Don't Look Like a Seal Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No ID on the guy huh?" He asked.

"No," I answered not bothering to tell him about the missing face. "So after my swim tomorrow I'll be headed there if you need me for anything."

""All right, just don't forget the party's tomorrow night," He reminded me. "It's all hands on deck."

"I gotcha," I nodded. "Hey, and Joe..."

"I'll keep an eye on her for you again but I'm going to have to start charging you for this service." He joked.

"Just bill Alex," I chuckled. "I spent all my money on a suit I'm going to wear once."

****

Michelle didn't join me for our morning swim and even though I tried telling myself that she probably just slept in, I couldn't make myself believe it.

"Damn it, why in the hell did you have to open your big mouth last night and after spending the whole day flirting. Moron," I thought as I took a second to catch my breath on the beach.

I watched the waves as they crashed onto the sand for a few minutes as I wondered how to apologize to her.

"Hey, Michelle, sorry I find you attractive and all. I really should have my head examined to see why I find an incredibly smart, funny and beautiful blonde women desirable." I thought. "Yeah, that'd go over really well I imagine."

I gave up on the apology and headed inside for a shower. I lingered under the hot water wanting it to wash away the melancholy that had attached itself to me. It helped slightly. I got dressed and headed into town toward the Medical Examiner's office. Detective Young had left my name at the desk so I was given a visitors pass and told that they were waiting for me in the basement. Thanks to Michelle's statement from last night I half expected an axe wielding psycho to pop out from the next corner and chop me into tiny pieces. I made it to the basement and found Det. Lang in the hallway just outside a room marked AUTOPSY.

"I'm not late am I?" I asked.

"Nah, we're early," He answered without looking up from his phone. "I skipped breakfast this morning and I hope you did too."

"That bad," I asked.

"Worse," He answered then looked up. "I know you've saw your fair share of combat, Grayson, so maybe it won't be for you. Tell Jenny I'll be out by the car when you guys are done. I've had enough of looking at it."

"Sure thing," I nodded as I wondered just how bad this could actually be if a seasoned homicide detective could barely stomach it.

I entered the room and Det. Young looked up and gave me a nod. She stood beside a steel table with a body covered by a white sheet.

"Thanks for coming in, Ken," She greeted me.

"I met your partner out in the hallway. He kind of made me wish that I declined this invitation," I answered. "He looked a little... no, a lot green."

"Yes, Det. Lang. Heard he lost his cookies last night upon seeing this fellow," A graying man in a lab coat commented as he walked in from the opposite door. "Can't say as I blame him too much though. These aren't the kind of wounds one is used to seeing."

"Dr. Patterson, this is Mr. Grayson. He's a private investigator that's helping us out with this case." Det. Young introduced us.

"I'd shake your hand but as you can see..." He said as he held up his gloved hands.

"Of course, doctor. It's nice to meet you while I'm still vertical," I commented.

The rotund man smiled at my little joke.

"Everyone meets me or someone like me eventually I suppose," He chuckled.

"Uh huh," I nodded and glanced at Det. Young.

We shared a look like one gets when you feel like something cold spider walks its way up your spine.

"Why am I here exactly?" I asked as I forced my body not to shiver from the sensation.

"Did you warn him about the state of our John Doe?" Dr. Patterson asked Det. Young.

"Det. Lang said that he hoped I didn't have breakfast this morning. Was that supposed to be my warning?" I asked.

"As good as any I suppose." He said and pulled the sheet down to the waist of the corpse.

I looked down at the mangled remains of what used to be a face and forced back a gag. I had seen a lot of stuff but my stomach wasn't what it used to be. I managed to not throw up mainly because my stomach has only water in it at the moment.

"Jesus," I muttered as I chocked back bile.

"That's probably who he saw the minute this happened." Dr. Patterson commented.

"Did you get to the chest, Ken?" Det. Young asked.

I forced myself to look beyond the ruined skull and down to the chest. His whole chest looked like one big acid burn but some markings stood out.

"Tattoos?" I inquired.

"That's our belief," Det. Young said. "They tried to hide them with acid but Dr. Patterson thinks he can make at least a couple of them clearer."

"I said I could try, Detective," He corrected her. "Whoever did this was very thorough but it looks like some of whatever acid they used got washed off here and here."

He pointed to a couple of places on the chest.

"I can peel back the burn and see if the ink is deep enough for an accurate picture," He said.

"Before you do that," Det. Young stopped him. "Do you have a cause of death for me?"

"Believe or not I'm leaning towards gunshot." He stated.

"Shotgun at close range? I've seen that kind of damage done in the past," She said but the medical examiner shook his head.

"While the damage is consistent with a shotgun blast to the face I couldn't find any gunpowder on his front. I found that on his back but a shotgun would have taken his whole head off. I'm thinking something with a high caliber, a forty five maybe with hollow points. I'll need to run some tests to say for sure."

"Ken here has seen combat," Det. Young said. "Have you seen anything like this before."

"Unfortunately I have," I nodded. "AK's can do this kind of damage if the muzzle is right against the skull and I once saw something like this on a guy hit by a fifty caliber sniper round."

"One would think that would reduce the head to a fine red mist, not the trauma we see here." Dr. Patterson chimed in.

"That would depend on the range to the target and if the round is a clean shot or through a wall or window for instance," I answered.

"Are you implying that a sniper killed this guy?" Det. Young asked.

"Not with gunpowder on his back I'm not," I answered and the medical examiner nodded.

"With the Voss' involved I'm crossing all my T's and dotting all my I'," She said. "Who was the sniper on your squad, Ken?"

"Usually it was either Scottie or me," I answered. "And we both have rock solid alibis."

"I wasn't seriously considering you guys," She said. "Well maybe Kortesis."

I grinned.

"Alex huh? That's funny," I chuckled. "Alex was the worst shot of all of us. That's not to say that he couldn't have done it but we... well we know how to get rid of a body where it's never found."

"You do huh? I'm not sure whether to be impressed or worried," She commented.

"It's been a long time since we had to do that so my vote is to be neither," I answered her. "Wherever this guy got shot it's going to be bloody."

"Very," Dr. Patterson nodded absently as he carefully cut away the burned skin from the chest.

Det. Young and I both observed as he peeled away the burned flesh to reveal a blurry image beneath.

"Damn it," I muttered as I looked at the image.

It was church with five steeples over his heart. It was blurry but distinct enough.

"What?" Det. Young asked.

"Russian," I answered as I reach over and grabbed a pair of purple latex gloves from a box then nodded toward the body. "You mind if I get a closer look, Doctor?"

"He asks permission? I like him better than your partner already, go right ahead." Dr. Patterson smiled then went to work on the other spot.

"This might help," Det. Young stated as she tilted over a magnifier that was attached to the ceiling.

I nodded and took a closer look at the image.

"Well he was either Russian or did time in a Russian prison." I shared as I looked it over. "He possibly has ties to the Russian mob."

"How can you tell that?" Det. Young asked as she took notes.

"Have a look." I told her.

She leaned in looking through the glass at where I was pointing.

"See how the ink has a bluish tint and that they're a bit blurry? It's a trait among Russian prison tattoos. They use ball point pen ink among other unsavory stuff to make their ink then use whatever's handy, usually a guitar string to apply it. Leaves it blurry looking since it's not as stiff as a needle. Only someone associated with the Russian mob is supposed to get tattooed up like this otherwise he'd have been killed over there." I explained. "The number of steeples on the church are significant but I forget why."

"And this one seems self explanatory," Dr. Patterson said as he pulled the skin away.

Underneath was a blurry tattoo of a skull.

"That confirms it," I said. "He was a killer and he did time for it."

Dr. Patterson says. "Very impressive work Mr. Grayson, how is it that you came into this type of knowledge?"

"I was in the Navy, SEAL Team Ten and we had some operations that involved the Russian Mafia so we had to become versed in their traditions. That kind of stuff has a tendency to stick with you." I answered as I peeled off the gloves and tossed them in the trash.

He nodded in understanding.

"That will give us a place to start trying to track down who this guy was. Thanks, Ken," Det. Young said.

"You should try and run his prints through Interpol. He's most likely in there," I stated.

"We would but..." Det. Young stated as she pulled the bodies arm up and showed me that his hand was lopped off. "Someone made sure that we couldn't run prints."

"I think this simple snatch and grab just took an uglier turn," I shared.

"My thoughts exactly," She said. "Maybe I was right in thinking this isn't about the Voss' at all."

"Maybe," I shrugged. "I'm going to Scott's place in a little while so I'll let you know if I find anything of note."

"See that you do, Ken. I'm afraid this is only going to get messier the longer this goes on," She sighed.

* * *

The gas station I stopped at was alive with activity but it was mostly tourists at the pumps so I parked and headed inside in search of something for this dull pain in my head. I snagged a bottle of ibuprofen and bottled water out of the cooler to wash them down with. My cell phone chirped to life as I paid the clerk.

"Grayson," I answered as I stepped out into the warm morning breeze.

"Kenny? Hey, it's Michelle," Michelle said. "I'm not calling too soon am I?"

"No, you're fine," I answered. "Thankfully I'm done with the medical examiners office. Good call on not going with me."

"I can't imagine how bad your morning was after what I overheard on that call," She commented.

"I'll just say that I'm glad that I chose to skip breakfast," I told her as I walked to my car. "I was just about to head to Scottie's place."

"Oh... do you know where it is?" She asked.

"Uh... that's the thing; I just realized that I don't have any idea where it is," I admitted after getting into my car.

I cranked the engine and let the cool air from the AC wash over me.

"Well I was supposed to take you there was I not?" She asked and I could picture her grin in my head.

"True but when I didn't see you this morning I kind of figured...," I paused not wanting to reveal what I had thought.

"I overslept," She interjected quickly. "I'm sorry about that. It wasn't anything personal I just... well I was sleeping so good that I didn't want to get up. Let me make it up to you by buying you breakfast this morning"

"You don't have to do that, Michelle," I assured her.

I wasn't sure my stomach could take a meal right now in it's current state.

"You bought the ice cream yesterday and I wasn't there this morning to protect you from the dangerous sea life on your swim so it's the least I could do," She insisted.

"The ice cream was my thanks for your help in picking me out a suit and I managed to keep all my limbs intact during my swim this morning so there's nothing that you need to make up for," I told her as I took a few of the pills.

"Still, I'm hungry and I owe you so come pick me up. I'll treat breakfast and then take you to Scott and Lissa's place. I'm not taking no for an answer, Kenny, so don't try and argue with me. You won't win," She stated. "I'll be out front waiting."

She then hung up before I could respond to her. I shook my head but a smile crept onto my face as I turned right onto Ocean Boulevard in the direction of the estate when my cell phone rang again.

"I thought you weren't taking no for an answer," I said as I accepted the call.

"What are you talking about?" Alex asked.

"Sorry, I thought you were someone else," I said.

"Michelle maybe," He asked.

"What do you need Alex?" I asked.

"Joe said you went to the morgue this morning," He said.

"Yeah, Det. Young wanted me to look at a body that was found. They thought it might be related to this," I admitted.

"And," he probed.

"And you can put that on the list of places that I never want to go again," I shared.

"It couldn't have been that bad," he stated. "Not after what we've seen."

"This ranks pretty high up there," I told him then explained the condition of the corpse to him.

"Jesus," Alex murmured as I paused.

"Believe it or not, it gets worse," I said then told him about the Russian tattoos.

"You remember that only Russian mafia members are allowed to get the ones you described right?" He asked.

"Like I said, worse," I sighed.

"Damn it, what the hell is going on, Grayson?"

"Honestly, I was kind of hoping you had some kind of clue because if the Russian Mob's involved then this whole thing is going to turn ugly real quick," I commented.

"Yeah, no shit. I'm going to have Joe start digging into the Voss' and see if there's some kind of connection I missed," He stated.

"You sure you want to do that Alex? They might not appreciate someone digging into their lives," I reminded him.

"Joe can cover his tracks pretty well at least that's what I'm hoping. What are you going to be doing in the meantime?" He asked.

"I was heading to Scott's place then I realized I have no idea where it is." I admitted.

"To Scott's place? Does he need something?" He asked.

"No, I've just checking the place out," I stated not wanting to get into the police aspect of my visit.

"I've been there before... you go down 17 to uh... it's something sea related... Sea Breeze... Sea Trails...," He listed while I shook my head.

"Do you know how many places down here have Sea in the title?" I asked.

"I've been there like twice all right, give me a break," he stated. "Do you need like a guide or map or something?"

"I kind of already have an offer," I told him.

"Is it that Michelle girl you're so chummy with all of the sudden?" He chuckled.

"Yes it is her and that's as far as this side of the conversation goes," I stated.

"I can see why you like her I guess. I mean she's only said like eight words to me since we met but you..." He started up before I interrupted him.

"Did I not just say that we weren't having this conversation?" I asked.

"She's hot, she's blonde, she's sweet, she's blonde..." He said with a laugh.

"You said blonde already and also, shut up," I grumbled.

"She's in college so she's smart... doesn't explain what she sees in you though," He went on.

"I'm hanging up now." I warned him.

"She's hot... did I mention blonde already?" He laughed.

"Hanging up now," I told him and hung up so I didn't have to endure anymore of his chatter. "She is all those things... and blonde. What the hell is she doing hanging out with me?"

****

Alex made his way up the Voss' staircase, passed Karly and Addison's rooms before he reached his destination. He knocked on the door and gave Joe a nod as he walked in.

"What's up boss?" Joe asked as he spun in his chair.

"Joe, I need you check something out for me. Very discretely," He shared.

"Okay?" Joe answered suspiciously.

"Mute the ear pieces. I don't want an audience for this," Alex stated as he folded his arms across his chest.

Joe spun back to his keyboard and after a couple of keystrokes he nodded.

"Done. Now what's this all about? You're spooking me a little bit," He shared.

"I need you to do a couple of things. Things that you can't tell anyone that you're doing. First, check everyone that's on the payroll here for anything that ties them to Russia. Look for anything, born there, lot's of vacations taken in the area that sort of thing." Alex stated.

"Russian," Joe asked confused.

"Yes, I'll explain later but trust me. Come right to me with anything you find and no one else, got me?"

"Yes, sir," Joe nodded.

"Good. Then I want you to look into any dealings the Voss' company has had overseas recently," He said.

"Russia?" He asked for clarification.

"Highlight anything there but let's get an overview of all that you can get your hands on," Alex answered.

"And report it back to you, I got it," He nodded. "Can you tell me why I'm doing this?"

"Not yet, Joe, but if you find anything I'll know more and be able to clue you in." He stated.

As his eyes drifted over the monitors where he saw Michelle and Karly on the front porch then Addison in a bikini by the pool. He pulled his eyes from her then nodded toward Michelle and Karly.

"I think Michelle is headed out with Ken. Any idea why Karly is with her?" He asked Joe.

"When Michelle asked me for Ken's number she mentioned something about breakfast. Karly was coming out of her room and I guess she overheard us so then she asked Michelle to take her with," Joe explained.

"I'm not sure that's such a great idea," Alex sighed.

"Better hurry down there then, boss, because he just pulled up," Joe informed him.

"Damn it," Alex cursed under his breath then gave Joe a nod as he left.

****

Cassidy Williams stepped out the front door and gave a Michelle warm smile then nodded at Karly.

"Good morning, ladies," He greeted them. "You two look like you're waiting for someone."

"We're waiting for Ken," Karly shared. "He's taking us to breakfast."

"Grayson huh," Cassidy grumbled. "I'm not sure that it's a great idea for you two to be going out now."

"Karly needs to get out for a little while and I owe him a breakfast," Michelle explained.

"You owe him?" He asked. "What exactly do you owe this guy for?"

"I let my swim buddy go out all on his own this morning," Michelle shared. "He could have gotten stung by a box jellyfish or something worse."

"I think I saw one of those out in the surf the other day. Scary looking thing," He commented matter of factly.

"Uh huh," Michelle said and hid her grin as I pulled to a stop.

"Hey guys." I said as I got out of my car to greet them.

Michelle was in a pair of khaki colored shorts, white tank top with a white button up blouse tied over it and Karly had dropped her standard band related black t-shirt and jeans combo for her own pair of white shorts and loose fitting red blouse. Cassidy was in his usual dark suit, sunglasses and 'sucked a sack load of lemons' look on his face.

"Morning, Kenny, you don't mind having a little company this morning do you?" Karly asked with a wide grin on her face.

"That's all right isn't it?" Michelle asked me. "She's got nothing to do this morning and she's feeling cooped up."

"I'm feeling like Rapunzel all locked away in my tower. Please get me out of here for a little while." Karly plead playfully.

"I don't think that is great idea, Karly," Cassidy pointed out.

"We'll be fine," Karly waved him off. "Besides, Michelle told me that we get to play detective with you."

"Karly, I did not say that." Michelle scolded her. "I said that we had to go by Scott's after we eat and that we would wait in the car while Kenny went inside."

1...345678