All Comments on 'Face the Music'

by Maonaigh

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
Shaima32Shaima32about 4 years ago
Brilliant!

I loved this story, especially the ending where Bjorn gets his comeuppance. I liked the way you portrayed these two women, one grieving over the death of Carole and the other struggling to escape the clutches of the church. My late sister was very much like that, struggling to marry the two seemingly conflicting ways of being. She never died an alcoholic death, cancer took her, but our mother certainly has some similarities to Bjorn. I could hear my mother in his diatribes, which is why we very rarely talk because it always ends up with me telling her to climb off her soapbox and get back in her box. The wife-beating is certainly a real thing that still happens today within the church, regardless of the denomination.

The love scene was beautifully done and I do agree that it was almost 'secondary' to the plot but still a cornerstone if Gudrun and Sarah were to come to terms with their respective pasts. It makes me wonder if there aren't other former parishioners who aren't struggling with their sexuality! Sorry, I had to slip that bit in but it might give you a chance to bring these two women back, at least for walk-on parts. I've given this a five-star rating because it was so moving and I'd like to see more of them.

sandy_parissandy_parisabout 4 years ago

I saw your name in the new stories list and got excited. I was right to do so. I loved it. It is emotional and thought-provoking. There is love and a great outcome. The sex didn't matter but it was perfect. I got to the Epilog and hesitated because I knew that if I read it, that would be the end. It was emotional and I confess I shed a few tears, what a great and unexpected way to end it. Thank for this story and your writing. I look forward to more soon. Thanks

foxyfowlerfoxyfowlerabout 4 years ago
Wonderful

This story I have just read I read about Carole and Sarah and now Sarah Gudrun are now girlfriends and hope you will write so we know how it all ends for these two will they end up getting married because they both have had bad memories too cope with but with love they can become happy and loving couple .

colin23colin23about 4 years ago
A pity that religious people are always portrayed as bigoted

I really enjoyed the story and gave it 5 stars, but I would appreciate an occasional story in which people with religious faith were humane and kindly rather than bigoted and hypocritical. I am sure some of us are.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Good read

Lovely story but wish Pastor Nystrom had faced legal consequences for his actions. Far too many people get away with his kind of behavior because of fear and “loyalty” to family.

BoxcarbillBoxcarbillabout 4 years ago
Really good *****

easy reading. Would like for you to continue the story and maybe bring Patricia and Gudrun's Mother into the fold. Sarah and Gudrun could bring then in over a period of time.

LimentinaLimentinaabout 4 years ago
A worthy addition to the canon

Solid characters, solid story, excellent prose. Always a pleasure to read what you have been working on and I thoroughly enjoyed this latest.

DiTo_DDiTo_Dabout 4 years ago

I loved it!! From the start to the blue butterfly.

Thank you for this one Maonaigh. Now I really NEED to read all these other stories of yours.

One thing kept coming up: You're certain you're not into D/s? ;)

Hugs and a big five stars !!

D.

stroudlestroudleabout 4 years ago
Absolutely wonderful

I just love how you craft your characters, from Sarah and Gudrun to the smaller part characters . Sarah and Gudrun went on a journey and as the reader we went along with them . I like a story with a mix of emotions and I went from wanting to throttle one character to wanting to hug another . Its another 5 stars and a favourite from me . Thank you

Jc

podslypodslyabout 4 years ago

as always way to bring a story to a close

LilyVonSchtuppLilyVonSchtuppabout 4 years ago
Well done

This was really well done. I loved the characters. I went back and re read the first stories with Sarah and Gudrun. I'm glad that Sarah found a happily ever after, and that Gudrun found the strength to break away from her oppressive childhood and forced marriage.

As always, thank you for sharing your talents with us.

jenorma2012jenorma2012about 4 years ago

Great story, I love the way you put into it about your other stories forever Autumn, which in my opinion is one of the all time best stories on this site

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Brilliant

Loved the story !

SilveringRoseSilveringRoseabout 4 years ago

Apparently there are these things called words and you use them to say nice things about things that please. Unfortunately mine all seem to have disappeared into the ether.

This was great, I adored it - thank you so much for telling this story. There were obviously spots where the story moved a little too swiftly along but that is the nature of short stories and it took nothing away from the overall picture. Thank you again.

HiddenInTheOpenHiddenInTheOpenabout 4 years ago
Lovely story!

Wow, so very good! thank you for sharing this with us!

BillyslateBillyslateabout 4 years ago
An Absolutely Powerful Story!!

I am so pleased at refreshing my memory by re-reading Forever Autumn & Smile, prior to reading this Romance story. I certainly enjoyed Face the Music exceedingly more by being fully aware of the characters from the 2-semi prequel stories.

Thanks for writing such a marvelous story to your committed "Literotica Audience", as well as for the occasional site visitor!!

Face the Music is definitely 5*-STAR Rated Romance Story

vanmyers86vanmyers86about 4 years ago

We all love reading stories written by someone who knows what he or she is doing. One thing I did not properly appreciate until today is how calming and even healing it is to read the work of a writer who really understands his craft. Having just moved 1,600 miles and started a new job during a global pandemic, I am moody and often weepy these days – not my usual self at all. But this tale took me right out of my worries and transported me to another place, as all good stories do. When I reemerged into my own world, I felt much better for having spent time in Maonaigh’s. And that’s the highest praise I can offer.

Well done, my friend, as always!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Awesome

Wow. This is a really good read. What I really enjoyed the most was the faux hatred between them in the beginning. It was exhilarating. Gudrun's kindness after Sarah's unwarranted outbursts. Leaving Sarah feeling like a jerk. It's a really good story.

I've both characters stories, (though, awhile ago. I've been a silent fan of your work for sometime now), and am glad to see both characters didn't end up sad and alone. And Grandma was right, what happened to Carole wasn't Sarah's fault.

It's really sad to know some people got parents like Gudruns'. Am glad to see she was finally able to stand up to them.

Thank you for this.

CeVin_ChienElleCeVin_ChienElleover 3 years ago
Rereading...

and really enjoying it. Your characters are interesting, and I root for them from the first sentence. Plus I'm totally in love with Niamh (even though she only gets a couple of mentions in this story.)

Watching the pros in action is educational, but mostly it's extremely entertaining.

CeVin_ChienElleCeVin_ChienElleover 3 years ago
Oops. That was supposed to be "watching the prose pros in action"

The brain gets ahead of the fingers, particularly when you're trying to get cute.

Make of that what you will.

Trace_WatersTrace_Watersabout 3 years ago

Very lovely. The portrayal of the father/vicar, though labled as Christian, hewas anything but; just a person full of hate and rage. Despite the hashness of her up bringing, Gudrun seemed to have maintained a sense of herself and a vision for her life. Seems as though things worked out for her good. Thanks for sharing.🙂

Only_connectOnly_connectabout 3 years ago

Beautiful!

A great story, very well written.

Nerdyqueen94Nerdyqueen94over 2 years ago

Characters of such beauty, tragedy, joy, and sorrow. Your stories are relatable with such energy. Though works of fiction they ring loudly with life's truths.

LilkahunaLilkahunaover 2 years ago

I am getting addicted here. I keep looking for the next story and frequently have to back up to read those referenced in the introduction. Nice way with words and character descriptions. I would love to know how you do that but I will leave that to the pros. Very nice job.

CagivagurlCagivagurlabout 2 years ago

Absolutely fabulous story...

Stunningly strong characters, and the tension is so perfectly allowed to build...

Wonderful.

Thank you for posting, it is beautiful.

Cagivagurl

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Bloody beautiful, I can wipe my eyes now after that last paragraph. A sad happy end to a wonderful story.

Slurpy29Slurpy29almost 2 years ago

A truly brilliant story. You wove the stories of two characters, each suffering from traumatic experiences into a beautiful, romantic relationship. Telling both sides perfectly. The ending was truly wonderful. This was my second read and I thought had posted a comment when it first came out. A definite 5 star story.

teekjayteekjayover 1 year ago

I couldn't have hit that fifth star any faster. What a beautiful, touching story. It also was a little bit terrifying because of the venomous hatred and bigotry from Gudrun's father, and, at the same time, reassuring to believe there are people out there who are compassionate and tolerant. As the father of two lesbian girls and the godfather of a transgender male, I pray they run into more of the latter.

okami1061okami1061over 1 year ago

A simple story ... and a good one.

And though "Autumn" didn't quite reach me, the butterfly at the end here was almost enough to make up for it.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyover 1 year ago

It now make sense that i started reading your whole work load in chronological form ...... So this story was a perfect wrapping and a truly lovely romance ...... But yeah but Church, and yes not all are bigots or Devils, but some hiding the black soul under a white robe or talar ...... Happy end is important and forgiveness is hard to find

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖🍀

Nicole2023Nicole2023over 1 year ago

Way to give them love

nogravynogravyabout 1 year ago

Quite simply, the best lesbian romantic by a British author that I've ever read. I'm working my way through the entire catalog, and I haven't encountered a single one that didn't merit Five Stars. Thanks so much for the enjoyable times spent with your work.

PurplefizzPurplefizz11 months ago

Completely wonderful! Many years ago I used to know our Methodist ministers daughter, she was brow beaten at home and he was a most unpleasant man, less about love and all about suffering, but out of the house Lois was like a child on a permanent sugar rush, getting so much fun and life in before she had to return to her unhappy home, I often wonder what happened to her….

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz. 5⭐️

Roti8211Chanai643Roti8211Chanai6438 months ago

A lovely way to complete the story!

So much anger, pain, and bigotry, but then the renewal, happiness, and of course love!

All sealed with a blue butterfly!

Truly magical writing!

Thank you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMaonaigh@Maonaigh
I've been writing semi-pro since the 1960s, most of my stories falling under the blanket heading of weird tales. However, I'd written nothing for 5-6 years because my wife was very ill and disabled and care for her was my priority. Some months after her death in December 2013 ...