Faking Forever Ch. 08

Story Info
Faking forever with my brother's best friend.
1.5k words
4.56
2.8k
2
3

Part 8 of the 17 part series

Updated 03/13/2024
Created 08/06/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The harsh blue light of my computer screen hurt my eyes as I stared at it typing up my weekly report. I had settled into the new job quiet well, despite the naysayers within the company. The fundraiser and subsequent dinner on the Yorks' yacht had helped me gain some footing with upper management, which I felt put me in good standing for career progression. I was excited to see where it all took me.

"Ms. Adler?" Julie poked her head into the office and winced as I looked up. I knew she hated interrupting me. I glanced at my phone, the red "mute" light still glowing after my conference call with Los Angeles.

"Gosh, I'm sorry. What is it?"

"Uh, I tried buzzing you but I think you forgot to unmute. Tifany Andrews needs a word with you about the ProtoTech account." She hovered in the open door with a pasted-on smile.

"Thanks, Julie. You can send her in. And if that happens again it's totally fine to just knock and tell me I'm a bone head." I smiled and her posture relaxed. "I'm not a 'bite your head off' sort of boss. We're human--myself included--and I'm counting on you to keep my ducks straight."

She nodded and backed out. "Of course." This time her smile was genuine.

It was only matter of seconds before Tifany barged into the office and sat down. She didn't have the decency to shut the door behind her but the ProtoTech account wasn't highly confidential. I eyed the door and sighed, but tried to push my annoyance aside.

"What can I do for you?" I minimized the report on my screen after saving it and turned my full attention to Tifany. After the fundraiser and the snide remarks she'd made, I knew she would be a challenge, but difficult people come with the territory when you're in management.

"Well, ProtoTech shares are up following our reach on socials. They want to branch out to broadcast. They want primetime slots next week." She hadn't brought the file or even a tablet to show me the numbers. It was an amateur move for someone who had more experience than me.

"Okay, well I will have to see the numbers before I can tell you what price to quote them. But you knew that. So what is your real reason for being here?" I folded my hands confidently in front of me.

"I just want you to take my client seriously. Pushing Pratt's agenda in front of York is a ballsy move for someone so green. I want you to make sure you're doing your job correctly. If ProtoTech gets outbid by Pratt, I'm going to smell a rat. Nepotism doesn't sit well with me." Tifany casually crossed one leg over the other and looked down her pointed nose at me.

"I appreciate your fair warning, but I am very capable of doing my job professionally."

"You don't fool anyone, Adler." She uncrossed her leg and leaned forward. "The only reason you got the job instead of them hiring from within was because you have Drew freakin' Pratt hanging off your arm. It's like you knew you couldn't sleep your way to the top since York is such a devoted husband, you decided to dangle carrots that convert to dollar signs." The more she spoke the more I thought she looked like viper waiting to strike.

"Ms. Andrews, I acknowledge your concern and assure you that my personal relationship with Mr. Pratt has nothing to do with my position here at Cox. Now if there is nothing further, I will get back to my reports." My firm but professional approach had its perks and drawbacks. I was able to avoid discussing my personal life to a certain point, but I couldn't just smack the smug look off her face.

"What happens when Pratt dumps you. Because we all know he's way too good for you. Then what? Will you still have York wrapped around your finger?" She smacked her gum and stood up. As she headed for the door I realized people outside the office probably heard what she was saying.

"Thank you for closing the door behind you as you go." I wanted to tell her to not let the door smack her ass on the way out, but that would be an HR nightmare.

When the door was securely shut, I let out a quiet growl under my breath. I refused to be seen as weak but in that situation I felt powerless. At least my business classes helped me understand how to keep my cool professionally while emotionally I was ready to snap. Drew Pratt always found a way to yank my chain and even now he was there, in spirit, nudging me toward the proverbial cliff.

My phone buzzed and Julie's voice came over the intercom. "Ma'am, Mr. York, and Mr. Rivers would like you to join them in the conference room."

I let my shoulders slump and looked at my computer screen. I'd never get this damn report done if I kept getting interrupted. I reached out and pushed the intercom button. "Sure, Julie. Thank you."

After using my compact mirror to check my makeup, I stood and headed for the conference room. No doubt the conversation would focus on my relationship with Drew and how it could benefit the company. Ride the tailwind, Cici. My internal pep talk continued until I opened the door to find not only York and Rivers, but also Gladys Mayer, head of logistics. They sat around the table, each with a coffee parked in front of themselves.

"Uh, hello." My fumbled greeting got their attention. Mr. York stood and waved me in.

"Cici, come on in. Have a seat." He gestured at the empty seat across from him and sat back down, tucking his tie against his stomach as he did. "Gladys, Jim, this is Cecilia Adler. She'll be the head of the Pratt account."

As soon as I heard Drew's name I gritted my teeth. He was going to follow me around everywhere I went, all because I agreed to his stupid fake relationship idea. As if I hadn't been annoyed enough by him as a child, now his dark shadow hung over my head at work. All I wanted was to be taken seriously, and I knew there were staff who reported to me who would never take me seriously thanks to Drew. I felt like introducing him to York was a dodgy move to begin with but now I regretted it even more. I wanted the success I had to come from my hard work, not his influence.

"Nice to meet you," I said as I sat down. Gladys had a warm smile. Jim had a stern glower on his face, but every time I'd ever seen him he'd had the same sour expression.

"So glad you're on the team, Cici." Gladys pushed a manilla folder toward me and nodded at it. "This is the plan we've drawn up based on the conversations Mr. York has had with Mr. Pratt. We know you two are close so you will head this up. Of course your team will do the dirty work, but you're responsible for all client communication."

I took the folder and opened it. The plan wasn't anything special. I'd seen dozens of them and knew just at a glance that Drew was in this for a quarter of a million dollars just to start. He wanted to expand his reach and Gladys's plan would help him do just that.

"Looks about right." I nodded unconsciously as I read through the finer details.

"So you can handle this?" Mr. Rivers tapped his finger on the table in front of himself. Based on the expression on his face I decided he wasn't fond of me in this position either.

I squared my shoulders and straightened. "I'm more than capable if that is what you're asking. And Mr. Pratt and I will have no trouble separating our personal relationship from business. We're both professionals."

Mr. York grinned. "Good, good. Exactly what I wanted to hear." He took a deep breath and continued. "This is our highest priority account for now. Make sure we make him shine across the board. I'm counting on you, Cici."

Just when I thought I'd be able to cut the cord and walk away from Drew, I got waylaid with a binding contract. I was now his marketing connection and we would be forced to spend time together. Granted, that time would be in an office, not in the backseat of a car or the dark hallway of a boat. Still, if sparks continued to fly the way they had been every time we were together, I was in trouble.

The meeting continued, but my mind wandered to the moment he nearly kissed me. I had wanted it so bad, even though I was drunk. Even though I was furious with him. Even though I hated him.

I hated him, right?