Dragonborn Rising Ch. 36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I put the extractor in my pack and left without another word. Whether I would do what he wanted, I wasn't sure, though I'll admit a little part of me did wonder what was behind that door. Gold and riches? Knowledge and power? Just another trap? Or perhaps an enemy so powerful, that's why it had been shut away?

Still thinking about it, I barely noticed what happened near the entrance until I nearly ran into it. I can't describe what it was, but it was definitely ugly. "I am Hermaeus Mora. I am the guardian of the unseen, and knower of the unknown. I have been watching you, mortal. Most impressive."

I groaned. That's all I needed. The presence of another daedra in my life.

"Your continuing aid to Septimus renders him increasingly obsolete. He has served me well, but his time is nearing its end. Once that infernal lockbox is opened, he will have exhausted his usefulness to me. When that time comes, you shall take his place as my emissary. What say you?"

"Piss off and find another servant. I'm through dealing with daedra."

He muttered something and promptly disappeared. I'd probably pissed him off, but that was just further reason not to help Septimus any further. I was through serving daedra. Returning to the inn by nightfall, the innkeeper was surprised to see me now alone, but happily offered me a meal, beer and a bed. It was a little weird going to bed alone. Couldn't remember the last time that happened!

I headed back to the college the next morning. Wandering over the bridge and onto the grounds, there were a few hooded figures walking around, figuring they were either wizards or apprentices. I stopped one of them and asked after Mirabelle, pointed towards a door that led to the private quarters of students and teachers alike.

Wandering inside, I found on the second floor, reading a book at her desk. I knocked on the wall to gain her attention. When she turned to look at me, my breath caught again as the similarity was uncanny. I knew it was the wrong reason to show an interest, but maybe when I got to know her, the personality would surely be different...

"Ragnar," she said softly, getting to her feet. I couldn't help smile at the fact she remembered me.

"Hello, Mirabelle."

I watched her as she stepped towards me. "What brings you back to the college?"

I almost blurted out, "You", though I did wonder how she would have reacted. So I said, "Well, I was in the area again so thought I'd stop by."

"Have you given it some thought, about becoming a student?"

"There's a better reason for me to consider staying here, Mirabelle."

She heard the soft tone and I couldn't help smile when I noticed the blush form. I have a feeling she didn't receive much attention, or was perhaps so busy, she didn't give it a thought. "Why don't I give you a bit of a tour and you can stay for a while?"

I felt my smile broaden as I agreed that sounded like a fine idea. So she showed me around the grounds first. There wasn't a whole lot to see but I just enjoyed being in her presence, and felt her walk as close as possible to me at the same time. Following her up the stairs to the top of the walls, we gained a great view of the surrounding area. Being that high exposed us to the wind. Noticing her shiver, that's when I wrapped an arm around her while looping my furs around her body. We stayed up there for quite a while, sharing the occasional word.

I'd already been in the library but she did take me to meet the Arch-Mage, a Dunmer by the name of Savos Aren. I think he barely noticed either of us. Gods only knew what he was doing, but Mirabelle seemed unperturbed by his absent-mindedness.

After exploring one or two other areas, it was time for a late lunch, Mirabelle wondering if I wanted to join her. I answered the question so quickly, it made her blush again. We ended up dining together alone in her room, really getting to know each other in privacy. She asked plenty of personal questions about myself. She already knew I was the Dragonborn, so I admitted I'd been married before, performed some jobs around Skyrim, leaving the darker stuff out. As for herself, she was High Rock born and bred though had made her way to the college at a young age, wanting to become a master wizard.

I could have stayed all day and night, but I eventually told her that I had to leave, showing her the Elder Scroll I'd discovered. She was definitely fascinated by that, wondering what I needed it for. "It might help me stop Alduin and the crisis," I said.

"We've seen the occasional dragon fly by. Should we be concerned?"

"I aim to stop all this as quickly as possible."

"Maybe you could return after you're finished?"

I heard an... eagerness to her tone to say yes. So I took a chance myself, leaned forward, and kissed her. She responded immediately. I wrapped an arm around her, holding her close. It was such a reminder that... I stopped. I had to stop. It wasn't fair on her. I leaned back and looked away. For the first time in months, I felt the oncoming feeling of tears.

"I'm a reminder?" she asked softly.

"And it's not fair on you," I replied quietly.

She put a finger to my chin so I looked at her. She simply smiled at me, leaning forward to kiss me again. "I might be a reminder, Ragnar, but I'm my own woman."

I took a moment to get my thoughts in order before pulling her close again. The only reason I didn't end up sleeping with her that afternoon is that I didn't want to just have sex then leave. We made out for a while before I had to suggest I needed to leave, thinking I could leave and make Windhelm by nightfall.

She walked with me all the way across the bridge to the edge of town, where we kissed again. Then I held her in my arms and I nearly called her the wrong name. She heard the catch in my voice, feeling her squeeze me tightly in return. "When it's all over, return here and you'll really get to know me, if you'd like."

"I'd like that, Mirabelle," I admitted.

We kissed a final time before she turned to walk across the bridge, though she turned back and I saw the smile again. And I knew, then and there, that I'd definitely return. Maybe joining the college wasn't such a bad idea after all?

*****

It was a two-and-a-half-day ride just to make it back to Ivarstead. I was tempted to stop by Whiterun and collect a friend or two but I didn't want the distractions, nor reveal the main secret of the Greybeards. They were better off simply not knowing for now.

The innkeeper wasn't particularly surprised to see me when I trudged in, probably looking and smelling like a wet dog, the weather turning miserable as I rode south, whispering 'Dragonborn' once I'd taken a room for the night. I simply smirked, grabbing the tankard of beer and planting my arse by the fire to dry out.

I left for High Hrothgar the next morning, the weather still miserable, thick cloud rolling in not long after I'd started to climb the mountain. However, the higher I climbed, the fog did lift, and after a few hours and approaching the old monastery, the weather had at least cleared somewhat. Entering the ancient building, Arngeir soon approached me as I dried off my clothes and furs.

"You have returned, Dragonborn."

"I have, Master. I will wait here until first light tomorrow before completing the journey."

"You were successful in your task?"

"Yes, Master. The scroll is with me."

"Very well. We trust in Paarthurnax, and we will trust in you, Dragonborn. Have you eaten?"

"Not since leaving Ivarstead."

"Then please join us for dinner."

It was always quiet at dinner with the old monks, left wondering if they would be the last of their order, or if they would look for and accept new recruits. I wasn't sure how it worked, though from what Arngeir had told me, it took decades of practice to become one with the Voice. I guess I was getting used to sleeping alone, or perhaps it was the long journey, as I fell straight to sleep that night.

It was a blue, cloudless sky beginning the final part of my journey the next morning. Paarthurnax had barely moved when I made my appearance. Without ceremony, I dropped my pack and showed him the Elder Scroll. I think it was the first time I heard any change in his tone, actually sounding momentarily excited. "You have it. The Kel - the Elder Scroll. Tiid kreh... qalos. Time shudders at its touch. There is no question. You are doom-driven. Kogaan Akatosh. The very bones of the earths are at your disposal. Go then. Fulfil your destiny. Take the Scroll to the Time-Wound. Do not delay. Alduin will be coming. He cannot miss the signs."

The Time Wound was nearby. Blink and you'd miss it, but if I stood still, I could see a faint ripple. I'm not sure it was some form of magic or something else entirely, but I stood where I needed and opened the Elder Scroll.

I was immediately blinded, but after regaining my vision, I was somewhere else. I was still at the Throat of the World, but it was definitely a different time. In front of me were warriors, ancient warriors, though I could still understand their tongue at least. They were busy fighting off a dragon and discussing Alduin, and I correctly guessed this was the day Alduin was banished.

Alduin eventually appeared and it was then that I learned the words needed for a Shout called Dragonrend, the warriors of old using it to force Alduin to the ground, and it was then that they were able to fight and, more importantly, draw blood.

But they could not kill him, one of the ancient warriors being killed, and it was only then that one of the old warriors used an Elder Scroll, and with what sounded like a spell, Alduin was banished, though not forever. Even the old warrior knew that Alduin would reappear one day.

With a blink of my eyes, I returned to the present day. Before Paarthurnax could ask a question, there was a roar and the black form of Alduin appeared nearby. "Bahloki nahkip sillesejoor. My belly is full of the souls of your fellow mortals, Dovahkiin. Die now and await your fate in Sovngarde."

Before I could use my newly learned Shout, Paarthurnax took off, straight for Alduin. "Lost funt. You are too late, Alduin! Dovahkiin! Use Dragonrend, if you know it!"

The two old dragons fought each other and it was immediately obvious that Alduin was the stronger. But Paarthurnax wasn't fighting, he was getting Alduin into position so I could use Dragonrend. I couldn't help smirk as Alduin forgot I even existed, so caught him by surprise when I used my Thu'um.

"JOOR... ZAH... FRUL..."

Alduin was quickly forced to the ground and I was ready with sword and shield. Alduin certainly had a lot to say, and I had to be careful of his razor sharp teeth and claws, but I certainly got in some strikes of my own. The spell lasted all of twenty seconds or so before it wore off and Alduin started to take off. So I just used my Thu'um again, forcing him down. Paarthurnax took position nearby and used his own Thu'um, Alduin taking damage from both of us.

"Dovahkiin, you call yourself? Arrogant mortal," he cried, leaning back and taking a hard swipe. I lifted my shield just in time, rolling out of the way. Distracted like I was, I felt the heat of flames, using my furs to wrap myself in a ball, feeling frost cover me at the same time.

Unwrapping myself, it was obvious Paarthurnax had helped me out, looking his way and nodding though Alduin was now in the air again. "Thanks!" I yelled.

"Don't underestimate him, Dovahkiin!" he warned.

There was another roar and Alduin seemed to appear from nowhere, forcing me onto the ground as he swooped, feeling his claws scratched into the back of my armour. I was on my feet immediately and used Dragonrend again. Now I was just pissed off, closing in on him by the time he'd landed.

"Time to die, dragon," I growled, going straight for his head. Whack. Block. Thrust. Block. Swipe. Block. I knew I was drawing blood too, doing everything I could to get my sword between his thick scales. Paarthurnax was still helping.

He tried to take off again, and I just forced him back down. Paarthurnax helped distracted Alduin again, turning the dragon so I could now attack elsewhere. Now I was getting the hang of it, I was soon drawing blood from his body and neck, but Alduin was strong, and despite the blood loss, he just wouldn't go down.

Then he used a Shout, causing the skies to turn red and rocks to fall from the sky. He was a wily, old thing, but I had a trick or two of my own. I didn't always remember the Shouts, but I did remember this one.

"LOK... VAH... KOOR..."

As soon as the skies turned red, they turned blue once again. Alduin turned and glared at me angrily. I just tapped my sword against my shield. "Your head will look good resting above my fireplace," I stated.

"You will pay for your defiance!"

He took off, I forced him back down. That happened at least twice more before Paarthurnax stated worryingly, "He just won't die, Dovahkiin!"

I was thinking the same thing. Any other dragon I'd fought had definitely died by now. So while Dragonrend allowed me to fight and draw blood, it didn't allow me to kill him. Alduin took off a final time, floating a few feet above my head. "Meyz mul, Dovahkiin. You have become strong. But I am Al-du-in, Firstborn of Akatosh! Mulaagi zok lot! I cannot be slain here, by you or anyone else! You cannot prevail against me. I will outlast you... mortal!"

He turned and started to fly away, and I'll admit, I let him go. I was exhausted, and if what he said was true, then continuing to fight him was pointless. Paarthurnax rested on the broken wall nearby, and I could see he was bleeding from numerous wounds, jogging over to him. I think he almost laughed at my concern. "I will be fine, Dovahkiin, but thank you."

"I guess we're going to need a new plan if I can't kill him here. Guess I'd better speak with Arngeir, see if he has any suggestions."

"Dragonsreach, Dovahkiin," Paarthurnax stated.

"What?"

"Dragonsreach. Arngeir will know what I mean. He can tell you what you require."


12