All Comments on 'Everything for the Career Ch. 07'

by HeavyHeartLaments

Sort by:
  • 103 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Maybe just a tiny bit over the top???

"Save me, oh save me!" "Only you can save me!" "Save the divorcée with the two small children!" "NO ONE at a major world bank can save us but you!"

All that was missing from the hospital was a crippled Tiny Tim with broken crutches, "God bless us every one!".

I have to admit I do like the story though and, dang it anyway, can't wait to see how you resolve it. In any semblance of the real world a compromise would be reached but it's your story so have at it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Oooops...meant to post previous comment to ch 6

too stupid to live...D'OH

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
good but over the top

I liked the story and appreciated the author's passion but the drama was a bit too much of a good thing. The heroine receiving a good kick up the backside a few chapters sooner would have improved the story.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Brilliant story well balanced and told

Some writers have talent and some learn with each story they write then there are the naturally born writers such as yourself great job hoping for another tale from your pen!!

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Well, this ties it all together with a big bow.....

I really believe that the series would have played out better if you had simply ended at chaper six. This just was over the top. Jennifer gave too much and too little and was only able to show that she got it when she saw herself in Sarah?

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAover 13 years ago
I hope that you continue to write.

I hope that you continue to write. The story was long time in coming but I still enjoyed it.

Martyr2002Martyr2002over 13 years ago
Cool story

However there is too much crying. Please keep writing though

Tyr

jasonnhjasonnhover 13 years ago
Powerful story

I enjoyed this series overall. The writing was good and the conversations worked pretty well. This last chapter made the resolution reached in chapter 6 seem like a false conclusion and by Jen's reaction it WAS false. Previously, Jen walked away from the bank but the bank was still there. She chose Arthur BUT set aside the bank. NOW the bank will be destroyed if she does not act and it seems like her decision is up for grabs again. I don't blame Arthur for being upset. It seems like Jen does NOT understand what it means to make a absolute commitment to her husband. <br><br>

This starts the first situation I have a personal plot problem with. When Jen is thrown back into crisis it seems like she goes to everyone EXCEPT her husband for advice. She runs to her parents. Then she TALKS with Arthur who is understandably cold to her. He very wisely tells her it must be HER decision. Then she runs to Bernie. FINALLY she gets back to Arthur, who she should have gone to in the first place. This is the first lesson in marriage. When you have problems go first to your spouse. NOT to parents! NOT to friends! TO YOUR SPOUSE FIRST! Then you can expand to others if you need to. All Jen's problems flow from the fact that she doesn't understand that it is SPOUSE FIRST. That doesn't mean their can't be other important things in your life as well. And that leads to the second personal plot problem. <br><br>

The outcome of the story seems to be that Jen has to be the good wifey on the arm of the successful businessman. YUK. I think this is as distasteful a model as the one she was in. Why can't both have good careers? The thing to remember is your spouse comes first. That doesn't mean the career can't have moments of extreme importance. You tell your spouse that for the next few weeks I'm going to be wrapped up in a big project so I may be working some long hours. OK? When done you make sure to have some special personal time together. Maybe during the busy time you make sure to have a couple nights out. You work it out WITH YOUR SPOUSE. That doesn't mean either has to give up their careers completely which seems to have happened with Jen. <br><br>

As I said, these are personal preferences and the story certainly stands well as written. Congratulations on a job well completed.

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Well

there are 2 sides to that . Arthur was a passive aggressive wimp for long years , that was rummaging around the kitchen one day and found the jar with his ball in it . Puts them on and NOW everything bothers him ? Was this guy a mute with low T for 11 years ? apparently so ! It is BOTH THEIR FAULT ! Hers for doing it and his for letting it get so far out of whack . This guy should suck it up and let the wife do the correct thing for the sake of other people , 4 days , he is with her , then they have the rest of their lives to go on with , 4 days then it was over FOREVER .He is not a man . I just skimmed through the story but remember the other chapters .

RehnquistRehnquistover 13 years ago
Excellent, but . . .

You could have seriously pruned this story.

First, and most importantly, you created and maintained real, believable conflict. That's the hardest, yet most important, facet of a story. Conflict. It's what keeps people reading. And the conflict you created--not having slut wife banging her way to the top or being a raging nympho or the like--was highly original. She was a cheater, but she cheated on him with her job rather than with another person. Both can just as quickly destroy a marriage.

Second, you have a knack for words and sentence structure. This helps the flow of the story and is also difficult.

My two gripes, though, one of which I alluded to above, are that this could've been edited far more and that you should've used more dialogue.

The editing. I'm sorry, but it got to the point--particularly in the first five chapters--where I wanted to throw up if I had to hear for the umteenth time about how guilty she felt about being such a self-centered bitch for so long. We got it the first time around; definitely by the second. Better to subsequently use dialoge to demonstrate the continuing guilt. Don't beat us over the head with long-winded prose about her all-consuming guilt.

Which brings us to the dialogue. I know this was told in two separate first person points of view, but it would have been smoother, and more interesting, to not give us painstaking detail of their respective thoughts. Better to have allowed dialogue to ratchet up the tension. The nice part about dialogue is that it can also, in itself, create the tension. What did she mean by that? What's he really saying? Thinking?

These are just suggestions, though. I do agree with the above comments praising your story. I've waited until the conclusion to comment, and I did see that--as always happens--your writing and editing improved dramatically between the first submission and the last. Continue improving at this rate and you'll give Slirpuff and DanielQSteele a run for their money!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Look up selfish, self centered, passive aggressive piece of shit in the dictionary....

you'll find a picture of Arthur. He admitted himself he could have stopped it years ago but did nothing. So when she has a chance to save thousands of jobs (and keep the one chick from whoring herself out) Arthur can't spare his wife for 4 days. What a spineless, selfish jerk.

I'm supposed to feel good that it all ended well? Not really.

The girl has more fathers than carter has liver pills. We found one was a "friend" of her father. We never did find out the relationship with the other. Why would she need to devote her entire life to "the bank" when the CEO considered her his daughter??? Why would she be so intimidated/overwhelmed at meeting board members when she had an intimate relationship with the boss????

As someone else noted, the hospital scene at the end of CH 6 was only missing Tiny Tim to make it a real circus.

I get the story...she sold her soul for her job and missed out on life. There were just a few inconsistencies along the way.

Finally, the way you ended it with the year stuff was hokey and made it very difficult to follow.

I do enjoy your ideas though.

MinigalesMinigalesover 13 years ago
Agree Completely with Rehnquist

I might also add that at the end, Arthur should have rewarded her by showing some humanity and go with her to the stupid negotiations in China, where he can eat real Chinese food.

I also agree with Anonymous about her being considered God by the bank members. That was too much. A real international bank must have somebody at least at 95% of her negotiational skills and talents.

By the way, I recall the bank name started as American Company Bank and turned soon to FCB. I admit that I skipped quite a bit as I read the entire story in one session, so I apologize if I missed where the name intentionally changed.

Thanks a lot, and keep writing.

m48gunnerm48gunnerover 13 years ago
Thanks

Not a bad ending. For the most part I enjoyed the story!

grogers7grogers7over 13 years ago
Good concept

This last was just prolonged melodrama. The first 6 chapters were much better.

demantoiddemantoidover 13 years ago
What an exciting start...

And what a flaccid finish. I remember how thrilled I felt relishing the first couple chapters. They were extraordinarily well written, with a believable and original plot. God I loved the tension between the husband and wife. Then that high utterly fizzled into a morass of silly soap opera that was actually painful to read and follow. At the end, I could care less about any of the tiresome characters or the silly bank. The only positive...there is not another chapter. WHEW!

xtremeddxtremeddover 13 years ago
Great Tale HHL.

HHL,

Tough reader crowd out there..... End was tough for you I'm sure. After such a tumultuous story it was almost sorry to end. But you completely wrapped it up. Time line final chapter was refreshingly different.

Really look forward to your next story. You emotionally "Rip It Up" with the conflicts and constant decisions of life.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I liked it. Obviously it was a tough decision for her but she chose her husband and their marriage grew even stronger.

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
4 stars

your a good writer and hope you continue but the intervals between stories tend to make the read ineffective for those attempting to follow it , perhaps more 2 pager stories would better suit your lifestyle at this moment .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Just a lot of prattle about nothing done in very inept way.

With the attitude of " you lowlife scum understand nothing for we rich and powerful are in control of everything "

Quite bad and sometime incomprehensible of where is this story going. 1 star.

DWornockDWornockover 12 years ago
The story is impossible and therefore is 1*.

First she could not save the bank. It would take lots of money to save the bank and she doesn't have it. All the talk in the world will not change that. Then ones with the money would make the decision after looking assets and profit of the bank and talk cannot change that.

Second, all she needed to say is "Only if Author asked her to go then she would go." That is everyone should be asking Author. If Author wants to let 1000 people lose their jobs over four days, let him make the decision and be the bad guy. According to the story, Author is a successful business man but if he said "No" his business would have such a horrible reputation that it would fail since no one does business with someone that let a 1000 people lose their job over 4 days.

Third, if Author is the type of person that can say "No" to the pleas of hundreds of people, their wives, and children, begging him to let her go for 4 days than he is not a person she could love unless she is insane.

Finally, if she didn't need him enough for 15 years to spend time with him and have regular sex than that would not change to the extent that all of a sudden Author is the only thing. Especially, if Author is the type of ass that never even gave her a warning before deciding he doesn't care and he is going to divorce he.

The entire story is impossible in so many ways that it was a waste of time to read. And, even if it were possible, it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth and that alone is enough to rate it 1*.

dangerouslydeaddangerouslydeadover 12 years ago
The Dork was here so... 5*s

Just couldn't resist!! lol

roscovichroscovichover 12 years ago
Typical pompous, mindless and gutless Pomy wimp writings.

The very fact that there is NOTHING in his bio indicate that he is a Brit. They always have something to hide. Damn,what a lowlife!

And the Pomy style of writing makes me puke.Thank God I skipped most of it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Agree with Dangerouslydead.

The Dork was here, so regardless of the quality of the story, (which was pretty good anyway) 5 stars.

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
This is what life is all about choices

The only bad thing is Arthur should have done it earlier and they could have had kids. Nice story and it was great. This was a loving wife story. The husband was a man till the end. None of the cuckold pussy shit. Thank you waiting on another.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Became just a fairy tale in the end

Suffered from unbelievable female remorse, and the ending was completely unrealistic

RePhilRePhilalmost 12 years ago
Where can I buy the paperback?

Book worthy story. Thanks for writing

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
A Happy Ending

Who would believe it could happen. Well written series. I can understand why it took so long to finish. Don't stop writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
So glad life worked out well for them.

The utter selfishness and disregard for anyone other than themselves is what motivates me to hope Jennifer and Arthur are miserable. Too bad that thousands lost their jobs. Sorry to hear that families are living on the street, a shame some committed suicide....but hey, life worked out great for Arthur and Jennifer.

JackWoodyJackWoodyover 11 years ago
Very long but good

I did the "speed" type reading to get through it. Very well written. The author took the time to write down the thoughts that goes through ones head during normal thinking as well as tough decisions. Like there's 3 million thoughts running through your head per minute.

To the last anon of 8/09, Pretty lame thinking. Were you the one holding the protest sign that says "You owe me a job. It's my right"? Did you not read where their was no guarantee that the negotiations would be successful? Did you not read where Jennifer was instrumental ininfluencing the start up of another successful bank? I wonder how many jobs that provided helping people from being homeless?

How many jobs have you provided for others?

RhomanovRhomanovover 11 years ago
Closet Submissive

How else does this work?

Thx

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

this story was not realistic...but sometimes in life u need unrealistic stories that make u cry and touch ur heart....most sensitive story on this site...dont get bogged down by critics. it was the most heart warming story around here...well done!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

I think my boy jackwoody put the annon guy in his place. Its good shit, your story. Made me cry, men like me dont do that but i did.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Enjoyed it

Overall a good story. I am not a fan of how it ended. Once she chose Arthur, he should have had the decency to then tell her that they would go to Asia together. It would have been just four days. He knew it was important to her, and at that point he knew she was fully committed to him and the marriage. In my book that made his character very unlikable.

Additionally, I don't think enough attention was given to the fact that he had sex with the prostitutes. She really didn't seem to care much about it or wrestle with it. That was surprising and inauthentic.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 10 years ago
I really liked this story

At least the plot and the conflicts.

In places I felt it was a bit long winded (as already pointed out by Rheinquist). I notice the author's biography does not have a location specified and I'm wondering if English is not the author's native language.

Very good story, would like to read more by HeavyHeartLaments

green117green117over 10 years ago
A comment to the comments...

A lot of the folks here hit the "it was only 4 days" thing on the negotiations...

But in the frame of the story, that would be like having "just one goodbye fuck" with the boyfriend, 'cause he's so sad... unacceptable emotionally.

What is primary to the leads' life? Work or family?

Just sayin'.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Absolutely no one here

to care a tinker's damn about. I can understand why she cheated on him and contemplated doing so again -- he was absolutely unworthy of respect. In fact the one that disrespected him the most was himself. What can one say about her, absolutely no redeeming qualities. Her thinking is so convoluted and delusional I'd have her committed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
An excellent story

I am an old man and didn't start reading this site until a couple of years ago. I found it easy to tire of the repetitive sex and almost stopped reading. This is a very good story. You dealt with human emotion in a way that gave it great impact. Now I'll have to find a few more as good as this.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Mindless and talentless garbage !

God , this writer should have been a politician. Probably is.

1 star nevertheless !

connoisseur29connoisseur29about 10 years ago
****

The stars are for the writing -- not the story. Life is too short to put up with the shit Jennifer laid on Arthur for 15 years. BTB and end it. (Would have been a lot shorter story, huh?) Cheers!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
My 2 Cents

Enjoyable story. What would have happened if she went to China with Arthur's blessings and the Chinese would agree to her terms only if she agreed to run the bank?

bruce22bruce22about 10 years ago
Talented Writer

I loved the development in the first five chapters. The resolution left a bit unhappy.

I refer to the two comments of Dr. Beamer as expressing the shortcomings in the overall story line. Still it is a memorable work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
What I cannot get over...

...is that you took 4 years to write this story. It really isn't that long, in your first part you said it was already fleshed out or something like that.

How rude to the readers for you to do that. 4 years. And, in the end it really wasn't that good.

You write about weeping, crying and brokenness. I think it is you who needs broken. Your heart is lifted up and in pride do you string people along. Shame on you.

No roses, but a brick from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
All I can say is...

There's a whole lot of crying going on. (With his hand on her shoulder)

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
and the circle of life goes on

swirling around the corporate drain

HHL, do you know any successful people who are happy?

AwakeningofSensesAwakeningofSensesalmost 10 years ago
A change of title

Instead of everything for the career, it should be called waterworld. I had to replace the screen because of waterlogged and waterproof the second one so I could finish reading saga.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Young executive

32 years old and has 18 years with the company??? She sweeping the floors at 14?

connoisseur29connoisseur29almost 10 years ago
***

The fault for the marriage almost failing was not with Jennifer, but Arthur, the Wilbur Milque Toast. Now they call them wimps. Does love supersede common sense? The idiot should have started putting his foot down years before the catastrophic events began to take presidents in his marriage. Cheers!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Anony-mouse 6/7/14...

...really, if you are going to comment on a story, make certain you know about what you're talking about. It was covered in an earlier chapter, chapter III perhaps.

HeavyHeart, bravo. Bravo for a story well done.

kdcee79kdcee79over 9 years ago
So much promise, but .....

You started this journey & showed so much promise early in trying to develop a very good plot. Due to extremely lengthy delays between some chapters you seemed to lose your main path & things got weird in many places. Some of the latter chapters could have been far shorter but you fell into a fairly common trap for amateur writers in thinking that more is better when often the opposite will provide a more rounded & concise tale. Too much crying & repetitive dialogue throughout the story.

I see that you've started writing again & I hope you have taken notice of the many positive comments on how to improve any future writing. I 'm most probably wrong here but over the last 3 chapters I got the impression that English may not be your first language, if it is, I apologise; if it isn't, then that might explain some of the unusual sentence & paragraph construction. I did enjoy much of this tale. 3 ***

RhomanovRhomanovabout 9 years ago
****

Overall I gave it 4 for the content. As I read these chapters, I felt like I was reading a script for an infomercial. Great story line but not something I would watch ... er, read again.

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceabout 9 years ago
Got such an odd feeling reading this...

You gave every indication in this that we're dealing with Americans in the US... but I think you've not had enough interactions WITH Americans then at that rate.

It was interesting to read about an "American" who I just KNEW wasn't American. It's similar to listening your whole life to people who grew up in your area and never actually KNOWING that you and they had an accent. It took someone else pretending to BE American for me to recognize traits which aren't.

Like mistaking salt for sugar in a recipe or pouring curdled milk in a bowl of cereal, one mistake can negatively impact the palatability of a whole dish, or in this case, the story.

seekerazseekerazabout 9 years ago
What a crock.... thousands of lives?

The writing was very good though the phony wringing of hands throughout this whole chapter made me tired. It's an unbelievable straw man- a canard- and it speaks volumes that she had any debate at all.

The relationship is DOA even if the author tries to convince us otherwise. Specious

aptonthe503aptonthe503about 9 years ago
Redundancy

Banks are nothing if not redundant. There are no irreplaceable employees.

Otherwise the story was a nice romance and reconciliation. Some parts were a bit deep with verbosity but I give the story good marks.

Thanks and please keep writing.

palewriterpalewriteralmost 9 years ago
No lessons learned

no wisdom passed on to those that follow. selfish to the end.

my only real observation is that the entire series could have stood editing. the story could have been told, and told more effectively, in 4 chapters.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
Um

It read quickly, though several bits of dialogue, word use and sentence structure showed English is not your birth tongue. At least not in America or England. So kudos for that.

Let me get this out. I swear to Christ, if you had just cut every fucking description of crying out of this, you could have trimmed two fucking chapters! My GOD! I could not read three paragraphs it seemed without SOMEONE bawling their eyes out! If I took a drink every time I read about tears, weeping, crying, wet eyes, etc, you would be guilty of murder!

Okay. I REALLY liked the use of the Switzerland trip to highlight the growth of their relationship. Nicely done in few words without a fucking tear in sight (Okay...I'll stop now)

I liked some of it very much. Everyone seemed have decent advice except...the decent advice was always in a single direction. Everyone, including Edwards, all were very 'pro family'. Dad did not want his daughter to succeed? Edwards, who just invested a huge amount of political capitol, didn't ask even once about her maybe cutting her hours a bit?

The theme of the infidelity was first rate. However, you painted with too black and white a brush. "Wimmin folk, get your ass in the kitchen and devote your lives and asshole to your husbands' was a reasonable moral to take from this story. And...I have daughters. Should men feel the same guilt at doing 80 hour work weeks?

Which leads to a small problem. I know girls like this woman. They ARE all about the jobs. They weep over the loss of a husband but they will put it down the patriarchy, and the unfair choices women need to make and (dare I say) 'male ego' and make sure some of that VP lucre goes to some solace shopping for shoes. Shoes don't let you down like men do. They had already sacrificed SO MUCH...losing a husband was just another price for them.

But...okay, THIS woman somehow suddenly valued her husband most of all totally out of the blue since it hadn't bothered her ONE BIT for the last 15 years.. It seemed...anomalous. It was a hard transition to swallow (and frankly, career bitch Barbie would not have cried about not telling her husband first about the VP thing.)

But this was a tale well told...and told...and told. If you had cut out the crying...and the crying...and yes, more crying...and the repetition of sadness, grief, guilt and constantly mentioning being torn apart...it would have been a BETTER read. It was still a GOOD read. I certainly did not waste my time on a re-read, but I didn't seem to comment last time.

loveoverlustloveoverlustover 8 years ago
Avoid all extremes,follow The Middle Path. - The Buddha.

The title,above,may seem a bit out of place here,but that's exactly what the characters should have done in the end.

Just as a single minded goal for the career is bad,similarly, giving it up all & following in the steps of the husband does not make for a happy marriage. That sounds almost medieval. The important thing was that she needed to realize the folly of her way,which she did, in the end.

Of course, the rule works both ways.

The truth lies in balancing the two.Walking The Middle Path.

Agreed,relationships demand sacrifices albeit reasonable ones. A sacrifice that cuts through a part of your core kills the relationship,in the end.IMO.

Anyway,that said, I really liked the story,overall. A different concept in this, mostly , predictable genre. Although a bit overdone,it had some nice emotional play.

Gave it a 5.

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Oh, The Humanity!!

Oh, the Drama!!

There are more bodies wracked by sobs in this story than in any Lit story in the whole damn archive.

Does this take place in Italy? Are they Italians? If you have really and truly known the blood-borne fireworks that Italians can produce, you will know why I ask the question.

Anyway, the biggest problem in this story is a number. And that number is fifteen. If Arthur hadn't fulminated on the sidelines for 15 years, this whole thing would have seemed more reasonable.

All those years a simmerin' and a festerin' make him a kind of weirdo. Sorry, but it's true. One commenter got it right. He is a passive-aggressive, more or less wimpy guy. And does he ever know how to collapse and cry full-retard.

For the record, I don't think he can be too heavily castigated for getting some paid pussy. Cold-fish wifey herself said it had been six months of no sex for him. That is reason enough for him to plead insanity.

But what the fuck? Why did he have to have Shirley Chisolm stick her fingees up his Hershey Highway? What the fuck! Someone needs to put our author here on a couch for a few months to get that one figured out.

As for Ms Wunderkind herself, one issue of credibility is her overnight conversion to utterly peerless wife-supreme. Again, not withstanding Sterling's recalculations, if things hadn't been portrayed as her "fifteen-year" lapse of judgement the plot line would have seemed all around more believable.

On the other hand, this writer did something absolutely genius that stands alone in my two-year tenure here on Lit. When our couple first get together for that fateful conversation he goes off in the manner of a genuine and warm-hearted philosophe into a brilliant and evocative soliliquy. All sorts of questions and observations are posed characterising the human condition; life within that primordial, swirling weave of emotion. Yes, some are more comprehending of these things than others. We are not all Italians. But he was able to paint a beautiful and noble picture of human soul life in the tumult and turmoil of it's self discovery. Fantastic. Bravo!

Vito1960Vito1960about 8 years ago
Had me on the edge of my seat

This story is one of the best on this site. Both myself and my wife have read this, she with tears in her eyes. A husband and a wife should put each other before all others, that includes work. No matter what your boss asks you, your spouse comes first!! Even if it means the loss of your career!

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 8 years ago

Thanks for the offering.

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 7 years ago
Interesting

I don't see your ending. The problem is that she has put the bank as primary all these years and even now she runs back to the bank at the slightest whisper of trouble. So, in the end she decides on her husband. A better ending would have been deciding to avoid the negotiations but have her husband tell her that it was too late. This final set of actions broke the camels back.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 7 years ago
Seriously?

What a total asshole that he couldn't say, we are going to vacation in Japan and you are going to take four days to negotiate. Dipshit.

The minute she said she's not going, he should have said, right, we are going. Total ass.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
UGH!!!

The whole story was agonizingly painful and L-O-N-G!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
amazimg story!

the story was written very well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
too long, too tedious

and too ridiculous.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 6 years ago
Real

life. Take it from an old man. Most of the stories on here range from ok to crap to worse. There are life lessons in this one you usually can't get without suffering.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
He was just as bad

I agree , with Schwanze1 , he was selfish . The moment she said she wasn't going he should have said yes u are . He would have survived 4 days or even a week or so for her to get the deal done and save all those peoples jobs . Very selfish of him .

Otherwise it was a good story and even pulled a few tears from me along the way & at the end and I gave it 5 stars .

Keep writing ! ... Sandman_truck ...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great story!

Second time I've read this and it remains one of the best. There are some realities in the story that folks may not want to acknowledge. Should the husband have given her the four days? The happy ending was not assured, at all. Maybe she was Edwards' last hope. If it had been a slam dunk someone else could have done it. But if she was the only one who had a chance it sounds like there was a very good chance of failure. They don't feel the 15 years of neglect. There was much trust to be recovered, and the three happy weeks would have disappeared when she abandoned him again for the bank instead of celebrating birthday in Switzerland. Maybe he would have stuck around but the marriage would be on life support

The story may have been a little over the top in some of the emotional scenes, but it gripped my attention and drew me into their world.

bigbob2406bigbob2406over 6 years ago

Great story,thank you very much.

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
A STORY WITH BIBLICAL OUTCOMES

left to a mere mortal, TK U MLJ LV NV

xtchrxtchrover 6 years ago
Don't Buy It!

This story was well written but way to much crying and sobbing.

I just don't understand how this guy lasted 15 years with her. Some examples I remember;

-Left him in the hospital and had to fly off somewhere

-During sex asking him if he was finished yet, she had a big meeting in the morning.

-Him being the last to know about her big promotion and her dad had to remind her about telling him. (Lots of respect there)sarcasm

-No children because they would interfere with her work

He should have left her years before and found a woman who wanted a family.

And then her complete turn-around of ignoring him for 15 years and then she can't live without him??? Didn't buy that at all.

Thank for a story even though I found it rather hard to believe.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
well written but too long

career.. trophies that mean shit in the end. No one lives longer because they made VP, or exceeding profit projections. made the most deals or became partner. Its all superficial shit, If you try it so you're family is secure then fine, but you work to live not live to work. It wont make you a better person wont take care of you when you are down or in old age. Your loved ones do that. at the end of it all nothing we mere humans do is permanent. And most are lost to the winds of history, never even an insignificant speck on it. Things are just that , objects with no inherent value but that which we give them. A childs laughter, a kiss from a wife or husband, someone holding you when you are in pain, thats what makes you a decent successful person, not a Beemer or a big check. 15 yrs with this one, he shouldve left her long before that and found someone who would at least put him in her thoughts near the top of her list.

26thNC26thNCalmost 6 years ago
Good long story

Just found this and went back to read it all. Very good characters, although husband is a little weak. I have never been involved in banking, or other big business, so I don't know how realistic the narrative is. But it reads well, and I enjoyed it a lot.

trandall9991trandall9991over 5 years ago
wow just wow

The emphasis was not on anothet person. Just the job. I have been here right where Jennifer was. Work was more important than anything. However my problem was trying to forget an abusive foster care childhood. I learned my wife and life are so much more important than work. I hope nobody else has to recover from all I did. I am now mostly happy and healed.

cybojicybojiover 5 years ago
Excellent story

Very human. Good characters and plot. You have some talent. Keep writng. 5

notredame43notredame43over 5 years ago
decent story however

He should have left such a self centered, myopic witch, A job will not give you a hug or care for you when sick or sad. A job wont say I love you, your accomplishments mean shit. because when things go bad and you cost too much you are gone. so why stay with a woman who puts her all into meaningless things that at the end of the day wont comfort you. he cant have kids with this witch, which is a good thing and bad because hes a genetic dead end now. that's sad he stayed with this chick and that's why I gave it a low rating just like I would a real person like this,

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Schlock

The conflict creating the dramatic tension, especially in the last chapter, is absurd. No VP, let alone president, or, with very rare exceptions, CEOs, are as important to corporate outcomes as the author believes. VPs in banks are common and aren't even senior management. Second, insolvency or bankrupcy doesn't mean everyone is thrown out of a job. The bank gets recapitalized, sold, or its assets and operations are sold off. In no case does everyone's job disappear. In fact, incentives are often given to get people to stay. The torn career wife is another tired trope in LW. Sometimes the wife is a researcher, other times an M.D., a subject for an "important" study, etc. People writing these stories fail because they don't really understand the subject and, as a result, create absurd conflicts and scenarios. Apart from that, affirmative action pretty much assures that the beneficiaries (the vast majority) are little more than professional or corporate supernumeriaries. Melodramatic, poorly conceived schlock

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Nope

Reads like a LifeTime movie script...schmalz laden empty calories. Weepy, collapsing, needy Arthur was annoying

danoctoberdanoctoberabout 5 years ago
Excellent tale.

I can't see such a hard driven business woman do what she did. Love the story, butI don't believe she would have walked away from position she worked so hard for.

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Great

Second time through, and I actually enjoyed it more this time. A very well told story that is worth the time to read.

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

The story was interesting and held an important underlying truth... that career businesswomen make shit wives.

I can just imagine feminists howling with outrage at that one, but the sad reality is that people only have 24 hours in a day. If you spend 8 hours asleep and 10 hours in the office, that only leaves 6 hours left for a husband and children. Then there's the business trips abroad, the late-running meetings, and the end-of-quarter emergencies...

Arthur shouldn't have put up with Jenny's shit for so long, but after he finally snapped and asked for a divorce, he made a terrible mistake forgiving her. By reconciling, he ruined his chance of having children, because Jenny had wasted her prime fertile years being obsessed with her job.

He earned more money than she did and had a successful business of his own; it would have been incredibly easy to replace her. Arthur should have dumped Jenny and got himself an attractive, unambitious younger woman, who would be happy to be a loving housewife and give him a family. There are thousands of women out there who would have been overjoyed to never have to work another day in a menial job. Waitresses, check-out girls, shop assistants... rich pickings for a handsome, wealthy prince charming ready to whisk them away from a life of drudgery.

Instead he settled for a barren, selfish, corporate bitch, who couldn't cook and was shit in bed. Tragic...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
This author DESPERATELY..

..needs an editor. Syntax, punctuation and vocabulary all in major need of restraint. The dialogue is knee-deep in schmaltz, to the point of embarrassment. A tough, tough read with no reward at the end. One weak, flickering star.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Jennifer's Revenge

I liked this series very much with one exception: Arthur paid no price for his infidelity. Jennifer certainly was unfaithful through making the bank her top priority for so many years but she willingly paid a heavy price for this and took action to demonstrate her remorse. Arthur did neither despite the fact his betrayal was so much more cruel. There is.no mention that he even cared enough to have himself checked for STDs.

If Jennifer felt their relationship was too fragile to demand Arthur make amends it was not truly worth saving. If he was wearing a wedding ring the prostitutes also deserved to pay dearly. Physical injury that would have put an end to their whoring seems appropriate with Arthur at some point learning their fate.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Brilliant Emotional Rollercoaster!

This series is captivating and emotionally written in a brilliant manner that you feel the pain and anguish of both main characters. This is novel quality writing and real story telling! A real worth while read! I'm sure that the feminist radicals all hate it, but those who value people, love and meaningful relationships, like me, love it!

GrimmerGrimmeralmost 4 years ago

As a story goes, this had all the pieces. Sadly I came away with the impression from Chapter 4 on that most of the latter pieces were a forced fit. Not saying this should have had a different outcome. Rather the vehicle to get us to this point was hammered and fitted with twine, duct tape, glue, and a hammer.

Continuity was a bit lax. This detracted from what could have been a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Selfish

The husband should have encouraged her to save the bank and therefore the livelihoods of all the bank employees. I'm sorry but I think the wife and husband both sucked. I give one star because I found the main characters selfish.

WargamerWargameralmost 4 years ago

They were both immensely selfish people. She was a cunt he was a self centred asshole bastard theby deserved each other’s misery.

I was glad they could not have children such bad genetic material should never be passed on.

Woeful story, woeful characters woeful end.

This story, a waste of my time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
He should've left years agon

she cared about the bank ger job her eho and the trophies of accomplishment she got with each promotion over the love of her husband. Because of this they can't have kids which in her case is a good thing. Narcissists like her make lousy parents and role models

SexecutionerSexecutionerabout 3 years ago

Okay, an RAAC story that well, was pretty good. As for Arthur, I'll use Chris Rock's words. "I'm not condoning, but I understand."

nixroxnixroxover 2 years ago

1 star - this was just 10 pages too long. And what gives with all the crying?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Five stores for this one

She really did get it and she really did redeem her soul.

A bit lengthy on some internal dialog but overall a really great story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Well written. But Arthur should have walked away earlier.

And should ABSOLUTELY have walked away when she even ASKED about "saving" the bank.

What proves you can keep your word is NOT when it's easy. Any asshole can do it when it's easy. What proves you can be trusted us when it's HARD and you still keep your promise.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I agree Arthur the whoremonger got off far too easily. He made choices that fundamentally disrespected his marriage and sullied who he is as a man. Choices and actions have severe consequences for his workaholic wife, but St Arthur is somehow absolved from all responsibility for his sins. Misogyny is indeed alive and well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow, the fucking screaming returns. As expected, this story, by a very good writer, turned to shit.

First, do not ignore the psychological structure in the mind of one capable to ascend the heights of business. Research what it takes to become a CEO, and the according characteristics so much resembling that of a sociopath. Jennifer would NEVER have rejected the pleading of Edwards, nor the opportunity to

swoop in and become the savior. Put an emphatic period to that! Next, despite her internal arguments and false pleas for expiation, when she reached another difficult decision point, she again abandoned her husband: by sneaking out of the house, leaving behind yet another note, and going forth to seek counsel, from Dada, Edwards, and Bernie. She had knowledge, by this time, of the importance, weight, and income production earned by Arthur in his career, but she again did not approach him for counsel. She is one fucked up miserable selfish bitch; her screaming and caterwauling throughout the story is her unflappable trademark…no author could find any redemptive qualities that could have been accorded to her at all.

Next, some of the fuckwit commenters on this site dare to call Arthur a whoremonger. Again, no concern for the male ego, or even the compassion for someone caught in a loveless marriage. Even sadder, his predicament was due to his own overriding sense of fealty, compassion, and love for the harridan.

And yet, in what reality, does someone like her rise to be the representative ‘daughter’ of several sociopaths (see earlier comments about successful business people), the likes of Edwards and Bernie.

Who/What the fuck is Bernie?

I could go on for several pages about the characters, their and the story’s flaws, and how inconsequential and unlikely the story closes. But unlike most politicians and those under age 45 (it is 2022 when this comment appears), I do not believe that “everyone is entitled to my opinion.

That said, I was able to suspend belief long enough to digest this tale in its entirety, due to the quality of writing, and the author’s desperate attempt to explain the meaning of life. This would have been better if treated as an elegy.

Nevertheless, kudos to HeavyHeartLaments, and thanks to him for this tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story gripping in parts and now and then a bit obtuse but I had to finish it Wish I had a woman like her (jaybee186)

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I share the belief the story suffered from the dichotomy between what was required of Jennifer to atone for her neglect of the marriage and what was required of Arthur to gain forgiveness after his sexual infidelity. The sin of the woman is a grave offense that requires sacrifice and submission in order to earn reconciliation. Arthur's sordid behavior, however, requires no acts of contrition or atonement. A full day and night fucking whores is simply his due as an angry husband.

Sexist, hypocritical bullshit is a kind term for that unexamined inequality. The author is so immersed in the culture of inherent male superiority, it seems doubtful he had any awareness of the double standard he tacitly endorsed. That is truly sad because the stench of such blatant misogyny is both ripe and repugnant.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

second read.

In my world I think my wife would scream at me for letting her do what she did for 15 years and me not really doing anything. Then I hit her up with divorce and then I get it on with two prostitutes. Would she take me back? I think so, but that is her and no way would she be a crying wimpy woman like this.

Now, if I reversed the situation where I was the workaholic and not her it would be a totally different view. I would be angry with the divorce just as my wife BUT if I catch her having sex with two guys? Marriage definitely over! I would scream and yell "you slut you whore!" and we would not be touching each other ever again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Swap the genders and the BTB crowd would be excorciating the "wife" who slept with two hoookers a day for five days in a row. Including the second day of fucking them together. If it had been the neglected and wronged woman, then commenters would be flaming her character to perdition and beyond. Even had he first filed for divorce and gotten separation and then did this right away with the hookers, woukd be too premeditated to forgive. Well written and nice ending, but not sure how she got past the five days in that hotel with the hookers. He just shat on their marriage. Again imagine the genders were swapped. What a mess. Well written but reality is messy and harsh.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

So obviously someone from abroad trying to write as a North American. The said rubbish, they had tea and biscuits, their offices were cabins, the use of bloody as an adjective. All telling 😂, but decent story, I woulda been gone at year 5 since she said she never celebrated her husband's birthday with him...yikes

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Brings up some interesting debates if the gender between the husband and wife were swapped. Suspect many of the comments below would be different. There is no doubt the wife has mental issues and a massive obsession with her job. But all the BTB commenters would focus on is the sexual infidelity before divorce. If genders were swapped and it was the wife with a litany of guys, their brains would explode. So what about Arthur? If you believe what he did with the hookers was understandable because of all hisnyears if neglect and being run roughshod over or left to stand in the shadows, then reverse the gender roles, and then it should be Okafor Jennifer to fuck around for a week or two with a number of guys. Right?

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous