Ecowyn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank the girl," Alastor smiled. "Ecowyn, I'm about to go to bed. Another Vinatorargenti will be here to take my place momentarily. Rhys, I have forbidden Cansanita entrance and access to Ecowyn. If she comes, remind her of the cost of defying me."

Rhys gave a single nod, then turned back to me. "Try to eat it all, Little One, you need your strength.

"So this is her, the beast queen," the man in brown smiled thinly, stepping closer and looking down at me. "Your gift is truly remarkable, I can see why the covens are already fighting over you and who should have you. I've also heard there is a question as to whether Venatorcandidas will be allowed to keep you. Some say Gwideon will win you from him. Is that so? Do you have feelings for Venatorbrunus Gwideon? Do you dislike the cold, uncaring and violent Rhys?" he asked, his eyes burning into Rhys as if there was anger there.

"I don't know what you mean? Why would I choose Gwideon? Rhys claimed me and we have already bonded as husband and wife... he is not cold or uncaring to me."

"I notice you left out violent," the man sneered.

"Oh, he is violent. Violent to any who might think to take me from him or harm me or his brothers. That I do not dispute. What I do dispute is all of you assuming that I do not care for him as he cares for me, as if he is some sort of unlovable monster. You call me the queen of beasts and perhaps I am. Rhys is my beast and I adore him. Go now and try to plant your dissent elsewhere."

The man raised an eyebrow, then looked at Rhys with a slight smirk. "She cares not for you, brother, but she will defend you to her dying breath. A bit sweet. Sort of like our mother, I suppose," he laughed as he left.

Rhys's face was red as he looked down.

"Is he your trueborn brother?" I asked him softly.

"He is."

"Why does he hate you so?"

"He doesn't... but we do have a rivalry of sorts. When we were much younger, too young to dedicate ourselves, before our family was killed by Striggae... there was a girl. He adored her and would have done anything she asked no matter what it was. He wanted to grant her heart's desire. It so happened her heart's desire was me. She was not my heart's desire, I had no feelings for her at all. She was my younger brother's little friend. I didn't take it seriously, but he did. He told me I was callous and cruel to dismiss her as I did, and I told him if he was so worried he could give her HIS heart. He'd done it already, but she pretended not to notice and treated him as only a friend. He did go to her and tell her that I wasn't good enough for her and he would love her. She laughed at him and told him she could not love him, he was as a brother to her. When I came to this cause, it was because our family was killed. He followed me into it because she was. He says he has forgiven me and doesn't hold it against me... but it must gall him now to see me with a girl when I've never had a care for one before. Especially not the girl he once worshipped. He also has never taken a companion. His heart is still hers though she is centuries dead. I think perhaps he begrudges me a bit of happiness now, even after so long."

"That's sad for him... what did he mean about your mother?"

His face reddened even more and he looked away. "Finish eating as best you can, Little One. You likely need more rest as well. I think I will take you up to our room to rest, lay down in an actual bed."

I only nodded and ate as much as I could.

A man in silver came in, watching Henrietta warily as he skirted around her. "Hello, Ecowyn I've been told much about you," the man smiled gently, but his smile didn't touch his eyes. "I'm Tovian. Your gift is manifesting quite remarkably. Tell me, can you feel it now, what's it like? Can you sense anything from them?"

I looked up at Rhys warily, then handed him the tray. As soon as he took it and set it down, I held my arms up to him and he picked me up. Laying my head on his shoulder, I hugged his neck and sighed.

"Excuse us," Rhys half snarled at Tovian.

Tovian quickly moved, looking confused as Rhys left with me. Henrietta and Bob followed and Ray followed quickly and lighted on Rhys's other shoulder.

"Infernal creature," Rhys muttered, but his eyes were shining.

"A moment," came a female voice.

I recognized it and I was guessing Rhys did as well since he kept walking, going up the stairs quickly. He glanced at Usiah coming down the stairs. "Let Alastor and the others know she is sleeping in our room now and I will send if anything happens."

"I will post someone on your door," Usuah nodded as he kept going.

"A moment!" Cansanita called again.

Henrietta let out a savage roar and Bob screamed again, which made me jump. Rhys chuckled darkly as he kept walking all the way to his room.

Sitting me on the bed, he turned me and began undoing my dress in the back, then sliding it off my shoulders gently, his fingers trailed along the skin all the way down my arms. Shivering, I sucked in a breath as goosebumps raised all along my arms. His hot mouth on my neck made me go still as he nuzzled in and kissed below my ear. Closing my eyes, I let his soft caresses feel as lovely as they were, trying not to be afraid of what they might lead to. Even when his hands moved back up my arms and around me, gently fondling my breasts, I only lay back on his shoulder and let it feel sublime. His left hand slid over to my right breast as his right hand slipped down under the dress that was now pooled around my waist, then into my underclothes as his fingertips explored. His mouth kissed trails along my neck and shoulder as he bit gently and sucked as well, making me squirm as I held onto his arm that was holding me.

When his fingertips found my bud, I twitched and gasped, then let out a small sigh of bliss as I melted against him completely.

"Do you really think this is wise, brother?" Gwideon demanded from just a few feet away.

My eyes snapped open and Gwideon was looking down at me, at my exposed chest and all the skin Rhys had exposed sliding his hand down.

"What are you doing here?" Rhys demanded, covering me quickly.

As soon as I was covered, Gwideon looked at Rhys instead of me. "I was told to stand on your door in case she has further news."

"Outside," Rhys snarled.

"What good would that do? I'd hear nothing out there."

"You will give us a moment! I will retrieve you when she lays down to sleep!" Rhys demanded.

"She needs rest now, not more of your... harm. Have you compelled her? Is that why she is so agreeable?"

"Get out!"

"I think not. Let her rest. Put your own needs aside and think of her and what she needs."

"Get out!" Rhys raged.

To my shock, it was Rhys Henrietta growled at, then Bob. Even Ray cawed from his perch on the headboard.

"You have compelled her to be languid and not resist you, haven't you?" Gwideon asked angrily. "After we all told you not to compel her anymore!"

"I didn't compel her to do anything! I'm not forcing anything on her!"

"Compelling her not to care is just as bad! It will still cause lasting harm!"

"GET OUT!"

"I will not! You will leave her here to rest alone, or I will summon all of our brothers and tell them what you have done! Go now, or I will take her to a private room!"

"You will not touch her," Rhys hissed.

Henrietta roared again, going up on her hind legs and threatening Rhys. Rhys yanked his sword from its sheethe as he stood and Bob screamed at him.

"If you harm them, I will never forgive you!" I cried out, yanking my dress up in confusion.

Rhys grimaced, then turned away, flinging his sword across the room with a scream of rage.

Gwideon quickly stepped in and tossed a blanket around me before picking me up and leaving with me, the animals following behind more slowly.

"Usiah! Get Fastion and Gerard! Have them come immediately to the night bay blue room. Tell no one else where she is! Unless Alastor wakes, you may tell him. Hurry!"

Gwideon practically sprinted, turning corners and going down more stairs than Rhys had taken me up. We were in some sort of deep underground part of the fortress and it was dark and cool.

"What happened?" I asked softly.

"He was compelling you again. To be languid and uncaring. To let him do as he pleased. It wasn't the same as compelling you not to fight, but it is along the same vein. Still wrong. Here now, here we are," he spoke softly, quickly pushing into a room. When the lights came on, I knew why he'd called it the blue room. It was done completely in dark blue and it was much more lush and lavish than Rhys's room was. Henrietta and Bob came in, both stalking in an irritated way. Ray was definitely grumpy at being so far underground and away from the open sky.

Going to the wardrobe, Gwideon pulled out a dark blue robe and handed it to me while looking away.

"You had no issues looking a moment ago," I scolded.

"I was bearing witness then, to his use of compulsion. It is very different. As strong as the compulsion was, I would not have thought you'd even remember it... it must be very much against your nature, the things he was forcing you to do... to allow. To say. You may change, i will not look. Then you may rest and I will stay over here by the door to see that you are not disturbed."

I hesitated then. "I had thoughts that you were a manipulator and a liar... not a good person at all... those were never my thoughts, were they?"

"As to that, I cannot say, but I can say I am who I am. I am not a manipulator. If I say a thing, I mean a thing. I do not lie, not even a hard truth. It was once a bone between Bonilla and I. She thought I was sometimes too honest and said a small lie so as not to hurt others feelings was fine. We compromised and I said nothing at all."

"She sounds like she was a lovely person," I told him softly. "I am covered now."

He turned and looked at Bob curled up on my lap and Henrietta in the bed next to me, then grinned. "Do you think they will be your constant companions from now on?"

"I'm not sure... but I do think that more want in to me now. I can feel a... pull. Like they are trying to get to me and they are being clocked somehow."

"I will see they are let in," he nodded. "As soon as the others arrive, I will do it myself and lead them down here."

"Thank you... Gwideon? Why do I feel so heartbroken instead of angry? I should be angry that he's been manipulating my feelings and thoughts, right?"

"It is for that reason that you are sad. He made you think you cared for him, so you are hurt now. It is a natural response and one of the reasons compelling another is so frowned upon. You can change a person's thoughts, their very nature. It is unfair."

There was a knock on the door, immediately followed by Fastion and Gerard.

"Gerard, stay here and guard her please, Fastion, with me! Gerard, do not let anyone in, especially Rhys if he finds his way down here."

He left with Fastion and I looked at Gerard sadly.

He gave me a soothing smile that looked very awkward, like he didn't know what to do. "Are you well, Little One?" he asked finally.

"I prefer to not be called that," I told him quickly. "Rhys calls me that."

"I see. Ecowyn then."

"Wyn is fine, it's what papa calls me. Called me. I'm... I don't know really. Physically I am well. A bit tired and achy, but not bad considering. Inside I am not well at all."

"I know," he called gently, his face full of understanding. "Rhys is a hard man to understand, and he approaches every problem with a hammer. He knows no other way. He does care in his own way... but not..."

"About me? Just about what he wants from me and what he wants me to be?"

Gerard blushed and looked at the wall. "I'm sure he does feel for you in his own way... he is just very hard to put into words. He is unlike anyone I have ever known. When Eliphas, the newest of us, came here, he told the cooks he loved lamb stew. Rhys told him he should try this venison soup his mother had made and he'd taught the cook to make. Jenny wasn't here then. Eliphas said no, he preferred lamb. Rhys was determined to make him try the venison... so, very slowly, he began changing the lamb stew on the days it was being made. Taking out an herb, putting in another, small changes, little things. Finally, after a year of this, he asked Eliphas how his meal was. Eliphas smiled and told him it was wonderful as usual. Rhys laughed and told him he was eating the venison soup. Eliphas only smiled and said, no brother. I noticed the first time you took out the cloves and I began making my own lamb stew for myself and let you put all of your effort into trying to fool me. I watched you and laughed to myself every time you gave me a smug smile as I would eat my delicious stew. The joke was on you, though, brother. The others told me how much they disliked the odd stew and how they always only ate a few bites before eating extra desert. I can only imagine you had to endure the unpleasant taste between the transition and it warmed my heart to know you were getting your just deserts. This did not sit well with Rhys at all. He was livid! So upset in fact, that he gave Eliphas wrong information and sent him alone into a coven instead of to the lone spy. He claims it was a mistake with the way it had been written, but none of us believed that. The very next week... they were out together with Gwideon and set upon and he saved Eliphas's life. It was as if HE could punish Eliphas, but no one else could. We do not understand his way of thinking, but that is how he is. He cares, but he does not. You understand?"

"I think so. He cares about owning me and having me as he wants me, but not me. He also cares about all of you not taking me from him. He wouldn't allow it... not for me, but because you are taking something from HIM that he wants."

"Yes."

"Do I have any choice in the matter?"

"Moreso now than you did now that it's obvious he has been compelling you again, despite being told not to. You could probably choose another if you wished it, or another could choose you. You might even be able to choose the coven."

"And if I wish none of them?"

"That is not possible, Wyn. You are a halfling and you are very powerful. Valuable. You will have to make a choice."

"I could choose no one here, he wouldn't let it stand and even so, I would not torment him that way. I suppose I must go to a coven, then. Will I have a choice? I do not wish to go to the one that Cansanita is in."

"If you choose to go to a coven, you mayn't have a choice on which one... but you may speak that you'd prefer any besides hers and they will listen. Understand even, as they know her temperment."

The door opened and Gwideon came in, followed by two wolves, a buck, a badger and the Fastion with an owl on his wrist.

I grinned and sat up as they all came in and shut the door.

"Gwideon apprised me of the situation," Fastion told me quickly. "He is right to keep you out of Rhys's reach for now. He may decide killing you is the better option than allowing another to have you. Alastor will know soon as well and we will keep you here until the Summit is called after the fighting and attack is over and all who can be saved are saved."

"Thank you," I told him from the floor, down playing with the two wolves who were basking in the attention and ear scratches.

"Thank you both," Gwideon told Gerard and Fastion. "I will leave it to you to fill Gerard in and if you wouldn't mind staying across the hall just for now, I would appreciate it."

"Of course brother," Fastion smiled. "Come, my Gerard, let's finish our... rest."

Gerard laughed wickedly as they left and I sighed sadly and let the wolves curl up around me.

Gwydion sat down in a chair near me and leaned on his knees. "Do you not feel like you could rest just now?"

"My heart is sad and my mind unquiet. I feel as though something is coming."

"Do you mean with the attack? Or within, like with Rhys?"

"I'm not sure, I only know there is a disquiet and it's making me nervous."

"I know a way of making you relax, but it would involve putting hands on you. On your head, anyway. Nowhere else."

"Do you think it will truly work?"

"Bonilla used to have me do it all the time when she was too long away from the sun."

I sat up and turned and he slid down to the floor until his legs were on either side of me. Sliding his fingers into my hair, he began placing his fingers in very deliberate spots, finding them one at a time and then pressing lightly until all of his fingers were in place. Once they were, he began a rolling pressure with each finger and it was almost as if each wave was chasing the stress and tension away. I let myself relax with a deep sigh as all the stress left me with an incredibly peaceful and very tired feeling.

I woke with a jerk as the door opened and Alastor strode in. He paused, looking me over and as he did, I realized I had slumped back against Gwideon to fall asleep. He had not moved a muscle once I had, allowing me to sleep.

"Fastion let me know what happened," Alastor spoke gently, looking around the room at all of the new additions. "Seems you are creating yourself a little menagerie. We might have to put you in the Kings suite to allow all the room."

"Queens suite. She is the Queen of Beasts now, so I've heard," Gwideon teased, stroking my hair back.

I sat up quickly, stretching my sore muscles.

"Usiah is bringing a tray with meals on it... Rhys has gone outside to fight alongside the wolves. His anger is... at a peak level. He's asked more than once where you are from everyone he comes across. When he asked me, I did not have to lie when I said I did not know, but Usiah told me only a moment later. He had no issues lying smoothly to Rhys. That man would not be rattled if the Fortress were crumbling around him! He would calmly see everyone out and follow along behind once everyone was done. Tell me, Ecowyn, how are you feeling?"

"Very rested and good, thank you."

"It's almost morning and most of the attacks have stopped. Your birds... there are a great many now, are circling wider and wider. Soon they will be all the way to the city in their circuits. They are speaking of calling the Summit sooner rather than later as opposed to waiting for all to make it here. If they could have used the hidden portals, they would have by now and made it here."

"Unless they are waiting for daylight," Gwideon spoke up, standing up now. "More will come!"

"All of the horses are back," Alastor told him sadly.

"That doesn't mean anything! Some of our brothers are leagues away! They will use the portals to get closer and then come here! The beacon is still being manned, isn't it?"

"Of course, Gwideon, do not fear. We will man it for a month if we need to. We will leave no one behind that can be saved. Ecowyn, do you feel as if you might be able to come and answer some small questions from a few of us in charge? Your coterie can come as well, of course, if it will make you feel more safe. And I will be there."

"I can come as well if you wish it," Gwideon spoke softly.

I glanced at him a moment, but turned away quickly. "If you think Rhys will try and find me," I told him, then went to Alastor and took his arm.

"Thank you, child," Alastor told me gently, opening the door.

All of the animals hurriedly following me, Bob and the owl moving ahead as if to scout the way. It was odd being in the narrow halls with so many animals, a bit crowded and tense.

Once we reached the top and Alastor led me up to a large hall with a huge archway at the end, Rhys stepped out in our path. His sword was drawn and he looked furious. His eyes went to me, then behind me to Gwideon. "Do you think to take her from me, brother?" he spat the last word like a curse.

1...34567...10