Eva's Valentine's Day Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, Mandy, you're so brave."

"No, I'm not... I'm just glad to be free from him. I miss my brother terribly, but nothing I do will ever bring him back and this is a chance for a new life that I can build. I don't want Steve appearing on my doorstep in the future."

"I'm sorry... I think I understand."

Eva squeezed Mandy's knee, not sure of how complicit she was now, knowing the truth.

"So, you were able to find work to carry you through?"

"Oh, no... This is Mark's old job. I'd love to go back to doing something I used to do would be so much more interesting."

"What did you used to do?"

"I've had various office jobs in factories, mainly stock control or stores or good inwards."

"Which was how you understood some of my work?"

"Yeah, but I won't be able to use my old CV... The hardest part was finding Mark's notebook with his passwords to his email accounts, so I could write an email to his HR, outlining I was transitioning from Mark to Mandy. I stayed off, isolating as long as I dared and then gave negative tests. They were understanding and moved me to a more sympathetic workgroup and gave me training. Thankfully, Mark was very much a loner, so no one knew any different when I arrived in a mask."

"But you'd still be Mark, a man, legally on your passport?"

"I don't care; I need to be free from that monster... My real name is Christine, but I can't bear the thought that one day I may hear Steve call out that name in the street to me and I'll turn to acknowledge it and give myself away. Mandy was an obvious, simple way for Mark to transition to. I'll change his name by deed poll later this year."

"Maybe in a few years, when I feel more comfortable, I may find the man of my dreams, but until then, I just want to sleep without fear or relive that awful night."

Mandy looked at Eva, her face exhausted and eyes red, but relieved to have told someone.

"But surely, anyone knowing your cover story will expect you to have something extra?"

Eva raised her hand and wiggled her little finger.

"I hadn't thought that far ahead, but now I've had the chance to read up on it... I'll go on holiday and claim I went abroad to have the surgery, so I'd be fully transitioned."

"You will need to get to know Ted next door... He misses the old Mark. If you help him with the bins next week and add a little conversation, he may become an ally and friend."

"How could you have met him?"

"When I put your kitchen bin liner out the back, he introduced himself. He wants his friendly neighbour back."

"He's a harmless soul, but he'll know I'm fake, so I've been avoiding him."

"He knows you wear dresses, and I confirmed it... If you act like Mark, he may forgive you that transgression and at an appropriate time whilst pretending to be Mark, call him 'Father Ted', but treat him as a mate."

Mandy nodded, smiling back at Eva. The two women watched each other, pondering their next move. Eva shot first.

"This morning on the bridge, were you going to jump?"

"Oh, god no... It's my way of keeping Mark alive and connecting with him. Before he was a gaming geek, he was a train spotter. As a kid, I would join him watching the trains go by. Plus, I hope that if I hear enough trains, it will erase the sound of Mark bouncing and tearing apart between the two."

Mandy couldn't cry anymore, but the pain ran deep inside her eyes. Eva believed her, knowing she couldn't walk out on her now she knew. Eva is now committed to her choice of being the Good Samaritan. Mandy looked at her with her puppy dog eyes.

"Is the offer still open for me to do your cleaning?"

Mandy reminded herself of her obligations in the role of the Good Samaritan and her previous pros and cons of having a cleaner.

"Yeah," she looked at the time on the carriage clock. They'd been there most of the afternoon and it would be dark outside. She couldn't leave Mandy until she was sure she was okay.

"How about you get dressed and I'll take you home, so you can see what you're signing up for. I've a casserole in a slow cooker, enough for the both of us if you like?"

"I'd love that."

Mandy dried her eyes, sat up, and picked up the discarded tissues around her.

"No... I can do that. You focus on getting dressed."

Mandy went to pass Eva the collected tissues, but seeing her tut in frustration, she placed them on the sofa between them and rose. She checked the towel around herself and headed off to the stairs, picking up the aerosol can.

Eva found herself watching Mandy's naked legs and small, tight backside as she made her return trip upstairs. Eva felt the hunger for another female body return. She'd missed having a special person in her life, with the closeness of friendship and body that it brings. She made a mental note that it was time to try to get back out there.

As she collected the tissues littered around, Eva went through the choices available and how she could put herself back out on the social rounds. Omicron had put paid to her last attempts. Everyone was being cautious, even with pubs and clubs open.

Whilst working from home was convenient, it didn't help her social life. Being attached to several hospitals, their inevitable flow of female nurses and clinicians, all with active social lives, made for an exciting pool of possibilities.

Even at twenty-eight, she was still attractive to student nurses, trying to expand their sexual experiences, whilst also an appealing long term prospect to women in her age range. She'd always found the one hospital's planning manager attractive, but working from home, killed any opportunity to meet anyone casually whilst grabbing a coffee, or flirt at either end of a meeting.

Eva collected and compressed down the tissues in the kitchen bin, so she didn't need to risk meeting Ted outside again, emptying the bin. She washed her hands in the sink, seeing the world outside was once again dark.

As she dried her hands, Eva heard tentative footsteps padding down the stairs. She found Mandy in the hall, hanging up coats. With her back to her, Eva found herself admiring her legs, but a sparkly jumper hung over her backside.

Tut Tut, Your the Good Samaritan, remember? Not some vampish huntress.

As Mandy tucked the third coat up, she turned to see Eva watching her.

"No need for coat duvets, now the heating is on. I really can't thank you enough. I feel like a new woman."

Mandy stopped in her tracks, seeing Eva left her transfixed and a little gob smacked. Mandy was the prettiest plain Jane Eva had ever seen. Eva could barely note any makeup, a little on lipstick, maybe a little eyeliner, but her face shone.

Mandy was the confirmation of less is more. Her black, sparkly jumper seductively hung off her breasts and shoulders, falling to the right in a false knot. Her jumper hung over a pair of dark grey leggings and black flat shoes.

Without the hood around her head, her jet black hair framed her face perfectly, with a sheen that any model would be jealous of. Her blue eyes penetrated through a lock of hair strategically dropped over one eye.

"I hope you don't mind? I wanted to feel a little girly without going overboard. At work, I have to play this transitioning persona, dabbing a little too much make-up and accidentally dropping into male mannerisms..."

"No, you look fine... I've tidied up all the tissues, so you needn't worry."

Mandy grinned... "My OCD is dying to check, sorry. Shall we go?"

Mandy handed Eva her coat and plucked a nice black puffer jacket off the rack.

"It's just nice to see you out of that hoody. I've locked the back door."

Mandy led them through the door, out into the street. Eva unlocked her car, as Mandy locked her front door. The two women settled into the car and Eva drove home.

"Ah... Eva, is there a Mister Eva?"

"No, never has been... I prefer the fairer sex..."

"You sure? You can't be. You're nothing like the butch girls at work."

"Butch ones? Are we all supposed to be like that, then? The archetypical lesbian, short hair and butch."

Eva tried not to look at Mandy as her blood boiled.

"For someone who is pretending to transition, you're a little bigoted."

"But..."

Mandy could hear the anger in Eva's voice.

"Lucy and Bev are the only ones I know."

"Well, now you know another one..."

Eva's shoulders clumped in a sulk, not wanting the discussion to go further and not sure she wanted Mandy in her house now...

"I... I'm sorry Eva, I didn't mean to offend, but empathy is low down my list at the moment... I've a few demons to put to rest first."

Mandy sat alongside Eva, looking at her as she wound their short way through the housing estates. This woman climbed up a bridge to sit and befriend her when she needed it most.

"I'm sorry Eva... I truly am... You're right, I'm being self-centred and bigoted. It's no wonder no one likes me at work..."

"That can't be true."

"The first week terrified me, in case anyone discovered me as a fraud, so by being over-cautious I pushed people away and now they just carry on in their cliques. So if there isn't a Mr Eva... Is there a miss?"

Eva gave her a brief look this time.

"Really?"

Eva pulled the car into a short driveway and stopped the car. Her hands remained on the steering wheel. She shook her head, deep in thought, to give a short giggle.

"Okay, I give in... No, there is no Miss or Mrs Eva. My last girlfriend was more of a convenient distraction for both of us. When they threatened the first lockdown, she returned to France and her family. We keep in touch, but we're barely friends."

Mandy wanted to ask further, but Eva opened the door to leave the car, signalling the conversation was over. Mandy followed her, impressed at the large 1950s house, with a bay window and the front door set back in a small brick porch.

Following Eva inside, Mandy found the timber floored hallway was almost as large as her lounge. Mandy closed the door behind her and took off her coat to hang it alongside Eva's.

"Come on into the kitchen, so we can check on the casserole. It should be ready by now."

Mandy popped her shoes off and followed Eva through a door at the end of the hall, into the kitchen. Mandy soaked in the kitchen's warmth, and the aroma of a winter warming casserole. Again, the kitchen was larger than her lounge, with more counter space than she had empty floor space.

"Wow Eva, your house is lovely."

"Thanks. Luckily, I had the kitchen done just three years ago. The old one was very 90s, sad and tired."

Eva popped the lid of the slow cooker pot off and stirred, pleased to see Mandy peering over her shoulder, appreciating her culinary skills with a quiet, "mmm."

"How about I give you the tour, then we can eat."

Mandy was already in OCD mode. Despite her height, her arm went up and stroked a finger along each shelf and cupboard top. More than ample for your average homeowner, but not for Mandy, who smiled politely. She ducked into the cupboard under the sink, where everyone keeps their cleaning products.

"I'll need to get some cleaner. Lidl is cheaper and you get more."

Eva watched her politely take inventory of all the cupboards, humming and smiling as she went, finding the dishwasher, to inspect it. When finished, Mandy stood, pleased with her inspection.

"Is the vacuum under the stairs?"

Eva acknowledged by taking her out and opening the stair cupboard, showing the ironing board, hoover and shoe rack. Mandy ducked inside for a hunt.

"Dusters?"

"Behind the ironing board, there are some narrow shelves."

Mandy emerged, with some grubby dusters, "Lidl will have a dozen for next to nothing and we can wash these."

Mandy headed back into the kitchen to pop the dusters into the washing machine. She returned to find a smiling Eva...

"What?"

"You're hired. You're enjoying this way too much for it to be a chore."

Mandy grinned and followed Eva upstairs, to the main bedroom, where she was more diplomatic in her inspection. She ignored closed wardrobes, cupboards and drawers, but again ran her hands over furniture tops, and behind the vanity mirror, to show Eva her fingers carrying dust.

She inspected the small en-suite, to return non-judgemental. She repeated the inspection in the spare room and bathroom.

"Do you have spare bath mats, as this one needs a clean?"

Eva nodded, "Uh-huh," as she blushed with guilt, but enjoyed watching Mandy. She opened the third bedroom door to show Mandy her office. She was sure this was the tidiest room in the house, to have Mandy return with two used tea mugs, smiling.

"I don't know if I want you to look further."

Eva laughed, following Mandy downstairs.

Mandy deposited the two mugs into the dishwasher. She proceeded past Eva to stand at the lounge door, looking for clearance.

"Dare I delve deeper?"

"Well, you're hired, miss OCD... Fill your boots."

Mandy laughed as she opened the door to gasp when she flicked the light switch, stepping from the Hallway's hardwood floor into the double-sized lounge onto the deep soft carpet.

"Some previous owner knocked the lounge and dining room into one."

Mandy went to inspect the curtains and rails before she swished them closed. She repeated her inspection of shelves, bookcases, behind the enormous TV screen and the cable box tucked deep inside the TV cabinet.

"I love your glass table and chairs. Very modern."

Mandy moved the sofa away from the wall to peer at the dust on the skirting board behind. Her fingers trailed over the top of mirror frames and picture frames and she peered into the up lighting lampshade.

Eva couldn't bear the suspense...

"You accept?"

Mandy burst out laughing.

"I accepted the minute you asked, back at my house... I'm just pleased to have something else to occupy my time, to pay you back for your kindness and sympathetic ear."

"Oh, that is wonderful... It's not too bad... Is it?"

"No... Not at all, it's just not up to my OCD levels," Mandy laughed.

"Phew, so shall we say eight pounds an hour?"

"Oh, no I couldn't... Cash in hand and `mates rates', say four?"

"Well, if we're friends... But I'll meet you halfway, six."

Mandy grinned and Eva instinctively put her hand out and the two women shook on the deal, possibly their first handshake with anyone for two years.

"Watching your inspection has made me hungry. Are you ready to eat?"

"My stomach has been rumbling since those breakfast rolls."

Eva walked back to the bookcase, pulled a drawer open, pulling two placemats, coasters and cutlery out to lay the table.

"Do you like wine? I've a nice Red to go with a casserole."

"Yeah, but not too much. I've not drunk in ages."

Mandy followed Eva back out to the kitchen and out the back door into a large conservatory, which was freezing cold.

"Don't worry, I don't expect you to clean here, well maybe not until spring when we can sit back out here. Now, all it's good for is keeping the wine cool."

Next to a cycle training machine was a small wine rack. Eva pulled a few out and selected one for them to take back to the kitchen.

"I've some nice granary bread if you like?"

"Please."

Mandy opened the bread bin to find a sliced loaf and a half-used granary loaf. Pulling the bread out, she found the breadboard behind and placed them on the countertop. Mandy handed her a bread knife.

"Do you mind if I have the knobby?"

"No, that's okay, Mandy... I don't like the ends. I'm happy with two slices. I've butter and margarine."

"Butter will be nice for a change, thick or thin slices?"

"Thick."

Eva ducked into the fridge and picked out the butter, passing it to Mandy.

Mandy cut and buttered the slices for both of them. Found plates and tidied the bread away, placing the used knife in the dishwasher. Eva had two bowls filled, the wine opened and two wine glasses were already on a tray. Mandy followed Eva into the lounge and they sat at the glass table.

Eva poured some red into Mandy's glass.

"Say when."

As the glass was only half full, Mandy confirmed, "Oh, that's fine... Ooo, I feel as if I'm in some posh restaurant."

The two women laughed, as Eva raised her glass up for a toast, "to friends."

Mandy's heart pumped, "friends."

She'd not had a friend since Steve had chased them all away, although they were really only work colleagues. She looked up at Eva as she sipped the sharp liquid, relieved that she had befriended her. That she knew her darkest secret without judgment made her even more special.

Being such a caring soul, Mandy couldn't understand why Eva didn't have a partner. She was more than pretty. Her long blond hair, brown eyes and curvaceous body would be attractive to either sex. Mandy blushed as she imagined Eva being her girlfriend. Then she shook the silly notion away.

"This is lovely, so you prepared all this, this morning."

"Yeah, once back from my MOT, I was going to have a tidy up in the back garden. It's all a bit overgrown from summer, now all the leaves are off, I can cut it all back easier. So I wouldn't have to prepare anything once the dark brought me back inside."

"You've made loads, more than enough for one. Were you hoping to meet anyone?"

"Noo... You were just a nice fluke... I planned on walking up along the Cotswolds Sunday, so once again I could return home to something precooked, so I could just pop it in the microwave."

"Ah, sorry, I've just ruined your Sunday."

"No, it's far nice to have company for a change."

"Thanks... I like this restaurant..."

The pair of diners laughed and toasted each other once more.

Eva had forgotten how nice it was to share a meal with a woman on these terms. After their conversation in the car, knowing anything romantic was off the table. It pleased her it was all behind them and both women were more relaxed as they continued to chat and eat.

Mandy was ecstatic, if not a little full, with this being the largest meal she'd had an appetite to eat in a long time. Eva made perfect company. Mandy had never felt such friendship from anyone, making it even more special. After Mandy had insulted her in the car, Eva had rebooted to her standard settings, forgiving her.

Eva finished, whilst Mandy was still slowly trying to finish her meal.

"Sorry, did I give you a bit too much?"

"I shouldn't have filled up on bread, but it is far more than I would normally have. I've not had much of an appetite for a while."

"So a top-up of wine and the offer of a tub of tiramisu or a chocolate sponge pudding would be too much?"

"Haha... You temptress... I couldn't possibly decline such an offer, although I think I'll need to let this go down a bit."

Mandy finished her last mouthful, leaned back in her chair, blowing her cheeks out, "Stuffed... Thanks."

"Would you prefer to sit on the sofa to let things go down? If you want to bring the rest of your drink over or if you'd prefer coffee or tea."

"I'm more worried about spilling red wine on that wonderful cream carpet of yours."

"Well, your feet are dry and there aren't any steps. Come on, you can use the coffee table like me."

Eva carried her glass to the faux leather sofa and pulled the central coffee table closer. She shuffled two coasters out of a pile and placed her glass in front of the middle seat. She placed Mandy's drink in front of the comfier corner seat.

She turned to catch Mandy tidying up.

"Now, now, no OCD cleaning here tonight, you're my guest..."

Mandy picked up all the dirty washing and made her way to the kitchen.

"I won't be able to relax seeing it there."

Mandy placed all the dirty plates and cutlery in the dishwasher and returned to the lounge. Eva sat in the middle seat, patting the corner seat, which already had Mandy's nearly finished glass on its coaster.

"Thanks."