Elegy for a Star Ch. 082-100

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The antidote to the poison that the Storm King suffered from, immobilizing him deep beneath the oceans. This would be even more impressive were it not Nym that poisoned the Storm King in the first place.

Ozha's carving knife, a blade made of empowered coral, which the merfolk used to form the contours of the ocean floor.

Perhaps most impressive of all was in a glass container, shining light upon the room. The Archfey Sorscha's heart, queen of the Fey. Most amazing about this theft is that it wasn't her physical heart, but the emotional core. Miri had always respected that about Nym. He could steal anything, no matter if it was physical or metaphorical.

"So what do you want?" Miri asked, trying to hide the nostalgic feeling that she had at this moment.

Nym replied, "I miss my little nestling. Could I not invite you here just to spend time with you?"

"No," Miri replied, "And you know it. I know it. You don't feel like that. You never did. So stop toying and let's get on with it."

The Crow Lord nodded his head in understanding, "I'm going to light some incense, if you do not mind."

"Go wild," Miri replied.

Nym began this process, opening a golden ball and sprinkling various herbs into it. As he lit it and replaced the porous lid, he spoke, "I'd heard you came back. Did you enjoy your little sojourn with Eventide?"

"Not particularly," Miri responded, crossing her arms beneath her chest.

"And I'd heard you're with..." Nym snapped his fingers a few times, feigning forgetfulness.

"Tess," Miri replied.

"Ah, right," he said with a nod, inhaling some of the smoke from the incense, "You know, this is the second home you've fled from. Don't you think it's time to look inward a bit?"

"I have. I had no choice when it came to you. You stole me and fucked my head up. And you know why I went to Eventide," She looked around, "Where's Missi? You get her killed yet?"

"She's on the job. Back to the topic."

"Well, I had no choice with you. I had no control, no agency to say yes or no," Miri replied.

"I saved you from an early death. A meaningless life," Nym explained, "I blessed you with sapience and you are angry at me for it?"

"You and Her both."

"Tch," Nym scoffed, shaking his head, "Were it not for that, the Black Sun would've eaten us already. Don't forget that."

Miri couldn't. He was right about that part, "Just... What do you want, Nym? Let's get this over with."

"If you'd like," Nym replied, "We need to talk about Eventide, Krahe."

[End of Book One]

[Start of Book Two]

Chapter 88 - Miren

"We need to talk," Kofi pulled Miren aside as they ran into one another in Kravana Hall, "I need to make sure that this is legitimate, Miren."

"That what is legitimate, Captain?" Of course, Miren knew exactly what the Captain was talking about, but she always liked to play these sorts of games. It was something that she'd learned in the Winter Court: Don't tip your hand until you absolutely have to. Miren hadn't yet seen a reason to. These weaklings had never known what it was like to live in the Court--The real Court--or to serve an immortal lord. How much was a life worth when it was relatively so short-lived in the first place? The Corps was her way out of that life of fear and death, but that didn't mean that she had to like it.

Still, she might as well make the most of it. She'd only gotten to go into the Void once, during her exercise. She had someone there--a friend--that she missed terribly. Miren didn't make friends easily. It was difficult to do when everyone was so gullible--so immediately trusting. No one had their guard raised. Everyone was so vulnerable. They wouldn't understand her or what she'd been through, even if she deign it worthwhile to tell them.

"That you have so many points, Miren. That is impossible in the time you've been here," Kofi explained, brow furrowed. She expected Miren to have cheated. It was a fair assumption; She wouldn't say it out loud, but she remembered her training:

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. If you get caught, then you weren't trying hard enough."

Miren firmly believed in that credo.

"Captain, I assure you, it is the truth," Miren replied, holding her hands in a gesture of innocence, "I stayed up day and night to accumulate those points for the squad."

Kofi was still giving her an accusatory glare, "How? You would have to... how much sleep did you get?"

"About four hours a night, Captain," Miren replied, "Sometimes more, sometimes less." This time it was the truth. You needed to earn trust before you could use it to manipulate others.

"What did you do to earn the points?" Maupoissant inquired, "This is the same amount that the rest of the squad has earned together in almost the same time that you've been here."

Miren nodded, "I served voluntary extra duty: guarded the parapets, helped with the chow hall, organized the library... I worked as an assistant and tutor for the War of the Courts class."

"MIren, this..." Kofi replied, shaking her head in disbelief, "Your actions are going to earn us an assignment. From there, we'll be in the clear."

"That was my goal, Captain," Miren replied with a firm nod, "I was hoping to earn my place among the squad. You know how my kind are often treated, so far south."

A sympathetic look crossed Maupoissant's face; exactly what Miren hoped for.

Kofi had a smile on her face for the first time in a long while. A concern raised in Maupoissant's eyes, "There is something I wanted to talk to you about." Miren nodded her head and Kofi continued, "Gwendolyn is back. I would like your opinion about her in the squad. The others are... Well, they're too close. You haven't known her as long, but you have seen what she's done. I need your opinion so that I can make a choice."

Miren nodded, "Dame Gwendo-..."

"Just Gwendolyn. She was stripped of her status as a knight," the Captain instructed.

"Ah... right." Of course, Miren already knew, but it helped to sound as though she were out of the loop as much as possible, "I believe that Gwendolyn is a valuable member to the team. Not only as a warrior, but as a motivational power within the squad. Removing her might as well remove the others. They are bound together, as far as I have seen. Beyond that, I do think Gwendolyn is a core component of the squad. I would not wish to venture into the Void without her."

"I see," Maupoissant replied, "I appreciate your perspective on the matter." The Captain seemed to think for a while before adding, "And I appreciate your contribution to the squad. This will get us back into the Void and away from College jobs and probation."

"I am happy to be of assistance, Captain," Miren replied with a soft smile.

After this interaction, Miren departed to her dormitory room. Her roommate had refused to room with a Winter Fey, so Miren had the entire room to herself. She preferred it that way, of course; more room for her artwork. She managed to get a significant amount of paper from the librarian when she assisted with the organization of misplaced books. After that, all she needed was some charcoal, which was easy enough when she worked the kitchens.

She wasn't much of a fan of anyone seeing her work, so Miren never invited anyone into her dormitory. She kept it hung upon the walls that wouldn't be seen if she peeked her head out of the doorway. She only drew one thing. One person. It was all she could do to remember him, to idolize him. She wished that she could be with him, but for that, she needed to venture into the Void. Since her squad was too incompetent to get their own points, Miren would do it for them.

She just needed to find a home. She would live in the Void if that's what it took to be with him forever. He was the only one to ever understand her, having been through much of the same struggle as Miren. It was so unfair that they must be separated every time she returned. It made her feel ill.

Miren sat down upon the edge of her bed, resting her head into her hands. She didn't cry. She wouldn't cry. She couldn't remember the last time she had shown such weakness, but gods if she wasn't in pain. "I'm going to find a way," Miren spoke to nothing in particular, "I will live in the Void for the rest of my life."

Chapter 89 - No Forgiveness

Gwendolyn had given her holy symbol of Aros away some time ago, to one much more deserving of it. She'd met Citrine in her earlier days at the College and Corps, bonding over their shared devotion for the God of Zeal. Gwendolyn didn't deserve it now though, just like she didn't deserve her knighthood.

It was easier because Gwendolyn knew she didn't deserve it in the first place. She'd gotten her squiredom by royal connection, not by achievement. She wielded it like a social sword of clout rather than following its tenets.

Gwendolyn was never a knight; Now, at least, the rest of the world knew what she'd always known.

This was the first time she'd picked up a weapon since that fight against Admaris. Of course, it wasn't a real weapon. She wasn't allowed. Even worse, she wasn't allowed to practice with anyone. That meant no training courses. No spars. No real practice.

At least she had Tess.

"I'm ready," Tess said, preparing her wooden knives.

Gwen pointed her sword to Tess' feet, "Remember your stance. Your feet are too close together. You'll never keep balance that way."

"Oh, right," Tess said, taking a wider stance. If anything, it was too wide, but Gwendolyn didn't want bother her so much that she quit.

"Are you on attack, or me?" Gwen asked, holding her wooden sword in one hand.

"You," she responded.

Gwen stepped forward, jabbed with a sword. Tess dodged. She always did. The first strike was easy. The second? Not so much. Gwen twisted her arm and cracked Tess across the thigh.

"Ow," Tess sighed, rubbing at her leg, "Fuck."

"Your turn," Gwendolyn replied, "I'll defend."

When they repositioned themselves, Tess lunged forward, sliding through the snow on Gwen's side. Why does she do that so often? Gwen hopped to the side, even if Tess' attack was already clumsy. As Tess rose, she flicked an arm and threw a knife at Gwen. She was able to twist to the side enough that the wooden stake only glanced her upper arm.

"Nice!" Gwendolyn replied, nodding her head, "That was the first time you got me."

"Yeah," Tess laughed, "I thought that might work."

"Only problem," Gwen stepped forward, helping Tess to her feet, "I'd have a little scratch and you'd be down a weapon. Got to hit home with that one or it isn't worth it."

Tess nodded her head. The two women stood close to one another, facing each other, looking into each others' eyes. Tess was so pretty. Those green doe eyes were captivating; her reddened cheeks and the innocent little smile on her face. Gwen loved it all. Tess had a little strand of hair stuck to the sweat on her forehead, slipping down the side of her nose. Gwen reached up, pulling it aside and tucking it behind Tess' ear.

"Thanks," Tess replied softly. Gwen knew that the short blonde wanted to kiss her. In truth, Gwendolyn wanted to kiss Tess, too. How could she, though? After what she did? Tess had Mairaela; The Summer Fey would be a much better, worthier match for her. Gwen took a step back, turning away.

She wanted to change the conversation, "Have you heard from Miri yet?"

Tess shook her head, "I haven't heard her in a while. She's gone quiet, but never for this long before." Tess chewed her lip in thought, "Should I be worried? Did she... I don't know, die somehow?"

"Not sure how she could, without you even noticing. Maybe she's just... I don't know. Napping?" Gwendolyn shrugged, "Not sure how much sleep demons need."

"You know what? Tess mentioned, and Gwendolyn gave her a curious look, "I don't think she is a demon." Tess explained, "Demons don't have gifts, and Miri has two."

"Right. 'Performance.' Honestly, last time I saw the two of you... you know, I'd say that you were the one with the sex gift," Gwen replied, "Here, get your weapon, let's keep working."

Tess was grinning at Gwen's comment as she went to get her knife. She was happy that she could make Tess smile still. Tess treated Gwendolyn as if nothing happened. Gwen wasn't sure if that was better or worse than Tess hating her. She wanted punishment. She did something terrible and dangerous to an ally in the Corps. Was that what she did to Madame Pava? Tess looked to be in rough shape, but maybe Pava was helping her. Gwen killed her in a fit of rage, just like she tried to do to Admaris.

The thought formed a pit in Gwendolyn's stomach.

Before she knew it, Tess was rushing her again. Wasn't it Gwendolyn's turn? Oh well. This time, she didn't slide, but she did leap. It was clumsy still, and Gwendolyn simply put her blade in Tess' way. Unable to maneuver in the air, Tess landed chest first into Gwen's blade. Were it a real sword, she would've been impaled, depending on her armor.

"Why do you do those things?" Gwen asked.

"What things?

"The leaps. The slides. They're impractical and you're wasting your balance and effort."

Tess shook her head, "I've seen them. They're good."

Gwen looked dubious, "Seen them where?"

"You're just going to think I'm crazy."

After the way in which she met Tess, Gwen knew that anything could happen around this girl. "Just tell me," Gwen said, rolling her hand in the air.

"I've been having these dreams," Tess explained, "And I know what you're thinking, but they're more than dreams. They're so vivid. I can feel the exhaustion. I can feel the wind. I can... I can feel the emotions and the pain. I am the person in the dream."

"Who's the person in the dream?" Gwen asked. To her surprise, this was equally as unbelievable as anything else Tess has done or said.

"That one Heroic Divine; Krahe."

Gwen cracked a smile.

"See? I knew you'd think I was just crazy."

Gwen shook her head and held up her hands, "Sorry, it's just... how? Why?"

"I don't know, but... I've had the dreams ever since Madame Pava did whatever she did."

Gwen nodded. She remembered that part.

"It took me a while to remember, but she said she was folding my soul, to look back at past or future me's." Tess explained.

The thought dawned on Gwendolyn before Tess had to explain, "You think you're Krahe? Just... reincarnated?"

Tess nodded her head, "I was fighting with Howlcrag not long ago and I could do everything that Krahe did in my dream. I beat him. Again and again, I could beat the Sergeant, and it wasn't even a difficult fight."

"Can you do it now?" Gwen asked.

"Probably," Tess replied, "But Miri said it was dangerous."

'Yeah, well, Miri put an arrow through Mairaela's throat."

Tess opened her mouth, but Gwen shut her down with a chuckle, "Don't you dare say it."

Tess smirked and closed her mouth, "Alright."

"In any case," Gwendolyn replied, "Miri isn't always right. We should give it a shot. You never know if you might need it, dangerous or not."

Tess nodded her head and whispered to her knives, "Born from blood..."

Gwen raised an eyebrow. She shrugged and said, "It's my turn, right?"

Tess nodded and Gwen approached with a calm, balanced stance. When she got close, Tess jabbed at her with a blade, so Gwen used her more impressive reach to swing vertically toward Tess' shoulder. The young woman slipped to the side, bringing up a boot and kicking Gwendolyn's grip. Gwen was too skilled to lose her hold on her blade, but it did delay her.

In the time it took to bring her blade back toward Tess, the woman had mocked a series of slashes all over Gwendolyn's weak points. Gwen was so baffled and surprised that she couldn't muster words. She only stared blankly at the grinning Tess.

"My turn," Tess said.

Chapter 90 - Love and Hate

"I just want to talk," Miren said as Mairaela stomped away down the hall.

"I have nothing to say to you," the Summer Fey replied, "Nothing that would be appropriate for a public audience, anyway."

"Have I done anything--me, personally--that offended you?" Miren asked, chasing after Mairaela. Mairaela had no intention of replying. She was furious at that Winter Fey! First she accosted Tess against a wall, lied about her name, showed off for her sparring, and now she was turning the whole team against her by bringing up their points so much that Mairaela looked like the mean one?!

When Mairaela didn't reply, Miren caught her arm and pulled her around.

"I'm serious, Mairaela," Miren said, "What have I done to you?"

"I know how the Winter Court is," Mairaela spat, "It's only a matter of time before you use us for your own gain, somehow, someway."

Miren held her arms out innocently, "Don't you think there's a reason that I left the Court? I am so hated outside of its borders, and yet I chose life here, rather than there. Why do you think that is?"

"I don't know," Mairaela said with a shake of her head, "But I do know that it's for some selfish reason or personal gain. I've never known a Froster to do anything otherwise."

Miren let out a sigh, "What did my people ever do to you that your people did not do to us?"

"Other than wipe out two entire Courts?"

Miren frowned sympathetically, "It takes two to go to war."

"You took our people and press ganged them into slavery," Mairaela escalated.

"You tortured ours," Miren replied, "Falling into the hands of Avourel Yllaven and the ministry of Hellebore is a nightmare each of our soldiers share." Miren frowned, "As fucked as it is, at least we let yours sleep at night and eat three meals."

Mairaela had heard rumors of the tortures. She never heard anything to deny them, either. She always thought it was worth it to do these things to monsters that would see their homes torched and torn down. Miren wasn't a monster, though. She was just a person. The fact that Miren was winning this argument made Mairaela feel sick.

Mairaela gestured urgently toward Miren, "I can't trust you. I can't. I don't want to be friends with you, Miren."

Miren frowned, "I see." She rubbed at her brow, careful not to disturb her immaculate hair, "Not friends. We're stuck together, though. So let's at least try to... tolerate one another?"

Mairaela let out a sigh and shrugged her shoulders, "We'll see, Miren. We'll see what happens when we get into the Void."

Miren nodded her head, turned about, and began to walk off. Even just the click of her heels made Mairaela grind her teeth.

Afterward, since Tess and Gwen were off doing their own thing and Joyona was nowhere to be found, Mairaela decided to go to the chow hall for some dinner.

Once there, Mairaela immediately spotted Joyona at one of the tables. She hurried over and got the giant's attention, "Hey!"

Joyona turned to look over her shoulder and nodded at Mairaela.

"I'm going to grab some food and be right back; don't go anywhere!"

Joyona nodded once again.

Mairaela did as promised and went through the food lines. Today's dinner was little more than stale bread, some cheese and sausage and a few cuts of carrots. Mairaela had gotten used to the state of the bread. It wasn't her favorite of course, but it wasn't causing her to lose her appetite anymore. She took her food and collected some mystery juice before she made her way back to Joyona.

Joyona was already done with her food, so Mairaela was glad that she asked the Evigkin to stick around. "Hey," Mairaela said with a big smile, "I don't mean to keep you. You can go if you want, but I was just hoping for some company while I ate."

"I'll stay," Joyona replied simply.

Mairaela passed her a smile, "Thank you."

It had been some time since Mairaela asked Joyona to attend the Corpsman's Ball with her. The refusal had left Mairaela confused. She wasn't used to being rejected, but she supposed that she wasn't the Evigkin's type. "That's totally okay," Mairaela told herself, "Not everyone has to be infatuated with me." She could only laugh at the suggestion of anything else. Still, she wondered why it was such a disappointment to her; She was usually very understanding of that sort of thing. Maybe she liked Joyona more than she thought. Maybe she was misreading something.