Eva's Valentine's Day Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They all look attractive, although SueSunFlower is way older than us."

The two friends giggled, although Eva's use of including Mandy by using `us' helped seal their friendship for Mandy.

"Don't get picky yet. This could be all you've got for your Valentine's Day choices."

"Okay, miss dating guru. What do we do now?"

"Be nice back... For example, SueSunFlower's message. Thank her for her friendly comments about your photos and profile, confirm it is Dubrovnik. As she loves walking, ask her what her favourite walk is. Find something in common and expand on it."

Eva typed away, as Mandy cleared the table, filled the now empty dishwasher and put the kettle back on.

"Done SueSunFlower's reply, before I send, what do you think?"

"You're asking me?"

"Well, you are my Valentine's Day campaign manager."

The two laughed as Mandy read through the PM reply.

"That's fine."

Mandy handed back her phone and went to the now finished kettle to fill the teapot, adding fresh tea bags. Eva sent the PM and moved on to reply to her other PMs. Mandy returned to her stool at the breakfast bar with the teapot.

"Okay... What do you think about this one?"

Mandy read through, giggled, and tweaked the reply.

"You must be getting excited, a couple of spelling mistakes and you missed that she had put a red heart, hinting at Valentine... So I added a little cryptic reply."

Eva reread the PM, giggled, and smiled at Mandy.

"Love it."

She continued until they'd sent all four.

By the time Eva had sent the last, with Mandy's approval, Mandy had finished her tea and was swilling her mug out ready for later.

"I'm going to hoover the lounge, then the spare room. As I am up there, I'll run the hoover over your bedroom and the stairs. If you're going outside to garden, I can make us coffee for half ten?"

"Aw Mandy, you're not a maid. I'd love a coffee at half ten with my campaign manager and friend."

"It's no trouble. I'm sure I can work out your coffee machine. It's only those little tin cartons."

Eva gave Mandy a scornful look.

"Okay."

Mandy smiled apologetically and left the kitchen for Eva to hear the hoover switching on in the lounge. Eva washed her mug and went to find a jumper to wear. The two worked separately through the morning.

At ten-thirty, Eva was busy filling her council green recycle wheelie bin with some of the hedge cuttings from her work, to hear Mandy knocking on the kitchen window. She glanced up to see her smiling at her, waving their two mugs, turning them upside down, to prove she hadn't filled them.

Eva was glad to return to the warmth of the house and Mandy's company. She showed Mandy how to work her coffee machine, using the various coffee pods, and then produced the last of a Christmas cake for them.

As they chatted, Eva checked her phone for messages. Scrolling through a few work orientated emails, an alert from the dating app caught her eye.

"MaggieWill95 has returned our PM and we have two more."

Eva tapped at her phone to start the app and look at MaggieWill95's PM.

"Haha, cheeky cow... She's suggested if I play my card's right she'd be my hot date for Valentine and to start my application I'm to meet her for a coffee Sunday morning. She suggests the Costa's in town, the one in the shopping centre... She goes on, a little cryptic but clever and witty."

"Wow, you've not even been on the app twenty-four hours yet, it seems you're not the only one in the race for a Valentine."

Eva scrolled through the other PMs she'd received.

"Ugh no... Should I delete ones I don't like?"

"Yeah, they're probably used to being ignored if they're that bad. What does she say?"

"Er... She goes into detail about what she would like to do to me, in fishnets and heels... You don't need to know, Ugh... It's deleted."

Eva scrolled on...

"Oh, much more pleasant... Look at her profile. She suggests meeting up for a coffee this afternoon, as she's in town, but busy tomorrow."

Eva passed Mandy her phone, who read the PM, then clicked through to her profile.

"Nice profile. Her photos are chic, especially the black and white pics. She's tastefully avoided any headshots. She seems safe enough... A farmer with a smallholding, so no power plays or office chat."

Mandy passed the phone back to Eva, who looked pensive, with a furrowed brow, deep in thought.

"You okay? Is it all too soon?"

Eva nodded.

"Now I'm back on the horse I'm a little nervous."

"I'm not surprised after being all those lockdowns and working from home, we're all cranky... Me being a case in point... What if I come along to be a safety net? Rather than a corny random phone call, that is in every rom-com film used as a get-out."

"You sure?"

"Yes... I could give you fifteen minutes to get acquainted and come in for a coffee. If you wave in recognition, I could come over, sit, and chat. No one wants a third wheel. You could introduce me as a work colleague... If you ignore me, I'll get a takeout and catch the bus home."

"That sounds a little more plausible... If you give me your number, I could text to wave you off or plead for rescue."

"That may be a little lame and rude."

"Ah, you're right... Let's swap numbers anyway... There's a new boutique opposite the other side of the concourse. If we sit outside, you'd be able to see me. If I furiously scratch my head, come rescue me..."

"Stop worrying, they may both be the perfect date and you'll have to choose."

But what will you do in the meantime?"

"It's okay. I've not window shopped in a while. Once I know you're happy, I'll catch the bus home."

"You sure about this?"

"Yeah, what else have I to do, or I could stay here and finish dusting?"

"No, I'd be more comfortable knowing I have a safety net with you there."

"If you agree to three, then we can finish here, have some lunch. Then I'll have time to walk home and change before you pick me up. Then we can put the next stage of our Valentine's Day date campaign to work."

"How will they recognise me?"

"Do you have anything unusual, like a unique hat?"

"I'm not wearing a hat indoors... As a tease, I could wear red and carry a red handbag?"

"No tartan micro-mini?"

"No, I'm not wearing that for them... Well, not yet anyway."

The two women chuckled at their plan. Eva typed away, responding to the PMs, and Mandy went to the hall to fetch her phone from her coat pocket. As soon as Eva had finished, they swapped phone numbers. Mandy was jubilant. To have a genuine friend on her contact list at last.

The two returned to their tasks, Eva back in her garden and Mandy cleaning the kitchen. A few times, Eva paused in her task to look back at the kitchen window. Seeing Mandy beavering away, Eva felt a pang of loss. Mandy would be her perfect catch, being such a friend at short notice and very attractive in her plain Jane way, with a gorgeous body...

When Eva finished for lunch, the warmth of the kitchen embraced her with a wonderful smell of cooking.

"Hi, whilst cleaning I found your soup maker, so I thought I could multi-task and cook... I've made an off-the-cuff leftover soup... I hope you don't mind?"

Mandy had changed back into her sparkly jumper and leggings, looking very proud of herself... Despite Eva's frustration at Mandy dropping into 'maid' mode, she couldn't be angry with her, as it did smell lovely.

"I thought I told you not to cook?"

Mandy gave her puppy dog eyes...

"You said coffee... So I've made soup and tea, thinking you'd need warming up after being out in the cold."

"You're terrible Mandy and that's why I Lu..."

Eva paused. In her haste, she nearly let the cat out of the bag.

Mandy looked wide-eyed at her, waiting to finish her sentence.

"I like you so much, you daft thing, you..."

Thankfully, it seemed to work...

Mandy smiled and put two soup bowls out on the breakfast bar and poured the tea. Eva took her coat and boots off, slipped on her slippers and went to wash her hands. Mandy spooned the soup out into the bowls and cut the last of the granary bread.

Eva washed her hands in the bathroom upstairs, still full of mixed feelings. Mandy could be the catch of a lifetime and yet... CIS women can get upset if they think another woman has a crush on them. Others take it as a compliment, but she didn't want to risk losing Mandy. Coming down the stairs, Eva tried to reboot back to normal relationship settings.

"Come on, sit down. There's enough left over for another bowl, so I've filled one of your soup storage bowls. Once it's cool, we can pop it in the fridge."

The two sat at the breakfast bar once more and ate.

"Oh, Mandy... I can't thank you enough... Mmm, this is lovely. What recipe is this?"

"I just grabbed some leftovers and followed the instruction book."

"You found the instructions? I thought I'd lost them."

"No, I found it pushed to the back of a drawer. All it took was a thorough spring cleaning. Now it's with your cookbooks on the shelf."

Eva couldn't resist a laugh, pleased with her wonderful OCD cleaning new friend.

"The kitchen is much cleaner, thanks... Judging by the taste of this and your carrot cake this morning, these aren't just a lucky first time?"

Mandy blushed.

"You got me there... I had to get my mind off my problems during the last two lockdowns. I enjoyed cooking, although, like everyone else, I struggled with getting flour and rice. It forced me to try different meals and styles of cooking."

The two continued to chat as they ate. After, whilst sipping tea, Eva checked the app. Both women had confirmed their coffee dates. No new PMs had arrived, so Mandy put the dishes away, with protests from Eva not to be her maid.

After thanking Eva, Mandy left and headed out to return home. Eva only had to wipe the countertops, as Mandy had done everything else. She had even cleaned the soup maker. Eva couldn't resist checking the lounge. She had never seen the glass-topped table crystal clear.

Eva felt guilty using the lounge, so returned to the kitchen to make another mug of tea and phoned her mother. When the time came, she changed into a black skirt, with black tights, a tight red jumper, to match her red coat and handbag.

She drove to Mandy's house, annoyed at how excited she was. The anticipation of seeing Mandy again was far greater than the impending coffee date. As she parked up, she saw Mandy's excited head pop out her door, smile, then duck back in.

Mandy stepped out wearing a nice black wool coat, with tall black boots, topped off with a small black beret. She locked her door and headed for the car. She opened the door to sit first and then pull her legs in. Eva's eyes locked onto her legs, watching her coat ride up, to reveal black tights over perfect knees. She tried to keep her mouth closed as she watched her tuck into the seat and pull the seat belt across her chest.

"Hi Eva, I didn't want to keep you waiting."

"Bloody hell, Mandy, you look gorgeous."

Eva now wished she had worn a hat.

Mandy blushed.

"Thanks, but look at you... No Tartan micro-mini?"

"Haha, no..."

Eva drove them into town, to park in the multi-story car park. They had time, so meandered around, window shopping. As they closed in on the shopping centre, Mandy dropped back and began ducking into shops to give Eva room.

At three o'clock, as Eva stepped into the Costa Coffee in the centre, Mandy noted the time and wandered to the boutique opposite Costa. Eva joined the queue to see a single woman at a table in the window, giving her a wave.

Eva swallowed her nerves, broke from the line and wandered over. As her coffee date stood to knock elbows.

"Hi, I'm Pony Petra Pet. I can only assume you're Mae West."

"Yeah, hi, I'm Eva. I'll go buy a coffee and be back in a jiffy."

Whilst waiting for the barista to announce his coffee was ready, Eva checked the time ticking away. Their plan hadn't countered for this. She hadn't given Pony Petra or whatever her real name was a fair try. She quickly typed a text.

[ Mandy, 10 more mins... still getting coffee. Thx. ]

Feeling better about herself, she collected her coffee and sat back down with Pony Petra. Who informed her she was Penelopy with a 'Y' not an 'E'. As she droned on, Eva soon regretted asking Mandy to wait for another ten minutes.

Mandy was happy to spend ten more minutes perusing the lingerie in the boutique. She had loads of supermarket cheap end underwear but nothing to make her feel special... Flicking through the one rack; she glanced up to see people sitting outside Costa's but no Eva.

She peered across to see Eva scratching her head, sitting at a table inside the cafe. Mandy placed the hangers back on the nearest rack and, as calmly as possibly crossed the concourse to enter the Cafe. The relief on Eva's face was obvious, as she waved politely to attract her attention.

Mandy walked directly over to their table, ignoring the date, her stomach full of butterflies. She never liked confrontation, but felt braver, seeing as Eva needed help. Eva stood as she got close, but neither friend was sure what to do.

Eva was now panicking. This woman was unbelievable. She hadn't stopped talking about herself, not one question about Eva, not even a polite enquiry. Worse still, she hadn't even bothered to dress for the date. She still wore a riding jacket, jodhpurs and riding boots. Even worse was the prevailing horse smell from her.

As Mandy closed in on her, Eva knew saying she was a work colleague wouldn't work with this selfish, extrovert. She needed a mild shock to shut her up.

"Hi, I thought it was you, Mandy."

"Hi Eva, long time no see."

Before Mandy could string out about her needing a coffee or wait for Eva's prompt, Eva hugged her, kissing her on her cheek. Mandy responded, although a little stunned by her reaction, trying to catch up on her dilemma.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mandy this is Penelopy with a 'Y'... Penelopy, this is my ex, Mandy."

Eva stepped to one side, so Mandy obscured her to Penelopy. She winked and mouthed 'Save me'. Mandy wrapped her arms around her and turned to Penelopy.

"Yes... And I never should have let her down as I did... Eva, could you forgive me and be mine again?"

Penelopy stood up, furious.

"I'll make it easier for you. I'm off and you can forget us riding together at sunset, along any beach."

She stormed off, her riding boots clacking on the hard tiled floor of the concourse outside. Anyone nearby who'd heard the conversation was staring at the couple, who now hugged and laughed.

"Oh my, Eva I'm shaking... I need a coffee now."

"Mandy, you absolute star, you saved me from pony death... she even smelled of them. You sit down and I'll get you one... Cappuccino or Latte, frothy mocca-chocca or what?"

"Just a simple cappuccino, no chocolate sprinkles, thanks."

Mandy didn't want to sit in the warm vacated seat, so swapped it with an empty one close by and removed her coat. Eva waiting at the counter turned and watched Mandy move Penelopy's half-finished drink to a nearby empty table where others had left theirs to then sit down.

Eva's jaw hit the floor, seeing Mandy with her coat off. She was wearing a narrow pencil black, with black tights, accentuating her svelte body and legs. Her ensemble was topped off with a tight, wine glass shaped, white cotton shirt overhanging her skirt, making her the spitting image of Uma Thurman. Not in Kill Bill, but as she was in the diner dance scene in Pulp Fiction.

Oh, Jeez... Be still my heart... Give her black slacks and I could dance with her all night.

As Eva was served, she missed Mandy trying to relax as she fidgeted with excitement at being identified as Eva's ex. Eva returned with Mandy's drink and two celebratory Pain-Aux-Raisin pastries.

"You really saved my bacon there. She was a nightmare... Despite me trying all kinds of escape clauses, but she would not listen to anyone but herself... I'm so glad you were here, or I'd have had to walk away and risk her stalking me on her horse, which is probably tied up outside."

Eva giggled, trying to hide her nerves.

"Well, first one down. Let's hope it gets easier... Red suits you."

"Thanks... Now I'm not so confident about this type of dating."

"Maybe we jumped the gun in meeting prospective dates too soon, without time to go through the applicants, swap more PMs and get to know them."

"No, I think just unlucky. We've only got five weekends before the big day to arrange my Valentine date."

The two chatted and enjoyed their trophy pastry and coffees. They discussed the plans for later and Sunday morning's next coffee date. Once finished, they wandered around town. Whilst window shopping and chatting, they did a little horse-trading to settle on buying a bottle of wine and order a curry to be delivered to Mandy's.

It was a short walk to the car park to drive back to Mandy's house. Once parked outside her house, Eva followed Mandy inside, passing her to stand in the lounge to remove her coat. She turned to pass Mandy her coat and waited as Mandy hanging her coat up with her back to her.

Eva held her breath, waiting to be close to Uma as Mandy turned, allowing Eva a closer inspection of her shirt clad body. Mandy took her coat and hung it up. She invited Eva to open the bottle of wine, while she changed into something comfier.

Mandy dashed upstairs to join Eva in the kitchen in the same blouse but now in loose purple leggings and slippers. They chinked a little toast to the day and sampled the wine.

They were just walking into the lounge as the doorbell rang with the curry. Mandy set out all the tin foil trays in the kitchen so they could pick what they wanted onto plates and carry the trays out to sit on the sofa.

Mandy found a romantic film for them to watch.

'The Fault in Our Stars'

As they sat eating, sipping their wine. At first, they tried to hide their tears, but as the film progressed, neither could hide it. Towards the end, with plates and glasses empty, the two were sobbing and furiously pulling tissues out of the refilled box on the table.

Seeing the state of each other, they both laughed and waved tear sodden tissues at each other. Mandy offered to top up Eva's glass, or as she was driving, to have a coffee. Eva accepted the coffee, as Mandy cleared the dirty plates away and put the kettle on.

Eva felt a little despondent. Mandy was as near as a perfect partner she'd ever found, except she wasn't in the one aspect that would be perfection. She was brilliant company, whether sat watching a film, window shopping and supportive in everything. Life just doesn't seem to deal the cards you want. She'd have to settle for having the best, best friend.

Eva turned to her phone and the dating app, hoping to pick up some extra cards, one of which may be a queen of hearts. She should have expected that PonyPetraPet would leave a nasty public text. She checked the three-dotted icon in the corner to delete and block her.

When Mandy returned with two mugs of tea, Eva had read through the extra PMs she'd received.

"I had to block Penelopy... SueSunFlower has come back with a nice chatty text and a link to some poems she's written. I'll have a look at those later... I've a few other PMs that are sweet, the one is a short 'Hi' so I'll ignore that one for now, but I think the others are worth a reply. What do you think?"

Eva gave Mandy her phone to view the new PMs.

"Hmm, yeah ignore the 'Hi', her profile says she's chatty and always up for a flirt, but based on her PM, I don't think so... Mmm SueSunFlower is nice, she doesn't look too old, it depends on what you're looking for. Forty to forty-five, maybe, but she looks nice, as is her prose... Not so sure about this other one, maybe she's nervous... "

Mandy scrolled onwards.

1...45678...11