Everything that Glitters Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you getting drunk already, lightweight?" Zane asked with a chuckle.

"Maybe, but tell me I'm wrong!"

Cassie picked that moment to slither out of the deep end of the pool like Aphrodite emerging from the sea. She straightened and stood beside the pool, pulled her bikini bottom down where it had ridden up over the bottom of the cheeks of her tight, round butt, and noticed them staring at her.

As if she hadn't seen them, she went through a series of poses: first, she turned toward them, tossed her long hair back, and ran her hands over her head, giving them a good frontal; then she turned sideways, facing the chair her towel was on, leaned over with her legs straight, and picked up the towel. That give them the side view, with boobs jutting over her taut little belly, and that world-class ass sticking out behind. She then faced away from them and began drying herself with the towel, starting with her ankles and moving slowly upward. Mesmerized, they stared with open mouths.

By the time she got to her hair, they both had to adjust the lumps in their swimsuits. They were still staring at her with open mouths when Carole laughed, climbed out of the pool and repeated the routine, while Cassie stood back, innocently watching with a knowing smile.

When she was through, she led Cassie over to the loungers, and sat down in Brad's lap. She wiggled her ass around on his swollen cock, looked quizzical, and asked, "What's this?"

"Don't act innocent!" Brad replied, "You two would give a mummy a hard on with all that posing, and you dang well know it!"

Cassie was standing beside Zane's chair, seemingly watching the interplay between Brad and Carole. Then she looked down at Zane's hard cock, leaned over, and whispered, "So I'm not too skinny for your likes anymore? Or is that for Carole?"

He grabbed her, pulled her onto his lap, and started tickling her. "Tease me, will ya? Now it's payback time."

Cassie shrieked and 'fought' her captor, but mostly she wiggled her cute butt over his big, hard, cock and writhed around to make sure his fingers found more than her ribs to tickle. They had to cool things when the girls jumped out of the pool and came over to save her from the tickle monster, but another line had been crossed, another barrier breached.

***

Mesa Verde was the best tour they had been on since... maybe ever. It seemed they could hear chanting when they climbed, quietly and respectfully, down into the underground kiva, a religious site they were allowed to visit. They marveled at the excellent condition of the buildings that had been abandoned in the late 1200s due to a prolonged drought, and at the skills and tenacity of the people who eked out a living in this inhospitable area for many centuries.

They had a basket of sandwiches and chips they brought with them for lunch, and Zane expounded on the Anasazi, the ancient Puebloans who had built Mesa Verde and the other cliff cities in the area. The 'ancient ones' who settled in the deserts of New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas fascinated him, and he passionately shared stories and legends about them to a rapt audience that kept growing as he continued talking. He got a round of applause when he finished his tale.

The "Four Corners" monument, where New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado all touch -- the only such site in the United States -- was surrounded by Native Americans selling their wares, and each of the women and girls left with handmade silver and turquoise jewelry and hand-beaded moccasins.

When they got back to Durango, Cassie discovered a pair of knee-high, lace up "moccasin boots", adorned with beads, conches, and turquoise, in her bed. She had loved the way they felt and looked laced over her jeans, but didn't buy them because of the high cost. She was confused at first, before she remembered that Zane liked the way they looked too.

She smiled and promised him she had a proper skirt to go with them; he pretended innocence.

The -D Chuckwagon meal was wasn't bad, but the entertainment by the Bar D Wranglers was classic: songs, comedy, and instrumentals from the old west! They sang along, laughed, and had a great time, before returning to the hotel for one last swim.

This time the women insisted the men join them in the pool, and horsey fights broke out. Casey was the champion over her two best friends, but then Carole challenged Cassie and Zane had to endure his ex-wife's hot little pussy against his neck while he held those lovely legs and she hooked her toes behind his ribs.

Casey slept in the room with them that night, which controlled the temptation that flared up when she appeared wearing a baby doll nightie and, at their daughter's behest, kissed him on the forehead. The girls ran to their bed, and Zane turned away from them, hoping sleep would find him sooner if he couldn't see Cassie.

The females had to have just one more shopping trip, so the men dropped them off and went to the stables to get the rigs and horses ready. They picked up the women folk from downtown when they got the call, and then loaded into the trucks while Cassie returned the rental. They picked her up and headed south.

After a while, Zane noticed that Cassie had an "I've got a secret" smile playing about her pretty face. "Why do you keep smiling like that?" he asked.

She acted surprised by his question and replied that she didn't know what he was talking about, but Casey giggled. Cajoling got him nowhere, and soon Cassie changed the subject to his plans for the next few weeks.

They made good time through the flatlands of New Mexico on US 550, caught I40 across the mountains until they reached US 84 and turned southeast toward Muleshoe, Texas. They stayed on US 84 to Lubbock, where they stopped for supper and then changed to US 87, which took them home through San Angelo and Brady.

It was after midnight when they arrived, and Casey had long since succumbed to sleep. That had given Cassie and Zane three hours to discuss the pros and cons of Cassie traveling with them to Washington for the Finale, consider ideas for maximizing the benefits of his time at home, looking ahead to the weeks before the Finals, and then the NFR. It was one of the longest conversations they'd had since she left with Daddy nearly five years ago.

Zane's anger at her was gone, but his lack of trust remained. Her regrets were still close to the surface, but the melancholy, self-loathing, and need to apologize repeatedly had faded after his fierce plea to move past her mistakes and live in the present. She was a pleasant companion, whether engaged in conversation or just riding along silently.

Maybe he should take her along.

***

They had been home for two weeks with another to go before heading to Washington State, when Brad stopped by. He had an unusual demeanor when she informed Zane, "I entered us in the team roping at the indoor facility at Stephenville this Saturday. I'm getting rusty, my horse is getting rank, and we could use the competition. I checked with the ladies first, and they said being gone Saturday wouldn't be a problem."

Zane was a bit surprised: they usually discussed these things before taking action, but he agreed they needed the completion and he had no plans for Saturday, so he told Brad that was fine.

They rolled out in Brad's rig at 5am headed for Stephenville, about two hours away. They were on Texas 29 near Buchanan Dam when Brad turned the conversation from how much ground Ricky and Joe had made up and what that meant going into the Finale, to something more personal.

"Zane, what are your feeling now about Cassie? I don't want to pry, but I'm... well, we're... curious. You are together a lot around the ranch, you and Casey eat with her and her mother almost every night, and she's come over and fixed your breakfast quite a few times too. Have y'all worked things out, or are... well, how are you feeling, now?"

"We're still co-parents, and co-workers at the ranch. Her mom invites us over every night except when Cassie is seeing her counselor, and she's a better cook than I am. When Cassie has cooked breakfast, it was because Casey spent the night with her and we had work to do the next morning."

"Okay, that explains the meals," Brad responded with a hint of exasperation, "but what about on a personal level? Are things better between you?"

"We get along fine now. We've put the past behind us, and live in the present. We both love Casey, so it's easy to get along."

"All right, dammit! You're avoiding the real issue! You know as well as we do that the woman is crazy in love with you, yet you don't even feed her an acorn of hope from time to time! Do you not believe that she's changed, because the rest of us dang sure do!"

"This is getting a bit too personal, Partner, but I'll answer because it's you asking. I keep myself under tight control around her. Why? Because I can't survive another crash landing, and neither can Casey! Yes, I believe she's changed, but how do I know for sure?

"it's easy to keep your jeans on living at home with Momma and taking care of your daughter, and when you're with your daughter and ex out on the tour. How about when you're alone? How about when you're all alone and a charming stranger or old lover offers you a hit, or a line of coke, or just a drink? What then?

"Trust is harder than forgiving, or caring. Sure, I care about her! Absolutely! She's even more gorgeous than the girl I married, and she's the mom I always wanted for Casey. But she was gorgeous when she left, she had been the perfect mom since our daughter was born, and then that person was gone and an alcoholic, drug-addicted slut took her place! How do I know that won't happen again?"

"How do I know Carole won't become a slut while I'm gone? She's gorgeous too!"

"Because she doesn't have a record of doing it; she's been steadfast and loyal throughout. Cassie has not."

"You didn't know Carole when she was twenty, did you? She pulled more than one stunt that could have broken us up. More relevantly, though, Carole didn't have a Dad who tricked her into leaving me, using drugs, and using her beauty to make money. We fought over her actions, but we worked things out without outside interference. You guys didn't have that chance.

"Anyway, Zane, lets focus on now. Cassie is twenty-five years old, with enough experiences behind her to know what she wants, and how she wants to spend her life. Think the twenty year-old would have walked off the tour while leading it? Do you think she would have sacrificed her world championships, queen contests, and rodeo sweetheart banners to live with mom, take care of a child, and run a ranch for an ex-husband who gives her no hope of reconciliation? I think we both know the answer to that.

"Look, as you know, Carole was ready to kill her when we ate supper at Phoenix that night, when Casey asked why she didn't love you guys anymore. When Cassie told Carole her story, she was skeptical, but after being with her so many times since then, seeing her in action with your child and with you, and seeing her live her faith, she believes in her."

Zane sighed deeply. "Sure, okay, but she's her best friend. She has to..."

"No, Zane, she doesn't love Cassie more than you and Casey! If she thought for a moment that Cassie would do anything to hurt either of you, she probably would kill her! She honestly believes.... Hell, I honestly believe, that the Cassie we know now would kill herself before she would hurt either of you!

"And, my friend, you love her! Don't shake your head; I see the way you look at her when you think no one's watching! If you don't give her another chance, you are going to cheat three people out of the life they could have: yourself, because you'll never love anyone like you love her; her, because she'll never love anyone the way she loves you; and Casey, because she'll never have a set of parents who love her and each other!

And that's all I have to say about that."

"Thank you, Forest. You've given me plenty to think about. Now, hows about we try to win this little shindig? Be pretty embarrassing for the reigning world champions to lose to a couple of Tarleton Texan Rodeo Club members, although some of those boys will likely be champs one day too."

It created a pretty good buzz when they arrived and entered the open division, and an even greater buzz when they showed why they are the reigning champs. When the roping was over and they had new buckles and some cash, they were surrounded by rodeo club members and lessor lights from the tour.

"Ricky and Joe have been doing some damage with you guys taking a break," said, Mike, one of the top 100 headers on the tour. "There was speculation that maybe you had lost the desire and focus, but after seeing you two today, damn! They better tie it on, because you're going to terrorize the Finale!"

The trip back was quiet. Zane was thinking, and Brad let him be.

They did get back in time for the 'wayward ropers' supper at Sue's, and Bard noticed Zane studying Cassie when she was busy or wasn't aware he was watching. His expression was bland, but his eyes were focused and questing.

As normal, the kids played and the adults visited after the meal. Cassie and Zane were no more than cordial, but there was a tension between them that others noticed. When his parents announced they were leaving, his mom said, "Zane, can you come by tomorrow after breakfast? I have something I need help with." He, of course agreed.

When he got there about eight the next morning, his mom and dad were sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee, with an extra cup ready to be poured. "So, what's up?" he asked, sipping his hot coffee.

His parents exchanged glances, and then his mom said, "Honey, we don't want to interfere in your personal business..."

"But?" he added.

"But in this case we are going to, because this involves us too. Us, Sue, Casey... we're all involved!"

Zane remained leaning forward, sipping his coffee, so she continued. "You and Cassie got married early; too early. We told you, but neither of you would listen. You both had a lot of growing up to do, but Cassandra had even more than you. She's an only child, and Sue admits she was doted on and spoiled her whole life. She also admits she was selfish and self-centered, but she says, and we agree, that you were good for her. With you, she was learning to look at things from other perspective than her own selfish viewpoint.

"To this day, we believe -- and by 'we' I mean Sue as well as your dad and I -- we believe she would have continued maturing as a mother and wife without Albert interfering and misleading her. Regardless, he did, and she did what she did. It nearly ruined you, and Casey suffered every day for want of a mother. I only say this to let you know that we know why you are gun-shy around her.

"But, Son, she's not that selfish, self-centered, and naïve girl anymore! She's a mature young woman who puts her daughter and her responsibility to her ex-husband and family above her own needs. We certainly don't want you and our precious grandchild to ever be hurt again, but we also don't want you to live your life -- your personal life -- trying to avoid love because it might hurt you!

"Oh, you've dated a little, and had a few overnight guests that we know of, but nothing has come of that, and we know why. It's as plain as the nose on your face: you love that girl! Well, you loved the girl first, but now you love the woman she's become! So does Casey, so do we, so do all your friends, the folks at church, and everyone around town!"

Zane stared down at the table to consider her words, and his response.

"Mom, you're right: I guess I never stopped loving her. But is that enough? Once a cheater, always a cheater, they claim. I don't know how I could deal with another blow from her, and if we get back together and she leaves us again, what becomes of Casey? She would be crushed!"

"Son, let me ask you a question or two," asked his dad. "If she leaves now, do you think Casey wouldn't be crushed, just because you aren't married? I'm afraid that horse is out of the corral. If you wanted Casey to grow up without her momma in her life, you should have never let them get back together.

"If she suddenly called Albert and told him to pick her up, and bring the booze, drugs, and worthless men from her past, are you saying it wouldn't hurt because you aren't married to her?" He chortled, and continued. "Get real! Anything could happen; hell, you could be the one who goes off the deep end, or your momma here could! There's no way to avoid the inexplicable.

"But I'd bet my life, and my son and granddaughter's happiness, that Cassie is incapable of doing something like that again. I'm not telling you that you have to take her back, Son. That's up to you! But you need to get off high center and either go forward or back out of this entanglement. Seems like you're just spinning your wheels, and that's no way to live! Especially for someone still in his twenties."

"She's a beautiful young woman, Zane. She's put her life on hold to try and get her family back together after she tore it up. She's as chaste as a nun, and she'll keep on doing penance for a while longer. But at some point, she's going to want a husband and another child or two. The question is whether that will be your child, or someone else's."

***

"If you rode up to Washington with us, how would that work with Casey?" Zane asked Cassie that afternoon while they were giving Junior and Suds a workout by riding them around the pasture and down to the river.

"She will stay with Mom, Carole will take her to school and back, and she and mom will eat supper with your parents. She will be well taken care of, to say the least."

"And why are you willing to ride and drive 31 hours with two nasty, smelly men? You know it's going to be a miserable pull, with a lot of mountain driving thrown in, and taking turns resting in the sleeper. Why subject yourself to that?"

Cassie hesitated, then looked directly at him and answered, "I could say I'd like to see the Finale this year, especially with you guys being in a real race, and that would be true. I could say I'd like to help with the driving so y'all don't get exhausted, and that would be true. Or, I could say I like being with you and miss you when you're gone, and that would be true.

"Which answer do you like best?"

She got a smile in return, and "Well, welcome aboard. We'll leave at four am three days before it starts, so we can drive for eighteen hours before we stop. We won't actually sleep in the truck, although it's great for napping, because we need our beauty sleep and that's hard to get in the sleeper."

She kept looking straight ahead and answered, "Sounds good," but he could see a smile, or maybe a smirk, playing around her mouth.

'Damn she is pretty,' he thought. 'I didn't think she could get any better looking than when she moved here at fifteen, or than she looked in her wedding dress at eighteen, or than she looked while she was pregnant with at Casey at nineteen, but DAMN! She just keeps getting better looking!'

Cassie couldn't hear his thoughts, and she refused to look at him for fear her emotions would tell him too much, but she could somehow feel his appreciation and lust for her, and it set her body and mind on fire! Oh well; she could always blame her wet jeans and panties on the saddle.

***

If the trip had been Zane, Brad, and Sirius radio, it would have been brutal, but Cassie kept things light and pleasant. They spent the night in Ogden, Utah, with Cassie and Zane sharing the bed and Brad taking the lower bunk. Both wanted to cross the Rubicon and touch the other, but they stayed on their own sides. If there was a good time, this wasn't it.

There was a big shindig the night before the rodeo started in neighboring Tacoma, and their sponsors begged them to go. The Five-Star Hotel Murano was the site, and the party area included the main ballroom as well as several hospitality suites on the same floor.