Eve & Lucy Ch. 03: Off set

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Did you make them sit on any?" asks Keith.

"What!? No!" Lydia whacks him across the arm.

"Well," Keith deadpans as he takes a sip of his beer, "then you probably didn't make any of them uncomfortable."

There is a micropause before the groans explode from us as his terrible attempt at humour.

"Oh, yes, I understand Keith. Because they are quite uncomfortable if you accidentally sit on one."

Which of course sets us off again. Even Sarah's joining in, though she still looks like a sunburned tomato.

We play pictionary and rummikub, shithead and articulate, all of which Samantha wins. The only thing we manage to beat her at is jenga, which feels somehow unfair. When Sarah goes off to the toilet, we all lean in and ask Samantha what the backgammon forfeits are.

"Well, however many counters we win by is the number of minutes the loser has to perform cunnilingus for."

"Hey Lids, if you're stuck for ideas for what to get me for my birthday, maybe a backgammon set?"

Lydia just raises her eyebrows at Keith. He waggles his own in return. Those two!

* * *

It's a great weekend. We spend most of Sunday in the pool and Glenn very optimistically attempts a barbeque with Keith and Samantha as keen assistants. The only slight downer is talking to Sarah about her parents.

"So were you not going to go and, like, see your parents anyway?"

"Mmmm. Nah. I mean we're here to have fun together, right? I don't want to miss that."

"I mean, would they not come here?"

She grimaces.

"Nah, they don't like Samantha's parents. They're polite when they meet, but they're jealous basically; our house is nothing like this. My Mum's a cleaner at the school and my Dad manages a petrol station. They see themselves as a different class. So, no, it wouldn't be fun having them here. I won't take Samantha with me either tomorrow."

"Like, are they not ok with you being bi?"

"Hmmmm, probably not. I mean, they mostly ignore me to be honest. They don't get why I wanted to go to University, none of my older brothers went. I'm hoping Jenny will though. She's predicted good grades and I've put her in touch with the widening participation office. I think she's eligible for a bursary like me if she stays local. So, yeah, I doubt they are thrilled I'm bi, but to be honest it's just another way that they don't understand me. They never liked that I spent so much time here when I was a teenager. I'm more going over to see Jenny and Molly, though I think Mum and Steve will be there too."

Listening to Sarah forms a nervous knot in my own stomach. What will my parents think of me being bi? Unlike Sarah, they were thrilled I went to University, though my Dad would have much preferred I'd done Law. My Mum wants me to train to be a teacher like her, she's over the moon I'm considering Teach First. But being bi? I doubt that'll go down well. Mum's a Primary Teacher, and has always been quite traditional in her views. No idea what Dad's views are, but most of the music he listens to is rampantantly homophobic.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be coming out to them anytime soon. I mean, I'm fairly sure I still fancy guys, so if I end up with one, do they ever need to know? And if I fall in love with a woman and want to make it permanent? Well, that's a bridge I'll cross if I ever need to.

* * *

Sarah's worked at the Lounge on Cotham Hill since her first year. I borrow a black T shirt from her and Keith drops me straight there, before taking Lydia and Louise home. I've done a few shifts here, but not for a while.

"Hey," I say to the girl behind the counter, "is Mike around?"

"Amanda!" She spins around. It's Carrie. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, hey Carrie! Like, Sarah swapped shifts with me?"

"Since when do you work here?"

"Like, since when did you?"

"Holidays."

"Snap!" Sarah, you sneaky bitch!

The shift turns out to be fun. Mike's working too, and there's the kitchen staff, but otherwise it's just us out front. She has an odd relationship with him: I would never have clocked them for father and daughter if I hadn't known, but I do see a slight resemblance, and not just in the hair colour.

Mind you, he may be the boss, but Carrie is totally in charge. I actually play up needing reminders and allow her to show me things I was fairly positive I knew anyway. She seems to like that. She places her hand on my back as she shows me how to work the till. I'm not sure she realises she's doing it. It makes me glow a little and then feel a touch guilty. After all, I'm seeing Lucy now. It's easy working with her, and time flies by.

In a lull, we get a chance to discuss the videos I want to make for Lucy.

"Wow, that sounds amazing Amanda."

"So, you'd be, like, up for it?"

"Um, yeah, sure. It's just what I've always wanted." She sighs theatrically. "Oh shit, that's probably bad taste making jokes like that."

"Yeah, so terrible Carrie, you're, like, such a bad person." I deadpan. "So, like, who do you want to rape you? There's Dave, blond third year Drama student, or Baz, whom you know, or Chen, if you'd, like, prefer an asian rapist."

"You're fucking awful Amanda," she giggles.

I manage to text the group, and by some miracle Baz and Dave are free tomorrow afternoon. No reply from Suzy. "You free to film tomorrow afternoon, Carrie? My place?"

"Maybe. What time?"

"3pm? Or, like, come for lunch at 1pm."

"Lunch would be nice, but I'm working here. I'm sure I can get off by 3 though."

"No worries." I look at her wistfully. "You sure you can't, like, come down to karaoke tonight Carrie? Give us a reprise of "Ever After"? Pretty please?"

"I wish, but no."

After I tease her about it for the third time, I decide to drop it as her refusals get more tense and I notice her scratching at herself.

I've swapped a few messages with Lucy over the weekend, and one arrives around 3.

Hey Gorgeous

How are your holidays? Still up for something tomorrow night? I was thinking of booking a table for 7:30 if that suits?

Lucy x

I message back.

Sure, sounds great. Don't want to be presumptuous, but should I bring an overnight bag? X

Two minutes later.

Definitely. Looking forward to it beautiful x

Cool. By the way, I'm off to karaoke at the Queen's Shilling tonight with my flatmates. I know you said you'd be back late, but you're welcome to come. Absolutely no pressure. X

Thanks for thinking of me babe. I'll see xxx

It's nearly the end of the shift, just after 5, when a familiar face appears.

"Hey Kate!"

"Uh.... Oh my God, Amanda! Hi! Amanda, this is my girlfriend Priya - Amanda's friends with Sarah and Samantha."

"We're, like, flatmates actually... Hey, you look familiar?" Priya's face rings a bell, but I can't think where I've seen her.

"I'm in here regularly - I work just across the road, so maybe that's it."

"So, did you have a good time the other night?" Kate asks.

"Yeah!" I blush. "In fact, I'm heading down there again tonight - gonna actually do some karaoke this time!"

"Oh fun! Oh, we haven't done that in ages!" Priya turns to her taller girlfriend.

"Do you want to go?" I notice Kate raising her pierced eyebrow at the Asian girl, who flutters her eyelids back. "Ok babe. If you're willing to put up with me singing Van Halen again."

"Awesome!"

"Cool, guess, I'll, like, see you there. Gonna call Mel?"

"No, she and Nadine are away."

"Shame. Anyway, what can I get you?"

"Um, a latte and..."

"..make that two. Hey Mike!"

"Hey Kate. Hey Priya. How are you both?"

I leave them chatting as I go and make up their order.

Monday - Carrie

I watch Amanda wave goodbye as she leaves. God that was fun working with her. She really has a way to brighten up the dullest of days. Weird coincidence her showing up to work here, and her knowing Kate, but it definitely cleared the air between us.

Maybe I should go tonight? I know I'm seeing her tomorrow to do the filming, but would it hurt to skip out on my Grandparents?

The phone rings.

"Hello, the Cotham Lounge."

"Hello. Is Carrie Huntley there please?"

"Hi Karen, this is Carrie. Everything ok?"

"Oh it's you Carrie. Goodness, that didn't sound like you. Everything's fine love, I just wanted to say not to come over tonight. We're down the pub for our neighbour Jim's birthday."

"All right Karen. Well, shall I come over..."

"We'll try and set something up with Mike. Perhaps on this Friday? He's got Bronwyn over from Cardiff, perhaps he told you? Could you come for lunch?"

"I'll check to see if I'm on shift or not. Mike will let you know for us both I guess."

"Ok pet. Go out and have some fun. We'll see you soon. Bye."

Mike wanders over. "Problem?"

"Your mum telling me not to come over 'cos she's off to the pub. She wants us both over for lunch on Friday though."

"Yeah, should be fine. I'm not working on Friday as Bronwyn's over. I was going to put you down for Thursday and Saturday though, if that's ok?"

"Fine by me. Mum's up in Gloucester again."

"That going well then?"

"I think so. She hasn't really said much, but that's three out of the past four weekends."

"Say hi to Bex for me when you next see her. I always liked her."

God, yeah, weird to think he knew her too.

"So," he says, "now you've got an evening off, you going to go out to karaoke?"

"Yeah, you know what I think I... Wait! Did you put Karen up to this?"

"What do you mean?"

I narrow my eyes at him. He's saved by a customer. Hmmmm, I wonder: did he call his mum from the office and get her to cancel on me?

Oh well, whatever. Time to take advantage.

I jump on the train home, grab some food with Mum and Gran, who are both surprised to see me but thrilled that I'm heading out. Gran offers to drive me down, so I can have a drink, but I decline. She should know better.

I take some time getting dressed after the shower. No point getting there too early. I chose some flattering jeans, high boots, paired with a tight button up white shirt. I go braless, but wear a green, sequinned waistcoat I found in a charity shop over the top, so nobody will notice. It matches my eyes. I add a little bit of eyeliner, which normally I wouldn't bother with, but then I don't usually go out. My hair's too long. I try it in a ponytail, then with an Alice band, nothing looks right. I need to get it cut: maybe I should go short for the play? Give Lucifer a more androgynous look? In the end I shove it up in a bun.

Finally, I throw on the leather jacket which Mike got me for Christmas. I look sharp.

Driving the GT, I kind of wish I had somebody to pick up. Maybe I should have called Amanda to tell her I was coming. I could have picked up her and her flatmates, though they probably wouldn't have all fitted. Or I could have offered a lift to Kate and her girlfriend. I keep an eye out for them as I cruise down Whiteladies, wondering if I could pull in to offer them a lift, but I don't see them.

I stick the car in the multistorey, then head to the venue.

I know where the Queen's Shilling is and what it is, but I've never actually been there. Not a drinker, so clubbing has never appealed. Given its prominence in the Bristol Gay scene, I'm surprised by how small it is. I spot Kate and Priya immediately: well, it's not hard - they are on stage, Kate belting out Van Halen.

It's got what it takes, so tell me why can't this be love?

She's going full stadium rock on it, while Priya smiles indulgently and adds some awesome harmonies. That woman can sing.

I recognise Amanda from behind, her curly hair puffing out with huge volume. She's easy to spot, being the only non-white person in here, bar a fabulously dressed older drag queen, all blinged up in fake diamante sapphires.

When the song finishes, I move forward. Amanda is on her feet clapping and cheering and I wait for her to finish hugging Kate and Priya, before I tap her on the shoulder.

"Oh my God, Carrie!" She crushes me into a hug, her chin resting on my shoulder. "Like, so glad you came!"

I congratulate Kate and Priya, and then Amanda introduces me to the others - Keith, Louise and Lydia - whom I gather are her flatmates and a boyfriend. He's looking a little nervous, I have to say. Straight guy in a gay bar!

There's a QR code to scan to search the song list, and Amanda is quickly nagging me to choose something. There's not many people in at the moment, but pretty much everyone there is here to sing, so there will be a wait time.

A couple do an awesome, high energy version of "You're the one that I want". They've clearly rehearsed it, and both guys have dressed appropriately in white Ts and leathers. We all yell and cheer ecstatically.

Then Amanda and her flatmates get up to do One Direction's "Beautiful". Keith looks a little lost, but joins in gamely on the chorus, but the girls have clearly done this before, trading the lead and striding around each other. Amanda's got the best pipes and I squirm uncomfortably when she throws her hand out towards us as she sings:

If only you could see what I can see

You'd understand why I want you so desperately

She's got her eyes closed, but she knows where we're sitting. Or am I overthinking this? I mean, it's just a song, clearly an ironic (or not?) throwback to their teenage years?

I still haven't chosen a song by the time they are done and the black drag queen gets up to do a frankly stunning version of Angie Stone's "I wish I didn't miss you anymore". It's an absolute tearjerker.

"Come on, have you, like, picked something?" Amanda hisses at me.

"Not yet!"

"Hurry up Carrie. Like, why not do "Ever After"?"

"It's not that kind of crowd!"

"Are you kidding? We just had, like, a Grease number, you know?"

"If I pick something, will you duet with me?

"Of course."

We pause for applause and then I resume scrolling, as another couple get up to take their turn. They do "Hypnotise", which is groovy as hell. We're all shimmying in our seats, when I spot a song.

I point it out to Amanda. "Here, come on, we've got to do this one together! Eve and Lucifer? It's an obvious choice."

I hit submit before she can object. There's 4 more in the queue before us.

"I mean, I don't really know that one Carrie." But I notice she's already Googling the lyrics.

"I'll sing first. The second voice is just the same, but pitched up."

"Ok. Yeah, like, cool."

I notice her glass is empty. "Do you want a drink?"

"Just, like, a coke thanks."

"You sure? You can drink if you want Amanda, don't let me stop you."

"Yeah, I know." She looks up from her screen and smiles at me. Then she pats my leg. "I'm just not sure it's, like, the best idea if we're, like, trying to be friends."

I head to the bar and grab us both a soft drink. I probably should have offered to get something for the rest of them. Oh well.

"Hey Carrie!"

"Hey Kate! Can I get you something?"

"Nah, let me get them - you're the student!"

"Nope, honestly, it's cool. You and Priya were great!"

"Thanks! We're up again in a mo." She turns to the bartender. "Two corona please! You sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine. How do you know Amanda then?"

"Oh, I don't really. I know Sarah and Samantha, and Sarah introduced us down here last week. But she seems lovely."

"Yeah, she really is."

Kate's face falls. "Are you hoping to make a move on her...?"

"No, no, we're just friends that's all."

"Oh right. Just as well. Shame, 'cos you're probably totally her type."

I blink at her. How could she possibly know that, having only just met her last week?

"Oh shit, that's us! I thought I had more time!"

Kate's dashing for the stage, where Priya is beckoning for her, as a chugging guitar comes in. Tegan and Sara, what a classic!

I don't quite get these two: Priya is quite clearly the better singer, yet Kate takes the lead. Maybe those harmony parts are harder than they sound and Kate can't manage them?

Call me up, and let me know that,

My sick guilt is so unwelcome, so unwelcome, it's so unwelcome yeah

It's fucking rocking and a few of us get up to boogie, with Kate and Priya dancing around on stage to encourage us. I don't know either well, just as regulars at the Lounge, though Mike said Kate used to work there, and this is a whole other side to them.

They get a massive round of applause as they come off. Glad I don't have to follow them! Instead, Louise goes up to give us a round of Pink's "Raise your glass!" A suitably rocking sequel, though she doesn't quite have the lungs for it.

Suddenly, I'm regretting my choice of song. I mean, it's a great tune, but the last few have been so rocky and, frankly, histrionic, that I'm not sure a down-tempo EDM number is going to fit the vibe. I only really picked it for the title.

Crap, it's our turn now. I feel I need to explain.

"Um, so Amanda and I are in a play at the moment; I'm playing the devil and she's playing Eve, as in Adam and Eve, so I figured a bit of "Original Sin" was appropriate."

The beat kicks in and my palms feel sweaty on the mic in the greatest stage fright cliché of all time. In the theatre we had radio mics - I never had to worry about maybe dropping the damn thing!

Something's not right with me too

It's not right with me

But the state that you're in is innocent

I just can't believe in

What the fuck's original sin anyway

Once I start I feel the groove. It's a duet, so I ignore the crowd and face Amanda. She's nodding her head to the beat, feeling her way in.

She comes in and her voice is so sweet, full of kindness. This is so the wrong song to be singing for the vibe, even her friends seem to be disinterested, but I don't care. I focus on her as she sings to me.

A hurting hand is just connected to a hurting soul

It's not your fault if you're a hurting heart

God she's gorgeous.

I take the lead back again, and Amanda's got the groove now, swinging her hips and raising her arms above her head as she dances seductively, my eyes never leaving her.

And then we're done. There's a polite round of applause, which is frankly even more embarrassing.

"Sorry, that was totally the wrong song." I whisper to her.

"No, like, it was cool. I liked it. Besides.... It, like, showed me something about you, you know?"

We retake our seats to watch one of her other flatmates (Lydia?) and her boyfriend (Keith?) try their hand at "Light it up". I look over at Amanda, wondering what she makes of their mangled efforts at Caribbean accents and dancehall moves, but she clearly thinks it's hilarious and is wetting herself.

Eventually, Amanda persuades me to do "Ever After", and I give it some oomph and get some whistles when I finish. I make some mock bows and flap my hands ironically in a "oh you!" manner afterwards.

"That was brilliant Carrie!" Amanda squeals as I come off, embracing me. The heat of her happiness washes against me, and I feel myself flush. Time to call it a night I think.

"I'm going to head off, thanks for inviting me."

"Thanks for coming!" She hugs me again.

I turn to wave by to her friends, but they surprise me by not letting me slope off without hugs from them too. I get kisses from Priya and Kate, and then head out, nearly colliding with a tall red-head as I leave.

"Sorry," I start to say, but she's already ducked inside.

* * *

As arranged, I show up at Amanda's flat at 3pm the next day. I managed to get Mike to let me knock off a couple of hours early. Sarah, her flatmate (that's how I knew her!) was back, so Amanda wasn't working today. I suspect she's been setting up for the shoot.

Sure, enough, she and Baz have clearly raided the STA store and rigged up some lights in her bedroom. I wonder if they got permission for that?