what you're asking," Joe said. "He'll complain to Mr. Kortesis and either he will talk with you or nothing will happen."

"That sounds like Alex," I stated. "I take it that the resident perv had perimeter duty tonight?"

"For being an ass, yes," Joe answered. "Mr. Kortesis likes guys to move about and not have to do the same thing over and over."

"That's something we learned on embassy duty. Doing the same thing over and over can start you to slack off so it's best to have a change every now and again," I explained.

"That's what Mr. Kortesis was telling me," He said. "He wanted me to make up three different jobs for our guys so I've got ground sweepers, in and outs and gate guard."

"Wow, I must have been out of the game longer than I thought. Other than gate guard what the hell are the other two?" I asked.

"Those are just my terms I made up, meat shield," He chuckled.

"Touché," I commented.

"Ground sweepers are the guys that walk just the grounds. Perimeter sweeps and such which is your job tonight," He shared. "In and out men sweep areas of the house as well as the areas outside the doors."

"I got it," I stated as I reached the beach gate. "Starting my sweep now Joe just chime in and tell me what I'm screwing up."

"I doubt that will be an issue but I'll be around just in case you decide to do something you shouldn't," He assured me.

"Like hop this fence and go for a swim for example?" I suggested.

"Not with my earbud in," Joe warned me.

"Wouldn't dream of it," I stated then took one last look at the crashing waves before I headed up the fence line.

****

Cassidy knocked on Mr. Voss' office door then waited a beat before he opened the door. Mr. Voss looked away from his computer screen and up at the doorway.

"Sir, can I have a moment?" Cassidy queried.

"Sure, Cassidy," Mr. Voss answered and pushed back from his desk. "Come in, have a seat and tell me what I can do for you?"

Cassidy walked into the plush office and took a seat in front of the large desk. Mr. Voss held up a glass that inquired if Cassidy would like one. Cassidy agreed and accepted the offered glass. He swirled the amber liquid around the glass for a moment then asked his question.

"How much do you know about the new guy that was brought in today?" He asked and took a sip.

"You're referring to Mr. Grayson I presume. Has there been a problem?" Mr. Voss asked.

"No sir, no problem to speak of it's just that with the attempted kidnapping I'm not sure that we should allow strangers to stay on the grounds," Cassidy answered.

"Mr. Navarro has taken up residence in that security center they threw together and you haven't spoken up about a problem with him," Mr. Voss said.

"I've been keeping an eye on Mr. Navarro," Cassidy stated and took another sip. "He's no threat."

"But you think that Mr. Grayson is?" Mr. Voss asked.

"I don't like unknowns," Cassidy answered. "Especially ones as skilled as Mr. Grayson's background check makes him out to be."

"His skills look to be exactly what we need, Cassidy. Now more than ever," Mr. Voss stated.

"You had someone looking into his record?" Cassidy asked.

"Of course," Mr. Voss answered. "He's going to be guarding my family and everyone here so of course, I had him checked out. His record is one of the main reasons that I insisted that he move into the guest house in the first place."

"He's a very dangerous man, sir," Cassidy stated.

"Mr. Grayson is not a danger to any of us. I trust him, Cassidy. You should too," Mr. Voss told him.

"I'll make an effort sir," Cassidy nodded reluctantly. "It's just that I've been with your family for a while now so I don't like strangers coming in when there is an outside threat."

"I understand and appreciate your loyalty, Cassidy, but right now we can and will use all the help that is available to us. Understood?" Mr. Voss asked.

"Yes sir, I understand," Cassidy nodded.

"They're not here for your job," Mr. Voss assured him with a smile. "You've been nothing short of excellent for us and we appreciate it but they are wrapped up in this situation because of their friend. I want them close in case they come up with some answers before the police do."

"I thought they were just here to beef up security?" He asked.

"That too but Mr. Grayson has already helped the police find out about a third vehicle being involved so despite what they're told I know they will try and find out who tried to murder their friend," Mr. Voss shared. "And when they do, God help the people responsible."

****

"Break time," Joe announced as I was on my fourth lap around the perimeter.

"There's a break time?" I asked as I paused at the beach gate.

"Everybody needs to eat, boss," Joe answered.

"Good point," I said. "Is there any place in particular that the hired help is supposed to go?"

"Most of the guys hang out in the garage. It was converted into a sort of break room for us but since you've got the run of the place from Mr. Voss himself I suppose you can go wherever you want to grab a snack or whatever," He said.

"Yeah, I guess that I can. Thanks, Joe," I said then headed for the main house.

I wanted a look around the place to get a better lay of the land. The door I opened led me into the kitchen where the smell of dinner still hung in the air. It smelled of tomatoes and cheese with a hint of Italian spices. In the dining room, I could hear the family talking as they enjoyed their meal. Not wanting to interrupt them I walked away from the sound of voices and opened a side door that bypassed the dining room and took me straight into a long hallway. I took my time strolling the hall and checked out each room to familiarize myself with what room was where. The door at the end of the hallway opened up into a grand foyer with a Y-shaped staircase in the center of it. I took the left stairs up first and in the next hallway, I found that the first two rooms were Karly's and I assumed the other was Addison's. Karly's was easy to spot as she had her name spelled out on it in pink block letters. I reached for the handle to confirm my suspicions when Joe chimed in.

"That's Addison's room," Joe called out startling me.

"Jesus Joe, does anyone gets used to you just appearing in their ears like that?" I asked as I stepped away from the door.

"I never thought about it," He answered. "You said to warn you before you screw up and going in there would be a big time screw up."

"Copy that," I said. "Anything I should know about the room?"

"The architect is currently working on it. Well not currently currently," He amended. "She's reworking the bathroom that could probably fit your condo into it."

"Doing a little background check on me huh, Joe?" I asked.

"I uh... I was asked to run a check on you," He answered.

"And here I thought that we didn't work for Mr. Williams but I suppose I'd have more of a problem if he didn't ask you to do it I guess," I chuckled. "Did you learn anything you want to ask me about?"

"I only took a quick peek but I get the distinct impression that if you tell me anything you might have to kill me so I'm good," He answered with a chuckle.

"Yeah it's a fascinating read of black lines, isn't it? They still have that much of it redacted?" I asked.

"Cassidy was impressed and pissed at the same time at all the stuff that he couldn't read," Joe answered.

"I don't think he likes me too much but if there's anything you or he wants to know all you have to do is ask. If it's a have to kill you at the end story I'll warn you beforehand," I joked.

"I'd appreciate the heads up," He laughed.

"Excuse me," Addison called out from behind me. "That's my room you're standing in front of."

"Sorry about that Ms. Voss," I apologized. "I was just familiarizing myself with the layout of your home."

"My room is not a place you need to worry about familiarizing yourself with," She told me.

"No, ma'am," I answered.

"That will be all," She dismissed me with a wave of her hand then stepped into her room.

"I guess that it will," I chuckled to myself and turned to leave when another voice called out.

"You'll get used to that," Karly said as she walked up to me.

"Used to what?" I asked.

"Her treating you like you just served her a latte instead of being here to get shot... oh... sorry, Ken," She apologized. "I didn't mean to bring up what happened to your friend."

"It's cool, Red," I assured her. "Scott's a tough guy and he's survived worse. Believe me."

"That's how he has that plate in his head, huh?" She asked me.

"Yes. That was a very bad day but he survived that and he'll survive this," I assured her.

"I hope so," she said. "Lissa's a sweet person and from what I've heard about your friend, he is too."

"He's saved my life more times than I can count," I shared with her then nodded towards Addison's door. "At least you're nice to me, Red."

"I'm the rebel remember," She smiled. "I was shown that I should treat people the way they treat me. You've treated me nice so you get the same treatment in return."

"I knew I liked you for a reason," I smiled at her.

"Whoa, hold on, sweetie I'm not ready for another serious relationship so soon. I've got to get over this Slice thing first," She said with a giggle.

"I'm sure what the two of you had was something very special," I smiled at her.

"Yes, it was like Romeo and... who am I kidding, the guy didn't even tell his real name!" She exclaimed. "Slice. What the hell was I thinking?"

"You can't help who you fall for," I sighed.

"Ooo, sounds like there's a story behind that statement," She commented.

"A long one but my break is almost over," I shared.

"Saved by the bell, huh?" She teased. "Well, I will get that story out of you at some point, Ken. It sounds too juicy to pass up!"

"I don't know about all that," I said.

"I'll be the judge of that," She answered. "Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bug my sister."

"Have fun," I told her.

"Always," She laughed then headed into her room.

A few seconds later I heard the thumping of music coming from behind her door and smiled when I heard Addison yelling her sister's name from her room.

****

The rest of my first night was pretty quiet save for a brief moment of excitement when it was announced that a vehicle had approached the gate. Cassidy's crew rushed towards the gate while Alex's team held their stations just in case it was a diversion. It wasn't. It turned out to be a friend of Addison's that had been at the hospital visiting Lissa and Scott. I briefly wondered if it could be the blonde Alex was telling me about. I was curious but decided not to try to catch a glimpse of her. I had enough to worry about already. One by one the lights in the house went out as the family settled in for the night. I checked my watch when the last light was extinguished and it was just shy of midnight.

"Joe, are you still up?" I asked as I strolled past the bluish lights of the pool area for the tenth time.

"That I am," He answered. "What's up, boss?"

"Are you as bored as I am?" I asked.

"Nah," he answered. "Just watched one of Cassidy's guys trip over one of the sprinkler heads near the gate. The highlight of my night since he didn't hurt himself."

"How're the numbers divided between Alex's team and the usual guys?" I asked.

"In case we lose a guy to a sprinkler mishap?" He chuckled.

"Something like that," I answered.

"Mr. Kortesis has added three guards for the day shift and five for nights. He thought they were overloaded on days but added to it so the night guys wouldn't be left out of the loop," He explained.

"Alex always was the cautious one," I quipped.

"If you're bored there's a card game going on in the garage slash break room if you want to sit in," He shared. "Both sets of guards participate in it so you'd be welcome."

"Some things never change," I chuckled. "Cards aren't really my game, Joe."

"Hey, Mr. Voss has a pretty extensive movie collection there in the den. You could check that out to pass the time," he suggested.

"Movies huh?" I asked as that piqued my interest.

"It's a pretty extensive collection," he said. "Mostly older stuff from what I understand but if you want to kill some time I'll keep my eyes on the camera's."

"Maybe I'll check them out when I'm not on perimeter duty. Don't want Mr. Williams to catch me slacking on my first night," I shared.

"I'm thinking that I'm not going to be one of those people that he warms up to but thanks, Joe." As tempted as I was to go in and check out Mr. Voss' collection I didn't. I continued on my rounds with just the sound of the surf to keep me company. The sky had started to lighten up as the sun rose on the horizon when Joe spoke up.

"Shifts over," He yawned.

"You need some sleep, Joe?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Just a few hours," He sighed. "My replacement should be arriving in a few so I'll pass out then."

"Sounds good," I commented. "Thanks for all that help last night, Joe."

"No problem, boss," He answered. "If you need anything just pop in your earbud and Aaron or I will help you out."

"Good to know. Talk at you later," I said and pulled the earbud out as I headed to the guesthouse.

I started to climb the stairs to the bedroom where the bed was calling my name but with a glance out the window, something else was calling louder. I stripped down and grabbed my swim trunks from my luggage then tugged them on.

"One quick swim," I told myself as I grabbed a towel and headed back downstairs. "I'm sure I'll be ready to sleep after a swim."

Michelle on the Beach

"You know you're trespassing right?" A female voice asked as I jogged back up onto the Voss' private beach after my swim. "I mean there's a fence and everything."

I picked up my towel and took a glance at my accuser who was standing ten feet away. She had her long blonde hair pulled up in a messy ponytail. She wore a pair of cute glasses but I was able to make out her striking blue eyes behind them. She pushed those glasses cutely up the bridge of her pert nose and her adorability level went up a thousandfold in my mind.

"There is huh?" I asked with a smile. "How did you manage it then?"

"Me?" She asked. "I'm a friend of a friend."

"Friend of a friend huh?" I asked skeptically.

"Something like that," She answered, stepped closer and offered me her hand. "I'm Michelle Ripley and I'm Addison's best friend. Well, one of her best friends really."

"Kenneth Grayson," I answered as I shook her head. "I'm working security here on the night shift. Sorry to be in your way this morning but I'm new here. I was just trying to find a way to unwind after my shift and the ocean looked so... inviting."

I paused because my breath hitched in my throat when she dropped the cover-up she wore and revealed the one-piece suit she had on underneath it. Yes, bikinis are very sexy but some people can make a burlap sack look sexy and Michelle was one of those people. She started to stretch out for her swim and I forgot how to blink and breath.

"Don't stare at the woman, look at the ocean. Don't stare at the woman, look at the ocean," I kept repeating in my mind but it didn't help.

I glanced as she stretched to loosen up and she caught me but smiled shyly instead of getting angry.

"Busted," I muttered to myself anyway.

"Well don't let me stop you from enjoying the beach," she said. "It's a big ocean after all and I don't mind sharing the beach. The family rarely use it anymore. Seemed like a waste so I started coming here in the mornings before classes begin. With permission of course. Duh, right?"

She babbled and I found it endearing how she rambled. I toweled off a little more and she quickly looked away which was a dead giveaway that she was checking me out too. At least we were kind of even.

"Of course," I nodded. "Well I'm done for the day but if you don't mind I could always use a swim buddy. If you're out here about the same time that is."

"A swim buddy?" She asked and raised a questioning eyebrow at me from behind her glasses. "Is that really the best line you can come up with?"

"Line? Did that sound like a line to you?" I asked. "I was being serious. This area of the Atlantic is notorious for all sorts of dangerous marine life."

She gave me a brief stare down as if she was trying to figure out if I was being serious or not.

"I should tell you that I'm finishing up my degree in Marine Biology so that line was even worse than the swim buddy one. Just so you know," She warned me.

"Finishing up your degree huh," I asked. "So you wouldn't buy into the danger of the Box Jellyfish around here huh?"

"Box jellyfish? Here? Not even close," She answered. "Next."

"How about the dangerous stonefish?" I asked.

"Stonefish. The most venomous fish in the world. Resides in tropical Indian and Pacific oceans," She recited. "Pretty far from here. You are zero for two so far."

She smiled or rather smirked at me and it looked to me like she was having fun with this banter. I knew that I was. I stroked my chin thoughtfully for a moment then threw out my last option.

"Great white shark?" I asked.

"Great whites are rare around here," She stated.

"Wouldn't I need an expert such as yourself around if I ran into one though?" I asked with a grin. "How else am I suppose to survive such an encounter?"

"Don't look like a seal," She stated matter of factly.

"That might be a little hard for me but I'll try," I laughed.

She gave me an odd look as she tried to figure out why I was laughing at her advice.

"With you being a Marine Biologist," I changed tactics. "What would you say my chances are if I were to head back out there and see about swimming to England?"

"Why would you even try something like that?" She asked.

"Well, I made such a fool of myself already with you that I'm trying to decide whether I should try that or go out for a minute then come back and start over with you," I explained.

"Your choice, but I will tell you that if you try and swim to England the Gulf Stream will probably push up towards Iceland. Unless you run into one of your Great whites or Bull shark first that is," Michelle answered. "You wouldn't make it far with either of those nearby."

"So what you're saying I should come back out with my game face on then?" I smiled.

"Too late for that don't you think, Kenny?" She asked.

I liked that she had gotten informal with me so quickly and gave her a smile.

"I mean I already know that you have no game so you'd just end up embarrassing yourself all over again," She finished.

"Oh ouch," I stated and placed my hand over my heart. "Do you always kick a guy when he's down, Michelle?"

"Only when he's intruding on my private beach time," She smiled a radiant smile. "I guess that I should cut you some slack seeing as how you just came off your shift though."

"Thanks for that," I said. "I don't suppose I could press my luck a little further and ask that you not reveal my lack of game to anyone. If the rest of the guards found out they'd never let me live it down."

"I don't know," She answered tapping her chin with her finger. "I guess that since we are going to be swim buddies I shouldn't start us off on the wrong foot. All right, I won't say anything about your lack of game to anyone as long as you keep me safe from the dangers of the box jellyfish while we're swimming."

"No worries there," I smiled. "I have it on good authority from this incredible marine biologist that we're totally safe from those here. Really nice woman. I think you'd like her."

"Careful," She warned with a smile. "She might not be as nice as she appears."

"I'll bet that she's even nicer than she appears to be," I stated. "I should probably be heading in but I hope I see you again soon."

123456...9