All Comments on 'Europa'

by Greenbill

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Well done

Some problems with the amount of energy required to change trajectories so drastically, but hey, this isn't a physics class.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Long distance journey alone?

I would imagine that such a long journey would be unlikely to be conducted as a solo mission. Sending one person in a cramped weightless environment is, first of all, very bad news for the human morphology. I have met a few real astronauts and they all say that despite the exercise programme onboard the ISS, they still lost core strength. The exercise helped slow calcium loss and kept muscle strength reasonably well, but being in a zero G environment long term is very bad for the human body.

If we consider building space-craft for such long journeys, then I am going with them being large enough to be able to grow and produce plenty of food, have sufficient raw material storage to allow any needed repair and maintenance to be accomplished (including new parts manufacture) and the wherewithal to properly process waste material and enable its continued use in some form (including the sewerage).

I noted someone else mentioned seemingly impossible trajectory redirections. Laws of Physics in this universe should still apply. Do not flout them for a story unless it really was just a wild dream (even then curb your ambitions).

No stars, sorry.

Crusader235Crusader235over 3 years ago
Love

I Love Samantha taking care of her human. We can only hope our future AI's, and Robots will not become terminators. Five Stars!

GreenbillGreenbillover 3 years agoAuthor
Of course

Of course there is fiction in this work. Perhaps adding warp-drive, teleportation and a holo-deck would make it more scientifically accurate? But those technologies are trademarked by the Viacom.... ;)

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Too Far Out

Enough study has been conducted by space-faring nations already that show long-duration space flight would best be conducted by craft with multiple individuals due to psychological needs. So, right from the beginning, this story was deeply flawed and it continued on from there. Since you don't provide a time reference you push the reader to assume what we know at present, not what may have been possible in the future with further technological advances.

NASA, even years ago, uses multiple facilities and kinds of devices to track spacecraft- they would have known long before that the craft was returning to Earth and found a way to communicate this to their astronaut (the AI notwithstanding).

A six-year mission would require a large spacecraft capable of growing food and all that goes with it. But most of all, there is already a large space station as the ultimate destination for long-term use and occupancy--no way would they ever send a single person at such expense. I can suspend some logic for the sake of a good tale--this story fails on both counts as I can't suspend all logic and it was a poor story.

forge52100forge52100over 3 years ago

Enjoyable story, but would have preferred her to make the trip to the station. Lots more room for further stories there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

First of all, 5 stars since it was entertaining and ended going in a completely different direction than expected which is usually a great thing.

Secondly, why do people bother to read and complain about fiction as though it were a factual telling. It is in the science FICTION area so if you want real then go to a library and get a history book.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userGreenbill@Greenbill
Not a professional writer, just like to exercise the brain from time to time. Writing these stories is like putting a puzzle together, making all the pieces fit. The topics I write about almost always start with a 'what if...' and then the words flow from there. I guess, th...