Everything that Glitters Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Brad, how are you feeling?"

"Zane, Carole has been with me for several weeks now, so we've talked. I want to give it another go. We may not be able to catch lightning in a bottle again like last year, but I feel we're on top of our game, and I know dang well you are in calf roping! One more year and I'll hang it up, but I'd like to try to repeat. The money is good because of our sponsorships, our business investments are working for us, and Carole and I think we can get by if we skype a lot, get together on the tour when we can, and get home every opportunity.

"Your situation is different, though; how are you feeling?"

Casey picked that moment to come running back inside, grab her mom, and excitedly proclaim, "Mom, you have to come see the fort we built! You too, Aunt Carole! We did it all by ourselves!"

Zane felt a pang of sadness: a few months ago, she would have said that to him. Would he be giving up too much to go back out for another year? Or was this fate's way of showing him that his daughter would be well taken care of in his absence?

"Let me talk to Cassandra some. She'd be taking on a helluva load if we do."

Casey decided to stay with Daddy that night, "Because I missed him so much, Mommy, but I'll stay with you and Gram tomorrow night! Is that okay?" It was, of course, and Zane, as tired and confused as he was, slept better than he had in a while - because she was in the next room.

***

Cassie and Zane did talk the next day, while Casey entertained the grandparents. It was a wide-ranging conversation, with more than a few surprises; not that least of which was Cassie gently lecturing Zane about the dangers of celebrity. He started to bow up, but she quietly mentioned that, "People like Alena and her husband will be all around you, all the time. You're too good a guy to get caught up in that stuff, and your reputation is so shiny clean it will make headlines if anyone finds out."

He started to ask how she knew, but she still had a lot of friends on the tour, so it wasn't surprising. He felt the urge to apologize and explain, but why? They weren't married, or anything. Still, that was a mistake, and maybe he should... He held his tongue.

"You're four years older than I was when I left, and you don't have my asshole dad feeding you drinks, drugs, and lies every day, but you have to understand it is treacherous out there. Look at me as a bad -- terrible -- example of that. I know sooner or later Casey will learn what a bitch I was, but I NEVER want her to think badly about the guy she practically worships."

They worked through Casey's care, the help needed for the ranch, cattle, and horses, and the logistics of getting daughter with daddy as often as feasible. He could handle the business end of it from the road, but it was Cassie taking on the big load back home.

"I'll have the same load you had for four years, minus the whole cheating-slut-wife thing!" she reminded him.

He walked around the table to where she was standing, grabbed her by both arms, and, with gritted teeth said, "That's the last time I EVER want to hear something like that come out of your mouth! That was then -- this is now! You are the mother of our daughter, and you deserve credit and respect for what you've done the past two years, and especially this fall! You're taking on an even larger load next year, and giving up your dream to do it -- I don't want to hear anything else bad said about you! Is that clear?"

Her lip was quivering, tears were in the corners of her eyes, but she held he gaze and nodded. "My dream changed, Zane. I don't give an damn about winning, being rodeo sweetheart, or celebrity anymore. My dream now is to as good a mother to my daughter as you are a father!"