Empty World Ch. 03

Story Info
The storm, new faces, a fight, a tryst and a half, the sun.
8.8k words
4.71
3.4k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 11/26/2023
Created 09/19/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
32inch
32inch
469 Followers

A necessary disclaimer: this is a story about a group of adults, traumatized by their life experiences, trying to survive, stay sane and find love in the post-apocalyptic world. This is a slow burn story, so if this is not your cup of tea, find something else to read. Also, all characters are 18+ years old.

You've been warned.

Love,
Cy~

Empty World

Chapter 03

Riders on the storm
Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born
Into this world we're thrown
Like a dog without a bone
And actor out on loan
Riders on the storm

The Tower was silent. Howling of the storm and the sound of water pouring down from the sky blended into white noise, barely heard in the background. The trio -- Max, mildly annoyed, arms crossed, Lu, frowning, hands on her hips, Molly, terrified, tugging at the sun dress she chose to wear today -- stood before the wall of displays, watching the cataclysm unfold. Water level under the bridge was rising rapidly; interstate the bridge connected to nearly disappeared behind the wall of rain.

"Cleanup will take a month", Max observed. "We'll be lucky if the trees on the island survive the storm."

"I'm more worried about Ravenswood," Lu muttered. "We haven't had a storm like this in a decade, a lot of houses won't hold."

"No casualties at least. We can clear the roads, that'll be enough. Let nature reclaim the rest."

Molly suddenly gasped and pointed at the central display, showing the far end of the bridge. Small white compact emerged from the storm and made a dangerous turn to enter the bridge. It skidded on the wet concrete and hit the railing, sending it into the river, two front wheels helplessly spinning above the water.

"Mother, garage doors!" Max bolted to the exit.

"Take the Mammoth, keys in the ignition!" Lu ran after. "Use the winch! Molly, hold the fort!" Molly, wide-eyed, froze in place, just following Lu with her eyes.

Max didn't stop for a second, running into the garage. Garage was lit but the doors remained closed.

"I'm sorry, Max, I cannot let you do this," Mother's voice was almost sad.

"The fuck are you talking about? Open the fucking doors!"

"Probability of a successful rescue mission -- less than 20%."

"Mother, I will go with him!" Lu evaluated the situation immediately and jumped into the driver's seat, turning the key. Mammoth roared.

After an infinitely long second, garage doors trembled and started to rise, water from outside immediately making drains overflow. Max jumped into the shotgun seat, Lu backed out of the garage, nearly catching the roof on the half-opened shutter door, did a dangerous 180 once they've cleared the wet concrete up-ramp and accelerated toward the gates.

The car already slipped forward a bit and was hanging on the edge in a dangerous balance. Max jumped out of the Mammoth the second it stopped several yards away, grabbed the winch hook and, sliding to the compact, attached it to the rear bumper. He rose, lit by the headlights, water cascading down his shoulders, and waved.

"Pull!" His voice covered the roar of the storm for a second. Lu pushed the button on the dashboard, cable strained but the small car didn't budge, held in place by broken concrete and railing. She put the Mammoth in reverse, but felt the wheels slip and skid -- the bridge was too wet.

Max grabbed the hatch and pulled it open.

"Out of the car! Through here!" He barked to the two passengers inside. Scrambling hurriedly, they squeezed through the back of the car to the outside, one by one, Max helping them stand and directing them to the Mammoth. He unhooked the cable and, with some effort, returned to his seat, a sudden gust of wind nearly throwing him away.

"Take us out of here," he looked out the window in the direction of upstream. "Shit, Lu, make it fast!" Lu followed his gaze -- a huge wave, higher than the bridge, was rolling down the river. She kicked the pedal, doing another risky 180 on the spot and sped up to the tower.

Half a minute later the wave covered the bridge, washing the small car down into the river.

Shutters started to close the second Lu backed the Mammoth into the garage. Max jumped out of the truck and nearly lost his balance -- Molly ran into him, hugging him tight and hiding her face in his drenched jacket.

"I was so scared for you," she mumbled, trembling and not letting him go.

"Shh, Mols, it's okay, see? We're back, no one got hurt," he gently stroked her hair. Lu killed the engine, jumped out and joined them, hugging Molly from behind.

Back doors of the truck opened, letting new arrivees out, letting the trio finally get a better look at them.

First woman was young, no older than early twenties, a bit shorter than Molly, with a heap of curly hair dyed deep purple, which somehow perfectly contrasted her coffee-with-a-bit-of-cream skin. She shivered and took off the wet oversized hoodie, revealing her pear-shaped figure -- small frame with modest, but perfectly shaped breasts, outlined by her tight t-shirt, and wide hips, barely contained by her cargo pants.

The other one was in her late forties, almost as tall as Max, her short curly hair was naturally black and her skin the darkest espresso. Her curvy figure of perfect proportions would put a lot of models to shame, but even hidden by a trench coat and a pair of tight jeans, still screamed years of hard physical labor.

The two were unmistakably related. The younger one turned to Max.

"Hi, I'm Tawny! Call me Tee. She/her, if someone cares," her puffy lips spread in a genuine smile, showing perfect teeth.

The older woman turned her face to Max too. Her pupils were nearly white.

"Hello, I'm Georgia," she said, her rich throaty voice giving out her exhaustion. "Thank y'all for saving our asses."

Max extracted himself from the hug.

"Happy we made it in time," he smiled. "I'm Max. Welcome to the Tower. Girls," he looked at the women beside him, still locked in embrace. "Play the welcoming committee, please, will you? I got something to take care of."

Lu turned to the women as he left, and smiled.

"Let me show you to your rooms and get you something dry to wear!"

--//--

Max entered the security room and closed the door behind him. He stopped in the middle, folding his arms, and looked at the screen.

"Mother, explain yourself."

"As I've told you before, the probability of success was quite low. We cannot afford risks like that."

"Don't give me that bullshit! What we cannot afford is to lose any more people!" He shouted, then added in a low menacing tone. "I demand full disclosure."

The displays flickered and went off for a second, then turned on again. Middle-aged woman of clearly middle-eastern origin looked back at him. The picture was noisy and glitchy -- Mother was generating her looks in real-time. The woman smiled tiredly.

"We cannot afford to lose you, Max," she said. "Two new arrivals confirm my projections -- you might very well be the last male alive, and in reproductive age. Not only that, but you are also the most capable survivor and a natural leader. You are the main pillar of society now."

"So I'm not only a shepherd, I'm also a bull. Nice," he frowned, slightly disturbed by her presentation.

"You can pick any title you like," she suddenly smirked. "We are currently in one of the low probability variations of the main scenario, our preparedness ratio is 72%, but rising fast -- thanks to your actions. Now's not the time to be offended, Max, you've got a mission."

She paused. Her smile grew sultry, sending a shiver running down his spine.

"And from what I know about your kind, you might rather enjoy your new role."

Situation was getting weirder and weirder with each passing second. Is her behavior even normal like this, he thought. I used to fight military, terrorists, guerillas -- not fucking robots. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

"What are you?" He tilted his head, looking at the screen -- right into her eyes.

"I'm Mother, Max. You named me, remember? And as a mother, my job is to make sure you kids don't fuck up too much."

Displays flickered once again, switching back to cameras. Audience was over.

--//--

"...Yeah, Illinois is still pretty cold this time of year," Max heard Georgia, entering the canteen where the women sat around the table with their food trays -- breakfast time. She and Tawny changed -- Georgia picked loose slacks, flannel shirt and sneakers, Tawny, surprisingly, was dressed in a blue maintenance suit. It must be the pockets, he thought, ordering his bacon and eggs. Everybody loves pockets.

"No power or heating -- we decided to try south, Mama G grew up in Charlotte. We heard your broadcast when we were just out of Columbus," Tawny nodded to Max. "Just static at first, but it got stronger as we moved south-east, and... well, here we are."

"That storm just came out of nowhere," Georgia shook her head. "Never heard anything that scary before..."

"Well, we're all safe inside," Max smiled, sitting at the table. "Rest and enjoy your new home."

"You-- you're not kicking us out when the storm ends?" Georgia was cautious. "Just askin'."

"Of course not. You're officially residents of the Tower now," he shrugged.

"Thank you, Max," Georgia smiled and nodded. Tawny just grinned.

"So what's the plan for today?" Lu asked when they left the canteen together and walked to the service elevator.

"Storm won't let us out, so your mall run is postponed. We don't have any actual duties right now, so we chill," Max shrugged. "I think Tawny and Georgia would like to rest and relax?" He turned to them.

"Relax sure sounds good. I'd suck a dick for a blunt right now," Georgia responded. "My bag with the best medical weed in Chicago was in that car..."

Lu snorted.

"I'll hook you up once the weather clears," she giggled. "Best shit we've confiscated over the years is still in the police station -- and I have keys!"

"It would be nice to have some actual entertainment for non-stoners," Tawny quipped, leading Georgia by the hand. "Preferably something digital to be consumed through eyes and ears, y'know?"

Max nearly slapped himself on the head. Last days were so fucking crazy, it went out of his head completely.

"Of course! We got nearly everything humanity ever recorded and digitized, last sync was a week ago," he exclaimed. "Every room has its own stereo system and a screen, knock yourself out."

"Yay, cool digs," Tawny almost jumped. "Can I be, like, really loud?"

"Sure, every apartment is soundproof, your mom won't hear a thing," he grinned.

"Grandmom, actually," Georgia pitched in.

Now it was their turn to grin, Max just gawped.

"Boy, I'm nearly blind, but I can feel what your face looks like now," Georgia burst into laughter.

Max smiled, waved it off and headed to his apartment.

"Hit me up when you're up for a swim," Lu headed to hers.

"Oh, there's a pool?" Tee asked excitedly. Molly made a small happy sound.

"Much better," Lu grinned over her shoulder.

"Oh, something fancier? What's the proper attire? I need to pick a bikini..."

"Well, no one's going to judge you if you don't have one," Lu smiled, closing the door.

--//--

"I see that wasn't a joke -- this place is magic," Tawny laughed, looking at the fake sky.

She and Lu were lazily floating on their backs in the middle of the lake. Molly swam laps, splashing them every time she passed. None of them were wearing anything.

"So, Tawny... you Irish?" Lu grinned.

"Is it the red hair or the milky skin that gave me away?" The girl snorted, Lu joined and they both broke up in laughter, which made them swim back to the shore. They fell on the sand on their backs, giggling.

"Actually, half and half," she continued when the laughing fit passed. "At least that's what my crack whore of a mother said. She didn't really remember her johns, they were all Irish and Scottish to her."

"And, please, call me Tee," she said after a pause.

She couldn't stop looking at the ceiling.

"I wonder how the actual sky will be visible though these panels, do they slide, open?" she mused aloud.

"Damn, another nerd in our midst!" Lu cackled.

"Another? Who's the other one?" Tee turned her head.

"Max. He's the chief engineer of this place, you can ask him about the roof. Beware, I haven't met anyone who'd out-nerd him in my entire life," she chuckled.

"Wow, he doesn't look the type, like, at all," Tee paused, choosing words. "Stereotypical white male, early century Hollywood summer blockbuster protagonist, very popular with straight females."

"Accurate," Lu snorted. "He had that work for him very good."

"Eh, not my type. I gotta be real desperate for that."

"You swing for the other team?" Lu propped herself on the elbow to look at the girl.

"That obvious?" Tee grinned sarcastically. "I don't swing much, though. My first relationship was my last, it was very brief and ended a year ago."

"How come?" Lu's jaw dropped. "You're a total knockout, don't get me wrong, I bet you had girls lining up to tap that booty!"

"That's the life in the closet for ya. I didn't come out until I hit eighteen," Tee sighed. "I grew up in Baltimore ghetto, you know how that goes."

Lu did know. Streets filled with gangsters of all types, places where police would only go with SWAT support. Places, where girls only had a chance for a normal life if they found a sugar daddy, and all the daddies were gang members. A single hint at even a bisexuality made you a pariah and a target for a gang rape or a brutal murder in the street.

"When my mother OD'd, I moved to Chicago to live with Mama G and care for her," Tee continued. "Didn't have much luck dating there either, several hookups, 's all."

"Oh I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, chica," Lu's voice was soft and sad.

"Thank you, Lu, but... don't be, okay? It's all in the past. We finally have a chance at a normal life without all the judgment and bigotry," Tee turned on her side and covered Lu's hand with hers.

"Well then, I hope you won't turn down an offer from a hot latina if that stallion refuses to bed me," Lu grinned and squeezed her fingers playfully.

Tee blushed cutely and opened her mouth for a witty response, when a sudden cold salty shower covered them both -- Molly, out of the water, was shaking her hair, sending droplets everywhere. Tee and Lu squealed.

"I was wondering when you finally get tired," Lu laughed.

"It was... soooo... good..." Molly plopped on the sand facing them, sitting cross-legged and propping herself on her outstretched arms. She was breathing heavily, but her face, slightly red from exertion, was happy. Her eyes slid over the two beautiful bodies in front of her, stopping at their mounds -- Tee's was perfectly bare, while Lu sported a neatly trimmed narrow strip. Molly self-consciously covered her bush with both hands and blushed.

"Aww, girl, it's all natural, don't fret about it," Tee noticed her embarrassment.

"It's-- I-- I've been meaning to take care of it, but... it's been too long... and..." Molly's voice trailed off.

"Don't worry, sis, drop by my place later, I can help you with that," Tee gave her a friendly smile.

Molly blushed even deeper, then smiled back shyly and nodded.

--//--

"Max?" Georgia knocked on his door, and it opened not five seconds later.

"Hey, Georgia, what can I do you for?" Max stood in the doorframe, dressed in a plain gray t-shirt, loose sweatpants and sneakers.

"Girls went for a swim, and I feel like stretching and working out after all that sitting in the car," she was dressed the part -- tight sports top, short enough to show a decent amount of her toned midsection, equally tight yoga pants and keds.

"Be a dear, show me around?" she asked.

"Sure, I was going to hit the gym too," he grinned, offering his elbow. "Shall we?"

She hooked her arm in his, smiling.

"Lead on."

"Cataracts?" He asked cautiously, as they walked across the lobby to the facilities hallway.

"Yeah, bad one. Made me retire early," she sighed. "I loved my job."

"What did you do?"

"Surgical nurse. Twenty-fucking-five years in Cook County Hospital."

"Oh," Max beamed. "At least we now have someone with medical experience, not just basic first-aid skills."

"Don't get your hopes up, I'm useless with eyes like that."

"Can you share the knowledge at least?"

"That I can do," she nodded.

"Does the weed help you?"

"My cataracts, you mean? Not much. I just like getting stoned," she giggled.

"How you dealing with all this?" he asked out of the blue.

"Honestly? We're okay. It was a shock, sure, we scrambled for a day, trying to find other people... But we didn't have any strong attachments, two odd birds, you know," she smirked. "Tawny feels like it's rather a beginning than the end, and I tend to agree with that."

Max nodded.

They walked into the gym. Despite being designated as the 'staff gym', it'd still put to shame a lot of fancy fitness places. Georgia pulled back from his arm and walked on her own.

"I know my way around these places, I'll manage on my own, don't worry," she walked up to the bench and began stretching.

"A'ight, I won't," he smiled and went to the free weights across from her for his squats and deadlifts.

They worked out in silence for a while, their heavy breathing and occasional clangs of metal on metal being their only soundtrack. Max stopped to take a breather and watched Georgia for a while.

"Are you oglin' my ass, Max?" She asked, not stopping her donkey kicks or turning her head.

"Admiring, more like," he grinned. "Amazing form, Georgia."

"Well, what's a blind bird to do except listen to podcasts and masturbate," she chuckled. "But thank you for the compliment."

"You mind if I call you Gee?"

"Not at all, everybody does... well, did, at least," she sighed, stopped and turned to him, sitting on the bench astride. "I don't mind you watching me either," she smiled, her half-lidded eyes watching him -- as if she saw much more than she was willing to admit.

I get it, there's a horny virus in that fog, he groaned inwardly. No other explanation for everybody being so fucking flirty around me.

"It's just weird calling you by the name of the most racist state in the land," he shrugged, steering the conversation the other way.

"There's also a nice country that goes by the same name," she argued.

"Yeah," he smiled, remembering his forward station between campaigns -- green mountains and incredible food. "Locals call it Sakartvelo."

"Beautiful! Traveled a lot, Max?"

"I did," he nodded. "I just didn't pick the destination."

"Oh, an army boy!" She giggled, an unmistakable sexual innuendo in her voice.

"Yes, ma'am," he grinned.

"You call me that again, I'll spank yo ass," she laughed and rose, returning to her workout and pointedly putting her perfect ass on display for him.

I wouldn't even object -- in other circumstances, he thought, and felt a stirring in his sweatpants. He turned to his weights again, when his earpiece chimed.

"Hey Max, where you at?"

--//--

They met in the lobby. The trio, disheveled, dry clothes over wet bodies and hair, seemed quite happy. Tee, Gee and Molly walked to the elevator, while Lu pulled Max aside.

32inch
32inch
469 Followers