Dual Heritage Ch. 01

Story Info
Mark's life takes a turn when a mage enters his life.
8k words
4.55
12.9k
37

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 12/16/2023
Created 10/05/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ianflint
Ianflint
136 Followers

This is my first novel and I am hoping to improve as I write more. Please give me suggestions and feedback.

1

Craig suddenly appeared in the middle of dinner and grabbed his son. Mark was caught off guard and didn't understand what was happening. As he was pulled away, Mark could see the fear in his father's eyes, a sight he had never witnessed before. This filled him with a sense of confusion and dread.

"What's happening, Dad?"

Before he could get an answer, his mother whisked him away down the hallway.

She led Mark to the hatch that led to the root cellar. The steep, rickety stairs creaked under their weight as they made their way down and Mark could feel his heart pounding in his chest.

Once they reached the cellar, his mother ushered Mark into a cabinet that Craig had built last winter.

Her hands shook as she pushed him in. "Stay here and be quiet, no matter what you hear," she whispered urgently, her eyes filling with tears.

Mark felt a lump form in his throat as he realized how scared his mother was. He wanted to comfort her, but he knew he had to do as he was told.

He nodded silently.

She cupped his cheek, planted a final kiss on his forehead, and then closed the cabinet door.

And that was the last time he saw his parents alive.

As the door closed shut, he was plunged into darkness. It was cramped and he had to crouch to fit inside. The air was stale and musty, and he could smell the earth and the dampness. He couldn't hear anything except the sound of his own breathing and his heart pounding in his chest. He wondered what was happening, and why they had to hide in this dark and cramped space.

He hugged his knees and tried to make himself as small as possible. His mind raced with questions and fears, but he pushed them aside and focused on being quiet and staying hidden. He knew that something was happening, something dangerous, and he didn't want to do anything that would threaten their safety.

Suddenly, a harsh voice broke through the silence, causing Mark's heart to skip a beat. "We have ways to make you talk, Craig," the voice spat out. A loud crash echoed through the room, followed by the sound of his mother's screams, sounding even more distressed than before.

"Tell us where you hid him, now, or we'll hurt her again!"

His mother's cries tore through him, igniting a nauseating dread.

The voice of another person spoke up, sounding older and more menacing. It didn't sound angry, yet it sent shivers down Mark's spine.

"We don't have time. Hurry up."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Mark felt as if he was listening to a man surrounded by monsters.

"Don't bother lying to us, Encante," the voice said with a sneer. "Your fellow magi told us all about the pretty little runt you have. You really thought you could hide him from us."

He heard his mother's voice. "You guys must be really scared, huh?"

Suddenly, there was a sharp slapping sound, followed by a whimper from her. Mark's heart sank at the sound of his mother's pain.

The atmosphere in the small root cellar became suffocatingly tense as the intruders' threats grew more menacing. Mark's heart was pounding in his chest as he tried to stay as still and silent as possible, praying.

But their luck ran out when one of the intruders growled, "We don't have time for this. Just kill them both and let's get out of here."

Mark's blood ran cold at the words, and he felt a sickening sense of dread settle in his stomach. He couldn't believe this was happening - that their lives were being threatened like this. He wanted to scream and fight back.

He listened intently as he heard the sound of two loud bangs, followed by a sudden silence. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he felt as though he was holding his breath. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. For a few moments, there was complete silence, and Mark felt as though he was the only person left in the world. Then he heard the sound of the intruders leaving. He could hear their footsteps growing fainter and fainter until they disappeared entirely.

He slowly opened the cabinet door and stepped out, his heart racing with fear and confusion. He goes up to the living room. The moment he stepped into the living room, the sight that greeted him was nothing short of a nightmare.

His parents lay motionless on the ground, their lifeless eyes staring blankly ahead. Blood pooled around them, seeping into the floorboards. Nausea washed over him, and he stumbled backwards, tripping over a chair and landing hard on the ground.

Tears streamed down his face as he crawled over to his parents, hoping against hope that they were just unconscious. But they were gone.

He sat there, in shock and disbelief, for what felt like hours. He couldn't believe that his parents were dead, that his whole world had been ripped apart in a matter of moments. His mind raced with questions - who were those people, and why did they do this? Why did they kill his parents?

Just then Lida arrived at the scene, panting and out of breath. She had been searching for Mark and found him standing in the middle of the living room, staring blankly at his parents' lifeless bodies.

"Oh my god, Mark. What happened? Are you okay?"

Mark turned to her, tears streaming down his face. He could barely bring himself to speak, but he managed to choke out the words. "They're gone, Lida. They killed them."

The weight of his words hung in the air, a suffocating fog of tragedy. Just as they were trying to navigate this new, nightmarish reality, a soft creak echoed from the doorway. Both heads swiveled in unison to find an intruder materializing on the threshold.

Adrenaline surged through Mark's veins, but it was as if his limbs were made of lead. He was a child who had just seen the pillars of his world crumble; what was he supposed to do now?

As the intruder stepped into the room, Lida quickly grabbed a nearby vase and hurled it at him, hoping to buy them some time. But the intruder dodged it with ease and lunged towards them with his knife.

Without a moment's hesitation, Lida extended her hand and chanted a spell under her breath. A blast of energy shot out of her palm, hitting the intruder squarely in the chest. He stumbled back, gasping for air, but quickly recovered and charged towards them again.

Lida knew she had to act fast. She concentrated all her power and summoned a fierce whirlwind that engulfed the intruder, lifting him off his feet and slamming him against the wall with a sickening thud.

The intruder lay motionless on the ground, blood trickling from his nose and ears. Lida knew she had killed him, but she didn't feel any remorse. It was either him or them, and she had chosen to protect herself and Mark.

Mark stared at her. "How did you do........?"

"I'll explain later," Lida said, her eyes scanning the room for any other threats. "Right now, we need to leave. We can't stay here any longer."

After 2 days.....

Lida sprinted down the labyrinthine alley, each twist and turn guided by memories that cut through the enveloping darkness. She clutched the boy tightly to her chest, aware that he was too heavy to carry for long. However, she needed to flee and hide while she still had the chance. As she ran, Mark wept quietly in her arms, confused about what was happening.

Her lungs were burning as she reached the end of the path, and she was forced to lower Mark to the ground. "Shhhh.....be quiet," she whispered, and they both stood motionless, listening to the sounds of the night. Lida focused her thoughts, attempting to cast a spell that would conceal them from their pursuers. The spell was complex, draining, and as she felt the last vestiges of her energy siphon away, her knee buckled, bringing her crashing down to the ground.

"Mark, we have to go now," Lida said as she pulled him up from the ground.

The two of them dashed towards the forest, with Lida struggling to keep her footing as exhaustion began to set in. The path twisted and turned, and her legs ached from the strain of carrying him, but she refused to stop. Eventually, the roars and the sound of battle faded away, leaving them alone in the darkness.

Just when Lida thought they might have a chance, she felt a vice-like grip clamp down on her shoulder. Before she could even process the danger, she was yanked backward with such force that her feet flew out from under her. She hit the ground with a bone-jarring thud, a sharp cry of pain escaping her lips as she made contact with earth.

A brutal kick to her abdomen left Lida gasping for air, each breath a ragged struggle.

She noticed a huge frame over her, breathing heavily with anger. He spat out curses and insults, his eyes narrowed into slits. Lida tried to scramble to her feet, but he was too quick, pushing her down again.

"You think you can elude us, little witch? You're only digging your own grave."

Lida's voice was a low growl, tinged with defiance. "I won't let you lay a finger on him."

His lips twisted into a sadistic grin. "Oh, we know all about your precious charge. He's the linchpin, the key to everything. And now that we have him, you're expendable."

Despair clawed at Lida, but she fought it back. She had failed to protect Mark, but she wasn't about to surrender. "You'll never get away with this," she hissed.

His laughter was a chilling echo in the night air. "We already have," he gloated, before delivering a vicious kick to Mark, eliciting a sharp cry from the boy.

Lida's eyes ignited with a fury that could scorch the earth. "Don't you dare touch him!" she roared.

"Oh, I plan to do much more than that. But first, you."

As the pursuer raised his knife, Lida's heart sank. She knew it was all over for them. But suddenly, his head exploded into a gory mess. Blood and brains splattered all over her and she gasped in shock and horror.

She turned her head to see Mark with his hands shining brightly. He had a look of fear on his face.

"Mark, what have you done?"

"I don't know!" he replied, tears streaming down his face. "I was scared and I just I just......."

Lida hugged him tightly, trying to calm him down. "It's okay. You didn't do anything wrong. You were just protecting us," she said, her voice soft and reassuring.

"But...how did I do that?"

"I don't know," she admitted, still in shock from the sudden turn of events. "But we don't have time to figure it out right now. We need to get out of here before more of them come."

Mark nodded, wiping his tears on his sleeve. "Okay" he said, taking Lida's hand as they started running again.

As they navigated the labyrinthine woods, Lida's mind raced. She had heard of such potent magic, but it was rare, volatile, and she had never expected to witness it from a child.

They ran for what felt like hours, the forest growing thicker and darker as they went. Finally, they stumbled upon a small clearing, where they collapsed onto the ground in exhaustion.

Lida pulled Mark close, holding him tightly as they both caught their breath. "We're safe now," she whispered, kissing his forehead. "We're going to be okay."

Mark nodded, sniffling. "But what about dad and mom?"

Lida's heart ached at the question. She didn't know who exactly killed them, but she knew it couldn't be good. "We'll find a way to bury them," she promised, even though she wasn't sure how they could.

They sat in silence for a while, the only sounds coming from the rustling of leaves and the occasional hoot of an owl. Lida looked up at the sky, seeing the first signs of dawn starting to appear on the horizon.

"We should keep moving," she said, standing up and pulling Mark with her. "We can't stay in here for too long."

Mark nodded, and they continued on their journey, both unsure of what lay ahead.

2

Mark trudged along, his head bowed as if carrying an invisible weight. He wore dark sunglasses, a feeble shield against the morning sun that seemed to pierce through him. Each ray felt like an assault on his already sensitive eyes. Frustrated, he took a deep gulp of his oversized coffee seeking solace in its warmth. But even the caffeine couldn't lift the fog of discomfort that had settled over him.

For three relentless weeks, a stubborn virus had held him hostage. His muscles felt like they had been put through a meat grinder while his head was a congested maze, and even his teeth seemed to pulse with a dull ache.

Work was non-negotiable, so he soldiered on, finding himself in a department store in search of a temporary salve for his relentless headache.

As he navigated the labyrinthine aisles for over-the-counter relief, his phone buzzed, jolting him momentarily. Pulling it out, he saw his best friend's name flash on the screen.

"Hey, man. What's up?"

"Hey," came the reply. "You sound like crap. Still under the weather?"

"Yeah, it's been a rough few weeks,"

"I can't. Too much going on at the moment. But I'm managing."

"Just don't run yourself into the ground, okay?"

"Is there anything else I can grab for you while I'm out?" Mark asked, trying to change the subject.

"Hmm, maybe some twinkles?"

"Sure thing. And a Coke to wash it down?"

"You read my mind."

"Alright, I'll swing by soon. Just make sure Greta doesn't raid the snack stash before I get there."

"Deal. I'll guard it with my life."

Mark cautiously returned his phone to the pocket of his distressed jean jacket, acutely aware that losing it would earn him another tiresome lecture from his aunt on adult responsibilities. The store's flickering fluorescent lights seemed to mock his misery, amplifying his discomfort. With a look of disdain, he grabbed a box of painkillers and headed toward the snack aisle.

As he perused the shelves, heavy footsteps suddenly filled the store. He turned to see three burly men clad in black and wearing face masks approaching the counter. The cashier greeted them in a bored tone, but Mark could sense that something was off.

He heard the cashier ask in a bored tone, "Can I help you with something?"

One of the bulky-looking men clad in all black and face masks leaned forward.

"We don't need any help, but you do," he replied, causing the cashier's bored expression to change. The other two men moved closer to the counter, and Mark's heart began to race.

The leader pulled out a gun from his back pocket and pointed it at the cashier. "You don't want to make this difficult for us, do you?"

The cashier's lower lip trembled as she started to cry. "P-Please, I'll give you whatever you want!"

"Shut the fuck up and put the money in the bag!" the leader shouted, pointing the gun at her forehead. The cashier struggled to retrieve the money from the register, and her hands shook with fear.

"I don't have all day!" the leader shouted again.

"Please, don't hurt me," the cashier pleaded "H-Here, t-t-take this. Please, don't—" she sobbed, holding out a wad of cash in front of her.

"That's it? Where's the rest?"

Mark, who had been frozen, now started to take in his surroundings. He noticed that the other customers in the store had all either hidden or made a run for it. His heart raced as he thought about what he should do. He wanted to help her but he knew that he would be putting himself in danger by getting involved. The cashier continued to plead for mercy, but the leader seemed to be enjoying her fear. Mark knew that he had to do something, but his mind was blank. He took a step back, trying to make himself as inconspicuous as possible.

As he stepped back, his foot hit a small pile of cans, making a loud clanging noise. All three men whipped around to face him, and Mark's heart sank. He had hoped to go unnoticed, but it seemed his luck had run out.

All three sets of eyes turned to him.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

Mark tried to back away, but the leader grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pulled him close. "You got a death wish or something, kid?"

He felt the cold metal of the gun pressing against his forehead. His eyes widened in fear as he saw the leader's finger tightening on the trigger. He knew he had to act fast before the situation escalated any further.

With a deep breath, Mark focused his mind on his ether. He had always been careful not to use it in public, but this was a matter of life and death. He closed his eyes and let his ether flow through his body, almost imperceptible to the untrained eye. Carefully and inconspicuously, he focused his energy, sending a quick pulse of magic towards the gun.

The metal seemed to warp and twist, rendering it completely non-functional. Suddenly, the gun in the his hand became useless, as if it had turned into a harmless toy. The man pulled the trigger, but the gun simply clicked, and the bullet never left the chamber. His eyes widened in confusion as he tried to fire the gun again and again, but to no avail. Mark breathed a sigh of relief as the tension in the room dissipated slightly. The robber looked around, trying to figure out what had happened.

Taking advantage of the intruder's momentary confusion, Mark punched him straight in the face with a powerful blow. The intruder stumbled backwards, clutching his nose and moaning in pain.

"You think you're so tough?"

He quickly recovered and tried to retaliate. However, Mark was faster and skilled. He bobbed and weaved, dodging the intruder's wild swings and counterattacking with precision.

Each punch from Mark landed with a satisfying crunch, and he relished in the feeling of his knuckles connecting with his hard face. The intruder tried to fight back, but Mark was in control. He delivered blow after blow, not giving the intruder a chance to catch his breath.

"How does it feel to be on the receiving end?" Mark taunted between punches.

He had never been a violent person, but seeing someone terrorizing innocent people made his blood boil. He felt a sense of satisfaction in seeing the intruder cower and wince in pain. Finally, the leader fell to the ground, blood trickling from his nose and mouth.

The other two robbers, who had been occupied with the cashier, turned around and saw their leader lying on the ground with Mark standing over him. They reached for their own guns, but Mark was already one step ahead. He used his magic to create a blinding flash of light that disoriented them and bought him enough time to grab the gun from the fallen man's hand.

"Now, let's see how you like it when the odds are against you," Mark said, pointing the gun at the them.

After disarming them, Mark quickly assessed the situation. The two robbers were now his hostages, and he needed to act fast. He held them both at gunpoint and turned to the cashier, who was still trembling in fear.

"Call the police," he instructed her, keeping his eyes on the robbers. "Tell them there's been a robbery and we have suspects in custody."

The cashier nodded and fumbled for the phone, her hands shaking as she dialed 911. Mark kept his eyes on the robbers, making sure they didn't make any sudden movements.

Mark knew he had to keep the intruders under control until the police arrived. He motioned for them to get down on the ground and put their hands behind their backs.

They glared at him but didn't make any sudden moves. They knew they were outmatched. Mark kept the gun trained on them, making sure they didn't try anything.

Ianflint
Ianflint
136 Followers