Double or Nothing Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mackenzie smiled, "You really struck the jackpot with them." She paused, the smile fading, and continued her story from her point of view.

"Anyway, when I saw you there smiling, you weren't devastated like I was, knowing that Dickhead and mum were right behind me and how they had been talking about you running away from us, I kind of snapped.

"Mum had only been married to Dickhead a short time, but already he was belittling you every chance he got. You were scum, a dirt bag father who would abandon his daughter, a poor lover and a lousy husband. Mum always agreed with him, so when I saw you happy and I wasn't, despite the clothes and the trappings, I was mad at you, and everything the dickhead said appeared a good thing to take out on you. In my mind, if I wasn't happy, then you shouldn't be. I'm sorry, Dad, I went too far."

"Yes, you did," I responded. She kept going, her pain so evident that I gave a deadpan response.

"When we left and went home, the dickhead was ranting and raving about how he would destroy you. You had already cost him a lot of money when you walked out on him at the hospital with that couple. They were a big deal with their yearly donations to the hospital region, and to lose that money, meant that we lost a lot of money too."

"That couple was William and Mattha, Melody and Harmony's parents."

Her eyes went wide, "Did you know that then?"

I shook my head and smiled. "No, it was later that I met the girls. But back to you, you and your mother came to see me the next day, and it was like you were a different person. You were more the Mackenzie I knew, not the bitch I saw at the café. What happened?"

She nodded, "I felt horrible that night and cried myself to sleep again. I knew I had hurt you again, but when I heard mum say she would head to my grandparents to try and get my university money from you, I begged to tag along. I wanted nothing more than to say I was sorry. I wanted to try and escape the nightmare my life was turning into."

She appeared lost for words, and for a few more moments, we both sat and contemplated what happened and its results that weekend. Finally, I wasn't sure if Mackenzie would say anything, so I prompted.

"When you and your mother drove away, I hoped that we might be able to reconnect, but later, your birthday came along."

Her voice was a moan of anguish, "My birthday, I so royally fucked that up too, didn't I?"

I snorted, "Yes, you surely did. That was when I truly felt all the remaining warmth and love for you die," I paused. "Or I thought that was the case."

She looked at me. She was shaking slightly. I longed to reach out to her, but I couldn't. Instead, we had to run the haunted house of memories to see if there was light or darkness at the end.

Her voice was shaky, but she spoke. "I know, Dad. At the time, I felt so vindicated in how I acted. Now all I feel is shame. At the time, the dickhead had only been home for a couple of days after being released on bail. He and mum were screaming your name, though I think it was for different reasons. They both agreed that you were the cause of their troubles. And what was worse was they kept saying there was not a lot of money anymore. I am ashamed to say that I'd gotten used to having new clothes, and Mum had taught me to expect them. I didn't know that he had tried to kill you."

She paused. "He really did, didn't he?"

"Yes," I snorted. "And he almost succeeded. I really did die twice with whatever he injected me with. My heart stopped twice while I was in that emergency room. But I am here today because of an amazing medical team and some TLC from Harmony. So, Mackenzie, the text?"

She groaned again, dreading the topic and her fuck ups. "Dad, I want to hear more on what he did, but I know this is about you. On my birthday, I saw your number come up, and I knew it was you. However, not ten minutes before, Mum and the dickhead were screaming bloody murder about you. When I listened to the message, I got mad, wondering how you could do this to us. Did you hate us that much? The dickhead had been telling me that now I was seventeen that I could sue you for the money, so I sent the text. It was one of the worst things I have ever done. Because until we were in that courtroom, I thought I was right, and you were just a vindictive ex-father that wanted revenge on us."

Her voice dropped an octave. "I never knew the truth till that day in court. I never let myself see the truth that we were in the wrong." I could hear the pain in her voice. "I never really thought I would lose you till I heard he tried to kill you. At that point, the broken part of me fell into a pit."

I recalled that day, Mackenzie just started crying as we told the story in court and never stopped even as the hearing was adjourned, and they ushered her and her mother out into the separate corridor.

She continued, sadness enshrined on every word, "I never even knew about the offer and the trust fund until about three days later when the lawyer that dickhead got me tried to explain it to me. All I could do was stare at you. I never heard a thing. When I heard about the conditions, I lost it again. I told them to shove the agreement. It was Mum who got me to sign it. Telling me that I had no chance of ever being loved by you again, so I might as well take your money."

She looked over at me sitting there, watching her. "I would have violated that agreement a million times over just to hear you call my name and have just one hug from you, Dad. I didn't need any of your money. I just wanted to go back in time to when you loved me, and I could be your daughter again." With that, she broke down completely. Mighty sobs wracked her frail body, tears falling from her eyes, "I just wanted to be your little girl. I just wanted my dad!" she cried to herself, holding her arms around her midsection as she drew shaking breaths and rocked side to side, twisting in a self-imposed agony.

I watched her for a couple of minutes, trying to keep myself calm, trying to keep my stoic exterior, and then I couldn't hold it in anymore. I felt the embers of love for my daughter, cold and almost inert for years, burst into life, heat searing my soul as I watched her break down. I reached over and, with effort, dragged her chair to mine, picked her up as if she weighed nothing and held her. Her cries became a wail. I wrapped my arms around my little girl and held her there on my lap. She balled her fists to my chest for the next ten minutes and sobbed. I rocked her backwards and forwards like she was a child in my arms again, not a twenty-two-year-old woman. I did not want to let her go, my tears rolling down my cheeks, both our tears staining the verandah below us. In the meantime, she kept crying 'Daddy!" And at that moment, I would not have let go for anything in the world.

Slowly, as the moon started to creep into the sky, our emotions wore themselves out. Our cries softened to sniffles, and Mackenzie just laid there as I held her. She had relaxed now, gently holding herself against me. In all the years since my journey had started, I had only rarely given myself the fantasy that it would be possible to hold my daughter again. It almost felt as if a piece of my soul had been restored.

My eyes were closed, and I held Mackenzie lightly, rocking back and forth with her when Melody's hand touched my shoulder.

My wife smiled tenderly at me, a sense of pride in her eyes aimed not just at me but also Mackenzie. "I'm sorry our love, I know this is important for you and Mackenzie, but the kids want to come and say goodnight."

Mackenzie looked up at me and sniffed, then smiled.

My daughter looked at Melody. She was a little worried but let me go, trying to give me a smile that didn't appear like she would burst into tears the moment I stood up. "It's okay, Dad. We both needed that, but if you need to put your kids to bed and you promise me you will come back so we can keep talking, you can go tell them goodnight."

I went to rise. Melody smiled, "I'll stay out here with her if you like." I looked at Mackenzie.

"Actually, Mackenzie, would you like to come with me and help tuck in your brothers and sisters?"

Both girls gasped, "Dad, I don't know if I can. I mean, there is so much..."

I interrupted.

"Yes, there is, Pumpkin, but I would rather have you by my side right now than here. We can keep talking after they are all in bed."

Melody helped Mackenzie and I up, and the three of us walked back inside. Everyone looked up as we entered. We had been outside for almost an hour, and everyone immediately noticed the tear stains on both my and Mackenzie's cheeks. Our red eyes were hard to miss. Carol immediately stood and walked towards us.

"It's good to see you two talking...." She started to say.

"Carol, it's my kid's bedtime right now, and Mackenzie and I need to keep talking."

She nodded, "I understand, Terry. I can wait."

I shook my head. "Carol, this will be a late one with a lot that both Mackenzie and I need to talk about. At the same time, my family has been gracious in looking after you for the past little while. So, I think it would be better if you headed back to your hotel."

She looked to Mackenzie, then back to me, ignoring everyone else.

'Ok, Terry, Mackenzie and I can come back tomorrow". I felt Mackenzie grab my arm and tighten her grip. I had my course of action.

"Sorry Carol, what I mean is that Mackenzie and I want to keep talking tonight. However, you don't need to be here. Mackenzie can stay here tonight, and we will look after her. However, you don't need to be here."

Carol bristled, and I could see some of her former indignation return, "What do you mean, Terry, my daughter needs me right now? I brought her here. You can't just throw me out like common garbage!"

"Why not bitch, you threw my amazing husband away like that!" Harmony said snapping her fingers and coming down the hallway to stand in the arch. She crossed her arms as she leant into the doorway, and her eyes could kill when looking at Carol, but she smiled when she looked at me. "Terry, the kids are ready for their story now, don't be long." Then she turned and walked away. I know she put more of a swing into her hips as we watched her walk away. I heard Melody chuckle behind me. She knew exactly what I was looking at.

Mackenzie cleared her throat. "Mum, it's okay. I'm not a kid anymore. I am twenty-two years old. Dad and his family will look after me. We can meet up in town tomorrow." Mackenzie squared her shoulders but never let go of my hand. "But right now, I need to keep talking with Dad. It's been almost seven years, and I am not letting go of this chance."

"But..." Carol started.

"No buts Mum, you are not helping this situation, and with what Dad and I have been comparing notes on so far, having you here will make things a lot harder!"

My ex-wife glared at me. "What have you been telling her, Terry?"

"Not much, Carol, in fact, Mackenzie has been doing most of the talking, but I think with a new perspective. It's amazing how reviewing the memories of a fifteen-year-old who was coerced into adoption by her mother and the man she was having an affair with replay when she's older..." I just let that sit with everyone for a moment.

Carol began to steam. She most likely thought that if she were thrown out, then Mackenzie would be too. I supposed an hour ago, that was a possibility. Now, I wasn't sure, but I hoped I might be able to restore something with my daughter following the discussion and emotional hugs not long ago.

Mackenzie spoke again. "Mum, it's alright, but I think you need to leave and let me reconnect with Dad. I'll be fine." With no further discussion, Mackenzie left my side and escorted her mother out of my front door to her car before it could escalate further.

I was halfway through reading 'the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar' to all the kids when Mackenzie came back in escorted by Melody.

I paused and let Melody sit down beside me on the right like she always did. Harmony was on my left, and then, to my amazement, Mackenzie sat down with the kids in the middle of the floor. By the end of the story, the kids wondered who the strange woman was.

"Adam, John, Grace and Beth, this is your big sister, Mackenzie Morrison. She is my daughter from my first marriage, before I met your mothers." I introduced them.

"Actually, it's Mackenzie Brown," she corrected. I raised my eyebrows.

We also introduced Candice and Holly, her cousins. Then for the next few minutes, the kids asked her lots of the questions that young kids do. They wondered how she could be Daddy's daughter and be a grown-up. If she was a grown-up did, she have kids like all the grownups they knew did. But young Grace asked the awkward question.

"Sister Mackenzie, what's wrong with your hair?"

I'd noticed earlier that Mackenzie had not taken the hat off all night; however, we all gasped as she did now. Sewn into the hat I had given her at thirteen years of age was a wig of brown hair. Under the wig, Mackenzie was bald, a common side effect of the chemo cancer treatment.

She put her hand on Grace's arm, "Grace, I am very sick, and the medicine that I need to take makes my hair fall out."

"Does it hurt?" Adam asked.

"It does a little," Mackenzie smiled, "But I try to be brave as much as possible."

For a few more minutes, the kids asked questions of their new big sister until Kim came into the room. Kim did a double-take at a bald Mackenzie but recovered quickly, clapping her hands.

"Okay, Kids, that's enough. Leave Mackenzie alone. You can talk to her in the morning. However, it's past all your bedtimes, so sleep!"

After the kids were in bed, Mackenzie gave my dad a huge hug. When he saw her bald head and understood she had the same cancer as Mum did, I watched my usually stoic dad become emotional as he held his granddaughter for the first time in almost seven years. They spoke softly for a while, and then John, along with William and Martha, said goodnight and went to bed.

Martha hugged me on the way out and whispered. "I know you're hurting again, Terry. I also know you are confused. But you're doing the right thing, she needs you to make her world right again." I responded by nodding and hugging my mother-in-law tightly.

Paul and Kim also retied, telling us they would listen to the kids and give us more time to chat.

Melody, Harmony, Mackenzie and myself headed back outside and sat down.

"Mackenzie, are you okay if we sit down with you and your dad?" Melody asked.

She nodded, "Yes... sorry, I can't tell you both apart?"

The girls laughed, "It's okay, for most people, it takes a while, I'm Melody, and this is my sister Harmony." She leaned in and, in a conspiratorial tone, said.

"If you want a cheats way to tell us apart around your dad, I usually sit on his right side while Harmony always sits on his left."

'Why is that?" Mackenzie asked.

We told the story of my fateful drive, our meeting in the storm, and I showed her the jagged scar on the back of my left arm that Harmony, as a nurse looked after when it first happened. She always tended to my left in the early days to look after my arm, so it became her side, and Melody took my right.

"So that's the reason I am always on his left," Harmony completed the story.

Mackenzie wiped tears off her face as she looked at me, pained, knowing what I had been through because of her mother and herself. She then looked at the three of us and cocked her head to the side.

"So, the three of you are married?"

"Yes," all three of us said in unison, looked at each other and smiled.

"So, how does it work?" asked my daughter. "I mean, do you sleep in the same room in separate beds? How does dad choose?"

"Oh no, Sweetie," Harmony explained, "we all sleep in the same bed. From the moment we all met, we have always slept in the same bed."

"So how does it work... you know?" she said, embarrassed.

The girls laughed

"You mean sex?" Melody asked, purring slightly.

My daughter blushed, "Yeah?"

Melody leaned into the table a little, her mood serious suddenly. "Mackenzie, what you need to know is that Harmony and I share your father equally, there is no separation between the two of us, and no, before you go there, we have not, nor will we be intimate with each other. However, yes, we work your father together, so more often than not, he works us together!"

She leaned back, smiled again, looked at me, and blew a kiss. I caught it in my hand put it to my cheek before I blew one back. Harmony reached over in front of me, snatched it out of the air, and brought my air kiss to her cheek.

"You see," Melody said, looking at Mackenzie, "Just like traditional marriage, we are one flesh and my sister and I love your father with everything we have."

"So, how do you get around the law?" Mackenzie asked, intrigued.

I jumped in. "Well, technically, I am married to Harmony. That is what is registered with the government. However, we also had Kim put us together a unique legal agreement for which we all signed that gave Melody the same rights and privileges. It can't be registered with the government as a marriage even though it's all legal. Honestly, I don't get all of it, but I am sure Aunt Kim would explain it to you."

Mackenzie put her head down a little. "I don't know that Aunt Kim likes me much after all I put you through."

"It's okay, Mackenzie," Harmony placated. "You're right in that Kim and Paul will take time to adjust to you, you did do some horrible things to your dad, and they had to be there for him."

Mackenzie looked like she was going to cry. Harmony continued in a softer tone.

"But in this family, we don't hide the bad things we do. We need to own them, talk them through, deal with them and move forward. You have a lot to make up for, that includes Kim. You should also know that Melody and I, for a long time, haven't thought much of you either."

Mackenzie was edging closer to crying but held back the tears, then nodded, saying nothing. Harmony stood up, walked around to her, sat in the chair beside her then pulled her up into a hug. Harmony lowered her voice again, talking to her like she did our children.

"But what we saw tonight was something we never thought we would see between our beloved husband and you. We have seen the start of reconciliation. And that would never have happened if you were not a hundred per cent honest with your father. He's been hurt badly, but he isn't a cruel soul. If he can find it in himself to forgive you, then we his wives can only do the same."

Melody lent on my shoulder and hugged my arm as Mackenzie hugged Harmony. She was crying again and holding the other woman like she had known her for years. Harmony closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around her as I had done earlier. "It's okay, Sweetie, just let it out." She told my daughter and kissed the top of her bald head.

It took some more time, and at one point, Harmony opened her eyes, looked at me and smiled.

Mackenzie's eyes were a bright red, there was snot pouring out of her nose, and she was hanging onto Harmony like her life depended on it. Mackenzie was raw. She looked at me, her eyes screaming for help. She then looked at Melody holding my arm, over to Harmony she was holding onto and then looked down into her lap.

"I am so sorry, everyone, each of you. Daddy, I love you so much, and while I can't undo anything I've done, if you will let me, I would like to try and make it up to you with as much time as I have left."

"Mackenzie," Harmony said softly. "It's going to be okay. We've got your back for whatever happens next. Hopefully, everything works out, and you have a long time to make it up to your father. But no more of that fatalistic talk. Deal?"

123456...8