Driving Wheels

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I could see Emily was getting upset as she told them everything. They must have asked where she was and where she was going. When she looked at me, smiling slightly, as she said she was with a truck driver and heading to Bourke, they must have told her to visit the nearest cop shop there to at least give a statement.

"Is that okay, Mark?"

"Whatever helps you, Emily. It's fine."

She told whoever she was speaking to that we'd be in Bourke the next day. After a quick lunch, and a wander around just to work out any soreness from being sat down, we stepped back into the truck and got back on the road. I could probably have made Bourke in a day if I really wanted to push it, but those days were past. I'd rather take two days, be comfortable, safe and not too tired each day.

Making it to Dubbo at a reasonable time in the evening, I did pull into a motel with adjoining restaurant. What amused Emily was the fact that, as soon as I'd stretched out, I started doing my usual exercises. Chuckling to herself once I was in a vest and shorts, changing into a pair of running shoes, I suggested she go take a seat in the restaurant, handing her my debit card, as I was going to go for a run before going through my usual drill.

Returning around an hour later, I found her sitting by herself in the restaurant, playing on what was our phone for the time being. She joined me as we wandered into the motel reception. Asking for a twin room again, I was told there were none, so asked for two rooms.

"No!" Emily exclaimed, "I don't want to be alone."

"But there are only doubles, Emily."

"We'll put pillows between us."

"Or you take a room and I'll sleep in the truck."

"No, Mark," she stated in a tone that suggested I shouldn't disagree. It made me smile to myself, "I'm still scared, okay?"

When her bottom lip started to tremble, I wrapped my arm around her shoulders. "Okay. I'm sorry. I didn't realise you still worried so much."

"I know I shouldn't, but he was so horrible. Years of threats and intimidation, Mark. I feel like he's still watching me."

Wrapping my other arm around her, I offered my card to the receptionist as I cuddled Emily against me, feeling her breasts press into me but she did feel rather slim. I was left thinking she needed a few good meals as I wondered if she was a little underweight.

"Do you have clothes washing facilities?" I asked the receptionist.

I was led to a washer room, thankfully also with a dryer. I needed to wash some things as well, so put her dirty clothes with mine in the washing machine. Hour to wash, then an hour or so in the dryer. Enough time to enjoy a meal, then relax before everything was ready. She mentioned how I was buying all her meals, waving away her concerns, again stating I didn't spend all that much money compared to how much I made by driving nearly every day.

"Don't you have any other interests?"

Finishing what was in my mouth, I shrugged a little helplessly. "I had hobbies while I was married, but even then, I didn't really find the time for them. After the divorce, I just threw myself into the job. Had nothing to go home to, and there's always a load of goods that needs to be driven somewhere, so I just do that nearly every day. Once I hit my limit, I'll take a break wherever I happen to me."

"Don't you get lonely?"

"Sometimes, but when I'm on the road, highway out in front of me, sky above, tunes on the stereo, I really never had a problem being alone with my thoughts." Pausing, I finally nodded, "But yeah, it can get a little lonely at times."

"I've been lonely a long time," she said softly.

"How long do you want to be my sidekick?"

She giggled at the term. It was a delightful sound. "I'm not sure."

"Can I ask a personal question?"

"Of course."

"How old are you?"

"Ah, I guess that's a reasonable question since you told me how old you are. I'm probably older than you think. The stress I've been under just hasn't shown on my face or body yet. I'm thirty-two."

"Would have picked you for late twenties."

"I'll definitely take that as a complement."

"How long were you with him for?"

"Too long. But, more accurately, since I left high school. He only turned nasty in the last few years. By then, he had me completely isolated and, well, you'll hear about it some more tomorrow when we go to the police station to give my statement."

I started to dread what exactly I'd hear but remembering that she'd mentioned an ex-boyfriend and his friends, I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant. We relaxed until our clothing would be dry, watching as she neatly folded all her things, packing her backpack neatly before she disappeared for a shower. After she was done, I followed her in, and I could smell the bodywash or shampoo she'd used lingering. It was nice, as she'd picked up a few more things when we'd been shopping.

Getting into bed was the awkward bit, so I had her under all the sheets and quilt, while I just lay under the quilt. Turning the light off, I made sure we were back-to-back, the bed not particularly large, and it was a weird feeling sharing a bed with someone. I did occasionally meet up with a woman if I stopped in a town, using dating apps to hook up for a night of fun, but I rarely met the same woman more than once.

Waking the next morning, I was on my back, turning my head enough to see her head against my shoulder, feeling her hand resting on my shoulder. It was rather nice, but before she woke up, I made sure I slid out of bed, taking a seat on the lone lounge, playing with my phone until she woke up.

After breakfast, we were back on the road, making it to Bourke in good time. The load I had to take to Grafton was prepared to go, explaining to the transport manager the situation. He was happy for me to pick it up in a couple of hours. Driving us to Bourke Police Station, they knew Emily would be coming and were ready for her statement. Asking who I was, Emily immediately took my hand and called me her 'saviour'.

Yes, I blushed very brightly at hearing that.

I sat with her as she gave an incredibly powerful but disturbing statement, needing to stop more than once to wipe her eyes or to cry. A couple of times, she simply had to stop talking as she needed a hug, noticing the looks of approval from the two coppers writing everything down. When they asked for evidence, she showed them the pictures that had been emailed. I hadn't seen them but even coppers couldn't hide their disgust.

"Will you be prepared to testify in court should he and his associates be charged?"

Emily looked at me. She didn't even need to ask, making do with nodding my head to let her know she still had my support. "I guess I'll have a way of getting to Melbourne."

"Can we use this email address to keep in contact?"

"Sure. Mark, can I just use your number?"

"Well, if you're going to stay with me, that'll be the best thing."

The police stated they'd start making their enquiries, and if they needed anything else, they'd get in touch with her. But I had a feeling some of the photos were particularly unpleasant, but no doubt matched what she told them in her statement. Little wonder she was terrified of her ex-boyfriend and his friends.

Walking out of the station, it was growing dark, realising we'd been in there longer than I realised. Getting into touch with the transport manager again, I let him know I'd collect the trailer first thing in the morning and start the journey back east. Accommodation was around, as were a couple of pubs, so we enjoyed a filling meal at the local bowling club. I'd normally visit the RSL, as nearly most cities and towns had one, but Bourke's had recently had a fire.

Returning to the same motel we'd stayed in the night before; we walked straight to our room. Lying back on the bed watching television, Emily was messing around with her backpack before she finally sighed and joined me. Cuddling into me, I didn't think when wrapping an arm around her.

"Thank you for being there today," she whispered.

"No worries."

"Sorry you had to hear all that. But I'm glad I got it off my chest. Not sure what will happen, but at least I've now told someone."

"If anything happens, I'll do what I can to help."

Sighing, she cuddled into me more. Taking her hand and gently squeezing it, she glanced up and smiled. "I haven't worked in over five years or so. God, I have no idea what to do. I mean, I like being with you at the moment, Mark. I'm seeing so much of the country I never would have otherwise. And you're good company."

"Glad I am."

"And you're a gentleman. You haven't expected anything from me."

"You're good company too, Emily. As I said, I spend nearly the entire time driving by myself. I'll pick up hitchhikers and travellers if I find them, but most people avoid doing that nowadays. Too many horror stories."

Turning off the light, Emily didn't move a muscle. Kissing her forehead, she snuggled closer and whispered goodnight. She drifted off rather quickly. I lay back in darkness for a little longer as I was finding myself caring for her a great deal. Having heard everything she'd suffered, there was that part of me as a man, but also just as a decent human being, that wanted to wrap my arms around her and keep her safe.

Collecting the trailer after a quick breakfast the next morning, Emily was asking about the route as soon as we were out of Bourke. "Well, it's a good twelve hour minimum by truck from here, as although it's only eight hundred k's, the roads are a little ropey in places, so we'll definitely stop on the way. First major settlement will be Walgett, then I have a choice of going north-east or south-east. I'm thinking we'll stop at Moree, as that's roughly halfway. After Moree, it's Inverell, then Glen Innes before we hit Grafton. You'll notice the countryside turns from brown to green the closer we get to the coast."

Avoiding the elephant in the room, her last decade or so, we spoke about our lives growing up. She'd finished school and had been intending to go to university before meeting her ex-partner. She'd loved growing up in Perth, her parents having been born to English ex-pats. They'd decided on returning to the United Kingdom once she'd graduated high school and offered her the chance to return with them.

"Kind of regret not going now, but I was young and in love, so I stayed here as they went 'home'."

I told her about growing up in country town New South Wales. My father had worked at Goulburn Gaol (UK spelling not how the Yanks spell things) / Correctional Facility as a corrections officer. Mum had worked as a secretary. My sister and I had grown up in the usual household. Parents were usually happy with each other. I did okay at school, my sister was the brains of their children. She was happily married and had moved to Brisbane over a decade ago. Dad had retired ten years earlier than normal, and they now happily lived near Coffs Harbour.

"I guess we're both a little lonely?" she wondered.

"I try not to think about it too often. I know my wife cheated, for example, but she was lonely too. I was gone all the time. But we married young, and I guess neither of us really understood the commitment it would take."

"Did she ever offer to do this, keep you company on the road?"

"Well, no, not really. But she also worked for a living."

"Did she need to work?"

"I guess not. I've always made more than enough to support a family. Not living in Sydney helps. Only have to pay utilities for the house. But I could imagine it would be boring for a passenger, particularly if I'm just running up and down the Hume constantly."

"But if you're with the person you love, surely that would make it better..."

"Well, it's maybe something to think about in the future."

We stopped in Moree, this time finding a motel with a twin room. I had a feeling she was a little disappointed being stuck in a bed of her own that evening, but she didn't actually say anything. We continued to chat away the next day on the way to Grafton. After dumping the trailer, I told her I'd show her something beautiful.

Parking up the truck, I took her hand and led her down a road lined with jacaranda trees that were currently in full bloom. I heard her gasp as her hand gripped mine even tighter, handing her my phone as I could just tell that she wanted to take photos. Watching her face light up had me smiling as she was almost as giddy as a schoolgirl.

"We came at the right time of year," I explained, "Better now than in winter, for example."

She hugged me tightly once we reached the end of the street. "Thank you, Mark. He never did anything like this for me."

"You're welcome. Hoped it would raise a smile, at least."

"Where are we going tomorrow?" she asked as we walked towards one of the main roads, figuring we'd find a pub or restaurant for dinner.

"I'll give a couple of people a call and see if I get a load going back south to Sydney."

Booking a place to stay via an app on my phone, I drove the truck there to park up. Again, we could only get a double room, which I paid for without issue. Emily told me she wanted to change before we went out for dinner. She disappeared into the bathroom for a shower, following her in once she was done. I walked out of the bathroom, shirtless but wearing a pair of jeans, to find her standing looking rather adorable and awkward in a light-coloured sundress.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"You look gorgeous, Emily."

"He never liked me wearing skirts or dresses. He'd call me a slut if I showed any skin."

"You're not a slut, Emily. You're a gorgeous young woman."

She smiled at me as I found a decent shirt to wear. Putting some shoes, I took her hand as I led her out to the main road, surprised when she hooked her arm around mine and cuddled into my side. I had to slow my stride as she was quite a bit shorter than I was.

Dinner was fantastic, and after I bought us a beer each, I sent a message to Wayne, letting him know I'd be taking a day in Grafton. He immediately called me, letting me know there was a depot on the outskirts that always had loads ready to run south. He'd already sent them my details and all I needed to do was call the next day.

"Want to spend a day here?" I asked.

"I'd love to. But what would we do?"

"Wander about and just spend a day relaxing."

I didn't drink too often, and when she mentioned that her ex-boyfriend and his friends drank every single day, I made sure I only had a couple, and she enjoyed a couple of glasses as wine. We ended up sitting side by side, Emily holding my hand, resting her head against my shoulder. Heading out into the early spring-time evening air, we strolled slowly back to the hotel.

Entering our room, I shut and locked the door as normal, turning to see Emily standing in the middle of the room. Throwing my keys, wallet and phone on the table between our beds, she walked towards me. I knew what she wanted, leaning down to meet her lips, breathing through our noses as I pulled her body into mine.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked when we broke apart.

"It's just a kiss to thank you for everything, Mark," she replied, "You don't really know me..."

"Well, that's a lie. I think I know you rather well after all our conversations. The only concern I have is that you've only just escaped a shit relationship, and to be honest, with my life as it is..."

"I already love travelling with you, Mark."

"Well, you're welcome to stay with me as long as you want as I enjoy your company."

She disappeared to the bedroom to change as I took off everything but my underwear, putting on a thin t-shirt as always. Emily walked out of the bathroom wearing a crop top, immediately noticing the stud in her navel, and a small pair of pink cotton panties. She'd picked up a couple of packs of cheap underwear. A shy smile greeted me as she lifted the blankets to join me in bed, no hesitation in shuffling across to cuddle into me. Turning off the light, she cuddled me tighter.

"This isn't a rebound thing," she whispered, "I've wanted to escape him for so long. I spent a week just hoping he didn't find me. Then you bought me dinner and gave me a ride north. It was the first time I'd felt safe in so many years, and you've expected nothing from me in return except a little company and conversation."

"I saw a woman in need of help. I guess it's that caveman thing that's still in most men that I felt the need to help you."

"Well, I'm glad you still had that caveman thing."

I waited a few seconds before whispering, "I do love the panties."

The giggle that followed... Damn, I think I fell for her completely in that moment. "I'm glad my very simple panties are so arousing."

"You'll learn as we travel that I'm a simple man. No airs and graces about me."

Waking the next morning, we'd moved so she spooned back against me. She would have felt my usual morning wood, but when I tried to move myself away, she whispered that it was okay. She knew it was a natural thing. When she added that it felt nice, I pulled her tighter to my chest. Without needing to get up and drive, we allowed ourselves to cuddle in bed until both our stomachs were rumbling. The hotel offered a filling breakfast before we changed and left for the day. Neither of us had any real idea of what to do, walking around, mostly soaking in the scenery, the quiet nature of the north coaster city, the stunning flora on display and enjoying the company of each other.

Searching for one of the best restaurants in the city, I asked Emily if she was interested in dressing up and if she'd like to go out on a proper date. I wouldn't touch a drop, but I was sure we could eat a decent meal and perhaps find somewhere with music. Watching her face light up at the idea was my answer, walking back to our hotel late in the afternoon to get ready.

I had a pair of jeans I always kept spare for those times I did snag a night with a woman when travelling about. Also kept two or three dress shirts that didn't need ironing, and leather shoes that I rarely wore. Emily chose a blouse and skirt combination that showed off the curves she did have, though even she mentioned to being slimmer than she liked, but it all came back to her life with the ex-boyfriend.

Having lived on simple food since Wodonga and picking her up, we agreed to have something a little different. Even country towns and cities have your usual Chinese and Indian restaurants, but we found a little Thai restaurant that had some fantastic reviews. It wasn't a large place, quite intimate in many regards. The service was friendly, the food was fantastic, and Emily couldn't stop smiling.

"I haven't been on a date like this in years," she stated. I remembered her statement that she'd given to the cops. She'd effectively been a prisoner in her own home. "Thank you, Mark."

"No need to thank me. I have a beautiful young woman on my arm. I'm sure every man, and even some women, is looking at me feeling a little jealous."

That smile again before she took my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "I'm glad to have met you, Mark," she said softly.

Quite a few pubs were playing music. Found one playing country, and though it wasn't a genre either of us listened too much, it did mean we could get up and dance. When she moulded her body against mine, I couldn't help getting excited again. She felt it, wrapping her arms around the back of my neck to kiss me again. Kissing her back, my tongue slid into her mouth, and when she released a light moan, I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

"Been a while," I admitted quietly, "Been quite a while."

Knowing we still had an early start, we didn't stay too late dancing, and neither of us had anything to drink. Returning to our hotel room, neither of us bothered with a shower, as we'd have one in the morning, but Emily still disappeared into the bathroom to change. I received a treat as she walked out a couple of minutes later in a simple bra and panties, this time a matching light blue set.