English Rose Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers

As promised, the announcement of her engagement to Lord Radcliff had appeared in that morning's paper and was the topic of conversation across London. Sabrina hadn't missed the sudden hush that fell over the modiste's shop at their entrance. Lifting her chin, Sabrina sailed forward and greeted her favorite seamstress.

The rest of the day was spent pouring over fashion plates, fabric, lace and all manner of trim. In the end, they not only settled on a design for her wedding dress but several new dresses more befitting a soon-to-be duchess.

Back in her room, Sabrina stood before the mirror and ran a hand down the front of her dress. Madam Lisette had insisted that Sabrina take it despite having made it for another client. It was beautiful, unlike anything Sabrina had ever owned in cut and style. Gone were the modest cuts to the collar and cuffs and in their place sharp angels that revealed the skin above her breasts and the delicate turn of her wrists.

Earlier, she'd bathed and then sat patiently while Tilly worked to curl Sabrina's hair and secure it to the top of her head. It was a common style, one she'd worn before, but with the sleeves of the dress starting off the shoulders it left the long line of her neck bare. Suddenly, Sabrina realized the mature nature of her dress and understood why maidens were required to wear the demure cut of a high collar.

Lord Radcliff's carriage arrived promptly at eight. Followed closely by her maid, Sabrina accepted the hand of a footman and settled back for the short ride. Like most of the ton, Lord Radcliff kept a residence in town. Not far from Sabrina's family home, it was located in the fashionable part of town. Sabrina remembered hearing someone say that Radcliff had acquired the house prior to becoming the legitimate heir to the dukedom. That meant that the London townhouse was not part of the titled estates and belonged to Radcliff separately. Sabrina had never given much thought to matters of title and wealth and now found herself wondering how her fiancé's estate would be worked to incorporate that of the title.

Lost in thought, it took Sabrina a moment to realize they had arrived. A moment later, the carriage door opened and the stairs let down. Once again, she allowed the footman to aid her before turning to consider what would eventually be her home.

The townhouse was large, taking up more then half of the city block. Several glass-paned windows stared back at her holding a promise of light within. Someone had taken the time to plant several small, blooming bushes along the front, helping to alleviate the dark color of the stone. Surprising, it had an inviting feel to it and Sabrina felt some of her apprehension ease as she walked up the front steps.

The front door opened and a liveried footman greeted Sabrina. Stepping into a large foyer, Sabrina allowed the young man to help her out of her cloak before escorting her to meet her fiancé. She was surprised when he directed her to the library and not the sitting room.

The library was large, every available space filled with books including the shelves, tables, chairs and even the floor. It was obviously a well-used, well-loved room and Sabrina found she appreciated its comfort to the formality of most sitting rooms.

Douglas watched as his fiancé stepped into the room and stopped. He could see her eyes as they passed over the room, taking in the floor to ceiling shelves, the piles of books scattered on every available surface and the large bank of windows both at the front and the back of the room. Finally, they settled on him.

Sabrina found him standing in front of the fireplace. She had forgotten how large he was, not just tall but broad across the shoulders. As she watched, he set aside the drink he'd obviously been enjoying and even the glass looked small in his hands. Turning back to his face, Sabrina realized for the first time that he was nearly as dark in coloring as she with black hair and deep, dark blue eyes.

Douglas crossed the room, stopping just out of reach. "Good evening, my lady," he said. Staring down, Douglas drank in the sight of her. Her dark hair and green eyes were set off against the color of her dress. The deep neckline revealed the tops of her breasts and his height offered him an almost indecent view of her cleavage. Already, his fingers positively itched to touch her.

Sabrina felt her face heat slightly under his close scrutiny. She was reminded of their abbreviated waltz and the feel of his arms holding her lightly. Swallowing against the sudden dryness of her mouth, she said, "good evening, my lord."

Douglas decided to get the elephant out of the room. "I was pleased to hear from your father that you had accepted my offer. I hope you'll forgive me for not speaking with you first."

Sabrina stepped more completely into the room, her maid slipping quietly into a chair in the corner. "Perhaps you'll be so kind as to tell my why, after one waltz, you offered for my hand and why you went about it the way you did." Sabrina knew that most young women would simply be grateful, especially given her situation. Still, she couldn't help but ask.

Douglas indicated a set of chairs before the fireplace. The fire had yet to be lit, the warm, spring day having sufficiently heated the room for another few hours. "Can I get you a drink?"

Sabrina nodded, "I'll have whatever you're having," she said. Sabrina despised the cordial and Madeira most young women drank.

Douglas poured them each a glass of brandy before joining her in front of the fire. "I suppose I could provide you with a list of all your attributes, all that you have to offer someone in my position." Douglas watched as she took a sip of brandy. "But the truth of the matter is you are unlike any woman I have ever met. As for how I handled things; I would have preferred to take the time to get to know you, court you properly, but the Season is coming to an end and you made it painfully obvious that you didn't want to have anything to do with me or any man for that matter."

Sabrina stared down into the dark liquid of her drink. The brandy was superb; probably the finest money could buy. Her first sip had slipped down the back of her throat, leaving a lingering trail of heat before settling into the pit of her stomach. She considered his words, everything said and unsaid, and sensed the truth in them. More then anything she wanted to believe that there was a chance for them but couldn't shake the feeling that they were two damaged people coming together. "May I ask you a question, my lord?"

"Douglas, and yes." Douglas waited patiently; he'd watched her thinking and suspected that she had something very specific on her mind.

"Why, given my reluctance to marry and what you now know as the reason why, do you want to marry me?" Sabrina held her breath, his answer important to her.

Douglas weighed his response for a moment; he couldn't tell her the truth, at least, not all of it. "I've been watching you for a while," he admitted. "In fact, I still remember the first time I saw you. From the very beginning, there has been something that drew me to you. Perhaps, some part of me recognized another injured soul and thought we might find some comfort in one another." He shrugged, uncomfortable with the unintended direction of his confession. "Admittedly, you are a very beautiful woman and I find myself attracted and intrigued." Douglas reached out and lightly touched the back of her hand, briefly and hopefully not so long as to make her uncomfortable. "I think, I hope, that the feeling is mutual."

Sabrina didn't pull her hand away. She had to admit that he was right; there was an attraction there, once she let herself feel it. "Well then, Douglas," she said, trying his name out for the first time, "it appears we're getting married."

Douglas breathed a small sigh of relief. He hadn't allowed himself to consider, even for a moment, that they wouldn't be getting married. However, he wanted her to come to their marriage willingly and without resentment. "So it would seem," he said, a trace of humor entering his dark eyes. "My hope is that we could spend a fair amount of the next two weeks getting to know one another. There are a number of entertainments left this Season with which to amuse ourselves, that is, if you're willing to turn the responsibility of your social calendar over to me."

Sabrina eyed him for a moment before nodding. "I dare say we are probably on most of the same guest lists."

Douglas took the moment to lighten the mood, "I will strive to surprise you, my lady."

"Sabrina," she corrected.

"Sabrina," Douglas said before standing and offered her his hand. "I believe our supper is ready."

Sabrina allowed Douglas to help her from her chair, readily slipping her hand into the crook of his arm.

Dinner was a quiet, intimate affair. Sabrina's maid was dining with the rest of the staff and Douglas has eschewed the tradition of having the staff serve them in favor of family style dining. The two of them sat at one end of the formal table, plates and platters spread out before them. Sabrina was slightly dismayed and then utterly charmed when Douglas went to serve her.

Douglas made sure she had a little bit of everything, not realizing until he place her plate in front of her just how much food there was. Sabrina laughed and promised to try a bite of everything.

Dinner was...surprising; the conversation was light and Douglas turned out to be both utterly charming and a bit devilish. He was open and honest about both family and business, two topics men tended to avoid while in the company of women. For her part, Sabrina shared about her sisters, her friend Ellie and her secret passion for books.

After dinner, Douglas escorted Sabrina back into the library. It really was his favorite room in the house. After learning of her passion for books, he encouraged her to explore. "Once we're married," he said, "you should feel free to make whatever changes you like. Perhaps we can create a sitting space in here for you to use."

"I'd like that," Sabrina said and took a seat next to Douglas on the couch, it was growing dark and the fire had been lit. Sabrina's maid remained below stairs with the servants leaving the two of them alone. For the first time, Sabrina didn't feel fear at that thought. She was enjoying her evening with Douglas and was comfortable in his presence.

They had settled into the couch, close but not touching, each of them with a glass of wine. The conversation slowed, becoming quiet until there was only silence. The silence stretched, not uncomfortable but heavy, with a touch of expectation. Slowly, Douglas raised his hand and very carefully tucked a lock of Sabrina's hair behind her ear.

Sabrina shivered as the pad of his thumb brushed the lobe of her ear before trailing lightly down the length of her neck. Surprisingly, she was disappointed when he withdrew his hand.

Douglas watched with satisfaction as Sabrina shivered at his touch. Instinctively, he knew that it was from desire and not fear. "Your skin is so soft," he whispered, surprised at the slightly husky sound of his voice. "That lock of hair came loose not long after you arrived; it's been driving me crazy all night."

"I'm sorry," Sabrina whispered, not knowing what else to say to that.

"Don't be," Douglas said and bent his head. One touch wasn't enough; he knew it would never be enough where Sabrina was concerned. It was absolute madness for him to marry her. He was guaranteed that she would eventually find out the role he'd played...hell, starred in, in her past. But he couldn't stop himself, it was that simple. He'd never been able to forget her, the feel of her skin beneath his hands or the taste of her on his tongue.

Sabrina watched as his head descended towards her; closing her eyes at the last moment, she couldn't stop her body from jerking as his mouth covered hers. She felt him pause, giving her the barest of moments to pull away, to tell him to stop.

Douglas gave a low growl of pleasure when no refusal came and sunk them both deeper into the kiss. He touched her only with his mouth, one hand resting on the back of the couch, the other firmly in his own lap. Teasing her with his tongue, he nibbled at the corners of her mouth with his teeth before sweeping in to explore.

Their tongues touched, danced and dueled until Sabrina felt breathless, swore that her head was spinning just from the taste of him. Without realizing it, she had reached up and twisted her fingers into the hair at the back of his head and was gripping it in her fists. She wanted him closer, wanted him to ease the pressure his kiss was building inside of her.

Douglas sensed her need, knew it mirrored his own and sought to bring them back from the edge. He wanted to taste her, wanted to see the desire rise in her, but had no intention of taking things any further, at least not tonight.

Sabrina felt the shift in Douglas and let her fingers slip from his hair to his shoulders and finally back into her lap. She realized that his hand no longer remained motionless on the back of the couch but was now softly rubbing the tight muscles at the base of her neck. Where before his touch sought to insight passion it now sought to sooth.

Her eyes felt heavy as she opened them to find Douglas staring down at her. The sight of him, his lips swollen and red from their kiss, caused something to heat low below her belly. She knew desire when she felt it but hadn't felt it in so long, had never thought to feel it again after that one night. Frowning slightly, Sabrina realized that she didn't want thoughts of that night to intrude on this moment with Douglas.

Douglas saw her frown and eased himself back, giving her more space. "Are you alright?" He asked. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't," Sabrina assured him. "I was just thinking...I haven't...that is, I don't..."

Douglas smiled reassuringly. "No worries; despite your past I recognize that you are a very proper young lady. But as I said earlier, I find you extremely attractive and, now that we're engaged, I look forward to a certain amount of...latitude. Besides," he said, grinning wickedly, "we did agree that we wanted to get to know each other."

Sabrina caught the note of teasing in his voice and smiled. Looking at him sideways, she asked. "Just how well were you hoping to get to know me, my lord?"

Douglas, already hard and aching, felt himself surge against the front of his pants. He had no doubt that Sabrina knew exactly the sight she made sitting on his couch, her lips slightly abraded by his kiss. "Intimately," he said. This time, when he bent his head it was to place an almost chaste kiss at the edge of her jaw.

Sabrina couldn't hide her disappointment when Douglas stood and went to call for a footman; a short time later she found herself standing with her maid in the foyer and then quickly escorted to Douglas' carriage. The man himself saw her out and off with a quick smile that held a promise. "Until next time," he said and stepped back.

The next day Douglas arrived to take tea with Sabrina and discuss their first public appearance since the announcement of their engagement. Sabrina normally took tea with her mother and sister; however, today Lady Montague excused herself taking her youngest daughter with her. Finding herself alone with her fiancé, Sabrina asked, "How do you take your tea?"

"Milk and sugar," he said

"Light and sweet?" Sabrina poured and served. "I wouldn't have thought."

Douglas took the delicate teacup and plate of cakes. "If you must know, I prefer coffee and take it black."

Sabrina looked up from preparing her own plate in time to catch Douglas taking his first sip. It was obviously not to his liking, despite the generous amount of milk and sugar.

Douglas watched as Sabrina smiled, a sparkle of humor evident in her eyes. "An Englishman that doesn't like tea, say it isn't so," she said. Shaking her head, she rose and crossed the room. A moment later she appeared beside his chair, a glass of brandy in hand.

Douglas didn't take the glass; instead, he reached up and wrapped his fingers around her wrist. Tugging her gently onto his lap, he said, "There is something much sweeter then brandy that I would rather have."

Sabrina felt a thrill of pleasure shoot up her spine; she'd never been this close to Douglas before and felt positively indecent sitting in his lap. Still, she couldn't miss the obvious desire in his eyes or stop herself from appreciating the muscular feel of his thighs beneath her buttocks.

At first, she didn't know what to do with her hands but settled on sliding one arm around his neck and letting the other rest against his chest. She could feel his heart beat beneath her palm and his breath was warm against the side of her neck. "I don't think this is a good idea," she said.

"I'm positive it's not." Douglas said and pulling her head down took over her mouth. Unlike the night before, he didn't waste time teasing but simply plundered.

Sabrina felt herself swept up and surrendered. She felt her body go soft and lean into him; her hand, previously lying passive against his chest, moved to grip the front of his shirt. Still not satisfied, Sabrina sought and found where the two halves of his shirt met and slipped her small hand inside.

Douglas growled as the heat of her hand touched his chest. It was the first time in nearly two years that he'd felt her hands on him. She didn't push her way inside, simply let herself explore the small patch of exposed skin, but it was enough to send the blood rushing to his head. Their mouths still fused together, Douglas wrapped his hands around her waist and shifted her slightly.

Sabrina pressed herself more firmly against Douglas' lap, her new position having brought her in direct contact with his obvious arousal. She found that she wanted, needed to get closer, and longed to feel more of him pressed up against her. "Douglas," she whispered pleadingly.

"I know," he said. Still holding her waist, he lifted her and turned her to face him, her legs straddling him on either side of his hips.

Sabrina gasped as he brought her down on top of him. Their new position had cause the long skirt of her dress to gather up around her thighs. Unfortunately, there was still plenty between them including her underclothes and Douglas' slacks. Still, she could feel the hard length of him and tilted her hips to accommodate him.

Douglas thought he might loss control at that moment. Despite the barriers, he could feel her heat and knew that with a few simple movements could be buried deep inside of her. He fought against the urge to release himself from his pants and instead reached up and grasped the front of her dress.

She was wearing a modest morning dress with a square neckline. Still, the light material gave way surprisingly easily when he tugged, spilling her breasts out into his hands. "Beautiful," he whispered and bent to take one, rose colored nipple into his mouth.

Sabrina's sighed, her head falling back, as the warm, wet heat of his mouth surrounded her. Gently, he suckled, pulling her nipple lightly into his mouth. All sensible thoughts had fled as Sabrina felt herself growing restless. The heat of his mouth was amazing, made her ache to be closer but still wasn't enough. "More, Douglas, please."

Douglas obeyed and slipped one hand between their bodies. Finding the slit in her underclothes, he slipped his fingers inside and found her. She was wet and hot, her nether lips already slightly parted revealing the tender tip of her clit. He could feel her entire body straining above him and sought to give her some ease. Drawing her nipple more firmly into his mouth, he sucked hard while at the same time gripping her clit between his fingers and squeezing.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers