Down on the Ground

Story Info
A short sequel to the movie 'Up In The Air'.
2k words
3.63
4.2k
4
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Egregious
Egregious
157 Followers

Down On The Ground, a short sequel to the movie 'Up In The Air'.

Editor: Many thanks to Tess for corrections to spelling, grammar, and verb tense. Also comments and suggestions making a more compelling story.

Characters:

Husband: Jeff Goran, (CEO IT company).

Wife: Alexandra Gogran, (professional businesswoman).

Fellow air traveller: Ryan Bingham (downsizing consultant).

Wife's friend: Carol, Ted (ex-husband).

Back story:

Ryan is a downsizing expert. He lives out of a suitcase, travelling around North America firing corporate staff. He meets another fellow traveller Alex, a professional businesswoman who also flies frequently. They begin a casual sexual relationship, meeting up as schedules allow. She reluctantly accompanies Ryan as a plus one at his sister's wedding. Ryan starts to question his lifestyle and realises he has strong feelings for Alex, impulsively flies to Chicago. Arriving at her home, he is stunned to find she is married and has children. Later she phones him, saying that her family is her real-life; he is merely an escape.

STORY:

Five years ago, Alex took on a new job as a professional business trouble-shooter, travelling the country via air. Jeff initially emphatically trusted Alex and assured her he could manage the family with the various children's events while she was, up in the air.

Alex made one promise, she would always be home on weekends and anniversaries and children's special events. But over the last few years, she has been coming up with excuses not to be home. Jeff had noticed a change in his wife's demeanour. The change started a year ago shortly after Alex turned 40.

Alex's best friend Carol a clerical accountant at Jeff's IT firm. Carol's husband, Ted is in middle management. They were all good friends until.

Six months ago, when it was discovered Ted had an affair with his much younger secretary. Then Ted decided to divorce Carol. She discovers, from other female workers in Ted's office, the secretary is pregnant with his child.

Carol was devastated, she put having children on hold to support Ted's career endeavours. Now close to 40 it's nearly too late to have children of her own. She tries to contact her best friend for consolation. But she is up in the air again. So, she visits Jeff looking for support and guidance.

While commiserating Jeff complains to Carol, that Alex is spending too much time up in the air. She is missing out on the growth of their children. Now in their early teens, they especially need their mother the most. Also, he feels their romantic relationship is becoming distant. Their friendship develops.

oOo

Jeff and Carol have become very close over the past year since her divorce. She is stepping in when Alex has been unable to attend the various children sporting, class meetings, and school social events. Also, several business dinners attended with Jeff as his plus-one.

Becoming, more and more suspicious of his wife's activities. Jeff hires detectives to follow Alex as she arrives at each airport. Six months on, reading the reports, his hopes of a continuing happy marriage are shattered. Realising the number of her one-night stands with various men, a pilot, a bartender, even a taxi driver. Just, to name a few. It appears as soon as Alex steps out the door of her home, she removes her wedding rings. It's as if she switches to another personality, that of a single woman with no family responsibilities.

But one affair stands out amongst the rest! She has been meeting him regularly, as they criss-cross the country via air. To the extent, she travelled with him for a weekend to his sister's wedding. His name is Ryan Bingham, a downsizing consultant. Jeff's IT company has used their services in the past. It would appear Ryan has no idea she is leading two lives. As he unexpectedly turned up at Alex's home one evening, to find Alex had a family. The look of surprise on his face said it all, judging by the image, captured on the home CCTV surveillance system.

Jeff has finally had enough of Alex liaisons. With the appearance of Ryan Bingham at his doorstep, he is going to put a stop to them. Contacting his attorneys, he starts divorce proceedings. Supplying, all the necessary video and photographic evidence required, to claim custody of their children.

oOo

After another long trip, Alex arrives home to a quiet house. Afraid she has missed an important social event. She tries contacting Jeff when he doesn't answer, she, tries Carol's mobile getting the same result. What going on?

Still, deep in thought, there is a knock on the door. Assuming the family has arrived home, she opens the door to a man in a cheap suit. He hands her a manila envelope and states, "you've been, served" then quickly departs.

To her horror, she realises they are divorce papers. Her escape life has caught up with her. Bursting into tears hurriedly closes the door and walks to the kitchen, sitting down in a dream state. All for the sake of a bit of flirting. A bit of sex on the side, most of which meant nothing to her.

Opening the envelope legal papers spill over the table, with attached black and white photos, displaying her numerous partners, entering and exiting hotel rooms. A note explains, more explicit photos, can be obtained on request.

There on the breakfast counter is an envelope with her name written in her husband's handwriting.

The Letter

Alex,

You now find yourself alone, after deserting your family, to be up in the air living a fantasy life.

I implicitly trusted you, and now find for the past two years you have been cheating on our relationship and that of your two children.

The house is yours to do with what you will. We have moved into a bigger home.

Don't try and deny it, having all the proof I need. So, it would be easier to accept the terms and not contest the divorce.

Perhaps you felt my relationship with Carol, had developed to more than friends. Well, I can tell you although we are attracted to each other, she has only ever been a friend to me and the children. We have never had sex. I saw that as breaking my marriage vows, which I held strongly. To be honest it has been hard, as I feel greatly attracted to her.

I have kept you appraised of all school functions and expected you to be with me at these events. Unfortunately, you have not been attending most of these over the last two years. Coming up with work-related excuses.

Carol has stepped into your place, too attending school fetes, class evaluation, parent-teacher consultations, school presentation nights. Where have you been, up in the air, cheating?

Carol was there when your daughter discovers her periods, much to my relief stepped in to hold the fort. She helped our daughter choose a prom dress and showed her how to put on full makeup. She talked with her when she was having boy problems. Where were you for our daughter? She has become more of a mother to our children than you.

As soon as the divorce goes through, we will marry, and expect to start our own family quickly thereafter.

My final thought, "you cannot cheat on your spouse and children if you truly love them."

Goodbye,

Jeff.

oOo

Life for Alex carries on. Travelling the continent on business endeavours. Occasionally crossing Ryan's path, either arriving or departing an airport, but never meeting. Before long five years had passed since her divorce. She tries to visit her children at least once a month. Refraining from entering their home not wishing to see her ex-husband and former best friend together with their child.

Alex had just turned 48. A low-key birthday luncheon with a couple of girlfriends from her department, help celebrate the day.

A week later, back at head office. She's told to attend an interview at four in the afternoon. Arriving on time at the interview room door, she knocks. Hearing a gruff reply "enter and take a seat." An older looking gentleman with greying hair is sitting reading a report.

Once settled he looks up, showing surprise on his face.

Alex's mouth drops open..."Oh my god, you are here to fire me."

Across the desk, Ryan replies, "downsizing!"

"So, who is Alexandra Whiting?" asks Ryan.

"It's my maiden name," replies Alex," and I'm too young to retire!"

"Well, for your information, this is my last job. I got downsized this morning, via an email," responds Ryan, "and I'm only 53!"

Ryan continues, "Alex, you will be okay your husband can support you."

Alex replies, "unfortunately, we got divorced five years ago when he found out about my escape life."

"Oh...sorry to hear that, Alex" was Ryan's reply.

"So, Ryan, what are you going to do for the rest of your life?" asks Alex.

Ryan answers, "A year ago, I purchased a four-bedroom house in a quiet cul-de-sac, overlooking Monterey Bay. I plan to retire there. It just came a bit sooner than I expected."

"So, you're going to sit out twenty years, watching the bay?" Alex stated.

Ryan replies, "No. I'm going to travel and see all of North America."

"But you must have done that by now with thousands of flier points," responds Alex.

"Sure, but not by air," states Ryan.

"I recently watched a documentary on TV, about an Englishman who travelled North America on trains. He purchased a train ticket to cross the country. Stopping for a few days at various interesting stations along the track. Then travelled around discovering the area via car. Hopping on the next train to continue his journey."

"Have you ever been to Yellow Stone Park or The Grand Canyon and numerous places in between? I have been so busy up in the air I've missed all these places. It's now it is time to do stuff for myself. I have purchased his book and will use it as my itinerary."

Alex responds, "I have no idea what I'm going to do. I've been caught by surprise with this downsizing. I hold no ill feelings towards you and wish you well on your voyages. I'll go pack my personal belongings and be on my way."

oOo

Ryan loading his bags in the taxi boot when he hears baggage wheels on the pavement. He looks up to see Alex exiting the building, struggling with a cardboard box under one arm, towing a lightweight carry-on luggage bag, heading in his direction.

"Alex, can I give you a lift somewhere?" he asks.

"The least you can do for firing me!"

"I see you too, have an emergency travel bag," declares Ryan as he loads her box and bag into the boot.

Once in the back seat of the cab, the drives ask, "where to buddy."

Ryan replies, "can we just wait here for a moment."

"Sure mac, your meter," comes the driver's response.

They both find themselves looking into each other's eyes. Memories of their past tryst revived. They entwine fingers, both feeling a rekindling of their previous romance, this time with no secrets.

Alex is the first to break the spell, "I know a guy who had this four-bedroom house overlooking Monterey Bay. I've got time to visit him now, would you like to tag along?"

"He wouldn't mind if I come too?," is Ryan's reply.

Alex responds, "sure, he's never home, always up in the air."

Ryan thinks for a moment, "how about we take a train? We can get a berth each where the dividing wall comes down to make a bigger room with a double bed. I'm, told the rhythm of the train is very conducive for romance!"

Pulling out his train time table, scanning the listings he expounds, "if we are quick, we can catch the Silver Streak to San Francisco, departing in 45 minutes."

Ryan, "Driver--"

"Train station," responds Alex.

THE END.

Egregious
Egregious
157 Followers