Dual Heritage Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One of them shouted. "You're dead, you hear me? Dead!"

"I don't think so," he just laughed. "You two are going to stay put until the cops get here," he said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

The cashier, who had been sobbing quietly in the corner, looked up at Mark with a mixture of fear and gratitude. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice shaking. "Thank you so much."

Mark gave her a reassuring smile. "It's going to be okay."

It felt like an eternity before Mark heard the sirens in the distance. He could feel the tension in the air, but he refused to let his guard down until the police were inside the store. Finally, he heard the sound of footsteps approaching and the jingle of keys as the officers unlocked the door.

He kept a watchful eye on the intruders, making sure they didn't try anything before the police arrived.

When the police finally arrived, Mark held up his hands and stepped back, making it clear that he was not a threat. The officers quickly assessed the situation and took the intruders into custody. Mark gave a statement to the police, explaining what had happened and how he had managed to stop the robbery.

As the officers took the intruders away, Mark made sure to check on the cashier, who was still trembling with fear. "It's okay, you're safe now."

He gently guided her to a chair and sat down next to her. He offered her some words of comfort and told her that she was safe now. She thanked him with tears in her eyes, grateful for his actions.

Once the situation had been resolved, Mark quietly slipped out of the store and into the night.

Mark quickly got up from the lawn and wiped his hands on his pants, hoping that none of his nosy neighbors had seen him. He looked around, making sure that there were no prying eyes before he made his way to the front door. He knew that if they saw him acting suspiciously, they would surely gossip and spread rumors about him. He knew Lida would start lecturing him again about the responsible use of his powers. She had never been supportive of his abilities and always cautioned him against using them unnecessarily. The last thing he wanted was another long-winded lecture from her about the dangers of drawing attention to himself.

He sprinted towards his house and fumbled with his keys, eager to enter and avoid any further attention. As he unlocked the front door, he could hear the sound of Lida's voice coming from the living room. He winced, knowing that she would be quick to scold him if she found out what he had just done.

Mark silently tiptoed past the living room, trying to make his way up to his bedroom without being detected.

However, his aunt spotted him and called out, "Mark! What's going on? Why are you so dirty?"

"Oh, it's nothing. I was just playing soccer with some friends in the park."

"Is everything okay? You look a little shaken up."

"Oh, I'm fine. Just a long day, you know."

Her eyes narrowed, scrutinizing him for a moment longer before she seemed to accept his explanation and returned to her show.

Mark breathed a sigh of relief and quickly made his way up to his room. Once he was safely in his room, he flopped down on his bed, his heart still racing from the adrenaline of the encounter at the department store. He closed his eyes and tried to relax, but his mind was still racing with the events of the day. Suddenly, he was transported back to the night his parents were killed. He could hear their screams echoing in his mind, and he could see the blood on the floor.

The images played out in his mind like a movie, and he couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness and despair. He heard unknown assailants enter their home, heard the screams and cries of his parents. He felt the terror and the pain, and the guilt of not being able to save them. It was like he was reliving the nightmare all over again.

Mark tried to shake himself out of the dream, but it was like he was trapped in it. He could hear the sounds ringing in his ears, and the smell of blood was overpowering. He couldn't escape the feeling of loss and the crushing weight of the tragedy.

As the dream continued to play out, he felt himself sinking deeper into despair. It was like he was reliving the worst moment of his life, and there was nothing he could do to change the outcome. He was trapped in the nightmare, unable to escape. Eventually, he fell into a fitful sleep, haunted by the memories.

The next morning, Mark awoke in a daze, his mind still shrouded by the unsettling remnants of his dreams. He took a deep, steadying breath, forcing himself to dispel the haunting images. With a heavy heart, he dragged himself out of bed and into the bathroom. Splashing cold water onto his face, he willed himself to shake off the lingering dread.

He walked down the stairs to the sound of sizzling bacon and the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Lida was already in the kitchen, humming softly to herself as she cooked breakfast.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, dear," his aunt replied, her eyes crinkling with a smile as she turned to him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Sure did," he lied, masking his unease.

"Good. Breakfast will be ready soon. Have a seat."

He took a seat at the kitchen table, his thoughts still clouded. The clinking of utensils and the comforting aroma of food began to ground him in the present moment.

As she served him his breakfast, Mark's thoughts wandered back to yesterday. He couldn't shake off the image of the terrified cashier and the intruders who threatened her life. He knew he couldn't let something like that happen again, but he also knew he had to be careful not to reveal his abilities to anyone.

They ate in silence for a few moments before Lida broke it. "So, how's college going?"

"It's going well," he replied, taking a sip of his orange juice.

"That's good to hear. Have you been keeping up with your studies?"

"Yah."

"Mark." she had a stern expression. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

He froze mid-bite, feeling his heart skip a beat. Did she somehow know about the incident at the department store? Or was she picking up on his anxiety from the nightmare he had just experienced? He tried to keep his expression neutral as he looked back at her.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been acting off since you got home. What's bothering you?"

"Nothing, Aunt. Just swamped with college work," he deflected, hoping she'd buy it.

"So you were never going to tell me about yesterday, huh?"

Mark nearly choked on his toast. "What? What are you talking about?"

"I got a call from the police station, informing me about a robbery that took place at the department store," Lida explained.

Mark felt his heart sink as the reality of the situation set in. He had been hoping that the whole incident had gone unnoticed, but now it seemed that his secret was out.

"I...I didn't want to worry you."

She gave him a disappointed look. "Mark, I don't understand why you would involve yourself in something like this. You could have gotten hurt, or worse, hurt someone else."

"I...I just happened to be there."

"Don't play dumb with me, Mark. Cops said you were there and that you apprehended the robbers." her face was devoid of any emotion, "I told you this so many times, just because you have powers doesn't mean you can go around playing hero all the time."

"I know, I know. But what was I supposed to do? Just stand by and let them hurt someone?"

She just shook her head. "I understand your intentions. But that still doesn't warrant you to do whatever you want."

"I didn't have a choice. They were threatening innocent people."

"You know how I feel about using your powers unnecessarily," Lida scolded. "You can't just go around using them whenever you want."

"I just reacted on impulse, Aunt."

As he tried to defend his actions, Lida's expression grew even more stern. "I understand that you felt like you had to do something, Mark, but that doesn't excuse your behavior. You could have put yourself and others in danger by getting involved."

"I was just trying to help."

"I know, but you need to learn to control your impulses and think things through before you act."

The conversation grew tense as Mark felt his frustration mounting. "I can't just sit by and do nothing when I see someone in trouble."

"I'm not saying you should do nothing, but you also can't take matters into your own hands without considering the consequences," she countered.

"I just stopped them from hurting others."

"But what about the consequences? What if you had been caught? What if the police had mistaken you for one of the intruders? Do you think your powers would have saved you then?" Lida retorted, her voice tinged with worry.

As they argued, the tension in the room continued to rise. Mark felt frustrated and misunderstood, while she felt helpless and worried for his safety.

"I just don't want you to get hurt. You know the risks that come with using your powers in public. What if someone saw you?"

"I was careful, Aunt. No one saw me," he retorted, feeling defensive. "I'm not a child anymore. I can handle myself."

"You may not be a child, but you're not invincible either. You need to start thinking about the consequences of your actions, not just the immediate results."

"I can make my own decisions."

Lida sighed heavily, realizing that she wasn't going to get through to him. "I just don't want to lose you too," she said softly.

Mark's anger dissipated, replaced by a sense of guilt. He knew that she only had his best interests at heart, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that he needed to use his powers to help others.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that," he said quietly.

She gave him a small smile. " I just want you to be safe," she said, reaching across the table to pat his hand.

As Mark looked into his aunt's pale eyes, he could see the concern etched on her face. The wrinkles around her eyes and the weariness of her expression made him feel guilty for causing her any worry. Although Lida had never asked him to address her as a mother, she had always been there for him when he needed her.

He remembered how she had comforted him when he lost his parents, and how she had worked tirelessly to ensure that he had a roof over his head and food on his plate. She had taken him in and raised him as her own, and he knew he owed her everything.

He took a deep breath and met his aunt's gaze. "I'm so sorry, Aunt. I know you just worry about me."

"I know you have a good heart, Mark. Just promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise."

"I'm sorry for raising my voice."

"It's okay," he replied, and then she pulled him into her arms and gave him a huge hug.

When they pulled away, Lida gave him a more genuine smile. "I love you, you know that, right? I'm only saying all of this because I worry."

"I know, Aunt. And I love you too," he replied, feeling a sense of relief wash over him.

As Mark left for college, the weight of the morning's conversation lingered. He knew he had a responsibility to use his powers wisely, but the line between right and wrong seemed increasingly blurred. As much as he hated worrying his aunt, he couldn't shake the feeling that he had done the right thing.

3

Mark hastily grabbed his backpack and darted out the door, his eyes darting around as if expecting to find someone lurking in the shadows. Though he told himself it was just paranoia, he couldn't shake the unsettling feeling that he was being watched. As he neared the college campus, he quickened his pace, anxious about the prospect of facing his professor's ire for tardiness. Recent events had disrupted his usually punctual routine.

He quickened his pace, his backpack bouncing against his shoulders as he jogged down the sidewalk. The warm sun beat down on his face, and he could feel the sweat gathering at the back of his neck. He was already late for his first class, and he didn't want to draw any more attention to himself by sprinting across campus. As he walked, Mark couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. He kept looking over his shoulder, half-expecting to see someone following him. The memory of the robbery and his use of magic to stop it was still fresh in his mind, and he wondered if anyone had noticed.

Taking a deep breath, he muttered to himself, "No one saw anything. Just keep moving and act normal."

Mark quickened his pace, hoping to make it to class on time. He was almost there when he bumped into someone, sending his backpack flying and scattering his books all over the sidewalk.

"Sorry about that," Mark said, hastily gathering his belongings.

The guy he'd bumped into—a lanky figure with curly hair and an easygoing grin—chuckled. "No worries. Running late?"

"Yeah, I'm late for class," he replied, stuffing his books back into his backpack.

"Well, don't let me keep you. Good luck with your class!"

Finally, he reached the classroom building and slipped inside, trying to blend in with the other students. He found his way to his class and opened the door quietly, slipping inside and taking a seat at the back of the room.

His heart was still racing from the rush of adrenaline, and he couldn't concentrate on the lecture. He kept glancing around the room, checking for anyone who might have noticed him. But everyone seemed to be focused on the lecture, scribbling notes in their notebooks. He started scribbling his own notes in his notebook as the professor continued the lecture. He tried to focus on the lesson, but his mind kept wandering back to the incident at the department store and his aunt's disapproval. He couldn't shake off the feeling that he had made a mistake by using his abilities.

"Remember, the second law of thermodynamics deals with the concept of entropy and the flow of heat energy from hot to cold objects," the professor said, bringing Mark's attention back to the lecture.

Mark tried to focus on the lesson, but his mind kept wandering. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was being watched, and it was making it impossible to concentrate. Finally, the class ended, and he gathered his things, hurrying out of the room and back onto the campus. He rushed out of the classroom, trying to catch up on the missed content as he walked down the corridor. As he turned the corner, he nearly bumped into his best friend Ron, who had been waiting for him outside.

"Hey man, where the fuck were you last night?" Ron asked, giving him a friendly punch on the shoulder.

"Something, uh, came up."

"Well, you missed out. We had a wild time at the party. You should've been there."

Mark forced a smile. "I'll try to make it to the next one."

"Good. Hey, you seem a bit off. Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit distracted today,"

"You look like shit dude. Why don't you take the day off?"

"I can't skip class, Ron. I've already missed too much."

"If you say so, but if you need anything, just let me know."

"Thanks, man. I appreciate it."

As they walked through the campus, Mark's sense of unease intensified. He felt as if he were being watched, scrutinized again and again.

"Hey, are you sure you're okay?" Ron asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright, well, I'm heading to the cafeteria. Wanna join me for lunch?"

"Sure, sounds good."

They entered the busy cafeteria, and despite his churning stomach, Mark knew he had to eat. As they sat down, he scanned the room but saw no one out of the ordinary.

"Hey, you're not eating much."

"I'm just not that hungry," Mark lied, pushing his food around on his plate.

"Seriously Mark, you look like a freaking zombie. Why don't you get some rest?"

"I can't. I've got a lab this afternoon, and I don't want to miss it."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "Since when do you care about that?"

Mark hesitated for a moment, but he won't leave him. "I've got an eye on the professor's assistant."

Ron chuckled. "Oh man, you're hopeless. Good luck with that."

Mark rolled his eyes. "Thanks. So, what's up with you? How's work?"

Ron's expression sobered a bit. "It's been pretty hectic lately. The boss has been on my ass about meeting our quotas."

"That sucks. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Nah, it's all good. Just gotta keep grinding, you know?"

He nodded, but he couldn't help feeling a pang of guilt. Ron was always there for him, but he'd been too preoccupied lately to be there for his friend. He made a mental note to make it up to him soon.

"Well, I gotta head to my next class," Mark said, slinging his backpack over his shoulder. "See you later, Ron."

"Yeah, catch you later."

Mark watched his friend disappear down the hallway, feeling a sense of unease settle in the pit of his stomach. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was off, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. He decided to take Ron's advice and skip his next class, opting instead to head to the campus library to clear his head.

As he made his way through the bustling campus, Mark's mind wandered back to the events of the previous night. He knew he couldn't keep his powers a secret forever, but the thought of revealing his abilities to the world was terrifying. He had no idea what kind of consequences it would bring, and the thought of putting his loved ones in danger made his blood run cold. Lost in his thoughts, Mark nearly collided with a group of students milling around outside the library entrance.

"Hey, watch where you're going," one of them snapped.

"Sorry," Mark mumbled, as he hurried past them and into the cool, quiet confines of the library.

As Mark made his way towards the library, he mentally prepared himself for the task ahead. He needed to study for his midterms, and the library was the best place for it. However, when he stepped inside the building, he immediately regretted his decision.

As he stepped inside, the scent of old books and dust enveloped him, reminding him of the countless hours he had spent in this very room. The stacks of books rose high, stretching towards the ceiling, and he could hear the soft rustling of pages as students flipped through them in search of information.

Despite the grandeur of the surroundings, Mark's attention was quickly drawn to the sea of students that filled the library. Everywhere he looked, people were hunched over textbooks, furiously scribbling notes or typing away at their laptops. The sound of turning pages, hushed whispers and the occasional cough filled the air, creating a sense of quiet intensity.

He walked around for a few minutes, searching for an empty study room or table to work at, but it seemed like every inch of the library was occupied. Mark's frustration grew with each passing minute. He needed a quiet place to study, and he didn't want to waste any more time looking for one.

Finally, after searching for what felt like an eternity, Mark spotted an empty study room in the corner of the library. He made a beeline for it, hoping no one else would beat him to it. As he stepped inside, he felt a sense of relief wash over him.