Driving Wheels

Story Info
A tale of love that grows on the open road.
18.1k words
4.82
30.3k
111
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,344 Followers

A/N - Hello all! I'm guessing from those who have read quite a few of my stories has noticed one or two themes shared throughout many of them. Nearly all of them are set in my homeland of Australia, and in addition to that, I might also add references to culture or history.

A few stories also have a minor influence from songs I listened to while growing up, whether the lyrics are about places in Australia, the jobs that are the backbone of our nation, or about the events, whether minor or major, that resulted in songwriters putting together anthems that are still sung by people at karaoke today.

Don't take anything regarding the industry as fact, though I'm aware the legislation regarding the industry has significantly changed in the past twenty years. It's no longer run by cowboys, as they used to say. Thanks to technology, everything is now monitored and data is logged.

One other little note: This is the 100 th story I've uploaded to Literotica! Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read, vote, comment or sends feedback regarding any of my stories.

Usual caveats. All editing and reviewing done the author. Spelling is usually spot on. Definitely the occasional typo. Grammar can be ropey at times but it's been a long time since I sat in a classroom. All mistakes owned up to by the author. Please remember I'm an amateur.

Comments and feedback appreciated as always.

*****

It's the rhythm of the highway

As he rolls on down

And city lights as they fade from sight

Drives the man behind the driving wheels

And chasing southern lights

In the distant sky

And open plains with the mountains high

Drives the man behind the driving wheels

- 'Driving Wheels', Jimmy Barnes

*****

"Here's the paperwork, Mark. Remember, south-west of Melbourne."

"I know, boss. Straight down the Hume as always. Been doing this long enough now."

Wayne chuckled as always. "Just reminding you in case you get any funny ideas, or you get a case of amnesia along the way. Never know, could find yourself lost in those back streets, arriving at the depot with a half-empty trailer..."

"The hell am I going to do with half a trailer of this shit?"

"You'd be surprised what can go missing on a run, Mark."

"Yeah, yeah. Like I'm going to bother with that."

He told me to piss off as usual, good naturedly with both of us chuckling, as I'd been working with him for over a decade now. Walking to my big rig, I gazed over it and sighed with delight. I'd spent years ferrying goods between Sydney and Melbourne, and various other provincial towns and cities around the eastern states, along roads such as the Hume Highway, the early years before they'd turned it into a proper dual carriageway. Eight hundred kilometres without barely having to touch the brakes, driving along the motorways of Sydney from where I would collect my trailer, before joining the Hume, non-stop all the way until the New South Wales / Victorian border, and continuing to the outskirts of Melbourne.

In the past few years, though, I'd been taking on journeys going further afield. Sometimes after arriving in Melbourne, I'd drive across to Adelaide. More than once, I'd done Adelaide then all the over to Perth, even from there up to the likes of Broome. Hell of a journey. From Perth, it was usually back to Adelaide, sometimes up north towards Alice Springs. I hadn't gone as far north as Darwin just yet, but if they offered it to me, I'd go. Not like I've got anyone waiting at home for me.

Owning my own truck gave me some freedom, at least. I was employed by one organisation with the freedom to take other work on an ad-hoc basis. Owned my own house in Goulburn, but I rented that out most of the time. I was technically a 'live-in' landlord, but I rarely showed my face there unless I wanted to take a break from driving. But although there were now all sorts of rules and regulations around driving, mostly in regard to how many hours I could operate, I still drove most days of the week. Nothing better than me, my truck, the open road, endless blue sky, the radio playing rock tunes, the roar of the engine...

Approaching forty years old and having driven the highways of Australia for nearly twenty of them, I was now a known face in certain places, particularly the truck stops that are dotted along the main highways linking each capital city. I didn't always travel alone. For the first ten years, I had a faithful dog, Bluey, that kept me company until he got sick and I had to put him down. That broke my heart and I didn't want to find another one four-legged companion. I started to pick up the occasional hitchhiker or backpacker. At least it meant I could talk to people, as although I had the trusty CB radio, truck driving can be a rather isolating and lonely experience. Never carried anyone for longer than one trip, usually wanting to get from the truck stop to the next largest town.

I was also married for the first decade or so of my career, but the lengthy absences put a strain on the relationship, despite the fact we talked every morning and night. I never stumbled in on her with another man, but I eventually received word from neighbours that she was entertaining more than one male guest during my absences. On the next time I was home, I confronted her about it. She cried, stating she was lonely, that I was never there. She was right. It didn't make her cheating correct, but I could almost understand, as I was away from home more often than not. It would put the strain on any marriage.

The divorce was inevitable. I kept the house as it belonged to my parents and me. She moved out and lived with a girlfriend. We didn't keep in touch afterwards. We didn't have kids, and despite the amicable divorce, she'd still done the dirty on me. Apart from the occasional conversation, she'd never told me how she was really feeling. I wouldn't have chosen the job over my wife had she talked to me about it, though I wasn't sure what I'd do if I gave it up.

Goulburn was home to the New South Wales Police Force training centre. Maybe I could have done that?

Nah, could never be a copper. Most Australians get their backs up against any sort of authority. Guess it comes from our convict past. And to truck drivers, coppers are our worst enemy, in addition to inspection stations, and dickheads behind the wheel who can't drive their fucking car.

The Hume Highway now passed by so many towns I'd used to drive through, the sort that used to live and thrive on the traffic that once passed through. My hometown of Goulburn was one such town, where the old dual carriageway used to end before they extended it, and it used to be nearly all single carriageway to the border. Traffic could sometimes back up for kilometre after kilometre during the busy periods. Then there were towns like Yass, Gundagai, Tarcutta, Holbrook, and many others that the Hume now bypasses. The towns still survive, but many people driving Sydney to Melbourne would rather stop at the rest areas along the highway rather than peel off the highway and take in a provincial country town for an hour or so.

The dual carriageway continues through the joint city of Albury-Wodonga, Albury on the New South Wales side of the Murray River, Wodonga on the Victorian side. It was also the first time I'd see traffic lights for nearly five hundred kilometres. There were a couple of truck stops I would usually take a rest before finishing the journey onto Melbourne or wherever I'd be stopping.

It had been a long journey having left Sydney early morning. Thankfully, it was summer, so by the time I pulled up to one of my regular places south of Wodonga, the sun was still shining but I'd be parking up for the evening, completing the journey the next day. I'd put in enough hours, the days of doing twelve, fourteen or sixteen hour runs not behind me, but with everything monitored nowadays, it was better safe than sorry. Last thing I wanted to do was fall asleep behind the wheel and kill a family.

Heading into the restaurant, I was immediately recognised by a couple of girls behind the counter. They saw me at least a couple of times a week if I was running back and forth along the Hume. First thing I needed was a large coffee before even thinking about eating. Didn't recognise any other regular drivers hanging about, though they could still arrive. Many were like me, operating their own vehicles and working for any organisation offering consistent work.

After ordering and eating a slap-up meal, I wandered back to my truck and grabbed my work-out gear. I'd start out with a run before there was some callisthenics, then I'd do some weights. Being the age I was, I wanted to keep myself at least moderately fit and healthy. Being sat on my arse all day behind the wheel was one way to turning into a fat slob. Unlike many of my contemporaries, I avoided fast food and tried to eat as healthy as I could. Not always easy but I did my best.

One thing I did enjoy was a beer but, driving the next day, I didn't even allow myself one. Last thing any trucker wants is to lose his licence due to drink driving. I returned to the restaurant and ordered another coffee, sipping at it while staring out the window, or playing with my smartphone, swapping messages with other truckers around the state or the country.

My truck came with a sleeping compartment, but I didn't always use it when on the road. I loved a comfortable bed as much as the next man. The rest stop I was at had no such motel around, and I wasn't going to drive back to Albury-Wodonga to find one. It was night by the time I climbed back into my cab. I kept the place as spotless as I could, and I kept the small compartment neat and tidy. A small screen was on one side making watching television possible, and a little fridge where I kept drinks and snacks.

Waking early in the morning, truck stops had showering facilities, so after a quick breakfast, I headed off with my towel and showering kit to scrub off the usual sweat and grime. Dressing comfortably as always, I was on the road nice and early, hoping to make it to Melbourne by midday. On the outskirts, I was contacted by Wayne, letting me know a trailer was already prepped and ready for me to take back to Sydney.

Perfect.

The drive south to Melbourne is always comfortable, aware I could get to my destination, drop off one trailer, pick up the next, then return to the border within the day. Leaving Wodonga early as always, the trailer swap was simple. A quick check of the trailer, making sure it was still sealed so they knew nothing was stolen. Check of some paperwork, handed more paperwork for the new load, attach that to my truck, the usual pre-departure safety checks, back in the seat and off I go. Fill up just as I'm leaving Melbourne.

Making it back to Wodonga as the sun was setting, it was one of those sunsets that take the breath way, the sky a myriad of different colours. Yellow, orange, red, blue, black, even purple and pink. The sort of sunset where I'd love to have a camera and take a long exposure shot. Moments like that, I'd wish to have a travel companion, someone to share such a beautiful moment with. Alas, I sang along to the song on the radio and took joy in such a simple thing.

Pulling into the same rest stop, the girls behind the counter were pleased to see me. I'd flirt with the younger girls, the older women now used to me, telling me to behave myself, warning the younger girls I was a nuisance but a good-natured troublemaker. I always earned looks from some of my fellow truckers when I ordered a healthier option. With the rise of youngsters becoming vegetarian or vegan, even blue-collar restaurants servicing the working man (and woman) had started to alter their menus and offered a broader range. While I wanted some meat on my plate more often than not, I generally wanted healthier options most nights of the week, only splurging once or twice when I wanted to spoil myself.

Sitting back enjoying an end of meal coffee, one of the cute girls keeping an eye on me the entire time, eager to fill my cup again, a woman strolled into the restaurant. My eyes were immediately on her as I was left thinking she was a hitchhiker. A lone backpack on her back, but she looked scruffy, like she'd been on the road a few days. Hair was a mess. Her clothes didn't look particularly clean. But I knew something was up as she glanced about nervously.

I didn't hear what she was trying to order, but she was soon digging into her pockets, trying to pay for something. I heard Pat telling her she didn't have enough for a meal. The woman was soon sobbing, almost begging for something. Between the sobs and tears, I knew Pat had a good heart and would like to help, but she also ran a business.

Getting out of my seat, I walked over and stood nearby. "What's she after, Pat?"

The woman looked at me, seeing the fear in her eyes, her body shrinking away. "She doesn't have enough for much, Mark."

Taking out my wallet, I glanced at the woman. "If you're on the road and hungry, I'll buy your dinner. That okay?"

"What do you want in return?" She looked down at the couple of small denomination notes and coins in her hands, "I don't have much."

"Nothing. Just my good deed for the day. Order whatever you want."

She ordered a cheeseburger with chips and a side salad. I made sure she added a dessert, as she looked in need of a good meal. "Can I have a large drink with that?" she asked softly.

"Of course."

Paying for the meal, Pat smiled and thanked me, the young lady thanking me as well. I simply smiled, dipped the brim of my cap in their direction, and returned to my chair to finish my coffee. Pat must have told all the girls behind the counter and in the kitchen what happened, as one of the young girls placed a plate of cheesecake in front of me a couple of minutes later.

"Pat says thank you for helping that young woman out."

"It was the right thing to do. Seen more than one hitchhiker on the road over the years without two cents to rub together."

The young woman was on the other side of the restaurant, hunched over her tray, stuffing her face. I was left thinking she hadn't eaten all day. Finishing my cheesecake and coffee, I waved goodbye to the girls, reckoning I'd see them again within a week or so, depending on my next job. No intention of returning to Goulburn for at least another week or two. More days out on the road, the more money I made, the more I saved so I can retire early. To be honest, I loved driving and wondered what I'd do if I did pack it in.

Waking the next morning, I had my usual shower and got ready to depart when the same young woman approached me as I gave my truck a quick wipe down. That left me wondering where she'd slept during the night as there was nowhere to actually sleep.

"Excuse me," she asked.

Stepping down onto the ground, I turned to look at her. She'd cleaned her face and seemed to have brushed her hair, at least. Brunette hair that was down to her shoulders. Her blue eyes were quite lovely, but I could read them. She was afraid. Not of me, but I'd seen more than one woman on the road escaping a situation not always of her own making. Her jacket covered the rest of her, but I didn't look down too much.

"Help you?"

"Which way are you heading?"

"North towards Sydney."

"Um..." She fidgeted, rubbing her hands along her upper arms. Not through being cold. She wasn't just scared, she was terrified, her eyes darting about everywhere.

"You hitchhiking? How'd you get here?"

"Um... I got a lift from someone. Dropped me here yesterday afternoon."

"Where are you from?"

"Geelong. I just need to get away, far as I can."

"Well, I can take you to Sydney. Got any friends or family there?"

She shook her head and choked back a sob. Part of me wanted to comfort her, but I reckoned that would just be the wrong thing to do. "Okay, I can take you but what will you do there?"

"I don't know. I just need to get away."

"Where'd you sleep last night?" Gesturing vaguely to the nearby bushland, that answered my question. "Okay, have you got some clean clothes in that backpack of yours. Have a quick wash before we go, if you'd like."

"You won't leave without me?"

"No, I'll go get us a few things from the shop. I'll be making one stop between here and Sydney."

"Okay," she said softly, taking a deep breath, "Please don't leave without me."

"I promise I won't. My truck will be here when you get out. You have a towel?" Shaking her head, I stepped back up into my rig. I always kept spares, handing it to her and noticing a slight grin form. "You've got fifteen minutes."

"I'll be quick as I can."

As she wandered off to the shower room, thankful there were no other truckers around to bother her, I walked over to the restaurant. Pat was already there, hard at work, smiling at me as I approached. "Morning Pat."

"Morning Mark."

"That woman last night. Does anyone know who she is or where she slept last night?"

"No idea. She finished her meal then left as soon as she was finished." Pat walked around the counter and stepped closer towards me. "She's running from something, Mark. Woman as pretty as that, but in the state she was in..."

"Boyfriend or husband?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. Have you seen her this morning?"

Gesturing with my head, I replied, "Yeah, she's in the shower now. Asked me to drive her up to Sydney. Thing is, no friends or family there. No idea what she's going to do with no money and nowhere to go."

"Might have to be a good Samaritan again, Mark."

Taking off my cap, I scratched my head. "Well, yeah, I guess. But I have no idea what to suggest."

"Maybe one of those woman's shelters can help her?"

We talked about my options for another couple of minutes before I thanked her again. Purchasing a few essentials from the shop, including a couple of feminine hygiene products, that earned me a curious glance from the shop assistant, I walked back to my truck to find the woman waiting for me, looking a little refreshed and thankfully in some clean clothes.

Handing her the small bag of thing, she opened it and I think we blushed at the same time. "I had no problem buying them for my ex-wife and I wasn't sure if you would have anything."

"Thank you. That's very kind."

Offering my hand, I introduced myself. "I'm Mark, by the way. And you?"

She shook my hand, surprised at how soft her hand was. "I'm Emily. Thank you for helping, Mark."

"No worries. Ever been in a truck before?"

"No, I was in a car yesterday."

"Let me help you with your things and up into the cab."

Placing her backpack in my little sleeper compartment first, I then helped her up into the truck. She thanked me again as I walked around to my own seat. Making sure she was buckled up and comfortable, I had us back on the Hume Highway heading north within a few minutes. I kept the stereo quiet as I kept my eyes on the road but occasionally glanced her way. She sat hunched up, a tiny little thing compared to my broad frame, staring out the window as the countryside passed us by.

"You were living in Geelong?"

"Yeah. With, um, my boyfriend. Well, now ex-boyfriend."

"No family around there or in Melbourne?"

"It's a long story, Mark."

"There's a good five hundred kilometres to go. I'm okay to sit here in silence if you're more comfortable with that. But I've carried plenty of passengers and learned many life stories over the years. I'm wondering why you're heading to Sydney, no friends or family there, with only a few dollars in your pocket and I'm not sure what you're going to do. I'm merely a concerned citizen."

She fidgeted in her seat for a few minutes before she whispered, "He hurt me."

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,344 Followers