Ethical Dilemmas Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is Bettina's optimism justified?" asked Teddy Parker.

"We'll soon see." I replied.

"So these State Medical Board people took bribes to suspend your wife, Commander?" asked Theo Washington.

"That's what Britt Maxwell and Norm Chow are finding." I replied. "And it was easy, too... they didn't even really try to hide it. Money directly into their bank accounts from that group."

"Just who are the 'Citizens For Ethical Standards'?" asked Jerome Davis.

"Yet another of those Social Justice groups that get funded by powerful special interests." I said. "Same funding as the 'Citizens for Police Accountability' and 'Black Voices Raised'. All these groups... funded by money from the same pots."

Just then the Chief came in. "Commander, a moment of your time before you go to the NCAA meeting?" Of course I followed the Chief right out the door and to his office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we sat down in his office, the Chief made a motion like clicking a pen, moving his thumb up and down. I correctly understood that to mean he wanted me to active the bug-killer, which I did.

"I'm just going to forewarn you." said Chief Moynahan. "The Press is going to win the lawsuit."

I groaned. "You already know?"

"Well, they're going to get temporary injunctive relief." said the Chief. "Folsom is going to rule for us, that we have every right to close the Press Office, and that we are not obligated to give them that facility nor to have Press conferences. He is going to rule especially strongly that the Press does not have the right to force you to speak to them at all, much less answer their questions."

"Then," continued the Chief, "Appellate Judge Leahy is going to come in and overturn the decision, literally within hours. Well, what he's going to do is say we have to open the Press Room until the appeal is heard, and that will take many weeks."

"I'm not talking to the Press." I said. "And I'll put in my retirement papers and walk away... or go to jail for Contempt of Court... before I talk to them."

"We are hoping that Leahy will not place that burden upon you." said Moynahan. "But he's so far Left and such an activist, who knows what he will do. But here's the good news: if Leahy rules that you have to speak to the Press, the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court will step in and slap a stay on that."

"With respect, Chief," I said skeptically, "how do you know all this?"

"The Press has their sources, you have your sources," said the Chief with what was for him a wicked grin, "...and I have mine."

"Dayum." I said. "I wish I had sources like that."

"Harumph." growled the Chief. "Don't even try that with me..."

"You're starting to sound like Captain Perlman." I replied.

"And with good reeeee-son, Mr. Crowbar." said the Chief. "With gooooood reason..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00am, officials of the University and of the NCAA and the Conference, reps from almost every school in the Conference, the State Regents, and the Governor's Office assembled in the 'new' auditorium and lecture hall of the Law School. It was neither too big nor too small.

University President Sidney P. Wellman went to the podium. "I want to thank you all for coming today. This is a serious situation, with serious allegations, and the University agrees with the NCAA and the Conference that a serious investigation is needed."

"As part of that," continued Wellman, "I have asked Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy to present to you some facts that are not well known to the Public, but have had a great deal of influence on this matter. Commander Troy is a highly decorated and well-respected Police Officer who has solved many tough crimes. He has earned two Medals of Valor for heroism in the line of duty at great danger to his own life. So please welcome Commander Troy."

There was polite applause as I came forward and opened my laptop, which had been connected to the projector that was now beaming an image onto the screen.

"Thank you." I said. "I am going to take some time and go through some background information so that you have a complete picture of what has happened."

A photo of Pastor Westboro was shown. "This," I said, "is the late Raymond Kyle Westboro, former head pastor of the local First Baptist Church, Town & County Council Member... and one of the most insidious criminals in our Nation's history. I don't say that lightly. You know of 'Professor Moriarty' in the Sherlock Holmes stories. This man was like Moriarty, but worse. He was personally responsible for the deaths of dozens of people, including one of my Police Officers, and he blew up his own church, attempting to murder 2000 people, as he was about to be apprehended."

I went further into the career of Pastor Westboro, then switched tack: "This photo is of someone you may recognize: the Reverend Jonas Oldeeds. Oldeeds was assassinated here in this County. What is not widely known is that Oldeeds had another career behind the scenes: human trafficking. He imported minors into this country for illicit purposes."

"One of Oldeeds's best clients, as well as an associate in his crimes, was Pastor Westboro." I said. "The photos you are about to see are despicable, but must be shown." I then showed the photos of Westboro that Mrs. Peabody had kept in order to stay alive. I heard the groans and gasps of disgust.

"So Westboro was an insidiously evil man." I said. "So was Coach Willy 'Speedy' Gonzales. He also associated with Pastor Westboro. I did not know it at the time, but when I busted Gonzales for the PED distribution scheme, it was Westboro and some others that were part of that scheme." I decided not to tell them that one of those 'others' was my nephew Ned. "Gonzales liked to receive his reward in the form of some of Westboro and Oldeeds's 'merchandise'."

"At the time," I said, "I did not know of Gonzales's involvement with Westboro. We ran him out of Town on a rail for the PED stuff, and he ended up at Eastern State. Some time later, just a few months ago, there was a series of murders. Rusty Dawson was one of them, Selena Martinez was another, and Coach Gonzales himself was yet another. It was at this time that I discovered that Gonzales had participated in Pastor Westboro's schemes involving human trafficking."

I continued: "As to Coach Brian Harlan, there has been Press speculation that he was also involved in all of this, but I have found no evidence, no proof, that it was so. Harlan was aware of the PED situation. Also, his cousin was Angela Harlan, a former TCPD Detective. She murdered reporter Tim Dawdle, who was investigating the PED case, and she also murdered one of my Police Officers, tried to murder another and almost succeeded, murdered a bank executive, and others. She was deemed to be a serial killer, and she was also under the influence of Pastor Raymond Westboro."

"My point in giving you all this background is this." I said. "Pastor Westboro was brilliantly cunning. He devised it so that if the human trafficking were found out, it would look like the University Athletics Department was behind it. He used the head coach's cousin, Angela Harlan, to murder Dawdle, as well. He did everything he could to cover his own tracks, and in a way to keep people from saying anything."

"My thesis," I said, "is that it was all Westboro. Anyone connected to the University, from local people to State Legislators and other Government officials, that found out about this would be led to believe it was a School issue like that 'Sandusky' issue at another School. And that is how Westboro got away with it for all this time."

"My reason for believing this," I said, "is that my investigations, which were thorough, did not come up with a single minor victim of Gonzales, and especially Harlan, and no one has come forward and stated that he or she was a victim of either man. And the Press, who you know would desperately love to find someone to come forward so that they can attack the University in their reporting and gin up a story, have not found a single person that I know of, either."

"Ergo," I finished, "I have to entertain the idea that there really are no other victims independent of those provided by Westboro and Oldeeds, that this was all Westboro, Oldeeds, and Gonzales, and that neither this University nor Eastern State is complicit in any of it. What are your questions concerning this information?"

One NCAA official looked very skeptical as he stood up "With all due respect, Commander Troy," he said, "do you really expect us to believe this?"

"Why, no." I said. "I do not expect you to believe a word of it... until you have investigated it and verified what I've said. I will make available to you everything I have on the Westboro and Oldeeds cases, and Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone of the FBI has indicated to me his willingness to help at the Federal level. And if you can find a victim that comes forward, I'll hear his or her statement gladly, if it leads to the truth. But please, do investigate what I have said."

I had no idea if it would work, and was unable to determine how effective my presentation had been as I looked at the faces in the room. But I did know I'd given it my best shot. No, Westboro had not been a part of it; the allegations of abuse by Gonzales and especially by Harlan were absolutely true.

But Westboro had been behind the murder of TCPD Officer Peter M. Feeley. He'd tried to murder other Police Officers, including then-Detective Hugh Hewitt Detective Joanne Warner, Teresa Croyle, and Cindy Ross. He'd tried to murder my sister. He'd successfully murdered many others, and caused a lot of pain through his other crimes. So it was only 'fair' that I used his evil reputation to save the University and the Conference from disaster.

What about the victims of Gonzales and Harlan? Was I denying them justice here, by suppressing the truth? Maybe, and some would say definitely. But Gonzales was dead. Harlan was dead. There could be no further justice brought to them, on this earth, anyway. And was it 'justice' to punish, to destroy, the future hopes of Bulldogs players, and the School itself and the innocent students working towards their degrees?

It was an ethical dilemma, as it always was. I chose the needs of the Many over the needs of the Few, and may the living God have mercy upon my soul for it.

And it might not be the most ethical thing to falsely accuse someone of these heinous acts, but that was tough shit for the late Raymond Westboro. I was not going to lose a minute of sleep over that aspect of it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So what is this?" Judge Boynton asked the Bailiff. They were in the judge's chambers.

"Sentencing hearing, Your Honor." said the Bailiff. "Judge Scalese fell ill last night, and asked me to see if you could squeeze it in for him."

Boynton looked at his computer monitor. He had not heard of this case, but Scalese often did Federal cases that were kept out of the Public pervue until they were completed. "Okay, let's do it first thing." he said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All rise! Court is in session, the honorable Judge Elton Boynton presiding!" the Bailiff announced.

"Be seated." said Boynton as he sat down in his chair. He looked over the near empty Courtroom. The defendant was a youngish-looking black-haired man in a well-fitting suit. Behind him was a beautiful young blonde woman, dressed very tastefully, her eyes red from crying.

"Case number 22-32, The People v. Charles McSwain." announced the Bailiff.

"Okay, what do you recommend, Prosecutor?" asked Boynton.

"We ask for twenty years, with possibility of parole in fourteen years for good behavior." said Redmond. Boynton nodded. He glanced over at the lovely blonde woman sitting behind the defendant, noticing her eyes went to the defendant every few seconds.

"Tell you what." Boynton said. "I want to study this a little bit, and have a more complete hearing. Let's meet again tomorrow morning at this same time. Prosecutor, Defense, prepare me any new briefs if you want to add to what's been filed." He banged his gavel.

The Deputies took the 'McSwain' away after he'd briefly taken his wife's hand in his. Boynton saw the wedding ring on McSwain's finger flash brightly as Mrs. McSwain tried to smile bravely at her husband, then wipe the tears away from her eyes after he was gone. She was very good looking, Boynton thought to himself with an inward smile...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You did all you could, Commander." said University Athletics Director Miles Messervy. "Do you think it'll be enough?"

"I hope so." I said. "But if there are any NCAA people that really want to come after you, it may not matter."

"That's true." said President Wellman as he came up. "But the majority of them were impressed by your report. They had hardly any idea of Pastor Westboro's existence, much less him being the mastermind behind it all. And for that matter, I had no idea, either."

"Deer me, Mr. Holmes, deer me." I said. Wellman and Messervy looked at me funny; they didn't know what that really meant...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All right, the bait is taken." said Cindy to Shane O'Brady. "Boynton's eyes about popped out of his head when he saw Joanne."

"How does the Iron Crowbar do it?" muttered O'Brady. "We do not have ladies that look like her, and you, on the Pottsville Police Force." Cindy smiled and stifled a chuckle. Then the smile left her face as she looked at her watch; it was almost twelve o'clock noon, and Don had not shown up yet, nor had he called.

Part 13 - Stings And Ethics

"Hi Don, this is Britt Maxwell," said the lovely raven-haired SBI Inspector as she called me on my Police iPhone. "I just wanted to update you on what's going on with Laura and Mike Todd."

"Glad you called." I said. "What's up?"

"We've got 'em cold." said Britt. "More than half of the State Medical Board. Taking bribes. We've got warrants and we're making arrests as we speak, of the Medical Board members as well as the people who paid them. Jack Muscone and his FBI team are helping us, as some of the payments were wired from out of State."

"Oh?" I asked. "Where from?"

"Acropolis City." said Britt, mentioning the capitol city of the State east of us, which was just east of Sparta, where Eastern State U. was. "And yes, Mr. Muscone is looking to see if there are any tie-ins to Jack Lewis."

"Good." I said. "So... what about my wife's medical license and Mike's law license?"

"One thing at a time, Don, one thing at a time." said Britt. "Let us get these bastards behind bars, first. I've talked to the Governor, and he says they'll take care of the license stuff after we get the criminal portion under control."

"Cool beans." I said. "And thanks for all your help."

"Thank you for holding back, and letting us handle it." said Britt. "This was so obvious and easy, I believe they expected for you to come in with guns and crowbars blazing, and then the Press could unload on you. But you didn't, and they're in shock right now... and in jail."

After a few more pleasantries, we disconnected. So... the Press was involved in this, I thought to myself. Withhold my surprise... but not my desire to avenge myself upon them---

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal iPhone going off, and it was the Governor calling. "Hi Don." he said. "How did the meeting with the NCAA go?..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Joanne and the others had gone to the house listed on the made-up case file of Charles McSwain, taking no chances that Boynton might get suspicious and check things out. Roy McGhillie was hiding in Prosecutor Redmond's office.

At 12:30pm, her cellphone rang. "Hello?" she said.

"Mary McSwain?"

"Who is this?" she asked back.

"This is Elton Boynton, the judge in your husband's sentencing case this morning?" said the voice of Boynton. "I'd like to meet with you today, and discuss your husband's case. I'm sure there may be mitigating circumstances that could help me reduce his sentence."

"That would be wonderful, Your Honor!" Joanne said, her voice sounding desperate and clutching. Cindy was thinking Joanne was doing a great acting job. "Should I come to the Courthouse?"

"No, this is... unofficial." said Boynton, his voice connoting smooth friendliness. "There's an artificial tropical park not far from the Courthouse. Why don't we meet there?"

"Are you sure it's okay?" Joanne asked.

"Oh yes, of course." said Boynton. "It'll be fine. When can you be there?"

"I can get there at two o'clock." Joanne said.

"Fine, fine." said Boynton. "We'll meet by the little water pool in the middle of the park. I'll see you then." With that, he hung up before she could say anything further.

"Yes, every bit of that was recorded." said Joanne as she pressed a button on her Police iPhone, which sent the conversation to evidence servers.

"He took the bait." Cindy said. "Okay, let's go put your wire on. I wish you could be wearing some armor, too."

"It'll be okay." Joanne said brightly.

"We'll have some of my Pottsville men in the area." said O'Brady. "When Boynton comes out and goes into that park, they'll be hiding all around."

"What about locals?" Cindy asked.

"We don't know who to trust." said O'Brady. "So we're going to arrest the guy, whisk him right up to Pottsville, where the murder occurred, and fight any fights we need to fight afterwards."

"Sounds like a plan." Cindy said. "And speaking of plans... the guy who thought out this hair-brained scheme is not here yet."

"He'll be here." said Joanne brightly. Cindy's vibe did not match Joanne's optimism.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Thursday, August 30th. Judge Elton Boynton exited the Courthouse building and went to his car for a moment. He looked around warily, not seeing anyone, though hidden eyes were watching him.

He walked over to the tropical park, again looking around warily. Then he went down one of the paths towards the water pool. As he neared it, he saw the beautiful young blonde woman sitting on the bench, looking nervous. Perfect, he thought to himself as he admired her crossed legs.

"Mrs. McSwain?" he said as he came up to her.

"Yes." said Detective Joanne Warner, playing her role. She stood up as he approached.

"What's your first name?" the judge asked.

"Mary." said Joanne.

"I'm glad you came, Mary." said Boynton, trying to sound soothing. "I don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to talk to you... about what you can do to make your husband's sentence a lot lighter... maybe even just a suspended sentence."

"Oh, that would be wonderful!" Joanne said. "What can I do to help?"

"What I suggest we do," said Boynton, "is drive down to the Hyatt Hotel near Midtown, and talk about things more... privately."

"Privately, Your Honor?" Joanne asked.

"Yes." said Boynton, his eyes boring into hers. "Privately and... intimately."

"Oh! I... I couldn't do that, Your Honor..." Joanne gasped.

"You love your husband, don't you?" asked Boynton. "You'd do anything for him... and to preserve your way of life, what you've become accustomed to, yes?"

"Uh, yes, sure." said Joanne, sounding appropriately apprehensive. "But... but you want me to sleep with you?"

"Just one afternoon of pleasure," said Boynton, "and you and your husband have your lives back. Is one afternoon of sex too much to pay?"

"I... I..." Joanne said, continuing the game, hoping to get more from him. "I can't cheat on my husband!"

"Suit yourself." said Boynton. "He faces a long, long prison term, and I can impose fines that will bankrupt him... and you. So! Shall we go? Or shall I return to the Courthouse..."