Ethical Dilemmas Ch. 02

Story Info
Setting up a sting; Don's solution to the University scandal.
10.8k words
4.78
8.5k
5

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/23/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography, which is currently not updating. Stories after Music Box Dancer are: Return To Apple Grove, Media Matters, Swamp Frogs, Man of God, Fathers and Sons, Fire In The Hole, Ethical Dilemmas.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 9 - Interviews

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, August 29th. "Fox Two News has learned that the NCAA will be meeting with University officials tomorrow morning about the Willy Gonzales sex abuse case!"

Cindy and I were driving down towards Palmyra County. I was watching and listening on my Police iPad, which was plugged into the Black Beauty's hot spot. The Black Beauty could receive television signals and relay them to the iPad by a specialized app. I get the feeling that Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart's technicians are having more fun than human beings should be allowed to have.

Bettina went on: "Representatives of the Conference as well as Eastern State University will be on hand at the meeting, as Coach Gonzales also coached at Eastern State before being murdered at an away game. Eastern State claims that they have no knowledge of any offenses by Coach Gonzales nor any other coaches while he was at Eastern State."

"Meanwhile, no one is commenting on what will be discussed at this meeting." Bettina said. "Sports experts are saying that this is a preliminary probe for the NCAA to determine if they will open a formal inquiry, which could lead to a lengthy probation or even the death penalty for the Bulldogs sports programs. The Bulldogs play Mountain State, a Division II school, this Saturday."

"And in State news, we go to Meredith Peller of Fox Midtown for a breaking story. Meredith!" said Bettina.

"That's right, Bettina!" said the pretty blonde reporterette as the feed switched to her. "Fox Midtown has learned that Leigh Lance, wife of convicted financier Lorenzo Lance, was murdered this weekend! Mrs. Lance was found dead as a result of a gunshot to her chest in a hotel in the Pottsville area."

More Meredith: "Her husband was sentenced to five consecutive 20-year terms on Monday, so he is not a suspect. The Pottsville Police, led by Detective Shane O'Brady, are investigating, and Fox Midtown News has learned that SBI Reservists Donald Troy and Cindy Ross are assisting Detective O'Brady in his inquiries."

Meredith: "The FBI is also taking an interest in the case, as they believe Lorenzo Lance might have had connections to Organized Crime. Lance had invested in the Pine Valley project before SBI Inspector Donald Troy exposed a coverup of chemical contamination at Pine Valley. No one is commenting on whether the murder of Leigh Lance is Mob-related."

"And finally, the chaos over the election of a new Lieutenant Governor continues!" said Meredith. "The Republicans are at fault, as they are viciously fighting among themselves over how to proceed. Grassroots Conservatives like Billy Williams and Johnny Purdue are bitterly opposing the plan by State House Ways & Means Chairman Wilson Hammonds for the political Parties to name their respective candidates through the old-fashioned way of conventions. Governor Jared has also said he does not support Hammonds's plan, but he also refuses to support any plan that involves an intentional runoff. This may not get resolved at all, meaning State Secretary of State Brian Cagle will set the parameters for the Special Election. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you Meredith!" said Bettina. "And finally, several news organizations in the State, including KXTC, KSTD, and our affiliates through the Fox family and the SNN conglomerate, have filed a lawsuit against the Town & County Police Department for closing their Press Room to the Press, and for not obligating Commander Donald Troy to speak to the Press and answer our questions! The lawsuit states that as a Public Service official, Commander Troy and the Police are obligated to inform the Press of their activities..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Damn." I said. "Funny how the Press can't say my name enough, just when I don't want them to."

"It's not a small story." Cindy said as she expertly steered the Black Beauty around other cars on the Midtown-University Highway. "Of course they're going to report on a murder with possible Mob connections."

"Yeah," I said, "but I was hoping that your name and my name would not be mentioned as being involved. C'est la guerre."

As Cindy turned onto the Hamilton County-Pottsville road, which paralleled the University-Nextdoor County-City Highway, she said "What's new on Amber Harris?"

"Nothing that I know of." I replied. "She pled 'not guilty' to the charges against her, and KXTC is providing her high-powered lawyers and all the money she needs to fight it out in Court. Her husband and his attorney are trying to get a plea deal where he turns State's Evidence against her. He also filed a criminal complaint against Nick Eastwood for showing up, citing trespassing and assault on himself, Mr. Harris."

"I didn't see any arrest of Eastwood in the duty logs." Cindy said.

"That's because Captain Perlman said there is insufficient probable cause for an arrest." I said. "She did assign McGhillie and Rodriguez to the case, to investigate it, so they have something to do."

"Mr. Harris is not making a Citizen's Arrest?" asked Cindy.

"Not with the TCPD's help, he's not." I said.

After a few moments of driving in silence, I said "You're still pissed at me for arresting Amber?"

"No." said Cindy. "I'm still pissed at you for going in there in the first place."

"And why is that?" I asked, acid in my voice.

"Because you escalated your war with the Press when you had her arrested." said Cindy. "Yes, she assaulted a Police Officer, but if you had not gone in there, she never would've attacked you, and likely not anyone else. Now she's in Court, and the Media is seething mad about it."

"You think what I'm doing vis-a-vis the Press is wrong?" I asked.

Cindy sighed. "No, but it's not about you being right or wrong. What they did to Laura and Tasha was beyond reprehensible, and you have every right to not speak to them and to tell them to go fuck themselves. But exposing their affairs, ripping their families apart, putting them in jail..."

"And you have ethical issues with that?" I asked.

"Not really." Cindy said. "As you've said, the Press in this country is rabid, totally out of control, and they hide behind the First Amendment while getting to abuse people and distort the truth with their Press power. I don't know what else can be done to stop them."

"Neither do I." I said. "I do know we can't capitulate and just let the bastards have their way."

"The problem is..." Cindy said, faltered, then started again: "Don, I'm scared someone is going to go 'Hardwood' on you. I'm scared for Laura, for Carole, for Jim, for Ian, for Ross, for Molly... for Callie. I remember what the Consultant had done to Jenna, and he tried to kill Teresa and me, he tried to kill your family, he tried to kill 2000 people in First Baptist Church. My point is... the Press can do the same things. Lester Holder could go nuts and do something violent. Amber did show that she was willing to use violence upon you; she attacked you right in front of other Officers, and she has no remorse about doing it. And it worries me what someone might do next."

"Well," I said, "I guess if they try to cross that line... I'll have another ethical dilemma confronting me."

"My point is that I don't want it to escalate to that point at all." Cindy said. "For the sake of our loved ones, Don. For their sakes."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We arrived at the Pottsville Police Department headquarters. O'Brady and Dooley were outside, and came up to our car.

"Don't come inside, guys." O'Brady said. "Let's drive straight down to Palm Creek."

We drove down to Palm Creek's government building, which contained their Fire, Police, EMTs, and Court buildings. We went inside to the cafeteria and got some coffee and sat down. Dooley excused himself to find a restroom to use.

"You got us out of Pottsville very quickly." I said. "Wilson Hammonds starting up trouble?"

"That's some of it." O'Brady said. "He made a call to our Sheriff yesterday, asked why Donald Troy was sticking his nose in Pottsville Police business. Our Sheriff knows you and says he welcomes your help in this murder case and would not entertain any 'requests' to discontinue that help. But we know there are Officers that are loyal to Hammonds, so I had you follow me down here." I nodded.

Cindy asked "Why is Hammonds sticking his beak into this? Covering up for someone?"

"Could well be." said O'Brady. "Hammonds has total control of our county, and influence in the area from Westphalia to Palmyra County. He has some powerful benefactors. I'd imagine he has no problems with us solving this case... as long as it doesn't affect any of those powerful friends. As long as Pottsville Police, meaning me, are working on it, he's okay. But if the Iron Crowbar is involved, then cats may escape bags, and Mr. Hammonds can't control it... because he can't control you, Don."

"Which is why you asked Don to be part of this." said Cindy.

"That's entirely possible." said O'Brady with a 'knowing' smile. "I'm a good Detective, but having you guys backing me up lets me breathe easier... and keeps me from having to make 'ethical' decisions." I grinned at that one, remembering my recent conversation with Cindy. The Green Crowbar was much less amused.

As Dooley was coming back to our table, O'Brady said "So what's the plan of action for today?"

"Why don't you guys talk to Anthony Scarpoli, and Ross and I will talk to Wendy Scarpoli." I suggested.

"What are we asking him?" asked Dooley.

"If he was having an affair with Leigh Lance. And/or Willa Wilson." I replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"By the way," Cindy said as we got into the Black Beauty, "I think I know why you want to talk to Wendy Scarpoli and don't care about Anthony. And therefore, I think I know who you suspect as Leigh Lance's killer." She named a name, which was correct.

"Give that Detective a crowbar!" I said. "So you see the links in the chain?"

"I think so." said Cindy. "I guess we'll see soon."

"Yes." I said. "Okay, Wendy Scarpoli goes to the local tanning salon around this time every week. Tans in the winter, gets a massage and manicure and pedicure in summer."

We went to the salon. The Asian woman at the counter said "So sorry, but Mrs. Scarpoli is in the massage room, and you will be unable to see her until she is done."

"Let me assure you," I said as I held up my SBI badge, "she's done. Now shall we go talk to her? Or will Palmyra County Sheriffs be making a raid of this establishment?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. Wendy Scarpoli was a lithe, brown haired woman in good physical shape. She was on her belly on the massage table, under towels. When Cindy and I walked in, she looked over at us, then sat up in shock, holding the towel to her.

"Who are you? Get the hell out!" she said angrily.

We held up our badges, and I introduced us with our SBI ranks and titles. "Mrs. Scarpoli, we have a couple of questions for you. It can be here, in privacy, or at the Palmyra County Sheriff's Office.

"What do you want?" she said.

"Your husband," I said, "was charged with several financial crimes some months ago. He was convicted of those charges, was he not?"

"Like you can't find that in the Court records?" Wendy snarled.

"Oh yes, I can." I said. "But what was interesting is that after his conviction, he was given an extremely light sentence, was he not?"

"What of it?"

"Are you aware that your friend Leigh Lance is dead?" I asked, my eyes boring into Wendy's.

"Yes. It's terrible."

"Any idea who murdered her?"

"I have no idea." Wendy said.

"I think you do." I replied. "Your husband gets off light, you keep your lifestyle, massages every week..."

"So what?" asked Wendy.

"Tell me, Mrs. Scarpoli," I asked, "do you know a man named Elton Boynton?"

"Should I?"

"He was the judge that sentenced your husband." I said "A very... light... sentence. But Leigh Lance's husband received an exceptionally heavy sentence."

"Not my problem." said Wendy.

"I'll ask again, and this time I want a yes or no answer." I said. "Have you ever met Judge Elton Boynton... outside his Courtroom?"

Wendy knew what I was asking. "I'm not answering any more of your questions without an attorney present. Get out of here. Arrest me if you want, and I'll just demand a lawyer and take the Fifth."

"Mrs. Scarpoli," said Cindy, "your friend was murdered. She's dead. Does that not mean anything to you?"

"Captain Ross," said Wendy, squaring up to Cindy, "can I buy you a massage?" Cindy got the message, and if looks could kill...

Part 10 - Issues and Answers

There was a park adjacent to the Palm Creek Government Complex. It had a walk that led through a lot of artificial palm trees and other foliage that was meant to recreate a tropical environment.

Cindy and I were sitting on a bench at an artificial pond along the walk, within the artificial tropical park. Cindy was not happy.

"So I was right? Judge Boynton?" she asked.

"Yep." I said. "it fits. What led you to it?"

"You wanted to talk to Wendy, and she just showed us she's unwilling to talk, even though her friend was murdered." said Cindy. "So I'm thinking she slept with Judge Boynton to get her husband's sentence reduced. I don't think her husband knows, which is why she won't speak out now."

"Not to mention she could be charged with several crimes if she did speak out without getting immunity first." I replied.

"Yes." Cindy said. "Anyway, that was the only thing to me that would fit Leigh having had sex just before she died. She had sex with Boynton to get her husband's sentence reduced. Why he killed her, though, I'm not sure. What are your links in the chain?"

"Same as yours," I said, "but I'll add the purse and the camera she bought. I don't know if Leigh knew what Wendy had done, but I think when Boynton approached Leigh with the 'offer' to sleep with him in exchange for a reduced sentence, she came up with the idea to videotape it and then turn him in to the authorities. But he caught her. He shot her through the pillow, took her purse with him, and went back home and disposed of all that evidence. Then he sentenced her husband so harshly that he wouldn't get out of jail for the rest of his life."

"And that's been the pattern." I continued. "Flip-a-coin Boynton gave sentences based upon whether or not the wife slept with him. No issues with any of his cases that didn't involve high-end rich guys that committed financial crimes. I doubt we'll get any of the women that did sleep with him to cooperate, and it's likely the ones who didn't won't have enough on him, that he'll have couched his 'offer' in vague terms."

"What are we going to do?" Cindy said. "And don't tell me you don't have a plan."

"Yes, yes I do." I said. "If we can't get a witness, we'll have to manufacture one."

"A sting?" Cindy asked.

"Ohhhhhhhh yeah." I said, and the gleam in my gray eyes was Cindy's clue that a bad time was coming for an evil man...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The women of 'Point Taken' filed into their studio at 9:00am on this Wednesday, August 29th to thunderous applause from the all-women, all-millennial audience. They took their seats, leaving a space for a guest.

"Hello and welcome to 'Point Taken'!" yelled Rosie Berkmar as the applause died down. "I'm sorry to say that Val Jared is still Governor..." The audience booed loudly.

"The good news," said Rosie Berkmar, "is that Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen is moving forward with his investigation. We've learned that three former Jared aides have appeared before the Special Grand Jury, and sources tell our parent station here at KSB that Mr. Mullen was very happy with their testimony."

"Our other topic today," said Zara Zeigler, "is the outright war between the Press and Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy. Many of you would ask why a local Police Officer gets this much attention, and the answer is that Commander Troy has State-wide status as an SBI Inspector, he's an FBI consultant.

"And you may have noticed," continued Zara, "that he has arrested and perp-walked some of the Nation's... not the County, nor the State, but the Nation's most powerful people, from Tom Cubbard at BigPharmaCorp, to Mitt Willis at BigAgraFoods, to Lieutenant Governor Graham Collins."

"But..."said Rosie Berkmar, "is Donald Troy powerful enough to stop those that buy ink by the barrel, the Press? Let's find out. Our next guest is a respected reporter for our affiliate KXTC, who has recently been targeted by Commander Troy's campaign of smears against the Media. Please welcome Amber Harris!" The audience applauded as the athletic blonde reporterette came out onto the stage and went to the empty seat and sat down.

"Amber," said Rosie Berkmar, "I guess the secret that you're pregnant is out." The audience laughed tepidly.

"Yes, the secret is out, thanks to Donald Troy." said Amber Harris.

"Let's just get down to brass tacks." said Ruby Russell. "There was an argument at your home after that disgusting tweet by Troy. The Police came, and they arrested both you and your husband... when normally just the husband is arrested." The television showed a photo of Amber with the bruising under her eye. "And it looks like you got the hell beat out of you, yet you were arrested."

"And Commander Troy was at that scene... personally." said Connie Chen. "The Police Commander, the second-highest ranking Officer on that Police Force, personally responded to that call, when normally Uniformed Officers, maybe a Sergeant, would handle it."

"And Deputy Chief Ross was there, also." said Amber. "And yes, how many domestic disturbance scenes does Commander Troy go to? Only the ones where reporters like me are involved. He was also at the traffic stop where Brian Jennings was arrested, which is not normal, either---"

Just then, several Federal Marshals entered the studio, well-armed and -armored. "Amber Harris," one of them said, "this is a warrant for your arrest, for violating the terms of your bail and leaving the jurisdiction of the Town & County." The hostesses and audience watched, stunned, as Amber Harris was arrested on live television and escorted out of the room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We didn't get a thing." said Shane O'Brady as we met for lunch at the same Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers. "Anthony Scarpoli talked to us readily enough, but he didn't have anything to give us. He denied having an extramarital relationship with Leigh Lance, and he said Leigh and Lorenzo seemed to love each other very much. He also did not know why he got such a light sentence as opposed to what Lorenzo Lance got, but he's not going to complain about his luck."

"It wasn't luck." I said. "We got nothing from Wendy Scarpoli, but got implicit confirmation of what I was suspecting." I then told them of our encounter with Wendy.