Enough

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John got tired of driving back and forth to his parent's home quickly so he bought a nice bed and a couple of chairs to put into the sales room of the building at his orchard. There were already rest rooms there that had been used for the customers. He rigged up a shower in the back part of the barn near the exercise area and cooked on the commercial stove that had been used to prepare desserts that had been made from the farm produce and sold. He got the coolers running so he could keep fresh foods.

As the weeks rolled by John began cleaning and repairing his part of the place farther and farther away from the buildings. He clipped all the fields then plowed up an area he intended to turn into a garden in the spring. He could tell the trees needed pruning so he took an on line course from the University of Missouri on Orchard management.

John intended to spend most of the winter pruning trees, doing maintenance and getting ready for spring, his busiest time of the year. He was sitting at his desk working on his extension courses when Andrea came storming into the office. She was crying and waving a paper in his general direction as she screamed at him.

"You Asshole," she cried. "How could you do this to me? I can't pay this bill and they tell me if I don't they'll cut off my electricity and turn me over to a collection agency. How could you do it? If I get the power cut off Marcie will kick me out and I will have no place to live. She told me you were an asshole but I didn't believe her. You acted so nice then you do this shit." Andrea slumped down on an old sofa in the office and buried her face in her hands. Her body shook with her angry sobs.

John turned in shock and moved over beside her. He grabbed her hand as Andrea tried to hit him. "Whoa there Andrea. What do you think I've done to you? As far as I know I haven't done anything to make you angry at me."

"You had them charge me for all the electricity you've been using. I can't pay it. Sometimes I can't even buy enough food and I sure can't pay almost $300.00 for electricity. I have to scrape to pay the $90.00 or so it usually costs. You've been using a lot of electricity on your air conditioner and all those refrigerators and stuff. How could you do that to me? I thought we were friends."

John felt his stomach sink. Shit. He hadn't even thought about the electricity. The power was on in the barn and he just used it. He never thought about it coming from the meter on the house. In fact he had not thought about it at all. He realized he was even using water from the house well.

He pulled Andrea down into his lap still holding onto her to keep her from hitting him. "Crap Andrea. I'm sorry. I never thought about it. The power was on and I just used it. I didn't try to cheat you. I just never thought about it at all one way or the other. Now calm down and I'll make it right. Tell you what. I'll pay the entire bill this month. I'm sure some of last month's bill was power I used too. I'll also go to the electric coop tomorrow and make sure they put a meter out here for my part of the place too."

John sat a minute then he looked puzzled. "What do you mean you have to pay the electric bills? You mean Marcie makes you pay the electric bill? I've seen how you live when they're not here. You hardly ever have a light on. When Marcie and her family are here every light in the house is on almost 24/7. I know they are here almost every weekend and for weeks at a time in the summer. I bet half or more of the power bill is theirs.

"I know but she said I had to pay it if I wanted to live here. I didn't have anywhere else I could go and I don't make enough working in town to even rent a small apartment. I have to pay or she'll kick me out. I don't have anywhere else, don't you understand??

John sat there in shock. He knew his cousin was a bitch but he couldn't believe she would take advantage of someone like she had apparently taken advantage of Andrea. He couldn't do much about it but he still didn't like it at all. He was going to have trouble making ends meet until his first crops came in as it was. He was being careful with his savings but if he couldn't harvest and sell a lot of fruit and garden items he would have to try and find a job in town next year. In fact he was trying to find some part time work now to help with his expenses.

John got the electricity bill straightened out early the next week. It was getting colder and he began cutting some dead wood to burn in an old wood stove he had installed in his living area. That would help a lot with the electric bills because he would cut down on his use of the electric heaters in the building.

One cold snowy day in late December John was sitting in the office going over more of his Grandfather's files when he found a folder with his name on it. Inside was a sealed envelope. He opened the envelope and found a letter dated shortly after he left for the army. It was supposed to have been mailed to him upon his Grandfather's death according to the note attached to it but either no one found it or they elected not to send it.

John read the letter over quickly, then once more slowly. For the most part the letter was only a good bye missive. His grandfather had known the end was near and said in his letter, "John by now you know I died and you inherited the 40 acres of my farm with the orchard on it. You were the only one of the family that loved the trees and caring for them like I did. Just, please, when you work with them use all the safety gear you can. I still believe working unprotected with the chemicals is what gave me this damn cancer. I would have gone to Crossroads for treatment except I am old enough I am not sure I would have survived the rescue attempt for another Damsel. Hell, I'm not sure I could have serviced her if I had rescued her. I decided my time has run its course and I am happy with my life. Now it's up to you to carry on my legacy son.

"I have worked and talked with you and other members of my family now my entire life and have came to the conclusion my values, the values I grew up with and that were important in the last century just do not exist now. You alone of all the family have shown you respect confidences, keep secrets and above all keep your word. Many times I have told members of the family something in confidence only to hear others discussing that very thing shortly thereafter. I have tested each and every one of the family and to the best of my knowledge you are the only one who has never broken your word to me when it was given. You alone of all my male descendants have what it takes to become a Hero Son. If you live up to my expectations the rest of your inheritance will soon become known to you John.

"As a reward for you being a man who keeps his word, on my last vacation to Colorado I took the liberty of deeding my small bit of land there to you and you alone. You remember when we used to go out there camping? I never told you or anyone else I actually owned the land we used. I never lied; I merely didn't inform the family it was mine. I always just called it my camping spot if you remember. Well, Johnnie, I'm sure you remember that land has an almost played out gold mine on it and a ghost town where you used to play. Go there when you need money son or when you become bored with the mundane life you have here in Missouri. If Jake agrees with my assessment of you he has one final gift from me for you. I used to call that little piece of ground my piggy bank because I took many dollars away from there over the years but it was more than that.

Jake and I were both Heroes at one time. He passed his title to his son who died of injuries received in the performance of his duties. He alone of anyone close to us here on earth is best qualified to pass judgment on your capabilities. In any event, you will have the land in Colorado as well as the small plot here to help you maintain your sanity in this fucked up world.

"Just remember things are not always like they seem. Remember those games we used to play? Remember when I used to give you riddles to solve and sent you on scavenger hunts son? For your inheritance to really pay off for you as it did for me you have to use all the skills you learned over the years. You might even need to use some of the skills you learned in the Army. If you are successful in your hunt you will find you have enough to see you through life comfortably from the orchard and from your place out west. I never really used the part of the farm I gave the other grandchildren. All my income came from the orchard and my camping spot. Most of my pleasure came from Chaos, especially after your grandmother passed away.

"Remember me fondly if you will and forgive me for not being more specific about your place out west. If, or when you solve the riddle and make your first successful trip I believe you will understand. I cannot, no I will not say more in this letter in case it is read by someone besides you. I have also made arrangements for you to be contacted in the future if you do not go to Colorado and visit your land. This contact is merely to insure you are aware of your ownership. I go to my grave filled with love for you and wish you a good life. You were always a pleasure to work and camp with son. I'm sure the Damsels will love you should you find one you care to rescue."

John laid the letter on the desk and leaned back in his old chair. He ignored the tired squeak of the chair as the old metal springs complained about the movement. He carefully placed his feet on the old wooden desk and locked his hands behind his head. John smiled as his mind wandered to Colorado and the times his grandfather took him camping with him. Every trip he took his grandfather seemed to take a couple of days off alone leaving John in the care of one of his many friends in the area. He remembered the stories his grandfather told him after he returned from wherever he went. That was when he was told most of the stories about Damsels being rescued and battles fought.

John sat for several minutes as he recalled how he enjoyed those trips with his grandfather. He decided he would make a trip to Colorado as early in the year as he could. He would leave in early June. He thought he could take a few days off then and not neglect his crops. He wanted to visit his land and see if he could discover the secret his grandfather mentioned in his letter.

From time to time over the next five months John thought about the letter and tried to figure out what the scavenger hunt his grandfather mentioned could be about. He just could not come up with anything. He was excited, frustrated, and almost angry that he did not know what he would find when he got out west. Finally his large garden was in and growing well. He had it tilled and the trees sprayed. He had at most two weeks he could take off before he had to spray crops for insects once more and till weeds out of his garden. Early one morning John took off in his truck for Colorado. He was young, in good health and immortal. He drove straight through to Colorado Springs taking fourteen hours to drive the 700 miles. He stopped for the night in a campground then hit the road once more early the next morning for the last few miles.

John's land was several miles south of Cripple Creek, an old mining town that had been turned into a tourist trap filled with small casinos. It still had an operating gold mine that tourists could tour. There was even a short line tourist railroad boasting an old coal fired steam engine for tourists to ride. He arrived at his land and put the truck into 4 wheel drive for the final half mile drive into his old ghost town. The last several miles had been over dirt roads that were more and more rough and difficult to drive on. He was glad he could finally stop and relax.

The small Ghost town looked picturesque. There was really not much left to indicate a town had been there. Mainly old foundations and fallen in log buildings were all that remained. There were three larger buildings that still stood and were in adequate repair. One of the buildings had been a hotel and saloon combined, another had been a general store and the third was a small cabin. The old mine site was hidden by the large piles of mine tailings on which John had played when younger. John was surprised to see a thin tendril of smoke coming from the chimney of the best looking cabin when he drove up.

Shortly after John turned his truck off an old man tottered from the cabin and moved toward John. When he was half way to John's truck a younger woman exited the building and stood on the porch watching the two men.

When the old man was about fifteen feet away John could see he was weather beaten. His dark skin was dry and leathery looking. His once black hair was almost entirely white now and hung in a pony tail almost to his shoulder blades. His dark eyes locked on John with a piercing gaze as he hobbled up to him. The man stopped about three feet from John and looked him up and down. He glanced at the truck then back to John.

The old man smiled and held his hand out for a shake as he said in a dry raspy voice, "Well Johnnie I see ya made it. We was beginnin' to wonder if ya had got tha letter your grandpa said he was agonna have sent ya. Damn boy ya sure have growed up aint ya?"

John looked at the old man as he reached out to shake his hand. He looked familiar but... John finally smiled and the old man could see the recognition in his face. "Mr. Soaring Eagle? You were grandpa's friend weren't you? I used to stay with you and your wife when grandpa took off didn't I?"

"Yup boy. I wasn't sure ya would remember me but ya did. Ya're a man now so why don't ya call me by my first name. Ya kin call me Jake now boy. Mary sure did get a lot of pleasure out of ya stayin' with us. She died couple of year ago. Now it's just me and Tessa, my son's girl. They're all dead now but us. Your grandpa let us live here and watch over the place for him after things got bad for us. Hope ya don't mind none."

"No. I don't mind at all. You're welcome to stay as long as you want. I just found out in December I owned this place." John smiled and continued, "I guess I've got a riddle to solve now though. Grandpa's letter didn't tell me much more than I owned the acreage now and I had to figure out what the secret was. I got the impression I needed to keep my mouth shut about things out here too."

"That's right boy. Now yer grandpappy and me was good friends most of our lives. He was honest as the day is long mostly but he did have a little secret or two he kept except fer me knowin part of it. He made me promise to help ya figure it out if ya needed me to but I'm supposed ta let you work through it by yerself if ya can. Not even Tessa knows 'bout everthin' herebouts."

John looked around and saw Tessa was still just standing on the porch watching the two men. He sighed and said, "Well, I guess I'll look around a little if you don't mind. It's been a long time since I was here but I can feel myself relaxing already."

"Hell boy why would I mind? An if I did what difference would it make? It's your place now aint it? You just go on about yer business and if ya have a question or need somthin' ya jus let me or Tessie know. We'll be up at the house all day. She works part time at one of tha casinos in Cripple Creek but it's her day off dontcha know."

John spent most of the day walking around the ghost town and up to the old mine. He walked quite a ways up the small stream that ran through the little valley also. He sat under the trees beside the little stream where he had played as a young man. The remains of the equipment they used to wash the gold from the dirt was lying in the dirt beside him. He had spent many hours here panning for gold when he was younger. He lay back in the cool shade and let his mind wander back to those better days. The sun was setting and it was cooling off when he decided he needed to get his camp set up before it got dark.

John wandered back down to the old town, started his truck and moved it back beside the stream. He was almost finished putting up his tent when Tessa walked up and stood watching him. He said hello to her and continued his work. Finally she asked, "Why are ya settin' up the tent?"

"I seem to remember it rains a lot of mornings here and I don't want to get my bedding wet or have to put it away or sleep in my truck."

"No, I mean why aren't you staying in the hotel like your grandpa did? We always kept the manager's room repaired and cleaned for him to use. It just seemed sort of silly for you to set up out here instead of use the room inside. 'Course it's your place and ya can do whatever ya want."

"I never got into the hotel and didn't think about using one of the buildings. They all look pretty run down and all so I didn't think about staying in one. Besides I noticed the hotel was locked and I didn't want to break in. Do you have a key for it?"

"Yeah. We keep it locked. I guess it's still got a little stuff in it folks might wantta steal if they could. It and the old store stayed busy longer than the rest of the town and when the owner sold out to your grandpa he just up and left everything in the buildings. We used some of the food and things until it was mostly gone but never bothered with the other stuff. There's probably several dollars worth of antiques in the old town if ya wanted to take it and sell it to the city slickers."

"Well, let's go look at my room if you have the key. If it's not too dusty I might just move in there."

Tessa's eyes flashed and her face got slightly red. "I TOLD ya we kept the Manager's room clean and ready. Do ya think because we're part Indian we live in a dirty house or expect you to?"

"Tessa I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. I just noticed through the windows that some of the rooms I could see were a little dusty. I didn't mean to imply you were a bad housekeeper or upset you ok?"

Tessa glared at him and mumbled "OK". She turned toward what was left of the old town and her grandfather's house without speaking further. John followed her back toward the town. He felt himself getting hard as he watched her nearly perfect posterior wiggle in her jeans as she walked. When she turned toward her house he turned toward the hotel. He sat on the old wooden bench on its porch until she returned.

She returned with the keys and John watched as she opened the front door. She led him toward a door that opened behind and to the side of the front desk. When he stepped into the room he stopped in shock. The room was almost spotless. The natural wood glowed in the late afternoon light coming in the window. It had been on the back side of the hotel and the ground sloped enough he could not see in its window when he had explored his domain earlier. The bed looked comfortable and had a homemade quilt topping it. There was an older recliner beside a table with a kerosene lamp on it. There was even a door that opened onto a separate room with an old fashioned galvanized bath tub and a chamber pot inside. There was an old cast iron coal stove for heat. The room smelled a little musty from being closed up but he knew if he opened the windows it would air out rapidly.

John looked around and smiled. "This is very nice. I never would have expected this old building to have a room this nice. I don't remember this room at all from when I came out here with grandpa. We always slept in a tent and if it rained we took shelter over in the old livery stable. I did explore all the old buildings though and this just doesn't ring a bell with me."

"Yeah grandpa helped your grandpa fix this room up to sleep in three or four years before he got sick with his cancer. He only used it six or eight times I guess. He was awfully sick the last time he was here when he set it up for you to own the place. I think that was the only reason he came out that time. I don't think he even took off into the hills like he usually did. This was the old manager's room but it was pretty plain and threadbare before they redid it."