Elf Maidens of Thurn Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The area isn't entirely deserted. A herd of deer have occupied the eastern part of the settlement. Their presence means that it is unlikely that wolves are nearby. However, a hibernating bear could be anywhere, so we need to be watchful. Akenehi warns everyone to stay close and not to wander off. I suspect her warning is directed at Cassandra and me, as much as everyone else.

We locate what must have once been the market square. A decrepit ruin on one side of the square could have been anything from a temple to a fortress. The roof has gone and large sections of the timber walls have rotted away, but the basic structure is still discernible. We pass through the square and soon come to a river flowing west to east. There are signs that a timber bridge once spanned the river, but what's left of it does nothing more than mark it's former location. We must either turn upstream or downstream, or find some means of crossing the river.

"We will camp in the large ruins in the square until we find a place to cross the river," says Akenehi.

There is an hour or so before it goes dark. Impatient to continue our journey, Akenehi sends Makareta and Horowai along the river in opposite directions to see if there is a suitable place to cross nearby. They each take two adolescent elves with them in case they run into wild animals. Cassandra and I take the opportunity to study the ruins of the building in which we are encamped.

"How long do you think these buildings have been abandoned?" asks Cassandra.

"I'm not sure. The cold climate may have slowed the timber's rate of decay, but I would only be guessing. From the size of the trees growing inside some of the buildings, I think the settlement must have been abandoned at least a hundred years ago."

"Yes, I agree. But probably no more that two hundred years, or all the timber structures would have decayed to nothing.

"But why build a settlement here in the first place?" muses Cassandra. "The number of buildings suggest the population was at least a hundred people, probably more. There is nothing around us but trees. There are no hills or outcrops that might offer minerals for mining. The climate would deter any form of agriculture. There's only the river which flows to who-knows-where."

Akenehi joins us and we share our deliberations with her. By now, we are several days journey from any other habitation, Thurnian or elven. The wilderness extends north and east as far as the eye can see. Only the distant High Ridge marks any form of boundary to the west. If Akenehi is looking for a remote location to set up a new elven community, we would be hard pressed to find anything more remote than here. But Akenehi hasn't revealed her intentions for the commune beyond moving north into the wilderness.

"Hmm. This discovery is an unexpected surprise," says Akenehi after a few moments thought. "From what you say, it might be worth our while exploring the river east to see where it goes. I suspect that if we travelled west we would find that the source of the river is that lake shown on one of the maps."

The scouting groups return shortly after it turns dark to report that there are no suitable places to cross the river nearby. That's not surprising since the river will be running high at this time of year, overflowing any possible fords in the river. We could make a raft to cross the river, but Akenehi decides that we shall remain camped here for a few days while another scouting group explores further along the river bank. Her decision is the excuse for an impromptu party and all that entails.

Is this abandoned settlement to be our future home, or is it merely a way-point in our travels? For the time being we are content to enjoy the break in our journey. Spring isn't too far away, which means Cassandra's and Egbertha's babies will be due in a few weeks. I shall certainly suggest to Akenehi that we wait here until the babies are born.