All Comments on 'Dressmaker'

by hoo_hoo_boo

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
So from laborer to dressmaker?

Seems unlikely, given a hod carriers hands are rough, dry and the muscles required to perform the job would have seemingly interfered with the co-ordination required to handle fabrics and a sewing machine. Past that fact, the writing was passable. Their affair seemed to be rushed and what really happened at the fashion show is debatable since your descriptions didn't make sense. And the ending seemed anti climatic and was less than fulfilling from this readers' point of view. Overall I just couldn't feel "engaged" with the characters.

MSTarotMSTarotover 10 years ago
How about a Mason's opinion

Well, with twenty years in trade I have to disagree. My hands are no rougher than any other mans. We spend half the year with our hands in gloves because of the cold and in the summer we sweat so much our hands stay wet at work and the callouses wear away. Handling bricks is like running an emery board across your hands all day.

I both draw and paint. Nimbleness of fingers is not an issue unless you have damaged your hands at work.Some do.

I have even helped my wife sew. So not so far fetched at all.

As far as the story went, it was good in places and okay in others. Maybe a bit less narrative and more dialog would have been good. That would have helped with making the characters more realistic. Which allows the reader to place themselves in the story.

I saw some sentences that were almost word for word repeated just a paragraph or so later. That should have been noticed in the proof read and maybe changed.

It's a solid 4 stars for creativity.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I really liked this

A little different, nice build up. 5 stars. Thanks

patientleepatientleeover 10 years ago
Reminded me of Disney/Pixar's Planes Movie

The theme of that movie was "do more than you were built for," and I think that message applies here too. We were all built to do something, but what's to say that we can't do something else? Like writing erotica, for example.

I wouldn't have enjoyed a little more dialogue to break up the narration, but I liked the idea of a big, tough man making delicate lingerie.

A_Little_ShowA_Little_Showover 10 years ago
Good Read

I enjoyed this one. It was the right length too. I had trouble believing in the characters, but when it got hot, I forgot to be bothered about that. :)

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 10 years ago
Very well written

This tale had it all. This is what a five star story should look like!

The novelty of the concept -- a laborer becoming a virtuoso dressmaker -- provided the vehicle to carry it along lightly, never becoming bogged down with the necessary descriptions.

You made the whole story a study of contrasts. The hero's occupation, versus the one he was studying for. The increasing level of intimacy with the feelings it left him with, versus the dispassionate examination of the teacher's body and how the clothes fit her and moved with her. The technical details of clothing design and execution, versus the teacher's body as it was examined with calloused fingers. But the best of all was the patient, almost clinical undressing of the the teacher and examination of her body for pressure points, versus the climactic, sensual undressing and fondling that led to her orgasm.

Your subtle explanation of the teacher's heightening arousal as their clothes were undone and discarded was elegant and intriguing, leading to the abandonment of subtlety as the shirt buttons go flying.

Unlike the familiar advice to let the characters tell the story, you did the whole thing without dialogue, which is nearly impossible.

Finally, there's this trick you have of building the final scene in the reader's imagination, and then dropping it into his lap, to view the climax as he has it constructed in his mind.

This story reminds me of elements of 'Rain' by Somerset Maugham and 'The Monkey's Paw' by W. W. Jacobs. That's pretty fast company for an amateur writer. I bow before this exhibition of your imagination, audacity, and storytelling skill!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Loved it

This story was fantastic. You have multiple submissions and this is by far the best. I wouldn't have thought the stories were even written by the same author. This is a five star story, keep writing like this they don't all have to be wham bam thank you mam.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Very nicely done.

Both interesting and entertaining. My only complaint and a minor one, is that I would have liked a more complete ending. Thanks for the good read.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous