Eva's Valentine's Day Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've not made any advances towards you. This must be some kind of reverse Nightingale effect, where the patient falls for the doctor."

"No... You're a wonderful friend too, Eva, but it was that kiss... I don't know why I did it. I got caught up in the moment, to save you, but it felt right... You tasted wonderful... You can't deny it; I felt the passion in your lips in, and your heaving chest, you drew me in and squeezed me..."

"But you said you didn't want to make it a habit, so I had to assume that was it and you talked of having a man of your dreams."

"I lied. I was scared. Once I'd processed what had happened, I wanted nothing more than to make it a habit. I couldn't be honest with myself, let alone with you. When we're together I love pretending we're a couple, helped by you not minding me hold your hand... Then that evening, in the pub it felt like a date, wanting to wipe your lips free from chocolate with mine."

"When I visit you, it's like we're living together... When dusting or cooking, I love knowing you're upstairs, close. I enjoy listening to you typing on your laptop, or talking on your phone. I adore cooking for you, to bring you your first cup of tea in the mornings."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"We were so close, as we were. I was scared and didn't understand it myself, not wanting to risk what we had. It couldn't have been easy for you when you came out? To remain quiet was the easy way out... I've been hoping you'd make the first move. I've seen the way you look at me sometimes, undressing me with hunger in your eyes."

"I'm sorry, if I've ever made you feel uncomfortable, it wasn't my intention to. It was hard not to, you're no shrinking violet Mandy but I thought you were off limits."

"No, Eva, you never made me feel uncomfortable, I take it as a compliment, expecting you to make an advance on me at any time... I always feel relaxed with you. You're sexy, and elegant in everything you do."

Mandy blushed and looked away.

"But... You helped me set up the dating app... You were supportive throughout... I thought it was your way of keeping us friends and not lovers... By helping me find someone else for love."

"Yeah, I wanted you to be happy, to find you love and pay you back for your kindness towards me, whilst giving us something to do together, to keep your friendship... But that was before our kiss... I may be straight, but I know passion when it comes along, and it was in your kiss that day. I've never felt this close to any other woman and I think we both crossed the line of friendship weeks ago."

"Well, this is all news to me. But you've missed your window. This was a step too far Mandy, I don't know what you were thinking today... I've asked Natalie to be my valentine now... I think we need a break from our friendship... I don't want to hear from you for a few weeks. No cleaning, no texts, nothing and definitely no visits to train bridges."

Eva turned to leave, and Mandy rose to follow her.

"No, please Eva. Since I've met you, I've been able to sleep and my dreams are of you and tartan skirts. Text me when you forgive me... Please?"

Eva hesitated, made as if to turn, but decided against it and continued on her way.

As she opened the door, behind her Mandy sobbed.

"I'll wait for you at 'Love Food 49', Monday at nine."

Eva grunted and left, closing the door behind her. She headed for her car and left as quickly as she could, trying to keep her anger at bay and not speed or crash the car. Once home, she poured herself a stiff brandy, the only spirit she had stronger than wine. She flumped into the sofa, turned on the TV and tried to find something to take her mind off things.

The third click of the channel change button landed on a Doris Day film... She screamed her frustrations into a pillow and clicked on... Settling on an early 'Fast and Furious film, not to her taste, but something angry and loud... She checked her phone, wanting to see Mandy's call ID but dreading it as well. Mixed feelings struck her when she saw it wasn't there.

She scrolled to the dating app and ignored the two additional PMs and clicked on NuttyNatty.

[ I hope you're not angry drinking now? Hopefully, Mandy explained her misunderstanding. It's cool, and I am glad we finally met. It was lovely to chat. I didn't realise it would take a coffee, a pot of tea and a cake before we asked the obvious. I'm looking forward to Monday at Seven. See you there. Xx]

Eva read it several times; enjoying the friendly glow it gave her, or was it the Brandy?

Sunday, February 13th

Sunday dragged for Eva at home, who managed to walk, but didn't enjoy it on her own, missing Mandy's company. Eva was broiling over with mixed feelings, now she knew Mandy's feelings but she still felt anger towards her... Or was it frustration with herself? She couldn't let Natalie down now.

At work, they kept Mandy busy whilst her new friends Lucy and Bev tried to cheer her up, not knowing the source of the malaise she was in. That afternoon she walked around the cathedral and river, avoiding train tracks. That night, she curled up to fall asleep watching TV and spent the night on the sofa.

Monday, February 14th

Valentine's Day.

Monday was easier for them both being at work. Mandy finished at her usual time and went home to bake. Eva worked until five, then showered and got ready to go out. As Eva left for her date, Mandy was only just starting to get ready.

Eva drove into town and could park close to the 'Salerno,' Italian restaurant. She made sure she was ten minutes early to settle in and try to look cooler than she felt. A whole mixture of excitement, trepidation and confusion ran amok in her mind, each one taking their turn to grip her and churn her stomach in anxiety.

Eva struggled with her choice after Saturday. She didn't want to be too casual, but neither giving the impressing she was sure fired ready for bed. She wore a black lace on white blouse tucked into a high-waist, black dress, with sheer tights and black shoes with medium heels.

The maitre d' led to her table at the back of the restaurant, where she explained her guest will join her shortly and the waiter took her coat. She sat, fidgeting, trying to calm her nerves. She ordered a half bottle of champagne, hoping that a little Dutch courage will help.

She couldn't see the front door from her table's nook, but the restaurant was filling up and with each clatter of the door, she grew more nervous. A few times she resisted checking her phone. So far Mandy had stuck to her request... But she wanted to check... She ignored the temptation and struggled to put her phone back in her clutch bag without checking.

What has that woman done to me?

No matter how much Eva tried to push Mandy to the back of her mind, she would return with a vengeance to play on her guilt.

Should I have risked it all, to avoid this? Blast this twenty-twenty vision, it's all if, buts and maybe's.

The ice bucket arrived with the half bottle of champagne, just as the front door rattled again. As the waiter left, he opened up Eva's view of the front of the restaurant, as Natalie emerged, being guided to the table.

Eva smiled with relief and stood to greet Natalie, who removed her coat for the waiter to take it. Natalie had dressed for a night out, but not for a Valentine's Date night out, disappointing Eva. She was still very attractive with her long red hair, blue satin blouse, and black jeans. They politely hugged, but it felt more like old friends meeting rather than a date.

"Hi, how are you?"

"Good, thanks and you?"

"Yes, thanks, I hope you don't mind I got us some champagne?"

Eva pulled the bottle out of the bucket and raised it to a glass, waiting to pour Natalie a flute.

"Yes, why not?"

Eva poured her flute, then one for herself, as they both sat down.

"Eva, did you talk with Mandy after Saturday?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry about that. It was just a silly misunderstanding... A bit embarrassing, really."

"It didn't look that way from my angle. Nothing is that simple."

"No, I suppose it wasn't... I called into hers after leaving you. She was a mess. I felt so guilty, but I don't know why. I had texted her to explain we were meeting and, because I thought she was working, I didn't need her in support."

"But she'd gone and had her hair done?"

"Yeah. For me, so it seems... I didn't know. I told you about the kiss when we pretended Mandy was my ex?"

"Uh-huh."

"It was an amazing kiss. She was full of passion. After two years it was like a dam burst, but she remained unmoved, even saying she wouldn't make it a habit. It took a week or two to realise I was right to continue looking for a date on my own."

The waiter returned with menus, and Eva tried to change the subject by focusing on the selection.

"So you coped with being friends, as she wanted?"

"It wasn't easy... You saw how sexy she looked on Saturday... Even in her leggings and baggy T-shirts cleaning, she has a way of moving. I don't know if she means to, but girl, she can move. She has some private music playing in her head that gives her rhythm even when hoovering or dusting..."

"You'll have to give me her number."

"Haha... Not on your life. I'd be nutty to let her go."

Eva bit her lip, realising what she'd said in haste. Natalie hadn't missed it either.

"What other talents does she have?"

"Strange, to ask about another woman on a date?"

Eva took a long sip of her drink for additional Dutch courage but ended up thinking of Mandy and not Natalie.

"Guilty as charged... I wanted to be sure she was out of the running first."

Eva was about to confirm, but a lump came to her throat and she couldn't denounce Mandy. Natalie noticed the brief hesitance and her eyes avoiding contact.

"So what is it about Mandy that still grips you, despite her upsetting your plans on Saturday?"

"She's vulnerable but strong; she put up with her husband's abuse for years, losing her parents and her brother, and yet has returned to start afresh. A new job, new people and a new house, but no friends."

"But, she has you?"

"And I her... She's so easy to get on with. Oh, she can cook like no other... Cakes, soups, whatever you have in the cupboard... She makes wonderful cupcakes, not like the silly ones from shops. Like ones your granny made, with the top cut off, split in two and stuck on like fairy wings."

"Real fairy cakes?"

"Mmm-hmm, and the icing tastes delicious, not all sugary, just nice... Some of the fairy cakes will have `E's marked in the icing, for me... If I let her make me a coffee, she carves an 'E' in the froth on the top of my cup."

"Isn't that what best friends do?"

"Yeah, but she goes that little extra and does it with panache."

Eva refilled her glass and sipped some more... She could feel the drink taking advantage of her not having eaten...

"More than once I yearned to tell her, but I didn't want to risk losing her friendship... Once, she had a bad time and we hugged, like friends, on the sofa. She curled up on my lap. I just wanted to pick her up and carry her upstairs to bed and help her forget her troubles."

"All that from one hastily snatched kiss?"

"No, that's what I'm trying to tell you..."

"Do you love her?"

Natalie looked deep into Eva's eyes, making Eva feel that she already knew the answer.

"Yeah, I think I do..."

"So why are you here with me?"

Natalie's bluntness hit Eva like a sledgehammer. All her confused thoughts since Saturday whirled around in her head, but maybe Natalie had the solution.

"I don't know Natalie, I'm sorry... At first I was angry with Mandy, then after her explanation I was annoyed with her for not saying anything, then I was annoyed at myself for not speaking up... But I'd made a commitment to you."

"After Saturday I had a difficult choice to make. Do I continue to date you and risk being a rebound catch or worse, have you dump me for her later on, or do I walk away... Well, it took all yesterday to decide on the third option of playing cupid."

Natalie waved her phone to Eva, that she'd hidden on her knee, the screen showing she'd text someone, and then tucked it away inside her handbag.

"Eva, I saw your's and Mandy's eyes on Saturday, as you talked. I've seen the same thing many times when lovers argue..."

As Natalie spoke Eva heard the door of the restaurant rattle, as another guest entered and a few raised voices, warranting a brief glance from Eva to the entrance podium. Standing there looking around was Mandy, searching for Eva, biting her lip, unsure of the reception she could expect.

Natalie's hand settled on Eva's, patting it.

"Eva, I wish I had someone who cared enough about me to risk humiliation to win me. It's obvious she loves you..."

"How on earth did you contact her?"

"I talked to 'Love Food 49', asking if they could pass a message on to her, to contact me, her date, Natalie and left them my number, saying it was urgent... She rang me today, so I explained my position and plan... Don't be angry with her."

Mandy reached the table and stood there in her black wool coat, looking like a shy, lost girl, waiting to be asked to sit.

"Right you two, you have your own choices to make. You can either kiss and make up, and eat here... Or, kiss and make up, and go to eat at 'Love Food 49'. So I can order, read my book and eat in peace."

Natalie pulled a book out of her handbag.

"Mandy?" Eva asked, not sure which choice she would prefer, now blushing with guilt after Natalie had brought them both to their senses.

Mandy nodded, biting her lower lip again and tilted her head sideways, indicating for them to leave.

"Are you sure Natalie?"

"More than I was on Saturday. It seems I've made the right choice for you both, go... But leave the last of the champagne for me."

Eva looked at Mandy, who was coyly smiling at her.

The two women blushed. Eva, for having been caught out by Natalie, who saw the situation clearer, forcing her to face her pride and Mandy, because they now knew she loved Eva.

Eva spoke up, squeezing Natalie's hand across the table.

"Thanks, Natalie. I don't know how we can thank you."

Eva stood and asked a surprised passing waiter to bring her coat. Natalie rose and the three of them hugged. As Mandy broke free from the hug, she realised Eva had grasped her hand.

"That's okay, you two. I'm just glad this soap opera has turned out as I hoped... Just keep me in the loop and let me know if my playing cupid has worked. Let's all be friends, and then at least I'll know my Valentine choice wasn't wasted, saving us all from becoming ex's."

Eva and Mandy nodded in agreement. Eva's coat arrived and after bidding Natalie one last farewell, Eva and Mandy headed to the door. They passed the maitre d fussing around the till. Eva paused, grabbing two twenties from her purse giving them to her.

"To cover the bill for our friend at table five."

"Oh, are you leaving? Was everything to your satisfaction?"

Eva and Mandy looked at each other, Eva's hand still in Mandy's.

"Yes, thanks."

Eva and Mandy scurried out the door to stand just to one side, out of the light from the restaurant's windows.

"I'm sorry..."

"Yeah, I know... You're not forgiven though," Eva kissed Mandy briefly on the lips, "Just to let you know, this will be one habit you're going to have to get used to."

Mandy gave a nervous laugh.

"I think I'm getting to like it... I hope you didn't mind Natalie's ruse? When she rang me I thought she'd blown you off and was going to tear me off a strip... At first, she asked some questions and then asked me if she could get you to change your mind, would I..."

Mandy's voice trailed off, causing Eva to pull Mandy round to face her, holding both her hands.

"And?" Eva asked.

Mandy pulled her in close, so their noses almost touched, Eva could smell her faint rich perfume. Like so many times before, their eyes hovered, as if to kiss, but this time Mandy leaned forward to press her cool lips on Eva's.

"I will..."

Before her mouth could close, Eva opened hers and they kissed, rolling their heads to one side, so they could be closer and probe each other with their warm tongues. Mandy released Eva's hands and slid up her hips to her waist, pulling her in.

The two held their embrace, kissing in stages, swapping sides, pulling back to smile, peck a kiss, then emerge with tongues searching each other. Eva stroked her hands up the back of Mandy, to slide her fingers up the back of her neck to her hair.

When they finally broke, the two laughed, lifting the tension. Mandy grasped Eva's hand and swung their arms playfully.

"Is it always this exciting when you kiss another woman?"

"Only the really special ones."

Eva swept in to peck a kiss on Mandy's lips.

Mandy giggled with glee...

"You've always made me feel special Eva... Come on, we've lots of time, but it is cold out here."

The two friends made their way to their second restaurant for the night, arm in arm with Mandy holding onto Eva, leaning in. Now walking more as a couple than close friends, as they both tried to overcome their exchange on Saturday.

As they reached the restaurant, Eva pulled Mandy to a stop just short of a street lamp, pulling her in.

"Just to re-enforce the habit."

Eva pressed forward, with Mandy meeting her halfway, to kiss passionately again. Both wrapped their arms around each other's waist. When they broke the kiss, Mandy giggled with a little embarrassment.

"Why the giggle?"

"I still feel like a naughty girl, snogging the Netball captain behind the bike sheds."

"You didn't, did you?"

"No, not me... I kept away from her as she had a reputation for it, which was easy as I didn't play netball. It just feels so naughty."

"Naughty, bad?"

"No, naughty but bloody wonderful, with a gorgeous woman."

Satisfied with her answer, Eva led her by the hand into 'Love Food 49'. The maitre d' showed them to a nicely decorated table for two, with the obligatory candle in an oddly shaped wine bottle. When they removed their coats, Eva gasped as she saw Mandy's dress for the first time.

Mandy was wearing an electric blue dress, which matched the new highlights in her hair. The straps, whilst wide, left her shoulders and arms bare, giving the impression of her neck being thinner than it really was. Between the straps, it had a plunging neckline, showing her ample bosom.

The dress drew in tightly around her waist, helped by a wide black elastic belt, for the skirt to widen out to stress the shape of her hips. The skirt of the dress tucked back in but giving her more knee room than her pencil skirt.

Her black hosiery that had a nice, tight pattern covering her legs. Eva hoped they were stockings, staring at Mandy's hips, hoping to see bulges of garter belt clips. A waiter whisked their coats away as they sat opposite each other.

Some simple screens with plant motifs isolated them from other tables, affording the two women some privacy. Mandy reached across to caress Eva's hand with a light hold and stroked the back of her hand with her thumb.

Menus arrived at the table with an additional sheet of Valentine's Day specials offering set meals for two. Eva scanned the drinks page of the menu.

"Could we have a half bottle of champagne? You okay with Champagne Mandy?"

"Please, anything bubbly would be lovely. Thanks."

"Oh, okay, we'll make that sparkling water then?"

"Nooo, champagne would be lovely, thanks."

The waiter left them and the two eyed each other, still nervous about the new status of their relationship.

"I think we've made the right choice."

"Natalie came up trumps... I think your campaign manager needs a rise."

Mandy grinned.

"It would have been nicer if my close friend had confided in me."