Falsely Accused Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I got your note, and I love you, too." Laura said sweetly. "So what did you want me to call you about?"

"What are your arrangements for keeping the kids?" I asked.

"I'll be in my office, so I'm taking them in with me." said Laura.

"Okay." I said. "By the way, be on a sharp lookout for anyone that might be watching you or following you. I've had tails on me the last couple of days. And maybe we should make other arrangements for the kids."

"They'll be as safe with me as they will be anywhere." Laura said. "I'm armed to the teeth, and I've got the basement to run into if things really go to hell in a handbasket."

"Okay." I said. "I'll talk to you later. I love you..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" said the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, August 17th, from in front of Police Headquarters. "Fox Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of the violent Police tactics used in breaking up a peaceful women's protest!"

Bettina: "Yesterday just over 100 women were protesting in front of Police Headquarters, drawing attention to the plight of female victims of rape being treated as 'asking for it' or otherwise investigated as the instigators. As this video shows, Police violently interdicted, arresting almost two dozen women, and using smoke grenades and pepper spray to disperse the other women."

Tape rolled, showing the Police breaking up the protest, and not hiding the women's own verbal and physical assaults upon Officers.

Bettina: "Similar Police tactics were used to dispel a peaceful protest at 2nd Precinct Headquarters." Tape rolled, showing Police arresting women, and not violently at all.

Bettina: "Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling says that Commander Donald Troy's popularity numbers are down to 40%, and his job performance rating is at 35%, while his negatives are at 55%. I have here with me State Attorney Jenna Stiles, who is the lead Prosecutor of the Peter Dwayne Gordon rape case. Ms. Stiles, what is your opinion of the Police tactics used to break up these peaceful protests?"

Jenna said "First of all, Bettina, not all Police Officers are guilty of police brutality, but Commander Troy's overwhelming response to even the smallest, most peaceful protests is deeply concerning, especially in a case where he obviously has less empathy for a woman that was raped than for her attacker. At least we have Captain Cindy Ross working with the D.A.'s office to help us prosecute this rapist."

"As fair and balanced reporters," Bettina said with a straight face, "we have to say it's an 'alleged' crime, as Mr. Gordon has not been convicted. His trial is coming up in September, which is very fast for a trial of this magnitude. Is the D.A.'s Office ready?"

"The State Attorney's Office is ready." said Jenna. "And with the information that Captain Ross and the TCPD have turned over to us, I am sure that we will get justice for this rape victim, and in doing so get justice for all women that are victims of sex crimes."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Why are you carrying your crowbar this morning, Commander?" Micah Rudistan jovially asked as we drank coffee in MCD.

"To beat some sense into mischievous Police Sergeants." I replied coolly, drawing laughter. "Or to beat some sense into bad journalists, which will take all day."

"Or to defend us all from the wrath of the Green Crowbar." said Teresa Croyle.

"A job I will delegate to the Police Boxing Matches Champion." I replied. "By the way, where is Captain Ross? And where is Parker?"

"They're both in her office, having a meeting." said Theo Washington. "And that poor guy does not have a crowbar to defend himself."

"Hotty toddy." I said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is John Hardwood, KSTD Five-Alive News, bringing you all the news you have a right to know!" said Hardwood. "We are covering the incredibly brutal Police assault on innocent, peaceful protesters, all women."

Hardwood showed tape and went through the same shit as Bettina, but he had a surprise. His interview was with... Deputy Chief Della Harlow."

"Yes, John," said Della, "I am embarrassed, humiliated really, for myself and the women Officers of the TCPD that had no part at all in the vicious, brutal, military-style actions of Captain Teresa Croyle and her SWAT stormtroopers at the direction of Commander Donald Troy. His hatred of women, especially of strong women that won't back down to intimidation, is obvious."

"And Commander Troy is the one who gave the orders to assault these peaceful female protesters?" asked Hardwood.

"I heard him give those orders myself." said Harlow.

"Captain Teresa Croyle carried out these actions." said Hardwood. "After what she did to Dean Allen, and now leading other Officers into actions of brutality, is she fit for the position she is currently in?"

"That is for the Inspector General and the Town & County Council to decide." said Harlow. "I'll just point out that it was Commander Donald Troy that put her into her current position, and now look at what is happening."

"Chief Harlow," said Hardwood, "some will ask why you continue to serve on this Police Force with the likes of Commander Troy and Captain Croyle. What is your answer to them?"

"I, and others, are fighting the abuse and the misogyny from within." said Harlow. "I'm in a position where my voice can be heard in defense of women, and in protest of the abusive tactics of Commander Troy. And perhaps the next time I can be more assertive in stopping these tactics of brutality..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Why shouldn't I fire her now?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"I have two answers, Chief." I said, as we sat in his office. "One is that that is what they want, and we fall into their trap. Take action against her, and it confirms what she's been saying, according to her and to the Press, anyway. Bad logic, but they know the optics would be bad for us."

"No doubt." said the Chief. "What else?"

"The second answer" I said, "is that this is not enough. Document it, begin building a case, but it's too early now. If this keeps up like I think it will, she's going to truly cross the line, and then you can barbecue her."

"O-kay, Commander." said the Chief. "What is going on, here? And don't bullshit me; I can see that you have ideas in that red head of yours that I am not able to forrrrrm."

I nodded. "This is all a well-planned, carefully orchestrated operation to destroy me. And I'm not saying that in an 'It's all about me.' kind of way. They're trying to tear the TCPD apart, render the Force immobile and ineffective, and also protect themselves and allow themselves to proceed to their political goals, which involve the SBI and the Governor's Mansion, if I don't miss my guess."

"And, as usual, you're just walking into the trap." said the Chief.

"No sir, I am not." I replied. "People's lives are on the line, here. Professor Milton has nearly been murdered. Peter Dwayne Gordon is on trial for his life. The TCPD is split, and the FBI itself is being demoralized and harmed. I will also say, Chief, that I've seen something along these lines before, when Pastor Westboro tried to destroy my reputation after he realized I was going to take him down. This whole plan is worthy of the late Pastor; I look forward to meeting whoever conceived it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy Ross came out of her office with Teddy Parker in tow. She stopped by Teresa's office and asked Teresa to come with her. They all came down the hall to the Police Commander's office, and Helena buzzed me. I had them come in.

"Sir," said Cindy, "Teddy has a story you need to hear."

"Have a seat, all of you." I said. I looked up at the ceiling light. Cindy didn't even blink; she turned on her anti-bugging disc, then sat down next to Parker in the hot chairs. Teresa sat on the sofa behind them.

"Tell the Commander what you told me." said Cindy.

"Sir," said Teddy, faltering at first, then getting his words together and a head of steam: "you know that I was dating Janice Holloway, and then she broke up with me after Commander Harlow told her I was a racist."

"Yes." I said.

"Well, sir," said Teddy, "Janice stopped me in the hallway yesterday, just before I left for the day. She said she wanted to try to get together again, to start dating again."

"Uh oh." Cindy said, seeing my face.

"Yeah, 'uh oh' is right." I said, opening a drawer to my desk and pulling out a folder full of papers. "Teddy, what did you tell her?"

"I said I had to go to an appointment, but I'd talk with her later." said Teddy. "But it just seemed weird. I mean... I like Janice, but there's a lot of crap going on right now..."

"Your Detective instincts to be concerned are well-honed, and very valid." I said. "Teddy, it's generally not my job nor business to worry about my Officers' love lives, except for the Auxiliary Officer I'm married to. But I want you to consider this story, which is part of this file." I put the file folder in front of Teddy.

"This is about a man I know, and what happened to him a few years ago." I said. "He was engaged to a woman... not just dating, but engaged to be married. They broke up, called the wedding off. A couple of months later, she came to him and said she wanted him to ask her out again and woo her. So he sent her some flowers and asked her to dinner."

"In response," I continued, "she went to H.R. and filed a sexual harassment complaint. The company immediately fired him, and worse, when any company he was interviewing with called him, that company would tell the callers they fired him for sexual harassment. They're not supposed to do that, and he sued them over it. But they kept doing it, and he lost the lawsuit, too. The last I heard of him was four years later, and he still couldn't find a job."

"Good Lord." said Cindy.

"So, Teddy," I said, "I've halfway been expecting Harlow to get Holloway to do this. It's not my place to tell you what to do on this, but I'd strongly recommend you have no contact with Janice other than strict professional conduct in front of other people. Don't let her get you into any situation where you're alone with her. I hate to say it, because I might be wrong and it might be costing you the relationship of your life, but right now, you need to be more safe than sorry, or your Police career could be ruined... especially in the current atmosphere around here."

"I understand, sir." said Teddy. "I think you might be right."

"Good." I said. I got on the phone and asked Jerome Davis to come to my office. He arrived within seconds.

"Davis, Parker," I said, "I am going to have you work out of the Precincts for a while. Captain Croyle is going to ask the Precinct Captains to provide you with some space and a couple of desks at each location. You'll be guided to where you're needed more, but for at least three days you'll be at 1st Precinct. I want you to keep your ears open. Instead of C.I.s, you'll be talking to Police Officers, and you'll find out everything that's going on. You're not spying on anyone; I don't care about foibles, but you'll know what I want to know when you hear it."

After making sure everyone understood, I dismissed the Detectives and Teresa to make it happen. Cindy was peering at me.

"Was that a true story?" she asked.

"Yes, it was." I said.

"What happened to that guy?" she asked.

"It is possible that someone arranged to give the guy a whole new identity." I replied. "He got a job, then decided to start his own business a couple of years later." I then grinned. "The person that gave him the new identity was your father, Dr. Eckhart. And I won't tell you who the guy is... but you know him."

"Oh, thanks for nothing!" Cindy replied, rather loudly. Then she said, "You must really think Harlow and Holloway are trying to set up Teddy. Sending my guys to the Precincts, which you've always fought like hell against..."

"Yes, I do think it's that bad a problem. And that dangerous for Teddy." I replied.

Part 15 - Dry Run

1:00pm, Thursday, August 17th. I was beginning to get some data. I discovered that Lawrence J. Gordon, father of the accused Peter D. Gordon, had set up a Super-PAC for Establishment Republicans in the State, and had been behind a good deal of advertising for U.S. Senator Samuel Russell in the last Election. He'd given no money at all to Governor Val Jared nor U.S. Senator Richard Nunn, and while he'd given no money to Jack Lewis, he'd paid for some 'generic' anti-Jared ads in the last Election.

Then I got a text from 'Faraday', a code name. 'Faraday' said he had a couple of leads on Kendra Luskin in the City, and would arrange to meet me over the weekend about it.

Cindy knocked on my door. "I'm going to go pick up Callie at City Airport." she said.

"Keep your eyes peeled, and make sure you're not being followed." I said. "And to that point... do you want to take the Black Beauty?"

Cindy smiled. "I'm already taking it. It's in the parking lot." I looked out my window. The green O65 Imperial Crown was in Cindy's parking place. Cindy had gone to The Cabin and retrieved it, which she had every right to do.

"Do be careful." I said. "We've got all too many bogeys around here."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fifteen minutes after Cindy left, Captain Teresa Croyle came to my office.

"Lt. Hanson of the Campus Police called." she said. "A group of women began massing around the Campus Police Station about ten minutes ago, carrying signs saying 'Stop Police Brutality' and 'I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar'. They're not doing much, not really even protesting. I sent Rudistan and Morton on a drive-by."

"Speaking of 'Drive-By's," I said, "is the Media there yet?" I asked.

"No, not that they could see... oh, I see." Teresa said. I nodded.

"Yep, they're just waiting for the Media to arrive, then a protest will magically come into being." I said. "Are the SpecOps people ready?"

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "I put them on alert five minutes ago. They're ready to roll out if Lt. Hanson calls."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"KSTD van has arrived." called in Rudistan on Channel 5 Encrypted Radio. "Parked on the other side of the street, in the strip mall where 1st Precinct used to be." I knew that the Campus Police HQ was just north and across the street.

"Roger that." I said. "How many protesters?"

"Six, sir." said Rudistan. "Not really noisy, either... and they're looking around as if they're looking for something."

I contemplated that. "I wonder what they're waiting for?" I said. Then I had an insight. I called Lt. Hanson on the phone.

"Just a few women, not even a nuisance, Commander." said Hanson.

"Bill," I asked, "do you have cameras monitoring the Campus?"

"No doubt." said Hanson. "Coverage of most of Campus."

"Check and see if there are groups of women, in clumps, around the Campus Police building, and call me back." I said.

Five minutes later, Hanson called back. "Yep, several groups, all watching their smartphones. Not just women, but some pretty straggly guys, too."

"Roger that." I said. "Don't be surprised if that little demonstration suddenly blossoms into a big one. You might want to batten down now."

"What's going to trigger it?" asked Hanson.

"I'm not sure yet." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We were not too long in finding out. Teresa had quietly had several ubiquitous unmarked white vans full of SWAT and SpecOps people converge on the parking lot of the strip mall that once housed 1st Precinct Headquarters.

"Let's get a drone up." I said. I was downstairs in the 'command post' area, from where operations had been run in the past... but with Myron and Mary at the helm. Now there was just Your Iron Crowbar.

"Drone is up, Commander." said Teresa. I began watching on its camera as it flew over Campus. I saw the clumps of people, trying to be furtive, in several groups around the Campus Police building. Several of them looked up, seeing the drone.

"Rudistan?" I said into one of the 'green phones', which was actually connected to the radio system.

"Here, sir." said Rudistan.

"Any other patrols near you?" I asked.

"Hicks and Johnson are at the Bus Station, sir." said Rudistan.

"I want you and Hicks to drive into the Campus Police parking lot." I said. "But listen carefully... if people suddenly start coming up to the building and start becoming a protest mob, I want you and Hicks to get the hell out of there as fast as you can. Get off Campus and drive up or down the road out of sight. How copy?"

"Loud and clear, sir." said Rudistan. "Wilco."

"Wilco, sir." said Hicks.

I got up and hustled upstairs, then out of the building and to my Police SUV...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From the parking lot of a bar just south of the strip mall, John Hardwood and his camera crew were waiting. With them were Deputy Chief Della Harlow and State Attorney Jenna Stiles. Della was using binoculars, studying the white vans at the strip mall, and the Police cruisers that had just come to the Campus Police building.

"Okay, our guys are in place." she said. "And two cars at the University Police building---"

Suddenly, the two Police cruisers raced for the entrance to the road, and pulled onto University Avenue, driving north at high speed. At the same time, large numbers of young people, men and women, most of them poorly attired in dirty t-shirts and ragged jeans and Birkenstocks, began streaming out of the tree-shaded Campus. They joined the six-woman protest and began shouting as they filled the parking lot. Some began approaching the entrance to the building. They had baseball bats as well as signs.

Hardwood and his cameraman moved in to get better views, and also to let the protesters know he was there for them...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Our guys haven't moved in yet." said Della.

"That's because I haven't told them to." said a voice behind her. Della and Jenna turned around, shocked to see the Iron Crowbar behind them, tapping the red crowbar in his hand as he usually did when he was about to apply it in a 'corrective action' kind of way.

"What are you doing here?" Della all but screamed.

"Wondering what you are doing here." I replied. "And with the Press and the State Attorney. Mighty curious, I am. Mighty curious."

Campus Police vehicles were coming up to their Headquarters, but the Cadet Police were outnumbered by the protesters.

"Croyle to Troy." I heard my radio say.

"Troy here." I said. "What's your status?"

"Lt. Hanson just called, asking for our help." Teresa said. I could see that the protesters were about to reach the building.

"You are 'go' to interdict." I said. "Smoke and beanbags authorized if necessary."

"Roger that, sir." Teresa said.

The SpecOps people began crossing University Avenue, with Uniformed Officers stopping traffic both ways. When the protesters saw the contingent of helmeted, armored, shielded Officers with shotguns coming their way, they fled back into the oak-tree-shaded heart of the Campus, dispersing completely. The protest was over hardly before it began.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What was your analysis of that incident?" I asked. I was in my office with Captain Croyle, Senior Sergeant Hugh Hewitt, and Sergeant Gregory Charles. They were still in their 'combat' gear.

"They turned tail and ran as soon as we started crossing the street." said Charles. Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Sir," said Hewitt. "When they were dispersing, I looked around for an ambush. It looked like we were being drawn into a trap. But we didn't pursue them, we just secured the Campus Police building. So if they had an ambush for us, it didn't come off."