Embracing Home Ch. 06

Story Info
Lucy learns of past pain and present joy.
2.2k words
4.69
4.9k
6

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SE16
SE16
136 Followers

"Who did Edward kill?" Lucy tried to keep her voice calm though she felt inches away from falling apart. The pain Jackson felt was clearly visible in his eyes. It was almost too much to take.

"My brother Louis. And my father, the former Alpha."

"Oh my god, Jackson. I'm so sorry." A tear fell down Lucy's cheek as Jackson's pain transferred through their mate bond. She reached for him, gently squeezing his torso in her arms. "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

Jackson took a few deep breaths before continuing. "It was years ago, but talking about it sends me right back to that time..."

"You don't have to keep going if you don't want to." She offered.

"No, you should know. It's an important part of DeLane Pack history at this point, actually." Jackson ran a hand through his messy hair. "You've been an Alpha for a bit of time now. Tell me, love, what does being 'Alpha' mean to you?"

Lucy stared off in the distance, thinking through her answer. She thought back to her discussions with Adam and her promise to keep his secret, she remembered communicating with Melanie's babies through her pregnant belly. She thought of helping the Omega, Gil, when those boxes fell on top of him in the hallway. "It means responsibility. Taking care of those around you. It's... it's a promise to the pack."

Jackson brushed his fingers on her cheek before leaning in for a soft kiss. "You're perfect, mate. I hope you see that." He kissed her again, briefly. "And I couldn't agree more. But... some people don't see the Alpha position that way. Some are clouded by greed. And power. Wealth, too, maybe."

"Edward?" Lucy guessed.

Jackson shrugged. "He and Vanessa, his mate, were inseparable. They did everything together. Honestly, I found it kind of gross at the time, really." Jackson laughed humorlessly and Lucy smiled back with encouragement. "Then when she got pregnant, we were all so happy. Pups are a blessing to a pack."

Lucy nodded. Her friend Melanie's pups were due any minute and it seemed like everyone in the pack was sharing in the joy and anticipation. She could only imagine how Jackson must've felt for his brother.

"The birth was... rough. Vanessa didn't make it. Only one pup survived." Jackson stared at the ground.

One pup survived. Jackson had one nephew.

"Tyson."

He nodded. "Edward completely unhinged. He couldn't take it. Knowing what I know now about mates...well, I'm not sure I could take it either..." The pair hugged each other tightly. Jackson continued his tale in a whisper, not daring to remove himself from the arms of his mate. "Edward refused to care for the baby. He blamed Tyson for what happened to Vanessa. So we all stepped in to raise the baby- my father, Aunt Mae, even I helped as much as I could."

"You all did a wonderful thing. You saved Tyson. You should be proud of that." She rubbed his cheek with her own. "How old is he? When did all of this happen?"

"It's been a few years. Maybe 20 or 30? We don't really think about time the same way humans do. Tyson only just became old enough for the mating ceremony."

Lucy remembered when she first met Tyson and his mate, Emma, just a few short weeks ago. They were so young and in love, absolutely infatuated with one another. If Jackson and his family hadn't stepped in, Tyson may not have lived. Emma might have never met her mate. It was a terrible thought.

"I think I'm starting to understand why you keep him so close," Lucy whispered.

Jackson nodded. "He didn't ask to be born into that. He was only a baby... But even without Tyson in front of him, Edward's mind continued to slip. Some time later, he became convinced that being Alpha would fill the void within him. He thought the power would ease his pain. We all tried to talk to him. Hell, we even reached out to other packs for guidance but no one could get through to Edward. So we did what we had to do. We locked him in a cell in the basement. For the safety of the pack."

Lucy rubbed her mate's back as he pressed on. "One night the pack went out for a run. Louis stayed behind to guard Edward. When we got back, Hank, Father and I went down to check on Edward. And there he was. Standing over Louis... With a piece of Louis's throat hanging from his mouth."

Lucy gasped. For the briefest moment she saw the scene in her mind, as if she had been there. Blood pooling around a young man lying lifeless on the floor. His brown eyes open, but not seeing.

Suddenly the image was gone.

Jackson cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, mate. I didn't mean to share that with you. I'm...I'm sorry."

She hushed him as she ran her fingers through his hair, massaging his scalp. "Let me be here for you. In any way that you need right now." They sat in silence for several moments, feeling his grief wash over both of them.

Lucy got the feeling that the story didn't end there.

"Father was enraged when he saw what had been done to Louis. Louis was basically what you'd consider a teenager at the time. Just a bit younger than Tyson is now. Edward must've talked him into opening the cell somehow, must've taken advantage of the kid's kind heart... Father was an excellent fighter, really. I mean, he was the DeLane Alpha, so it kind of goes without saying. But his rage clouded his judgment. He lunged for Edward, but he missed a step or miscalculated or something and before I knew what was happening, he was gone too."

Lucy squeezed her mate tighter still.

"And when Edward turned on me..."

"You did what had to be done." Lucy finished for him.

"No. No, that's just it. I didn't. I froze! I fucking froze!" Anger started to boil under Jackson's skin. He pushed Lucy's arms, untangling himself from her hug, refusing himself her comfort.

Lucy could tell Jackson's wolf would appear at any moment. She tried to offer as much support and love through their mate bond as she could muster, but he was trying just as hard to shut her out.

She spoke, "Jackson, it's not your fault. None of this is your fault! Please, keep talking to me. You clearly need to get this out."

Jackson was hearing none of it. He stepped away, preparing for the shift.

Lucy tried one last direct question, "Jackson, what happened to Edward?"

In nearly the blink of an eye, the black wolf appeared before her. He took a few paces away before turning back to his mate. "Edward went for me and Hank went for Edward. Hank was faster."

And the black wolf darted deeper into the forest as fast as his legs would carry him.

***

Lucy walked back to the estate house alone. Despite frequent attempts to reach Jackson through the mate bond, she was getting nothing.

She decided with a sigh to let him have his space. An Alpha alone in a forest that he'd explored for almost two hundred years wasn't exactly something to worry about. But her mate was in pain; her wolf longed to go to him. Her human side knew that his wounds were far too deep for her to heal.

As she approached the house, two shiny cars raced down the driveway to just outside of the front doors. Lucy saw her friend Briana's thin arm open one of the vehicle doors.

"Bri!" Lucy called out as she jogged over. "What's up? What's going on?"

Jeremy raced out of the driver's seat of the other car and in a flash, he circled to open the passenger seat. Melanie was inside, face red and drenched with sweat, clutching her big belly. Jeremy carried his mate in his arms through the large doors to the house.

Lucy ran close to Briana, following the couple. "I guess it's time." She said simply.

"Seems that way. Where's Alpha?" Briana asked quietly.

Don't ask. Lucy thought to her friend. Briana shot her a confused sideways glance but luckily didn't press the issue. Lucy wasn't sure how Jackson's emotional state would be received by the pack and she certainly didn't want to betray her mate's confidence. She resolved to say as little as possible about it until he returned.

Pack members opened doors for Jeremy and the others as they made their way downstairs to the infirmary. Dr. Gibson was already inside, arranging her supplies. When they entered the room, the woman smiled from ear to ear.

"By Luna's good grace, it's time for me to meet my grandbabies!!" She ran to hug her daughters and son-in-law. She wrapped Lucy into an equally warm embrace, "Oh, Madam Alpha I'm so glad you're here to see this. It's truly one of life's great miracles! Pups are a blessing to the pack." The joy radiating off of Dr. Gibson was infectious. Lucy's worries started to seem a bit smaller just from being around such radiant joy.

Dr. Gibson was born and raised in Pine Creek in the DeLane Pack. She attended human medical school (no small feat as a black woman in those days) before returning back to Pine Creek. She had been the DeLane Pack healer for many years. There was no doubt that her werewolf senses helped her in diagnosing and treating ailments, but Lucy was starting to suspect she had some magical ability to breed positive energy all around her.

Or maybe she was just really, really lovely. Either way, Lucy couldn't get enough of the woman.

Dr. Gibson stroked Melanie's hair as Jeremy sat her down and began removing the pregnant woman's clothing. A large spa tub was just outside the infirmary on a large outdoor patio. Birthing outside, ideally under the moon, was supposed to provide good luck to the family. Once Melanie was settled in the tub, Dr. Gibson started to softly sing to her daughter, while she continued to stroke Melanie's curly hair, trying to take her mind off of the pain. Briana walked over and joined in the song.

"How are you holding up?" Lucy asked Jeremy gently. She stood next to him, leaning against the wall next to the tub.

Jeremy sighed. "I don't know, Madam Alpha... I'm worried about her. I'm worried about the pups. I'm worried about all of it." He leaned his head back against the wall. "I don't know what I'd do..."

Lucy was struck with the memory of Jackson's story. Of Vanessa DeLane, who died in childbirth. Her mate, who in his grief, lost his mind and almost destroyed the pack as they knew it.

Jeremy. She spoke to her friend mentally. You've got this. They say it takes a village to raise children, and you've got the whole pack! And from what I hear, you're an excellent mate and will be a wonderful father. She's lucky to have you.

Jeremy smiled back at her words.

And we all know you're damn lucky to have her! The two both laughed heartily, breaking the somber mood.

"I know you better not be laughing at me, Jeremy!" Melanie screamed through a contraction. "These are your pups in here doing this to me!"

The rest of the group (even Dr. Gibson) bit their lips to keep from laughing and risk further upsetting Melanie.

Jeremy stood behind Melanie and leaned over to place a kiss on her forehead. "Mate, these are our pups. And you're doing a great job bringing them into this world. I love you." He placed another kiss on Melanie's lips.

"Nice save!" shouted Briana jokingly.

For the next few hours, the group sat swapping stories and memories. Telling old jokes. Remembering the good times gone by in preparation of the new adventure that was about to begin.

The sky got increasingly dark, day turning to dusk. Briana and Dr. Gibson rubbed Melanie's arms and back, supporting her when she wanted to walk, and bracing her through each wave of contractions.

"Do you remember the lullaby we used to sing when you girls just refused to go to sleep?" Dr. Gibson asked as Melanie geared up for another strong contraction.

Briana nodded and gripped her sister's hand as Melanie clenched her teeth. Briana started to sing,

"Come to the forest,

Swift through my trees.

Down in the valley

What wonders you'll see,"

Dr. Gibson joined her daughter,

"Jump over the hills

And race 'long the river,

The message you'll hear

And must soon deliver,"

Tears clouded Lucy's vision as the women continued to sing the soft melody. Melanie's mate rubbed her back and she squeezed the hands of her sister and mother.

The clouds in the sky separated and the light from the moon shone down around them.

A moan released from Melanie's lips. Dr. Gibson turned and shot a smile at Lucy- the pups were nearly here. "Just one more push, and the first will be out," she whispered to her daughter, hand reaching down to check the progress. Briana nodded to her mother and they continued on to finish their song,

"We are the chosen,

A break from the norm.

The Children of Luna,

The ones who take two forms."

A high-pitched cry rang out as the first baby broke through the water's surface and was bathed in the light of the moon.

SE16
SE16
136 Followers