Earning a Name

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's not how it works, mom!" Livvy and Taylor both blushed. "She doesn't have the right equipment to get me pregnant. I've checked." Her grin and resolve both returned with added strength. "A lot."

Dia shook her head. Trying to embarrass Livvy rarely worked. She dropped the subject and hugged her son. "Don't forget to have fun today, and don't forget to eat something. I love you, Mijo."

"Thanks, mom."

"That said, we expect grandchildren someday soon." Dia grinned, as Fredo blushed. "From both of you, though you and Taylor can wait a while." Dia winked.

Angela and 542 observed the arrival of several guests as 542 made notes about pairings in the group. Angela couldn't resist sprinkling a little inspiration on Maya, the bride's maid of honor, as she put the finishing touches on her speech for the reception. They flew into the sanctuary in time for the wedding march to play and a redheaded bride to walk in, her arm linked with Jake as he walked his eldest daughter to the altar.

Clementine and Alfredo had been best friends in elementary and middle school before things changed in their senior year of high school. Clem started dating a neighbor boy, and Fredo felt jealous. He did his best to not show that jealousy and continued treating Clem the same, but when the boy broke up with her before senior prom, Fredo didn't allow the opportunity to show his true feelings to slip through his fingers. They dated through the remainder of the school year, summer, and their freshman year of college, but the strain of being on different coasts for college severed the bond before it could solidify.

Several years later, after Fredo and Clem got their degrees and had gone through trials and tribulations of their own relationships, they ended up back home to move up in their career paths. Angela smiled when 542 asked if a muse helped inspire their job interviews. Clem and Fredo were destined to get together, but she sped up the timeline by a half-decade.

Fredo and Clem's places of employment were primary sponsors of the same New Year's Eve party. The look on Alfredo's face when Clementine arrived at the party wearing an incredible emerald-colored gown almost matched his expression when Clementine stepped into the sanctuary. This time, though, he didn't fight the tear as it fell from his eye.

Both the young adults had planned to appear for the sake of their position. Fredo had to say hello to Clem, and they lost track of time catching up from all their years apart. When the countdown suddenly reached zero at midnight, Clementine kissed Alfredo, and their destiny crystallized in their minds.

A few minutes into the service, the doors to the sanctuary eased open as two men quietly took a seat at the back of the room. Both Clem and Fredo's biological fathers quietly sat at the back of the room. They had started the healing process with their children but didn't desire to be a distraction at the wedding. Chet had been contrite at his trial years ago and accepted probation but had been so embarrassed by what his friend had done that he moved far away from his son.

"Magic can only take us out of our time stream for so long, my dear." Angela grinned after the speeches and the bride and groom's first dance.

"Thank you for this," 542 fluttered over to his soulmate and kissed her. "I needed this."

"So did I." Angela grinned as they flapped out of the church and back toward the nearest portal into the ethereal realm.

542 didn't earn his name by making up for three missed first arrows that he eventually rectified; instead, he introduced a new way of thinking. They used to think that the first time a couple met had to be when an agent of true love should fire their arrow, and when loosed, they should aim it true to get the quickest return on investment of magic. It had been amazing that short-term gains, instead of the best result, had blinded such long-lived creatures. 542's errant aim had lucked into a new discovery.

For some partners, a first arrow hitting squarely in the heart wouldn't lead to their best life. They wouldn't be the people their partner needed without more life experience. Clem and Fredo had been each other's first, but the night they got back together after a New Year's kiss, they discovered the incredible value of a separate experience. They were then much better people and much better lovers.

Analysis of the amount of magic returned over the long haul and the propensity for the epic loves to inspire romance in subsequent generations supported a revolutionary entire school of thought in the True Love Division. 542 clarified that it wasn't just his efforts; his use of cross-disciplinary assistance, like the muses and dreams, was vital to his success. He was proud that Angela was helping him finally earn a name.

The naming ceremony was quick, but filled with the requisite reverence for the event. 542 didn't want an event that was too large. Angela was the only person he needed present other than the officiant and Aether Court-appointed witness. She fluttered beside him as his list of achievements was read out and into the Grand Record. Even with lifespans measured in dozens of millennia, few mythical creatures ever earned a name.

"542, On Behalf of the Aether Court, it is my exceptional honor to present you with a name." The official announced broadly from the overlook above the Aether Tower's immense lobby. Many mythic beings stopped their daily activity to gaze up at the rare ceremony. "The Council conferred for quite a while before we landed on a moniker that would befit you."

"The name had to have a meaning with love in mind. Your life's work has toiled ceaselessly to advance our influx of magic and the betterment of the mortals." Angela surprised him as she let go of his hand and fluttered to hover beside the officiant.

"Your many early successes took place in Europe, so we needed a name with its origins where your rise in the love department originated." A councilor from the Aether Court flew out from behind the backdrop. His presence marked a second member of the Council on the podium.

In the decades since Wade and Dia were wed, Angela had taken her place as the Creatives representative. Angela had to recuse herself when the Council voted on his naming, but once it was agreed upon, she could help assign a name.

"Carys means 'to love' in Welsh." Valentino, who had once tried to demote 542 from the True Love Division back to Lust, fluttered down from an upper floor. He was now the Positive Emotions representative on the Council. "It shares its origin with Cassanova, the name of my predecessor on the Council."

"We needed more than just love in the name. Your sense of justice and fairness also needed to be represented." The officiant continued.

"From this day forward, 542, you will be known as Carwyn, meaning, 'Fair love.'" Angela grinned as she fluttered back to him. "Congratulations, my love."

"Thank you." Happy tears poured from Carwyn's eyes.

"This is all from your hard work, Carwyn." Angela kissed him.

"And your undying support."

"May both of you continue your atmospheric rise with the full support of the Council." The officiate bowed his head slightly. "It is our honor to also recognize your request of permanent union."

"What?" Angela grinned as she did a joyful barrel roll, bringing Carwyn along. The Mythical equivalent of marriage was rarer than a name. The pair had submitted a request a decade ago.

"It is our proud honor to recognize the union of Angela and Carwyn!" The officiant's voice boomed over the crowd, fluttering in from around the Aether Tower. A union and naming happening simultaneously hadn't occurred in a millennium and a half.

"Best day of your life?"

"With you beside me? Getting close." Carwyn had earned his name and had his union with Angela recognized. This was the icing on the top, watching the fruits of his work in the mortal world. There would be more work to do, but together with his love, they could keep achieving incredible things.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A hearty thanks to my editor, kenjisato, for helping me edit this story.

Comments and votes are very appreciated.