Faking Forever Ch. 09-10

Story Info
Faking forever with my brother's best friend.
3.1k words
4.57
2.9k
4
1

Part 9 of the 17 part series

Updated 03/13/2024
Created 08/06/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Authors note:

First, thank you all for taking time to read this little tale I've spun. I'm glad you're all enjoying it.

Second, some of you have commented that you want longer submissions. This story was written for a client of mine who ended up not paying me, so I retained the copyright, and I am publishing it myself. That said, the submissions have been short because they are chapters of that novel written based on a client's wishes.

Good news! I'll start uploading two chapters for every submission for the remainder of the book! Also, good news for those of you hating Drew right now: hold on... ;) He comes around.

Cheers

Ovni

***

Chapter 9

Cici looked amazing. She wore a navy blue skirt suit and white button down, with bright red heels. Her hair was swept up into a French twist, her makeup done perfectly. I rose as she entered my office carrying her briefcase. For a moment there was an awkward tension, her approaching my desk after being let in by my secretary. I didn't know what to call her or how to address her. She'd always been just Cici, my friend's sister. Now she was Cici, my marketing consultant from one of the largest media conglomerations in the eastern United States.

"Mr. Pratt," she said, sliding her briefcase onto the corner of my desk. She popped it open and pulled out a file before she sat down. I didn't sit until she was seated. My secretary nodded at me as she retreated out the door and shut it behind herself.

"Cici, it's good to see you." I adjusted my tie and waited for her to hand me the file.

"Is it?" I heard the air of spite in her voice but her placid expression betrayed no hostility. "Here are the figures we've come up with. If you'll look closely at page three of the contract, you'll see the numbers that will secure your timeslots in primetime. There is always a chance those numbers go up if the market shifts, but--"

"I understand how this works. It's not my first rodeo." I flipped open the file and browsed the contract and report. It was old news. I'd seen the same sort of thing on different letter head once a year for the past ten years. I was more interested in discussing some more personal matters, especially now that I had an itch to scratch as far as Beck was concerned.

"If you're happy with them, I can get your signature now, or we can have you visit Cox once you've had a chance to go over them more thoroughly."

I shut the file and dropped it on my desk, waving away her words like they were a foul stench. Her expression remained stoic as she watched me straighten in my seat. "I'd be happy to take a few days and have legal look it over. In the meantime, how do you feel about a cabin in the Poconos in a few weeks? Long weekend, hiking, fishing, and I think there is some sort of festival going on in the town." I looked into it. It turned out Harper's cabin was situated in a small town on a lake where they celebrated the town founder with games and prizes and some sort of parade.

"What?" Her eyebrows drew together into a confused expression. "Why would I go to the Poconos with you?"

"Well, I'm still trying to win that client. It's his cabin. He offered it to us, and now he's being a little pushy about us taking it. I think he is just trying to prove I'm not really into you and that I'm free game for his daughter." I shrugged as I told the lie. Winston hadn't pressured me at all, but I knew it was a great chance to add more credibility to the relationship in his eyes, and getting Cici away from NYC meant more time for us to get acquainted.

"No," she said curtly. She sat back in the chair and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm already catching flack from coworkers about our 'dating' and I don't want to drag this out. I'm ready to be done. You're overshadowing everything I do at work. I needed a plus one for an event, and this has turned into a nightmare."

I wanted to bring up the boat, the way her body responded to me, but I didn't want to push too hard. I had to come from a different angle to reach her. Cici really cared about her reputation and her career, so I knew that was the only thing that would sell her.

"Look, I know how much it will help my case. Winston is ready to sign on the dotted line as far as my business plan goes. I know he's holding out for that personal angle. It's the way men like him work. He wants to make his daughter happy and for whatever reason he's got it in his head that I'm the one to do that. If he knows I'm not on the cards, then he'll tell baby girl she needs to move on." I gestured with my hands as I spoke. I watched Cici's eyes follow my hand movements but her deadpan didn't encourage me.

"I don't see how I get anything out of this. You're basically stealing the show with York. He doesn't know my name at all. All he thinks about is the money you're going to put into the firm, and whatever other business dealings you're working out."

"I'm hoping to gain him as a client." I winked at her and she scowled. "But seriously, think about it this way. The more you sell this thing we have with York, the more he leans on you for this account. When I come through for him both in terms of what services I procure from him and what services I offer to him, your name will be on the tip of his tongue at every meeting. The more that happens, the higher your status in his eyes."

Her lips pursed and I could see her thinking about it. She shifted in the chair and sighed hard, then I watched her leg start bouncing. "I don't like it. My subordinates think the only reason I got the job is because I knew you."

"They're morons." I shook my head, leaning over my desk toward her to go in for the kill. "I'll insist the only person I want on my account is you and your team. You tell me who they are that is failing you and I'll dress them down personally when they make a mistake, because they will make a mistake. If that doesn't work, then every single time I speak with York, I'll make sure to sing your praise. It won't even matter what the staff thinks. You'll just shine."

She looked away. I knew I had her. Her eyes flicked to my face then back to the file in front of me. She was ready to take the plunge, so I added the final straw to snap that proverbial camel's back in two.

"You tell me your conditions and I'll meet them all, no exceptions. They can be whatever you want."

Her leg bounced feverishly and her head tilted. "Fine." She sat up, uncrossing her legs and arms. "Sign the contract so I can really sell it to York. I'll have to get the time off work. Here are my conditions: Separate bedrooms. I absolutely will not sleep in the same room as you. It is strictly a working vacation. I'll call it a retreat to really hash out the details of the marketing strategies we'll use. Only three days. I can't afford any more time off unless you're paying me to go on the trip. And so help me god, Drew, if you try to put the moves on me, I will slit your throat while you sleep."

My chest tightened, a surge of adrenaline shooting through me. When she got fired up like that it did things to me. I wanted to egg her on, really work her up so she'd fight me and I could feel that passion and chemistry, but I had won this war for now.

"I accept all the conditions. I'll call Winston and set it up. I'll have my secretary email you the itinerary." I stood and she followed suit. "You won't regret this."

As soon as she was out the door with signed contract in hand, I felt a stupid grin cross my face. It wasn't because I'd won that argument. It wasn't because I would get the chance to be alone with her. It was strange, but I smiled because I was genuinely excited about taking her away. Untouchable as she was, that wasn't what made me happy in that moment.

I sat behind my desk thinking about her for a moment, wondering if she was the festival type or if she really would work all weekend. I bet she looked great in baggy sweats and a messy bun. I had never taken time to get to know her before, merely used her as a way to get a good laugh, so this would be a new experience for both of us. As long as she didn't pick fights every day, we'd have a good time.

I reached for my phone and dialed Winston's number and his personal assistant put me through. "Winston, remember when you mentioned me using that cabin? I think I'd like to take you up on that."

Chapter 10

"No, honey, if you're going to the mountains you need sensible shoes, not sandals." Nev snatched my brown leather sandals out of my hand and tossed them. "You'll thank me."

I shrugged and picked up the stack of clothing that she had approved and stuffed it into my suitcase. I had no intention of going outside anyway, but I wanted to go prepared for anything. Nev had been gracious enough to join me this evening to pack for the trip. Drew planned to pick me up early in the morning tomorrow.

"It's entirely pointless to pack anything but slippers and sweats. I'm going to lock myself into that cabin and work on a few projects I want to get a head start on. It's impossible being a boss. I can't get my work done because everyone is too busy asking me a billion questions all day." I shoved my favorite t-shirt into the bag when Nev looked the other direction. She had banned me from taking it due to the hole near the hem and a few stains, but I loved it.

"What does Beck have to say about this?" She took the duffel bag and stuffed a handful of panties and socks in the end pocket then zipped it shut. I crawled onto my bed and grabbed my pillow, sitting cross-legged. I hugged the pillow to my stomach.

"Uh, he doesn't know. I was just going to tell him I'd be out of town." I bit my lip and half-grimaced.

Nev eyed me as if she thought I was hiding something, but she didn't say a word. She climbed onto the bed and sat facing me, picking at a loose thread on the comforter. "So why are you going?"

I hadn't thought about what to tell other people about why I was going. I knew internally I had broken down in a moment of weakness. Looking at Drew in that suit he wore and seeing how incredible he looked had my heart pounding. I fought to keep my body from aching for him but it wasn't easy because we were supposed to have been talking about work, and he didn't seem to be in the business mindset.

"It's purely for the fake relationship. We'll have separate rooms. It's a work weekend. I'm taking all my things." I gestured at my briefcase and computer bag. "His client needs to see that we're actually serious, and he promised to really make my boss love the work I do."

"I see..." Her accusing tone scratched down my back but I didn't respond to it. I heard Beck come in the front door and his footsteps moved straight toward my open bedroom door. I should have shut it. He peeked his head in and noticed Nev, then straightened his posture and squared his shoulders.

"Hey, Cici." I knew he liked her but he'd never admit it.

"Hey." I hugged the pillow more tightly. "How was work?"

He studied Nev for a moment then his eyes roamed the room as he spoke. "Fine. Just had a meeting with Drew."

"How'd that go?" I asked, watching his eyes land on the packed duffel bag. I knew he'd had a spat with Drew last weekend because when he came home following a visit to Drew's house, he was irate, but he wouldn't tell me what happened and he smelled like soggy cigar smoke.

"Going somewhere?"

Nev's eyes widened, her eyebrows rising. She looked to me and to Beck. "Uh, maybe I should go?"

I shook my head. "No, it's fine...." Turning to Beck I said, "I'm going to the Poconos this weekend. I'm having a work weekend."

Beck looked at my briefcase and computer bag situated on my desk. Then his eyebrows drew together and he pursed his lips. "Drew said he'd be out of town this weekend too. We were supposed to go golfing."

So Drew hadn't told him. The look on Nev's face told me she'd rather not be around for this bickering match but she was stuck now. "I'm going out of town with Drew."

He rolled his eyes and scowled. "He just can't listen to anyone." I had no idea what that meant but before I got a chance to ask Beck about it, he continued. "Why are you going out of town? This is a fake relationship, not a real one."

I slid off the bed, still holding the pillow and stood there staring at him. I felt better about having a disagreement while standing. Somehow, sitting there while he towered over me made me feel vulnerable.

"It's a work trip, Beck. We are collaborating on some marketing plans for Drew's firm, and we need the time to really work things out." It wasn't entirely true. I would be working, but not on Drew's plans, and not with Drew at all. But it was the story we were telling people--everyone but Nev.

"You are ridiculous. You think I buy that?"

"Think what you want. I don't need your permission to live my life."

"You could at least be respectful of what I want since you're living in my house free of charge." His hands balled up into fists and his nostrils flared.

"Why is it so horrible if I go on a trip with Drew anyway? You two are best friends."

"You don't know what he's like, Cici."

"Cici--" Nev said, but I snapped at Beck cutting her off.

"I am a grown woman. I can decide who I want to spend my time with. And I do know what he's like. He's an irritating, childish man-baby."

Beck scoffed and backed out of the room and I threw the pillow at the door. It hit the wall and fell, and I stomped over and slammed the door shut. Beck was as infuriating as Drew was, and the worst part was it would be weeks until my apartment was ready, or at least that is what the landlord thought the last time I checked.

My pulse was racing, whether from the nerves of confessing what was actually happening to my overprotective brother, or because of how defensive his words made me feel I didn't know. I pressed my hand to my forehead and paced the length of the room. He made me so angry I could spit.

"Alright, you need to sit down and take a few deep breaths." Nev tried to mother me again, but I wasn't' having it. I had to put up with Drew for the good of my career, but I didn't have to put up with Beck. Maybe when I got home from the trip, I'd just put myself up in a hotel for a while.

"He makes me so mad."

"Look, girl, maybe he makes you so mad because you actually do like Drew. It's an honest thing. You used to have a huge crush on him and that was before he got his manly body. And I think he's literally gorgeous now."

I wanted to claw my own eyeballs out every time she brought that up. The man was so annoying and egotistical, but she was right. He was the hottest guy I'd ever seen and I was going to be trapped with him in that cabin all weekend near some small town. There would be no escaping interaction with him. Still, I knew full well all we would do is argue.

"You do like him!"

"No!" I spun around on my heel. "No. I got over that crush a long time ago. He's good looking but I feel nothing."

"So NSA sex?" Nev wagged her eyebrows.

"Ew!" I scowled and crossed my arms over my chest. "He's like an old man, Nev."

"He's thirty seven, woman. That's not old...." She relaxed back onto the bed and sighed. "But what would your mother say?"

"My mother will have nothing to say because I'm not actually dating Drew. I'm faking a relationship with him to help him secure the client of his reams and then I'm going on about my life." I picked up the sandals and unzipped the bag, shoving them in and zipping it shut again. "Besides, my mother doesn't have to know anything about it. Beck isn't stupid enough to talk to her about stuff like this. And Beck isn't my parent. He can't decide what I do with my life. This is going to be good for my career. "

The more I rambled the better I felt about the situation. Nev, however, continued to eye me suspiciously. I could see in her eye that she didn't believe a word I said. I believed it though. There were no redeemable parts of Drew's personality. He may be the hottest guy I'd ever met, but with an attitude like his, it ruined any good looks.

"Look, I need you on my side. You're my best friend, okay?"

Nev threw a pillow at me and chuckled. "I'm telling you. You like him. Going to that cabin is going to show you that."

I had to turn away to hide the way I bit my bottom lip. If I didn't keep my guard up, Drew would get to me. I knew it as plainly as Nev read me like a book.