Ecowyn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The man in red put a hand on my shoulder. "Rhys, you're not thinking clearly. I realize you've never had these sorts of feelings before, but you are going about it the wrong..."

"Remove your hand from my companion, Fastion!"

Fastion pulled his hand away, but stood up. After he did, the others stood as well.

Alastor raised a hand towards Rhys. "If you cannot treat your companion as you should, then you do not deserve her, Rhys. Listen to the counsel of your brothers. Each in turn will have an hour with you this day to share with you their thoughts and ways for you to deal with her without using compulsion or force or threats. If you cannot conform to our standards for the treatment of your companion, she will be taken from you. Your brothers will have the opportunity to claim her, or draw if more than one wishes her. If none wish her, she will go to a coven. This is my proclamation! Ecowyn, Usiah will see you to the library to wait."

"No," Rhys scowled. "Take her to Cera and find her a brush. She cannot read. Girl...," he growled, taking my arm as I stood. "None other shall have you!" he promised, his face full of fury, but his tone more soft. Pulling me close, he kissed me and held me close, his mouth lingering until the tension went out of me and I kissed him back, my hands going to his arms. Finally, he pulled back breathlessly, his eyes hooded. "You ARE mine," he whispered.

Unsteadily, I gave a single nod as I blushed.

Usiah started to lead me away, but I paused and turned to Alastor. "Might I bring my food with me, please?"

"Of course, child," he told me gently. "Sit and eat."

I sat back down to eat and reached over under the table to pat Rhys's hand comfortingly. I had no want to go into Gwideons hands. Rhys was forthright and blunt with what he wanted. There was no secret or hidden agendas. I didn't feel the same about Gwideon. He was a manipulator, the sort to twist words and make you think something was what it wasn't. He would trick and fib to get his way. That wasn't Rhys's way. He said outright what he wanted. I preferred that over someone who would manipulate me. Especially if Rhys would change and be more gentle and less demanding. Less angry. He was simply uncouth and not used to being around females.

Even if he did think I was annoying. That I didn't care for so much, but he also didn't know the real me. Neither did Gwideon or the others, yet they would try and take me even though all they knew of me was how I looked. The same thing they admonished him for. I felt that was unfair of them.

Rhys moved his hand and placed it over mine, holding on to it, though it meant eating with his off hand. I let him, imagining he needed the reassurance. He didn't want to release me, he just didn't know how to treat me.

As soon as I finished eating, listening to the others talk more normally, I began to stand, but Rhys clutched my hand as if he didn't want me to go yet. I squeezed his hand with both of mine, then tugged my hand away and left with Usiah.

The day was incredibly long sitting with Cera and listening to her talk, but mostly I was worried. Less about Rhys and more about Papa. How was I going to convince Rhys to let me check on him? I needed to know, and he needed to know I wasn't dead either!

Jenny came and got me when it was time for dinner, taking me into the kitchen again and feeding me, talking to me about everything and everyone.

At one point, I interjected. "You said you were Gerards companion, right?"

"Yes and no. He claimed me, but not really as a companion. He and Fastion are together like that, so any halfling either of them claimed, it wouldn't be as a true companion. It would be like me, serving in the kitchen. And he wouldn't mind if I took a lover for myself either. And now then, since we're on that subject... How happy are you that Rhys claimed you? Such a handsome man! And it was thought by all that he'd never take a companion! He'd never shown a single interest before, not even in the most comely of servants. Something about you must've caught his eye though, didn't it? I told you that you were a sweet little morsel! Here now, tell me what he's like?"

"He's very... demanding. A bit uncouth... and impatient. He is very handsome, though he is a bit tall for my taste. He'd... never been with a woman before last night and he was incredibly impatient with the need for it, though he did wish to explore some, and that bit was nice."

"So soon?!? Well, you're not a shy one, are ya? I can't remember another companion bein' so quick as to fall in bed the first night!"

I blushed, looking away. "As to that... I didn't have much say in the matter at all. When I tried to say no or even if I cried, he... compelled? Compelled me. Forced me to do it though I had no wish to. That is something for my husband alone."

"Oh," Jenny sighed sadly. "I'd not imagined it might be that way, so sorry little miss. It is not usual for compulsion to be used unless it is important or for her good. Gerard had to compel me to cross a long bridge, terrified as I am of heights. He had to compel me to not be afraid, to be brave. That was the only time he'd ever done it to me. It's not heavily used, it can change a girl's nature if used too much. I'm sorry he took you the way he did, he probably didn't think he was doing wrong. He's never had a girl before and he'd not know the way of it. Only what he wanted. Is that why you're here then? The others take you from him and they're deciding who gets you?"

"No, they are all talking to him. If he cannot change, then they will take me. I... actually don't really want that. Gwideon scares me a bit."

"Oh, he's a sweetheart! Eliphas is nice enough too, if you like his quiet nature. I cannot think Fastion would put in for you, he and Gerard would only claim a halfling who they'd need here, like me. Gwideon and Eiliphas as the only two without a companion besides him."

"Not Alastor?"

"Cera is his companion. Has been going on 5 centuries now."

"Why doesn't Gwideon have a companion, he seems more keen on them than the others."

"Oh he is! His Bonilla passed more'n a decade or so back now. She loved to go up to the tower and look out at the sunrise and sunsets, her gift of light drew her to it. One evening, she did not come to bed and Gwideon got home and went to find her... she had tumbled down all of those stairs and snapped her neck. That was a sad time! It took him a long while to get over it and even consider taking another companion. This passed year though, he's been searching one out. She was a pretty girl, Bonilla. Curves a plenty, luscious and easy to smile. They adored each other! Gwideon had the door to the tower blocked over so no one could ever go up again. Here now, let us talk of lovelier things! Tell me about your gift!"

"I know little of it, only that it involves animals and perhaps healing them someday? I'm not completely sure. I've always had a love for animals and always seemed to have a knack for finding them. Papa pretended to be grumpy about always having animals about, but really he didn't mind so much I think."

A loud gong reverberated throughout the fortress, making me jump.

"What was that?"

"Emergency, a call to the portal room," Jenny breathed worriedly.

Jumping down from my stool, I took off running for the map room. Was it Rhys? Was he alright?

He wasn't there when I ran in, only Eliphas and Gwideon, both looked out of breath. I moved back to the wall, wanting to stay out of the way, but also wanting to know what was going on.

Alastor came in followed by Gerard. Fastion and Rhys came in last, together as if they had been together when the emergency was called.

"What is it?" Alastor demanded.

"Jalebra! He stumbled through moments ago and we sounded the call as we sent him on to the healers! Last night was a trap, all of it a ruse! They sent their weakest striggae here, not even a coven! Just 13 in training who were weak! The others! They know the location of the Fortresses and they infiltrated while the brothers were here! They know of this one too, and knew their decoy would be discovered quickly and lead them right back here to mark it! Alastor, a great many fortresses were wiped out! Claimed by them! Jalebra only just managed to open the portal and get himself here. They attacked while all were asleep! We do not know how many or who, but a call on the librilio gets an answer from no one! If any broke free, they are on their way here on foot. This was the only fortress not hit, as we were all here and closeby."

"We must send people out!" Eliphas cried angrily. "We must scout and look for survivors! Take out all of the striggae and their pets!"

"That is what they want us to do!" Gwideon scowled. "Separate us and take us out one by one. We stay and let them come to us, they will be drawn to the Fortresses that are still under our command. We wait, they'll not hunt them, thinking we will come for our own."

"They are using them as bait, trying to draw us out," Rhys snarled. "I say we do the same! Go to them and use them to find those who track them!"

"No one leaves," Alastor proclaimed. "We stay here and keep guard! Gerard, you and I will take turns on the summoning beacon. Eliphas, you and Fastion on the parapets. Rhys and Gwideon, on the perimeter. Usiah! I need you and Sendafil to take shifts in here and watch the portal in case anymore come through here. Tell the healers to be ready! There may be servants or brothers coming if any can escape! Alert all of the staff and have everyone at the ready! I will summon our covens."

I slipped up next to Rhys and took his hand in both of mine. He looked down at me in surprise, then hugged me to him. "You should not be here, little one."

"Must you go out into danger? Can you not stay inside with me? Where I can be with you?"

"My skills are most suited for where I will be, have no fears. I will be well and no one will harm you."

"Are you certain you'll not be harmed?"

"You have my word, little one. Go on now, go up to my room and wait for me."

"I do not wish to, can I not stay here and watch the portal as well? Help if someone comes through?"

"As it pleases you," he smiled slightly.

I knew what it was. He was pleased I asked to stay and not go and hide. That I wanted to help.

"We go now!" Alastor announced. "Stay linked, all of you!"

Rhys bent quickly and kissed the top of my head, then he was gone, hurrying out the front with Gwideon.

As the others dispersed, I began pacing, watching both the front hall and the portal.

It occurred to me suddenly, that if I were going to try to get away from here, away from all of this, now was the time. No one was watching for me or paying attention, I could slip out and get to my village! No one was looking there anymore, no one would be hunting for me! The witches wouldn't even be looking for me, they didn't even know about me! They were hunting the men.

The men...

Rhys...

I didn't want him harmed, but I didn't want to stay here either. Not with him or anyone else, or even one of the covens. I wanted to go home and try to find my papa.

It was now or never!

I started including the large front hall in my pacing, taking more and more time out there and only popping in to the portal room.

Usiah was hardly paying any attention to me at all.

The next turn out of the room, I hurried to the front door and barely opened it, slipping out quietly and shutting the door. I could see no one at all as I looked both ways and I darted out to the stables and looked again. When it was still clear, I hurried to the gate and slipped out, looking around and hurrying behind the wall where no one could see me. I peeked, looking up at the parapets as well, but I saw no one.

Staying low, I headed towards the woods where I knew my way better than anyone.

I was a bit surprised, and even a bit scared when I made it to the forest with no one stopping me. The Striggae wouldn't be in the forest though, would they? Not when they had a perfectly good road? I hurried, but stayed careful and quiet as I paid attention to everything around me. As much as I tried to hurry, I was moving too slow with as careful as I was being. The more it stayed quiet around me, the more bold I got and less careful I was. I was moving in favor of speed and less about making noise or staying low.

I knew I was getting close when things began getting super familiar to me. I was less than half an hour away!

I began moving even more quickly, smiling and excited. I hoped my papa was home! I hoped he was alive mostly, I hoped many of the villagers were, but I hoped him most of all. We were on the very edge of the woods, his little cobbers hut. Hopefully he had plenty of time and warning.

A hand suddenly closed over my mouth and I was born to the ground by a heavy body.

I let out a fearful squeak and closed my eyes in fear, hoping it wasn't one of the Striggae.

"Are you out of your MIND?" Gwideon hissed in my ear. "Didn't you hear us SAY this area would be crawling with their kind?!? Come on!" he whispered, getting up and staying low. He tossed a brown cloak around my white dress, then started leading me back into the woods.

"Wait! We are so close, can't I just see if my papa is alright?"

"No! That village is crawling with Striggae and their minions! Feasting on any villagers that managed to escape last night! Stay quiet!"

I felt sick, looking back behind me in horror. "We have to go help him!"

"There is no one left alive back there! No one! Now stay quiet and let's go!"

I followed him numbly, him holding my wrist and practically dragging me. I felt horrible and numb and empty.

"What the seven hells are you doing?" Gwideon demanded.

I blinked at him, then looked where he was looking. There were several deer moving close to us, moving along next to us as if guarding us. Directly behind us, a bear was following as if taking up the rear and guarding us from behind.

I turned back around, still numb and lost. "They're protecting us," I told him sadly.

"You're doing that?"

"Can we just go?"

He sighed, then started pulling me along again.

A little more than halfway back, Rhys came through the woods and froze, looking down at me in fury.

I looked up at him, still numb and lost.

The bear let out a roar and charged Rhys and Rhys immediately drew his sword.

"Don't you DARE hurt him!" I screamed, not knowing which one I was talking to.

The bear slowed and stopped, but put himself between Rhys and I. Rhys sheathed his sword and his eyes went back to me. "You're a selfish little bitch!" he hissed angrily. "We had to weaken our defenses to come and find you! To save you! We shouldn't have! We should have let you put yourself in their hands! You put us ALL in danger, not just those of us who left the Fortress to find you! What right do you have? Do you know..."

"Enough!" Gwideon whispered. "She is found, let's get back now!"

Rhys snarled, then spun and left. Gwideon began pulling me along again and this time the bear stayed close enough for me to touch. The deer moved in closer too, the two largest bucks leading the way. When I looked back, there was a bobcat following us now, his new position taking up the rear.

"How the seven hells are you doing this?" Gwideon asked wondrously.

"I don't know," I whispered back. Rhys had hurried ahead, too angry to stay and wait.

Gwideon looked over at me a few times. "Do you want free of him, Ecowyn?"

"I do," I whispered sadly.

"If you go to Alastor and tell him, he will take you from him. You could be mine instead... if you wished it. I would be good to you, take care of you and see you happy. I would never hurt you or compel you. I'd be a good husband to you."

"You misunderstood me," I told him harshly. "I want free of ALL of you. All of this! I just... want my papa! I want to go back to my life, and..." I broke down sobbing, my knees giving way.

Gwideon caught me and lifted me, moving more quickly now as he carried me. Seconds later, Rhys was taking me from him, holding me as I sobbed brokenly. "You must be quiet!" he growled, moving even more swiftly through the trees now.

As I lay in his arms and I could see up, I noticed several ravens flying above us, watching us, and two owls as well. Watching the skies. Keeping an eye on me.

They were all guarding me.

Turning, I hid my face in Rhys's chest and held on to him, heartbroken.

When we broke free of the trees, I could see that it was starting to get dark. All of the animals stayed with us and in the clearing I could see that there were more of them now. Small animals. Badgers, mongoose, rabbits, snakes, squirrels and out of the shadows moving stealthily around all of us, even all of the animals, was a pack of wolves. At least 20 of them.

"Fucking hell," Rhys breathed, looking around as he sprinted to the fortress. They stayed with us, all of them. Gwideon looked spooked as well when they all came in the gates and spread out inside the large enclosure inside the gates. Most slowed once they were in the gates and circled the wall as if they were taking up stations around the fortress. The wolves stayed outside the gate and kept watch from the outside and the birds all circled above.

The bear followed us all the way to the door and in, making Usiah a little wild eyed as we all came in.

"He's with her," Gwideon breathed, giving the bear a wide berth.

Rhys started to set me down, but I hugged his neck and held on tightly, not ready for him to let me go yet.

"Little one," he whispered, hugging me slightly. "I must go back out and keep watch!"

"The wolves are keeping watch outside the walls, and the rest of them on the inside. The birds will see anything coming from a long ways off. You can stay for a bit?"

"And how are they supposed to let us know that they see something?!?"

"They'll tell me," I told him.

"You can... speak to them?" Alastor asked from so close that I jumped and turned to look at him.

"I... not really? But I can sort of sense them? Like, they are all wary right now, on guard. Out there, they were protecting me, forming up around me to keep me safe."

Eliphas slipped in the door, his face pale. "There are a great many..." he paused, looking at the giant bear who was looking him over to ascertain whether he was friend or foe. "Ahhh... there are a great many animals out there..."

"Her new friends," Alastor spoke up, sounding amused. "Ecowyn, is there a way to let them know not to hurt our brothers?"

"They know what the bad ones smell like, the killers of all and readers of death. Anyone else, it depends on if they mean me harm or not."

"That's... very handy, isn't it?" Eliphas asked, surprised. "How come you didn't tell us of this gift?"

"It was stress induced," Gwydion spoke up. "She'd just found out her father and entire village were all surely dead, the Vamphyr would have found everything living in the night. She was upset and she was shutting down... they all felt it and came to her, forcing her gift to surface."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Eliphas told me gently, looking down. "You there, bear! Make sure she doesn't go haring off again!"

"He says his name is Henry," I told Eliphas.

"Can you truly speak to them now?" Alastor asked excitedly.

"No," I smiled wanly. "I was joking. But now his name is Henry."

Rhys let out a half snort of amusement and I hugged him harder, hoping he wasn't about to put me down. "Ecowyn, I can't..."

"Southeast! Two riders on horseback! Men!" I cried out, not even realizing it or understanding why. I did know then, when I could see the men in a birdseye view briefly. "Black and Red!"

"Eliphas! Gwydion! Ride out but only halfway in case it's a trap!" Alastor yelled. "I will call in the others! Rhys, stay with her in case she has another epiphany!"