Down on the Farm Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, can you delay it till after the 4th? We gotta keep you on our team, man."

"The date hasn't been finalized yet, but we'll keep your request under advisement."

"I can still feel your smoking fast ball. My hand was bruised for a week."

I wish him a Merry Christmas and move towards the car. Trish catches up and we climb in. "I didn't think you'd feel comfortable asking him a question like that." she stated.

"You believe it's important, and I guess I want to know why."

"If you felt uncomfortable this morning by what I was telling you, I promise that you will be awkward talking with him."

"What do you mean by that?"

"The topic you have asked about, will make you feel uncomfortable. Just be expecting it."

"Why, have I said something wrong?"

"On the contrary. What you've asked, is the right question."

Now I'm confused.

"Mark," Trish informed, "ask your questions and you'll receive honest and open answers. Understand that it will be spiritual information which affects each of us personally. That's why you may feel uncomfortable. Have an open mind and an open heart."

We arrived home so I quickly changed and walked to the barn to work on the compressor. Trish said she could bring a couple sandwiches if I wanted. "That'd be great."

The tools and parts are as I'd left them. I pick up a screwdriver to remove the cover from the pressure switch. Immediately I see the problem; a wire has come loose from a contact. It is put in place, the screw tightened and cover replaced. When the switch is flipped the machine roars to life. Problem solved, I thought. I put everything back together and am putting the tools away as Trish returns, carrying the sandwiches.

From her quizzical look I respond, "Loose wire. It's fixed. Didn't take long, did it?"

The next day was business as usual, in other words something was always happening. First one of our high producers got mastitis. That means she's out of production for several days and that hurts. One of the calves has an eye infection and the vet was called. And the fence on the back quarter needed fixed. A couple of cows were seen reaching across to sample the neighbor's winter wheat. Anyway my mind was elsewhere as the pastor pulled into the yard.

Edith greeted him and directed him to the milking parlor. Trish was with the vet, looking at the calf and Becky was helping wash down the cows. I wiped my hand before shaking his. "Hope you don't mind the noise and activity while we talk?"

"Not at all. I helped Bud a time or two, so I know what's gotta be done."

I invite him towards the back and start milking. "Ok, answer my question. I'll listen and stop you if need be."

He begins talking and I listen. The main thrust of his words were that all men have turned from God. No exceptions. God wants people to talk with Him and He wants to talk with us. The problem is sin, this separates us from God and God's law requires a sacrifice for this sin. Because of his love for us, God was willing to send Jesus to pay that price. That's why He had to die.

He stops at this point as I bring in a fresh lot of cows. "So what's this 'love your fellowman stuff?" I ask.

"Jesus was speaking to Christians about how He wants them to live."

"So we're all Christians, right?"

"Mark, what is a Christian?"

"Someone who believes in God."

"Yes a Christian does believe in God. But what is a Christian?"

"Someone who goes to church, reads the Bible and prays."

"Yes a Christian does that. But what is a Christian?"

I am confused so respond, "You tell me."

That's when he started quoting things from the Bible and I got uncomfortable. He was making it personal. To make it short, he told me that Christian is someone who has a personal relationship with Christ. Then he asked if I had one. Heck, I didn't know.

"Mark?"

I turned at Trish's voice.

"Do you remember that I loved you a long time before you realized it? That's like Christ love for us. At first we don't know it. Later Mom told you about my love, but you weren't ready. Then on that one day you accepted my love, you received it and our relationship really began. In a sense, that's how God's love is for us. We have to admit to Him we've done wrong, and accept His offer and have a personal relationship with Him."

The pastor continued, "If you feel uncomfortable, its because you are being asked to talk to God, who's Holy and you're not. He wants a relationship with you, but is waiting for you to ask Him."

What they said made sense, but I was all torn up inside. "So what do I have to do?"

"The same thing you told me that day. And that you want to start a relationship with Him. When you do, you become a Christian, a member of God's family."

So I did, right there, right then. I didn't feel much different, just a sense of relief. Inwardly I promised Him I'd keep my word and to harm no one.

Pastor added, "You should tell someone of this decision. Plus talk to God through the day. You talk to Trish, talk to God also. Nothing fancy, just talk; out loud or silently, it doesn't matter."

Shortly after this he had to leave, but promised to talk to me more later on. Trish and Becky hadn't said anything but they were smiling. We finished up the milking and other chores before heading to the house.

Edith was preparing supper and ask what he had said. I told her and mentioned my decision. She walked up to me, wrapped her arms around me and said "Welcome home, Mark."

Things were no different around the farm, but I did find my self talking to God throughout the day. It seemed natural, so I did it. Also Christmas was important now, not just a holiday. As weeks would pass I discovered my interest in attending church. Before, I'd done it because Trish or because the family went. Now I wanted to go to learn.

The Christmas holidays came and went with January showing itself on the calendar. Edith, Trish and I had talked to a lawyer about the sale of the farm and dairy and an agreement was worked out. Edith didn't want to be tied to the business and decided to work as a business administrator. If in the future she were to ever remarry or want to leave, a separation would be easier.

It was January 26th and I remember looking up from my work to see Chuck drive up to the milk house. Chuck was the local milk inspector who would visit about every three weeks. Even though it was always unannounced all the local dairy farmers knew close to when he would appear on our doorsteps. He stepped out of his truck and I greeted him. Over the past few months I'd come to know him well. He carried his checklist on a clipboard and silently began his inspection. As we always received above average scores, I wasn't concerned. He would often point out something that needed improvement, which I would always do. Today was no different and he passed along the check off list with a couple recommendations.

That's when he said, "Mark, the milk company will be closing down at the end of this year."

12