All Comments on 'Everything that Glitters'

by Texican1830

Sort by:
  • 134 Comments
lujon2019lujon2019over 2 years ago

After a few songs and prayers, Cowboy Bob, the preacher, began telling them how you can be 'reborn' as a Cuck.

Fixed it for you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Not bad until you started with the imaginary friend worship

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good start but would like to read more. Where do they go from here? I enjoyed what I read but would love you to finish this

MightyheartMightyheartover 2 years ago

Good One but you forgot something.

You left it a bit raw and unfinished.

Need to complete it.

kelchakelchaover 2 years ago

Remorse is good. Not getting back together is better. She was just too much of a skank in a very small community of rodeo men. Dozens or hundreds of men and women have had her sexually. Just too much to put up with and not worth the risk to himself or daughter.

francemanfrancemanover 2 years ago

what a bunch of nonsense.

Did you do drugs with Cassie?

the scene of violence with Rick is so silly and gratuitous, especially in a country where there are more lawyers than cow dung.

your main character is well written until this scene or you try to pass him off as a macho, alpha, super man ... but you only managed to make it totally ridiculous.

it’s a shame.

the story focuses on betrayal, abandonment, infidelities, ...... then "I'm sorry" and all is forgiven. Wow! what a plot!

With such beliefs, the world of Disney is not about to end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The lean towards forgiveness makes this a 4 not a 5 star story. Forgiveness is a pretty word for stupidity.

secretsalsecretsalover 2 years ago

Pretty good read, if a little too much on the preachy side for my tastes. But the writing chops are undeniable, keep at it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Don’t have him take her back. Fix him up with the new girl and her be true. Let the mother see her daughter and be in her life but not as his wife.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
About time

It’s about time this great song became a story. I hope you finish it.

neilnblowme2neilnblowme2over 2 years ago

matter what is said you have already made up your mind on how your story ends

personally all i would think of was my daughter and i would never had let the bitch anywhere near my daughter

now that she is washed up she wants to come back! what a joke

4 fucking years she doesn t give a fuck now all of a sudden she saw the light

remember the prom ....

anyway fuck me once shame on you fuck me twice shame on me.....

if you are the lucky 1% and she stays faithfull lucky you and go buy a lottery ticket because you have a better chance of winning the lottery then the bitch staying faithful and hurting your daughter again and again

i ll wait for the sequel to rate this story but i have a funny feeling it won t be to my liking !!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I noticed through out Cassandra's "confession" to Zane not once did she apologize or say she was sorry she cheated on Zane and tragically hurt Zane and her daughter for deserting and abandoning them because of her selfishness and entitlement. She's sorry she screwed up he life but she screwed up Zane's and her daughter s as well. So, she's cleaned up her act, been sober and chaste for two years but how does she recompense Zane and her daughter for the years of pain and heartbreak she caused? Funny thing about repentance, it doesn't promise you a happy ending in this life. Only that your sins are forgiven and you'll get your reward in the next life.

I can see Zane allowing Cassandra back into her daughter's life but pulling off having Zane take her back into his life in any romantic setting any time soon is asking for a lot from your readers. Zane deserves better than that and its available if you just let the man move on with this life. If you're intent on having them reunite then let it happen many years later like after Zane remarries and his new wife dies of cancer 20 years later. Then you can let the redeemed Cassandra help heal Zane and rebuild his life.

oldsage_1oldsage_1over 2 years ago

Great story there, Tex, and a hell of a tease at the end. I see you entered it in Loving Wives which normally isn't my favorite but I have already given you 5 stars. Tell you what, resist the recent BTB infatuation of this genre and give them a happy ending and I'll find 5 more stars and keep reading your yarns. I'd buy you a case of Lone Star long necks but lost your address!

Oh and while you are at it, dredge up that SOB father of Cassie's and give him a good case of Texas Whipass. An extra star if Elle delivers some of the Comeuppance!

Well there's your challenge! I know you will get lots of "one and done" comments from the LW aficionados but then you'll just have another run of the mill Loving Wives tails. Blah!

Cheers

SAGE

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Liked the story. Without meaning to nitpick, the people of Calgary would be really surprised to learn that their city had moved from Alberta to British Columbia.

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

A very good start hope there is a chapter 2. Does Zane go to the NFR.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Love the song, your story good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

If you’re going to borrow your plot from a song “Every thing that glitters (is not gold)” Dan Seals, you really should acknowledge it somewhere.

pepepilotpepepilotover 2 years ago

Good story as far as it went. I can only assume that you have a chapter 2 to add to this. As at least one other said, I'll save my vote until I can read a follow-up.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicover 2 years ago

I play the album that the song “Every thing that glitters (is not gold)” by Dan Seals, is on almost every day. Your story has some merit and meaning BUT it is not finished. I will be expecting more from you on this in the near future. I would hate to see it end here, unlike the song they had no future with his ex only his daughter. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story 5 stars look forward to a part 2 thankyou

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Okay, you know the circuit. Lets have a good finish to this cause you started so strong. I enjoyed the ever loving daylights outa this.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 2 years ago

I loved the first 5 pages of your story. It sucked me into your universe, was well written, and had solid character development. The last paragraph or so, where you leading us to a non-end, was not up to par with the rest. You have a long way to go with part 2 to keep us engaged. One commenter is correct, regulars in this genre heavily lean toward BTB, but I take a different slant. In the case where there are children involved, everything possible should be done to keep the family unit whole. There are often cases where the disrespect has cut too deep to make it possible, but parents owe their children to try. It is up to YOU to continue with a story that leads us to an ending that is plausible. Can people change? I'll give testament to that all day! Unfortunately, I've seen great people turn bad as well as bad turn good. So far, your characters have my attention... 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great writing. Captured some to keep the BTB crowd happy with a chance at RAAC. I honestly don’t know where to take this.

loyalr7700loyalr7700over 2 years ago

One of the best stories I've read in a long time, please follow up with the rest of the story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

4 years of neglect but hey, she is sorry and even revirginated. I wonder what Zane will do? (Rolling eyes)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

why would he ever take the whore back him and his daughter do not need the slut

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wellll. I've met a few born again ex-cons who've told their stories (some pretty bad stuff) and had gotten out of prison. They had married, raised families and interestingly enough most felt compelled to work in ministries for those who are still incarcerated. Soooo yes. It is possible for someone to bottom out in life and return to the "fold" as it were. This is what the parable of the prodigal son is all about (well, a lot of what is about anyway). Yes there are real losers out there, but we're not talking about them. Cassie made two errors in judgment, one as a young teenager, this lapse of judgment was realized and not out of the norm for a young teen girl. The greater error was listening to her father who did not have his daughter's best interest at heart. She put trust in someone who was supposed to keep her safe but he clouded her judgment instead. So in a way, she's not 100% at fault, but still... She eventually seems the light and takes "documentable" corrective action. Give her the benefit of a doubt.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Cassie will always be a mother, that's a medical fact.

Who can never again be Zane's wife. I know, I know... "to err is human, to forgive divine".

Zane's not Jesus, likely given the Southwest, Jesus is another roper.

"Jesus saves" - an old tech joke on why Jesus beat the Devil - as Windows crashed, and the Devil lost all his work.

It would do Cassie a world of good to see Zane rode hard, put away wet, by that young filly Jo Fay back in Las Cruces, New Mexico... particularly when Jo Fay twists the knife:

"Coulda had, woulda had, shoulda had... he's mine now."

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

Agree with OldSage_1. Get the old man, reconcile with the daughter and then Zane. You wrote a romance, and rightfully put it in LW, but finish it in Romance. Like your other stories, read them all.

lukeshortlukeshortover 2 years ago

Decent story until the non end. The ending made the rest of it trash. I will be careful about reading any more of your stories. You also used a lot of song lyrics without giving the songwriter any credit. 2*

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 2 years ago

Page 1: Yes, it was ignoring an early warning sign. Anything bad after that was his fault.

Hiram325Hiram325over 2 years ago

I'd like to read more of this tale, but there are things that cannot be came back from... Cassie's disgraceful behavior fits that description. If you do continue the story, please don't write it as a RAAC.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 2 years ago

Damn seldom anyone writes a reconciliation story worth a damn. This author got it done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

1. Nothing says "elderly and out of touch" better than a sentence like this: "That Carole was a certificated teacher who could enrich whichever paltry home school curriculum program they decided on was another big factor."

She would be a "certified teacher", and homeschool curricula are not "paltry". In fact, today the typical government school teacher is a fucking ignoramus full of idiotic, HARMFUL "pedagogical theories" and wokester drivel. Homeschool students out perform their government school and private counterparts by a substantial margin, and that performance is essentially invariate with respect the education level of the parents and their socioeconomic status. Yes, parents who have high school degrees and less do a better job academically with their children than your "highly trained education professionals" with their bogus master's degrees in education. If you actually knew anything about government schools today, you'd know they are vomiting out semiliterates who can't find the Great Lakes on a fucking map or do math. This applies to "charter schools", too. (International Leadership Academy in Texas is a perfect example of charter school failure, even though education "reformers" point out that charter school students tend to do better than regular government schools when adjusted for socio-economic status). I know many teachers who went into teaching as a second career, and they are stampeding for the exits. So, just go on and pretend that it's 1961, but the truth is that sending your children to government schools has constituted child abuse for two generations. And don't slide into the education welfare queen mantra that "our schools are different!" They aren't different is any way that matters much, and that asinine claim is as tired and false as the LW slut wife's claim that "It isn't what is looks like." when she's caught with some bastard's dick up her ass.

2. Learn to use pronouns correctly. "They" for example, requires a plural antecedent...that is, unless you are Women's Studies woketard.

3. The reconciliation issue is handled VERY well, and it's a question of degree. If Zane is a serious Christian, IRL he would need to test Cassie's bona fides with respect to her transformation. If she really is going to dedicate herself to her daughter instead of continuing to chase the glamour of being a rodeo queen and has given up her sleazy slutting and drug habits, Zane would be obligated to let her back into their daughter's life and to treat her civilly. Reconciling as a couple is another matter, but depending on how the story is continued, I think you could sell a reconciliation that reasonable adults would not call a "RAAC".

4. You need to have the courage to finish the story your way and not leave it to others. You have solid writing skills.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 2 years ago

You sure can weave a great story but pllllease don't leave us hanging !!! 5 from me.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 2 years ago

Allso agree with Oldsage_1

SystemShockSystemShockover 2 years ago

I mean, the bible is also full of absolute psychopaths, and entire cities that are wiped from the face of the planet because they wouldn't change their ways. Even your god literally gives up on humanity itself and decides that global genocide is better than dealing with their shit. And is supposedly ready to do it again at some point.

So yeah, not the best thing to base your tale of redemption on. But yes, people can and do change for the better. There are plenty who have seen the darkness, broken free and have no desire to go back. But then there are just as many others who saw it, liked it and keep it as their summer home. Unfortunately the only real way to find out who's who is to role the dice and wait for something to test their mettle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I'm a reconciliation type of person and would prefer a happy ending for this couple. But I do wonder, what kind of woman allows her father to make fun of her husband and ESPECIALLY her daughter! I understand she was taking drugs but come on! She should have shut him down right then and returned home if he didn't stop. I can handle a wife betraying her husband. It's not right but at least they are both adults. But to betray one's own child and abandon one's responsibilities as a mother, is a bridge too far for me. Still, I look forward to seeing if Cassie can redeem herself. Not just repent, but redeem.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 2 years ago

Reminds me of the quote from Jeffrey R. Holland, "God doesn't care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are and, with His help, where you are willing to go."

.

This story has a clear and natural trajectory, that will make it a helluva compelling romance, if you forget about the rabid foaming from the mouth vocal LW fringe and trust your gut.

.

Thanks for the story. Born and raised in the Southwest, I enjoy the PRC angle.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Would have given it a Four +, but you have bottled out and not finished it. Two stars only

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnonover 2 years ago

This went completely off the stupid rails around the born again section with the imaginary sky daddy. Otherwise, a solid story, if not a tad heavy on meandering details.

Wh00sherWh00sherover 2 years ago

Leave husband and daughter. Because her dad said so.

Sleep around as much as you want

Suddenly believe in the imaginary magic man in the sky

Say you are sorry

Expect everything to be forgotten just because you are pretty

That about sum it up?

Awful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Reconciliation or Burn the Bitch....its not just one option or the other.....the third obvious option is they each move on with their separate lives. While the reconciliation camp clamor for Cassie to have a second chance and there's no reason she can't have one but doesn't Zane deserve a second chance at life as well with someone who hasn't betrayed, abandoned and deserted him.

Their best chance at having a better and deserving life is with someone other than each other. Each gets to start with a fresh slate and a chance at full life filled with happiness...just not with each other. Sure, they'll always have a connection because of their daughter but it doesn't mean they need to be shackled together with no other options or choices for a better life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Now what? Nothing. He must keep staying away from her.

MwestohioMwestohioover 2 years ago

Excellent writing and a great many details on rodeo. Thanks for the education in C&W songs

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Garbage

Just stop.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

How did the comments section in Loving Wives become a soap box for uneducated, pompous, angry right wing idiots trying to prove points by showing their pathetic ignorance? "They" can be used as a singular pronoun under most style guides when the gender identity of the of the person referred to is unknown. This is because English long ago dropped singular gender neutral pronouns so they is properly used when that pronoun is required. I know the idiots would rather get angry about shit they don't understand than try to critically examine language usage. But blast the world by showing your stupidity. It only helps those you despise.

docrxdocrxover 2 years ago

Wrote a decent story then turned it into a tent meeting. 2stars.

NathanGarrettNathanGarrettover 2 years ago

Nope. No reconciliation. Let her see her daughter but don't trust her. IRL have seen more reconciliations fail because the disrespect and trust never truly can be repaired. Glad she got clean and found what was right but Zane deserves better. Just be friends. Zane go back to Jo

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

Anonymous, and nothing clarifies your position like saying “government schools” and claiming home school is superior. In fact, you definitely don’t want to go there, because my experience, expertise, and data are far beyond yours.

Interesting that teachers, who used to stay for forty years, are “running for the exit” now, when those who call public schools “government schools” have been in charge for the better part of three decades. You’d think…

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

So, for some of you, a decision by a fifteen year old girl to go to the biggest event of the year with someone eligible to go, is predictive of a future as a cheating slut? Wow! Must not have spent much time around 14-15 yo girls, or 16-7 yo boys. Maturity ain’t exactly a straight line.

unclejack32unclejack32over 2 years ago

Who cares what everybody else thinks should happen. It's YOUR story....finish it how you see it. Some people will love it, some will hate it and everyone else will fall somewhere between the two. Great authors live by the phrase, "to thine own self be true". Call 'em like you see 'em and if people don't like it they can write their own damn story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The prodigal...

SkubabillSkubabillover 2 years ago

This may be your best story yet. Five stars

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 2 years ago
Biggest Quibble

The overlooked aspect of this story is that Hubby is, even during his sabbatical from the rodeo tours, still a part of the rodeo community. He raises horses that are used for a number of the competitions and also for the ceremonies. Those clients/friends would be keeping him aware of Sweetie’s ‘Miracle of Rebirth’! Or at least her reversal of her barrel-racing downslide, separation from the influence of Asshole Daddy, and increased acceptance by rodeo leaders.

The missing ending is very implicit. Hubby is a Christian. Despite being depicted as surprised by his Ex’s Rebirth (ironically, at about the time of the divorce), he has compelling evidence from his friends, her friends and Sweetie’s claims, plus her actions during (and after) her seeing her daughter two years older, he cannot NOT forgive and remarry her. Otherwise, he is a Christian Of Convenience - which is contrary to every depiction of him in the story. (Yeah, even though he and his cohort did THREATEN to murder Rick & Rick’s cohort! But We-The-Readers know they may have followed through with some of the threat, but would not have seriously harmed the assholes.)

4*

ReaderectionReaderectionover 2 years ago

The prom debacle is less of a red flag than her completely abandoning her daughter for the past two years after her conversion experience, not even sending a birthday card. Her thinking that’s some kind of personal penance shows she’s still thinking only of herself, with no consideration for how it hurt the little girl.

KittyCampbellKittyCampbellover 2 years ago

You are either going to finish your story or not. As for your sanctimony, you're just being a prick in disguise.

ju8streadingju8streadingover 2 years ago

i couldn't trust her

BoxerR100BoxerR100over 2 years ago

Outstanding!! You are a very good writer. Stay true to your voice, know you have the talent to put forth good work, and by all means keep writing. We look forward to reading more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I would vote separate lives, with the daughter being the only connection between the two. Any other final outcome is just wishful thinking. Just my two cents, based on my RL experiences.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I hope a reconciliation can be reached. Despite Cassie's horrible actions, I do believe Zane is her true and only romantic love and that she's still in love with him. The toxic substances she took and toxic people she was around clouded her judgment. But once that was out of her system and she could think clearly, she knew she had taken the wrong path. Plus that little girl has suffered a lot. She deserves to have both parents with her and gain reassurance of Cassie's love for her and their love for each other. Cassie does have to prove she's changed and sorry though. I hope she can and will!

Impo_64Impo_64over 2 years ago

Any autor asking for help how is story must end, shows e has lost his characters. Only he knows tem. If he doesn't know how they will react, nobody else knows. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I hope he gets to move on... She may of changed but what she did doesnt deserve his love again. Yes, Cassie deserves a chance to be a mother again but not his wife, so I hope it doesnt end up a raac story. Its the authors story so I'd imagine he/she probably has an idea of how the story will turn out regardless of what the commenters like myself say.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Great story, I loved the entire six pages and the promise of more. I've seen terrible people turn their lives around and become model citizens after divine intervention. I've also seen some sorry bastards turn it around after having their attitudes physically adjusted , like Ricky in your story. I like redemption and reconciliation when it is earned. Cassie may just be a great candidate for that reconciliation. If Daddy is still around, he has a lot to answer for. Its your masterpiece, and I can't wait to see how you finish it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I don't see them ever getting back what they had, but I'd like to think she can end up in their lives somehow. If she can avoid turning back into the drug-crazed slut, her daughter deserves to get her mom back, even if that mom can't be Daddy's wife again. I know a couple who have divorced each other twice and are now on marriage number three, so anything's possible. I do know drugs were involved for them, and cleaning up (and leaning heavily on Jesus) has made their reconciliation possible.

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Great story! 5 stars and a BIG thank you!

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesover 2 years ago

Kudos on bringing to the LW category a fresh, well-observed setting. And the possibility of redemption is one of the most powerful themes in storytelling. If you can sell Cassie's bid for redemption with sufficient dramatic emotion, we readers will buy it.

teedeedubteedeedubover 2 years ago

Well, as a story it's interesting. An Ode to Garth Brooks, I guess. 'The Dance' is a great song, as is 'The River'. And 'Ain't goin down til the sun comes up' is a kick. You got most of the roping terms right, but really, hooey? Just stick with a half-hitch. You don't speak or write the vernacular so it all comes off as phony. Cowboy churches are real and people are reborn every minute of every day all over the world. So what was the point of the story? Perhaps you could round out your Country and Western music background with a little Marty Robbins 'Gunfighter Ballads'. Most particularly, 'El Paso', if you really are a Texas boy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

3 stars, tale not finished

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 2 years ago

I challenge her final statements: nobody abandoned her. She pushed them far enough, that it was too painful to think about her. Zane is a solid guy. His only concern is his daughter. Whether he believes Cassie or not, he’ll decide based on what he thinks is best for Casey. The real question, is: how much is Cassie willing to do, and for how long?

Zane is right to be troubled. He has to be prepared to ask Cassie to stay far away, the first time he hears of the slightest misstep.

OPrimeOPrimeover 2 years ago

Zane is a simple dumb ass. So, his wife takes a break from their marriage and finds god and he is all okay with it. Not so fast folks. Something in the water, oh wait a minute...it is Texas! Tent revival or rodeo, what is it? There are no other good faithful women in the west, or is Zane drawn to losers. Sad story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Let her move on ,you cannot reconcile with this reformed whore. She screwed every Tom dick and Harry. You should move on to. There are so many good women for you. Okay if she sees her daughter but you two are over. End of story. It looks like you are going to write her back in.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I liked a lot of the story. The end raises also interesting issues. Nevertheless,Texican knows nothing about the state of "public" or "government schools" over the last two generations. The overwhelmingly negative data match the responsible teachers' experiences, and, contrary to what he says, the schools are firmly in the hands of the left and have been for a very long time. We teachers aren't leaving because there's too much discipline in the schools or because the academic standards are too high (actually, there's NO student accountability. For example, we can't give a grade lower than 50, even if the student turns in nothing, and the literacy level of the students would be unrecognizable to Texican. Classes are chaotic, too, because of the lack of discipline. It's state wide in Texas, and the high SES suburban districts are only slightly better than the rest...but not enough to matter. The data show this across the country, but the ED special interests work hard to cover up the problems. Most parents really don't want to know how poorly their children are doing because they have become education welfare queens.). I teach in a government/public school, but we homeschool because, unlike the author, we know what's going on. In most parts of the country teachers homeschool at a higher rate than the public at large (at least until this covid thing hit and parents began to see how low the intellectual standards in the schools are.) I don't want t take anything away from Texican as a writer. On the whole he is one of the best writers here. Still, I agree with the Anon - nothing says "out of touch" like claiming that government/public schools provide a better education than independent homeschooling (This excludes government/public school at home, which in one Idaho study turned out to be the worst education option available).

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Despite the high quality of the story, the comment thread is hilarious. The Anon is correct about the proper use of pronouns. They need to match their antecedents in number. The tard Anon is right about "style guides", but I was around when feminists (male and female) got the power to make the style guides their ideological playground. I assume that the latest ignorant, woketard assaults on "style" - for example, eliminating references to women menstruating in favor of "menstruating people" - is "O'tay" with that Anon. What morons we have here. And why go after the author's injection of Christian repentance? It's a belief system that is not shared by all, but it is the majority in Texas and among the demographic in the story. I was left wondering how the author might have played it out. I wish he had gone further with his theme.

rhetthebratrhetthebratover 2 years ago

Disappointed. Your story, your choice -- pick a lane and floor it. Well written, compelling characters, but it needs an ending. For my money, I can't see him trusting a woman who ran out on their young daughter, no matter how much she says she's changed. Forgiveness can be a half remedy -- amicable to acknowledge her repentance, but separate to acknowledge the betrayal.

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

My last foray into the “government schools” issue, but, to clarify, I served more than forty years in public schools, which are controlled by locally elected boards of trustees. Three children graduated from such schools: one is a successful businessman with a business degree; one has a master’s and a highly successful career in instructional technology; the other has MIS and Law degrees and works in cyber security for a multi-billion dollar company. Five grandchildren are products of public schools: two are 3.85+ university students, one is an honor grad on a full scholarship at another university, and the other two are top 10% in their respective schools.

In my experience, some who become teachers are poorly equipped emotionally and mentally for the rigors of dealing with teenagers, much less parents whose concern is not how well their children are learning. Teaching is a calling, not a fallback, and classroom management is where the rubber meets the road. Likewise, if you think whether a kid can find the Great Lakes on a map in this digital age is a final measure of learning, you are the one stuck in 1960.

If your locally controlled schools can be left-leaning in this mandate-laden age in which legislators and a SBOE composed of reactionaries dictate curriculum and assessment, you are either so far right that everything seems left, or you need to elect a new board of trustees.

Anyone I know will attest that I’m far from out of touch with public education ca 2020. In fact, I serve as a consultant to several districts of distinction.

Okay, back to the story - part two is coming. Fair warning: it will satisfy few whose vision is limited to black and white, because it employs a rather vivid palate.

WwoodyWwoodyover 2 years ago

FORGIVENESS IS GOD'S GIFT TO MANKIND

ribnitinribnitinover 2 years ago

Preaching, not story telling. This could have been much better, and gotten the point across if you had focused on the story.

teedeedubteedeedubover 2 years ago

Wwoody. Perhaps. But it is against company policy.

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 2 years ago

stops being about him and her, everything to do with the daughter. if ur not willing to do anything for ur child dont have them. as for this story has no end so its useless to me. rofl god's gift to mankind huh would ask what god but probably shouldnt get into that here

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

Teedeedub, I see you have been through sexual harassment training! (Really lol!)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I liked this chapter but given the author's comments about his chapter 2, I'm sure I won't like it. Cassie doesn't need to be burned. She burned herself. She should not be taken back. Give her a chance to communicate with her daughter and mother but she forfeited her relationship with her family. She gave up her family for fame. She destroyed her mother's marriage as well as her own. Even after she "was saved" she made no effort to repair the damage she caused. She continued to be the Queen of the Rodeo. She's toxic.

If you wanted to write a reconciliation story, she should have done much less for a shorter time. One affair on a trip with a proper confession. She was gone for four years. She regrets what she did but it is not clear that she understands how badly she hurt others.

I hope in chapter two she has a fatal accident at the rodeo and gets forgiveness after a true admission of her understanding of what she has done before she dies. I don't think that's going to happen. I gave this chapter a 4 and anticipate the next will get a 2 or less. She is not wife material. She went to orgies with her father rather than come home. Jesus.

reasonable man

reasonable man

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You owe Dan Seals royalties. Even the names and the title are the same and not a footnote or even a mention of his name.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I’m sorry but blatant plagiarism pisses me off. Dan Seals wrote and recorded the song “Everything That Glitters”. The song begins “Saw your picture on a poster at a cafe out in Phoenix. Guess you’re still the sweetheart of the rodeo,” and features the daughter, “Little Casey.”

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

From author's comment:

"...it employs a rather vivid palate."

Sounds interesting from a health professional's point of view, but I don't think I'm willing to stare into author's mouth to appreciate it.

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

Okay, I’m blaming that on word and my poor edit seeing pallete. Ha

lovemyroselovemyroseover 2 years ago

Great story." The Dance" was a great song for Zane to sing. More stories with a western flavor please.

Just4funinmass80Just4funinmass80over 2 years ago

Great story. Hope you continue it in part 2

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Gone for 4 years plus disrespect... You can't be forgiven with a short speech about what you did and that your sorry. You have to make up for those 4 years of pain and suffering you created. I can't see how any one could do that. You can't have a reconciliation without providing that level of compensation. Maybe taking dad on a TV show telling everyone that he did to the marriage and the daughter, then shoot him in the nuts.

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

Part two is in final edits. Should go for review by tomorrow. Patience is appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Anxiously looking forward to part 2. Very good and captivating story so far.

Richie4110Richie4110over 2 years ago

Incomplete and a rushed close. Very well developed and an interesting insight into the rodeo life.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story and very strong on the rodeo setting and terminology. I’ll be interested to see how this story evolves and closes.

SilverWolf78754SilverWolf78754over 2 years ago

Very true to life. Yeah, one a cheater always a cheater is often true, but there is redemption available. The Christian faith is not only about piety, but about people who do not deserve mercy, receiving mercy. That is the gospel.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 2 years ago

I gave you 5* because of intent, which I rarely do for RAAC, but for me personally, this topic (western) was a rough read.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkover 2 years ago

What do I think? I'm 70 years old and I've seen far too many examples of "Once a cheater, always a cheater!" Yet I can't help but recall one of my earliest memories, watching my mother iron clothes. She explained what she was doing and why, concluding with, "Don't ever touch this iron, it's very hot and WILL burn you." Well, it didn't really look all THAT hot. Maybe she was exaggerating a little? About 10 minutes later, when she was distracted, I decided to give it a quick fingertip test. HOLY FREAKING CATS, THAT THING WAS HOT! I've never touched an iron since then. A leopard can't change his spots, but humans CAN change - with enough of the right motivation.

nestorb30nestorb30over 2 years ago

She can be forgiven, she can be redeemed, she can rebuild a relationship with her daughter and Zane. Doesn't mean he has to take her back as other than the mother if his daughter. I guess what I am saying it doesn't have to be either completely out of Zane and Casey's life or a reconciliation where he married the silly bitch again. It could just be a decent relationship because of their shared past and their daughter

SemperSolus0198SemperSolus0198over 2 years ago

Never forget what a cheater has done, and they should never be forgiven for what they have done either, especially when a child is involved. The prom dance should have been a huge red flag to Zane. They were at least partially involved and she wanted something her boyfriend could not attend, but did anyways? It means that she easily lead, and only thinks of herself, and she should have been dropped permanently at that point.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Why would the main character be troubled? The spoiled little monstrosity showed he true stripes and nothing's going to change that. Get away from her and keep her away from his daughter.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 2 years ago

To Err is Human, to forgive is divine!

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTexican1830@Texican1830
Yes, I'm old enough to have enjoyed the '60s...and 70s, and everything from then until now. My experiences and points of view are likely quite different, so be open minded when you read my stuff, as I do with yours. Current works: Chapters 1 & 2 of Comeuppance are awaiting a...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES