Dreams of Destiny Pt. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Destiny’s mind was on the same subject. She glanced at Juan. She put her hopes aside superstitiously. In her experience, wanting something really badly usually meant you didn’t get it.

Practical Maria had gone upstairs to the linen closet and pulled out some towels. She threw two of them down stairs for Juan and Destiny and went into John’s bedroom to coax Aristotle out of hiding and to towel him off.

Although is was still rather warm outside, Destiny was a little chilly. She searched the kitchen cabinets until she found a tin of tea. She put some distilled water into the kettle that was sitting on the stove. She rooted around in the refrigerator and brought out milk, which she sniffed, suspiciously. It was fresh.

“Do you take your tea with milk or lemon?” she asked Juan.

“Milk, and two teaspoons of sugar if there is any,” Juan said. He called upstairs to Maria, “Maria, do you want tea?”

Maria didn’t hear him. She was lost in sorrow. She wanted to stay upstairs with Aristotle and hide from the world for a while. She had finished drying Off Aristotle and hadn’t bothered with herself. She sat in a puddle on the floor.

She’d never been in John’s bedroom before. Being there brought back the desolation she had forgotten about for a short while.I don’t know if I’ll ever get over you, she whispered to the walls of the room. How many time had she imagined being in John’s arms? She didn’t know. She put her head on her arms and cried. Aristotle scrunched up next to her and tried to sit in her lap as if he wanted to ease her sorrow. He whined a little.

She lifted her head and looked the dog in the eyes. “You’ll be happy on the island,” she promised him. Juan and Destiny love you already. I’d just make a mess of your life. I’d live in a dream world where you and me and John make a home and a family. But it wouldn’t be real. We both have to go on.”

Juan had come upstairs, worried about Maria when she hadn’t answered his call. He overheard her conversation with Aristotle. He felt like a heel. John had never given Maria a thought as anything beyond a friend and partner. He had never known the depths of her feelings for him.

A flash of lightning lit up the room. Thunder boomed. The storm raged outside. Hailstones were hitting the skylight in John’s bedroom. Juan cleared his throat and Maria and Aristotle both jumped.

“I’m sorry to startle you,” Juan said gently. I wanted to be sure you guys were all right. The storm is so violent. Destiny’s putting out tea and a snack. Oh, look at you, he said. You’re still dripping wet, and you’re shivering. Stand up,” he ordered. She was as white as a ghost. She complied. He took an unused towel and wrapped it around her. He got another one and dried her hair with it. She stood with her arms hanging limply at her sides. Then he rubbed her down vigorously through her clothing. Slowly color came back to her cheeks.

“Did John tell you about the first time I shot anyone? It was a horrible rainy night. We were getting out of our car which was parked across the street from a liquor store. This crazy guy came running out of the store waving a gun . As I opened the passenger side door and stepped out I saw him taking aim at John. On pure instinct I drew and fired right into the guy’s chest. His shot went wild, and missed John, thank God.

After I shot the guy I froze up. John was all business, of course. He’d been on homicide in West Palm Beach so he knew the drill better than I did. It was our first month together. The rain poured over me like a waterfall while John checked on the guy, and called the incident in. It felt like I stood there for hours with my gun in my hand. John always had a blanket with him

After he called the dispatcher he took a look at me. He pulled out his blanket and wrapped me in it. He rubbed me down like you did just now. “She started to cry again. I’m going to miss him. I loved him so much. Why did he have to die?”

She’d saved his life but and was grateful that he was thoughtful enough to rub her down when she was in shock from killing a man. Love was a rotten deal sometimes. He held her as she cried herself out. “John knows how you felt now, I’m sure of it. And I’m sure he’d want you to have the house. Maybe even Aristotle under the circumstances.”

“No,” she said. “Not Aristotle. He’s already in love with you and Destiny. That’s where he belongs. But maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if I kept the house for a while. I could, you know, look after it for you. Maybe even stay here.”

“I’ll make arrangements for you to have it,” he said firmly. “I’ll pay off the mortgage and transfer the deed.”

“Oh no.”

“I’ll make it a life estate if that would make you more comfortable.”

“Well.... I don’t know. Let me think about it.”

The storm was over and the sun was peaking out over the clouds. Light streamed into the room from the windows and the skylight. Juan saw Maria through new eyes. She looked beautiful to him. He had a sudden glimpse of a future where Maria and a different John made this house their home. He cleared his throat uncomfortable. “Maybe we should go have tea. Destiny’s probably wondering about us.”

They heard an old Beatles tune coming from the CD player. Destiny was singing along.I’m fixing a whole where the rain gets in and stops my mind from wandering, where it will....

Destiny had put out a coffee cake and made a pot of tea after Juan had gone upstairs. Then had started poking around the living room. She had figured out the stereo system and put on an anthology to sing to as she explored. John’s taste in books had been varied. She was sure that Juan would want the collection. She spotted a photo album and pullet it off the shelf.

There were a number of pictures of a youngish, petite blond. “Lizzy, Paris, summer, 1980,” was handwritten on one of the photos. That was the summer of the amusement park incident Destiny realized. There were other photos of an older woman. Destiny remembered Maria mentioning a relationship that had gone sour before he moved to DC. She wondered about the woman. She saw pictures of his comrades in West Palm Beach and on the DC Youth Division force. There were a couple of good ones of him and Maria. He looked happy. She’d have to show these to Maria.

“Look at these,” Destiny said as John and Maria joined her in the living room. She showed Maria the photos.

“Those were taken just a couple of months ago,” Maria said sadly.

“You two look as if you were having fun.”

“He was a great partner. I wish he had confided in me about his investigation. I just don’t understand what happened,” she said angrily. “What was he doing on the fifth floor of the Courthouse with that nut case. No one will tell me anything. They act as if nothing unusual happened. It was bloody unusual. Why did he rush the guy and go over the rail with after he shot the guy. He wasn’t a rookie. He could handle himself. He shot the guy five times for Christ’s sake. He didn’t have to rush him. Now he’s dead and there were supposedly no witnesses. It stinks of a cover up and I’m going to get to the bottom of it.

She finished her cup of tea in one gulp. She pushed aside her coffee cake. “Maybe something in his office will shed some light on it.” Are you coming” she asked Juan.

“You said John left a couple of letters,” Destiny reminded Maria.

“Oh. That’s right. I’ll go get them.”

She went into the office and was back in a minute with two envelopes. She gave one to Destiny and the other to Juan. She tried not to look too nosy as they opened their letters.

Dear Juan (Juan’s letter read),

I don’t know if I will be with you while you read this. I hope so. Things will go smoother if our personalities are integrated but I’m not sure if that’s how this will work. So I am writing as if this were my last will and testament. My last dream when I was in the hospital after Destiny was abducted gave me glimpses of many possible futures. The actions I am taking today are aimed at giving us (you and or me), and Destiny the best hope for a future together. I see no choice but to be there to help Destiny and take the demon down. It means my dream line ends with my flight over the railing at the DC Courthouse.

If I do not join you, please cherish Destiny. Help her guide you with her vision as you guide her with yours. At all costs, do not let Esteban take power in San Angeles. That would be the end of us and of the Destiny we know and love. She would not survive long in Esteban’s clutches.

Tell Maria that I dreamed of her the night I died. I want you to pay off the mortgage and give her the house. She loves it here and it will comfort her. Tell her it was one of my last wishes that the house go to her. Then she won’t have any choice but to accept.

I hope to be with you and Destiny soon.

John

To Destiny, John wrote,

Destiny, my love,

I am sure that after this afternoon I will be with Juan, just as the island Destiny is with you. I am not sure whether Juan and I will be a different, unified, entity, or I will be a subconscious element of his psyche or if some other alternative exists. I wish we could have made love just once before this transformation. Sometime when you and Juan are together, please call out my name. I will hear you wherever I am.

In my last dream I was given glimpses of many possible futures. The step I am taking is my best effort to shift the balance in our favor. After today Esteban, Stephen and the demon will be integrated and very strong. But we will have only one entity to contend with and that is critical to our success. That is why I am taking this step.

Please do not lose your sense of purpose. I do not see any easy road for us. But I do see a bright future if we endure. I will be with both of you whether or not I am a conscious part of Juan.

Dear one, do not let Esteban subvert you at any cost. He is beyond redemption. He will bring you only grief and despair. All will be lost if he becomes the leader of San Angeles island and you become his queen.

I leave you with a verse. Make a song of it and sing it to me. I will listen for it in the dark.

Sleep well my love, behold the creator This love of ours is what dreams are made of Dream on my love, this night will pass; but not our love. It will out last all time bestowed upon us by the one of whom we dream and by whom dreams of love are made of.

Love always,

John

Destiny was crying by the time she finished her letter. She knew Maria was curious about the contents of the letter but simply said. John was playing cupid for Juan and me. She put the letter back into its envelope and stuck it into the secret compartment in her purse.

Juan gave Maria John’s message, saying, “I was right. John wanted you to have the house, free and clear. It was his last wish. He said he dreamed about you the night before he died. I think he loved you better than he knew.”

Destiny looked at Maria. She felt a stab of jealousy, and then felt like an idiot. Her emotions were a confused mess, Destiny realized.

“I’m going to take Aristotle for a walk.” She said. She called to Aristotle who came running down the stairs at the word walk. She clipped the leash on the puppy’s collar and left with him by the front door. She let Aristotle set the pace for the first half mile. He was a good, strong runner, well trained to the leash and she was panting when she reined him in to a trot.

She knew the way to Sligo Creek Park and slid into auto drive while she mulled over John’s letter. By the time she got to the park she was in the fugue state athletes sometimes achieve.

John had been deliberately opaque about the possible futures he had seen. I wonder why? Juan had said nothing about John’s last dream. She was sure he would have said something if he had remembered it.

So what where the futures John had seen? She was angry at him for leaving her like he had. But he had thought he had no option. He had died saving her from the demon. And in taking out Stephen and the demon he had set them on a course she was unfamiliar with.

She could see snippets of possibilities from fragmented dreams. She could see part a bleak and boring future where she stayed in DC leaving Juan to cope with Esteban on the island. It ended quickly and badly for her and for Juan. She saw a horrible future with her at Esteban’s side raising Esteban’s snake-like offspring by the asp he had lived with for so long. She saw herself at Juan’s side in a number of scenarios, but those threads were still so tangled she couldn’t sort them out.

She was startled out of her reverie by an angry honk and the shriek of breaks. She had been so lost in thought that she hadn’t noticed when she turned away from the park, heading back to john’s house by way of the suburban thoroughfare.

Aristotle was panting thirstily and she was dripping with sweat.. She stopped in a grocery store to buy a couple of bottles of water and a dish for Aristotle. She poured a drink for Aristotle from one of the bottles. She poured half of the second bottle over her head to cool herself off and drank the rest. She let Aristotle set the pace for home.

Maria was asleep on the sofa in the living room when Destiny and Aristotle got back. Juan was outside dozing in the late afternoon sunshine. Destiny realized she had thoughtlessly been gone for an hour and a half. Juan awoke when she opened the back door.

“Poor Maria,” Destiny said. “I didn’t mean to be gone so long. She needs to go home and get some sleep. Maybe we should leave Aristotle here over night and take the metro home. Then Maria could go straight to her place. We could pick Aristotle up after the funeral tomorrow..” Maria overheard their conversation and joined them outside. “No,” she said, not yet ready to break the connection she had felt to Juan. I’ll be glad to give you guys a ride. Aristotle’s stuff is already in the car. Let me step into the bathroom and then we can leave. I had a good nap while you were gone. I’ll get some more sleep when I get home. I’ll be fine for my shift tonight.”

“I don’t know how cops do it.” Destiny said as Maria went in to use the rest room. “People think lawyers keep terrible hours but they never even think about what the average police officer has to go through. A full shift. Paperwork. Then hours wasted waiting in Court. They get paid overtime but when do they ever get time to spend it. Its no wonder they have domestic problems and burn out quickly.”

Juan and Destiny waited for Maria outside, watching the clouds gathering in the west. Maria came out of that house. They rolled the windows down to let in some air before getting into Maria’s car.

Apparently Aristotle loved riding in cars. He jumped happily into the back with Destiny. Juan sat with Maria up front. As they drove away Destiny hoped Aristotle wouldn’t pine for John’s house too much. She opened the window half way for him. He was in doggy heaven with his head out the window and his ears flapping in the wind.

They cut across town and arrived at Destiny’s house a few minutes after six. Maria decided not to come in, but she stepped out of the car to hug Aristotle.. “Be good fellow. Don’t trash Destiny’s apartment. I’ll see you soon,” she said as she squatted down to say good-bye. She help Aristotle’s leash while Destiny and Juan unloaded Aristotle’s belongings and took them upstairs. There was a huge dog carrier and a padded doggy bed that looked like it had never been used. He had a whole box full of toys, an extra leash and collar. He came with a case of canned dog food and a twenty pound bag of crunchies. There was also a file containing his medical records and his rabies certificate. Destiny found a spot for Aristotle’s bed in the alcove. She decided to put his food there for the time being. Once things were arranged she came back outside where Juan and Maria were chatting like old friends. “It’s ready,” she announced.

“Well...,” Maria said, “I’d better get going. I’ll se you at 11:00 at Saint John’s. You know where it is, don’t you Destiny” she asked as she got into her car.

“Yeah.”

“See you tomorrow.” She drove off and Destiny went inside. Juan and Aristotle followed her in.

Destiny locked the door as Juan lead Aristotle upstairs and into the alcove. He showed Aristotle his bed and his food and then unclipped the leash. Aristotle acknowledged his belongings, sniffed out the alcove suspiciously and sat down at Juan’s feet. Destiny joined them in the alcove.

“Come on boy,” Juan said. “Let’s explore a little.” Juan and Destiny walked around the apartment showing Aristotle the various rooms. When they got to the kitchen Aristotle bounded over to Top Cats food and devoured it. “Top Cat’s going to love you for that,” Destiny said with a laugh.

Then Aristotle discovered Top Cat’s litter box. “Oh no you don’t.” She grabbed Aristotle by the collar. “Juan take that out to the deck. I don’t want him eating fudge for desert.” Juan looked disgusted and took away the box.

“What do we do now?” Juan asked.

“Let’s let Top Cat out and put Aristotle in my bed room for a nap. He should be exhausted. We had a really long run. Hold his collar while I get Top Cat.”

She went into the bedroom and picked up her sleeping cat. He acknowledged her with a mrowrr. She carried him out of the bedroom. He saw Aristotle and panicked. His fur rose, he his ears went back, and he climbed onto Destiny’s shoulder with a low growl and a hiss. “Ouch,” Destiny cried as Top Cat dug is claws into her back. But she held on to him. “Get Aristotle into the bedroom,” she commanded Juan.

Aristotle was unperturbed by Top Cat’s distress. He let Juan usher him into the bedroom. Juan closed the door behind them and sat down on the bed. “Come on up,” he said to the dog, patting the bed. Aristotle jumped up and lay down. He put his big head on Juan’s lap closed his eyes and fell asleep. Juan stayed with him for a few minute and then went to see how Destiny and Top Cat were doing. “Aristotle’s asleep on your bed,” he informed Destiny.

Destiny had already replaced Top Cat’s food using another piece of good china. Top Cat sniffed at it and turned away. He hunkered down and slunk off to sniff out the enemy. He growled at the door of Destiny’s bedroom. Then he marched into the alcove. Juan and Destiny followed him. Top Cat took a delicate bite of Aristotle’s wet food. This was more like it he seemed to be thinking. He ate a surprising large amount of Aristotle’s dinner. “Turn about is fair play,” Juan quipped.

Top Cat surprised both Destiny and Juan by climbing into Aristotle’s bed and snuggling in. He was purring loudly as he fell asleep.

“If that doesn’t beat all,” Destiny looking at Juan in astonishment.”

“Maybe they knew each other in a former life,” Juan joked, halfway seriously.

“I guess so,” Destiny said. “This is going to be a lot easier than I thought.” She walked over and opened the door to her bedroom a crack. Let’s let nature take its course.”

“I hate to say this,” Juan said. “But I’m starved.” Is there anything to eat?”

“Not unless you want a repeat of breakfast. I could whip up a big omelet again.”

“I love you omelets, but I could go for something more substantial.”

“We’ll have to order take out then. Do you like Chinese?” Destiny asked.

“Not really.”

Destiny walked into the kitchen and came out with a menu from a local pizza carry out. “I’m kind of sick of pizza. But this place has subs and entries. Pick something out for us. I’m not that hungry. What ever you order will be okay with me.”

“All right, I’ll order a white pizza with pineapples and anchovies?” Juan suggested in a teasing manner.

“Okay,” she said, not rising to the bate.

“Never mind. How about vegetarian lasagna and a Caesar salad?”

“That sounds good. I’ll call it in.”

1...56789...12