Dove Caught in a Burning Bush Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His eyes narrowed at her touch, but allowed her to stroke his cheek with her fingers, some of the tension leaving his shoulders as he leaned into the caress. "I won't relax until the guard finishes their sweep of the palace," he replied. "Keep your window shut at night from now on."

"I will," Crucifel promised, the thought already having occurred to her, as well as the idea of chaining them with consecrated metal. "But please, at least let them check you over while you wait."

He murmured something softly under his breath, but stepped away from her to allow the servant to inspect him. It was a quick checkup, the worst injury being the pair of claw marks sliced over the ribs of his right side. The other, smaller, injury was a split nail from clawing the incubus's ribcage open. As such, the majority of the blood splattered across him was the black oil of the demon, smeared through with a shimmer of gold on his side that drew concerned glances but was far from severe.

When the examination was finished, Mirilmen bowed to him, "Your Majesty, you are stable but please allow us to tend to the lacerations before they fester. It isn't good to let injuries made by a demon alone for too long."

"Not yet," Promethiel replied with finality, his eyes flicking to Crucifel as she stood beside him. "Not until I'm sure."

The entire room seemed to sigh in relief as the captain of the guard returned at that moment with his inspection completed, looking tired but less strained than he had been before.

"The rest of the palace is secure, Your Grace," Kelanan reported. "We've cleared the halls and searched every room. There are no other incursions into the palace and we have declared it safe."

"Very good," Promethiel said, his voice even. There was no mistaking the warning in his eyes as he continued on, though. Not a threat, but certainly not outside the wheelhouse. "Captain Kelanan. I'll be meeting with you later to discuss what happened tonight."

The captain bowed before standing at attention and waiting for his next orders.

"I want at least four guards in front of my chambers while my sister sleeps," Promethiel commanded, sweeping his gaze over the entire team. "She will not be waking up to another attack, am I understood?"

Kelanan bowed again, his gaze sliding over Crucifel, who was still shielded by Promethiel's wing. "My deepest and most sincere of apologies, Your Highness. I assure you, this has been a grave learning experience for the guard."

Crucifel nodded, forcing a small smile onto her lips. "I know. Thank you, Kelanan. Please take care of yourself too, there's gold on your shoulder."

The captain set his lips in a small, rueful smile, "it isn't mine, Your Highness. But I appreciate your concern."

With the palace cleared, Promethiel finally allowed the servants to lead him to the baths to be cleaned of the demon's gore and treat his wounds.

Crucifel waited outside in the company of the guards, worry keeping her near even as her mind and body were exhausted from the events of the night. Each thought was a whirlwind of chaos behind her sunlight colored eyes, but also somehow sluggish at the same time. A servant had come by with a cup of tea for her, which Crucifel had let go cold in her hands as she waited.

When Promethiel at last emerged from the baths, she was struck by how normal he seemed. Like he hadn't just been coated with the remains of an incubus. His wings were bright and clean, his snowy hair was brushed and flowed down to frame the side of his face and fall over his shoulder, while behind it had been gathered into the usual ponytail down his back. And lastly, he'd donned a new set of robes. With how thickly he had been coated in the demon's blood, it felt like the black stains should have turned his feathers and hair grey for days after.

"You look better," Crucifel murmured, watching him closely as he walked over to her.

The Archangel chuckled tiredly, "less like I've spilled a pot of ink over my head?"

"A little," Crucifel agreed wryly, her gaze flicking to the side. "Promethiel, I... thank you, for coming to my aid."

He tilted his head to the side, squinting at her with a small puff of bemusement. "What else could I have done if I found a demon in your chambers? Let it feed on you like a parasite, let it touch you?" He asked quietly, more of that anger starting to rise in his shoulders. "I'd do it again, a thousand times over, my only regret is not getting there faster."

Promethiel sighed, stretching his wings out as he forced himself to relax. "Come, Crucifel. You'll be sleeping in my chambers where I can watch over you until your own room is repaired."

Crucifel hesitated, her yellow eyes meeting Promethiel's as she searched for any hint of ill intent. When she saw none, she nodded hesitantly. "Yes, all right. Thank you."

"Come on," he said softly, "we still have a few hours before morning and I would like to rest before dealing with the captain of the guard and this...indiscretion of his."

She followed him wordlessly, feeling exhaustion deep in her bones as the adrenaline fully left her now that she knew Promethiel wasn't in serious condition. All Crucifel wanted to do was curl up and sleep for days, but she knew that wouldn't be possible. Just like Promethiel, she had duties and obligations when dawn broke.

So when she settled onto the bed, she didn't even bother to burrow beneath the covers. Instead, the angel simply stretched out on top of them, her arms wrapping around a pillow as she hugged it to herself.

Promethiel settled next to her, his once more crisp white wings resting over her form protectively like a feathery blanket. He wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer against him so that she could feel the warmth of his body. "Crucifel," he murmured quietly, "I know think of me as a murderer and damned soul, but I meant what I said in the library before."

Normally, Crucifel would have shivered in disdain, but at the moment she only focused on Promethiel's warm wing resting over her, allowing him to speak.

"I adore you, far beyond what I should," he continued, "I know I've said I would kill you if you told the kingdom what you knew. But even if you did, I don't think I'd have the heart."

She sighed deeply, eyes narrowing as she noticed the glimpse of bandages on his side where his clothing rode up slightly. "You know better," she whispered. "It's not right to say such things to me."

"Perhaps," Promethiel murmured, his eyes glowing softly in the dark, "but it doesn't change how I feel."

Crucifel shook her head, feeling her own eyes growing heavy. "Can I trust you not to do anything vulgar to me in my sleep?"

He chuckled, brushing a strand of her wintry hair from her face. "You are safe with me while you slumber, Crucifel."

"I know," she murmured, "but... I just feel the need to ask."

Promethiel nodded, settling his head onto the pillow beside hers. "So long as you don't strike or bite me in your sleep, I won't have to toss you from my bed."

She huffed quietly, closing her eyes and swiping a feather across his nose. "No promises."