Farm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I wasn't expecting that sort of greeting," I stated with a chuckle, before gesturing to my right, "And I'm sure you remember Uncle Mick."

"Of course!" she exclaimed, hugging him too.

"I'll admit I was expecting some sort of city girl," Mick stated once he'd hugged her.

"Give me a little credit. I knew where I was heading."

"Well, yeah, but..." I stated before trailing off and shrugging. "It's good to see you."

A broad grin appeared, her nose crinkling slightly. "You too, Brucey."

I laughed. "Still with the Brucey? I remember you calling me that when you were knee-high to a grasshopper." I took a step back and looked her up and down. "Now you've returned, well, a woman."

She blushed. "Thanks," she said quietly.

I grabbed her bag and threw it in the back of the truck. "Come on, we'll head off. Do you need anything?"

"No. I think I grabbed everything I needed," she said, clambering into the rear seat of the truck.

"We can head into town now if you do think of anything. I've set up a room for you but it's, well, lacking character," I explained, looking in her direction via the rear-view mirror.

"All I want is a hot shower and a good meal."

"You can have both once we're back at the house. Mick, want to bring the wife over for dinner?"

"Sure thing. I'll drive home once we get back and head back to yours for, I dunno, 7ish?"

"That'll be fine, mate. We'll have a barbeque."

"That's sounds awesome," Emily said behind me.

The three of us chatted about nothing of importance during the drive back to the farm, otherwise spending most of it in silence as Emily stared out the window. I had next to no idea what she must have been thinking, if she was already thinking this was a bad idea, if she'd settle into life on the farm, or if it was only a temporary situation before she figured out what to do next. She caught me once looking in the mirror and smiled at me, so I assumed she wasn't thinking it was a mistake just yet.

Mick headed off home once we were back at the farm. I escorted Emily inside and figured I should show her the room first, knowing she would definitely want to add her own character. I placed her rucksack on the bed as she threw her purse, phone and other bits from her pockets beside them.

"Um, I guess you may want me to paint it soon as... well, it could do with a little TLC but..." I trailed off and shrugged again. Another little smile this time. Then, to my surprise, she burst into tears, walking towards me again. "Something wrong?" I asked rather stupidly, once I'd wrapped her in another hug, figuring I may be giving a few of them over the next few days.

She shook her head. "No," she whispered, "Just nice to know someone gives a shit about me."

"What the fuck has your mother done to leave you feeling like this? Apart from the obvious, of course." She looked up and I shook my head. "Rhetorical question, don't worry." She placed her head on my chest again. "You've got a home here for as long as you want, kiddo."

"I'm already left with the feeling that I don't want to leave."

"Well, that was quick," I retorted, unable to hide the chuckle.

"You know I'm going to be a mess for a while. I'll want to talk about... certain things," she added, taking a step back, probably to gauge my reaction.

I ran a hand through my hair. "Yeah, figured. Um..."

"Not now, though."

"Look, I'll certainly listen but... I'm a simple man... Lived here alone for a few years now so..."

"It's going to be a little strange for both of us." I just nodded. She smiled again, wiping her eyes. "Once I'm settled in, perhaps I'll take you up on your offer. Make this a little more... homey."

"Girly?"

She giggled and scoffed all at once. "I'm not that bad."

I shrugged again. "As I said, this is your home and this will be your room. Do with it as you wish. You need anything, let me know and I can grab it. So, want the tour?"

"Sure."

She was surprised how homely the house was inside as, while it didn't look exactly ramshackle from the outside, appearances would be deceiving. She was particularly impressed by the fact a single man kept his bathroom so clean, and by the kitchen, which was probably far more modern than she expected. Ending up on the rear veranda, I just gestured and stated everything she could see I owned. She took a seat as I grabbed a couple of beers from inside, sitting back and enjoying the silence.

"It's so quiet out here," she finally said.

"Bit different, is it?"

"You ever been to a city?"

"Once or twice. I'm like a fish out of water in places like that. Most nights, I just sit on this veranda and enjoy the serenity. The tranquillity. It's so peaceful out here. I don't understand why people feel the need to group together in towns and cities."

"Do you ever get lonely?"

"Not really. I'm busy all day and enjoy the silence at night."

"What about a girlfriend though?"

"Haven't found a woman yet who can handle the lifestyle. Doubt I ever will, in all honesty."

"Have you tried internet dating?"

I looked at her and noticed the smirk. "God no. Listen, I don't need my niece trying to organise my love life. I'm content with how things are."

"If you say so," she stated, still smirking as she took a sip of beer.

Mick and his wife, June, appeared few minutes later, and I got the barbeque going not long afterwards. I cooked plenty of meat while I wasn't surprised that June had brought a pile of Tupperware, full of other things that would go well with a plate full of meat. Emily greeted 'Auntie' June with a warm hug, the two women soon nattering away as Mick joined me, doing the good bloke thing of supplying me with beer as I did my best not to burn everything.

Sitting down once everything was cooked, soon it was simply the sound of laughter echoing in the silence as the four of us shared stories, either recent or in the distant pass. As the sun dipped below the horizon, I also got a fire going to provide some light and warmth, particularly for Emily as I expected she'd find the difference in temperature a real surprise.

Mick and June eventually headed home as Emily and I headed inside out of the cold. Emily had a shower as I did my usual thing of getting online, though I would obviously forego a certain ritual considering I now had another person in the house. She eventually appeared behind me, wearing nothing but a small vest, with no obvious sign of a bra, and some very short shorts, which showed off her legs. I tried not let my eyes wander, remembering who she was.

"I'm ready for bed. I'm beat." I got to my feet and wasn't surprised that she wanted another hug. "Thanks for everything."

"No worries," I stated. She looked up at me, another smile, as I kissed her forehead, "As I said, you're home now."

She took a step back and I couldn't help notice that her nipples were hard. I quickly moved my eyes away, embarrassed that I'd even noticed. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Yeah, sure thing, Em. Sleep well."

"I will."

She turned and I watched her walk away, her shorts almost painted on her arse. Once she'd disappeared, I ran a hand down my face before shaking my head clear of a couple of thoughts. Not entirely unpleasant except for the fact they were about my niece. After everything she had gone through, the last thing she needed was a pervy old uncle. Well, not exactly old but you know what I mean.

I was up early the next morning as always, surprised that Emily appeared no more than fifteen minutes after I was up. I wasn't planning on doing too much work, it being a Sunday and the lone day of rest I rewarded myself with, but I still always woke at the same time. She sat down next to me and yawned, stretching at the same time that exposed her rather flat if not toned stomach. I kept my eyes firmly focused on my cup of coffee. Well, maybe I stole one or two glances.

Eventually she asked, "What are the plans today? Do you work every day?"

I chuckled. "I try not to. But no plans today. Is there anything that you'd like to do?"

"Horses."

My chuckle turned into a laugh. "Should have known. Remember how to ride?"

"It's all in the thighs."

She said it in such a tone I almost spat out my coffee. I looked at her as she innocently drank her own coffee, meeting my eyes, and I knew she was smiling. "Let me have a shower and we'll head out. Their paddock is only a short walk away."

The heat was already building once we headed outside. I was surprised to see Emily had come prepared, once again dressed in sensible clothing, though this time wearing shorts rather than jeans. I didn't blame her. I pointed out and explained certain features of the farm, such as where the milking and shearing was done, where most of the machinery was kept and other features of the farm. I was surprised at how keen an interest she showed, asking me plenty of questions along the way.

A few of the horses were at the fence when we approached. Emily had brought along a few carrots and soon she had three of them eating out of the palm of her hand. Literally. We must have spent at least half an hour at the fence as she fed the horses or patted their noses and necks.

"Do you ride them?" she wondered.

"Of course. When we're rounding up the herds, we do it the old fashioned way. Well, except for the helicopter. That helps us locate and round up the loose cows and bulls, then we drive them back this way."

"Can I do that one day?"

"Seriously?" I asked, unable to hide my surprise.

"Of course. If I'm going to live here, I'm going to earn my keep."

"I had no idea this sort of life interested you."

"Didn't my childish enthusiasm each time I've visited before not leave any sort of impression?"

I removed my hat and ran a hand through my hair. "Well, it did, but I thought... Well, I thought it was precisely just because you were a kid."

"Why do you think I so readily accepted moving here?" I shrugged. "Of course, the most important reason was because of you, Brucey. You've always looked out for me, even when you're a thousand miles away."

I could only smile before I asked, "Want to go for a ride?"

Her smile matched my own. "Sure." She looked over the horses. "Which one, though?"

"Take that chestnut one there," I stated, pointing. "He's a good sort. Co-operative. And likes a canter."

Once we'd saddled the horses, we mounted and headed off. I had a general idea of where we should head, though didn't mention anything, hoping it would be at least a slight surprise. As we trotted along, Emily told me about what she'd been doing with her life. She'd done well at school but had chosen not to take further education, wanting to get out into the workforce and start making money. But, as I already knew, her home-life sucked and, despite working, she couldn't afford to buy a house, while even renting would have left her scraping to survive.

"What about your mother?" I finally asked, hoping I wasn't opening up a major can of worms, adding "You don't have to talk about the other night yet, either. That's on your own time. I merely wonder about my sister."

"Your sister. My mother." She chuckled bitterly. "She's a bitch." She looked at me, gauging my reaction. I just nodded. "She's done nothing but belittle me and my brother for years. Spent years destroying my self-confidence. I even contemplated... You know, ending it... Once or twice." Then she looked at me and smiled. "Finally I had an escape. I just had to find the courage to finally leave."

"She work? Has a job?"

She cracked up laughing. "You're kidding, right. She's claiming some sort of government benefit. No idea what for."

"What about these men she's with?"

"The current one does work but he also deals. The one before that was unemployed and I'm sure pimped her out. The one before that was simply a deadbeat. Used to bash her around a bit. The one before that... I think he's now in jail for armed robbery. One before that is in jail for murder. One before that, my father, or sperm donor, as I call him, lives on the other side of the country now. The one before that, my brother's sperm donor, was probably one of the better men she's been with, though that's not saying much considering..."

"Fucking hell. Is she simply off the rails or what?"

"No idea. All I know is that I've spent most of my teenage years fending for myself."

"I had no idea. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise, Brucey. Not like I told you much about it. I couldn't because..."

"You figured I'd worry?"

"I knew you'd drive all the way into the city to collect me. And my brother."

"I'm tempted to say you should simply cut all contact with her."

"I will eventually."

"Does she know where you are?" She shook her head. "I wonder if she'll call me. Can't rightly remember the last time I actually spoke to her."

"You can tell her that I'm here if you want. I'm 19 years old. I no longer have to answer to her."

The land of the farm wasn't completely flat as we ended up traversing a series of rolling hills before we finally crested one that would give a spectacular view of what lay ahead. Much of the land was dry, though wasn't what people though as desert. There was plenty of grass as far as the eye could see, with small outcrops of trees. In the valley below ran a river that was full for the first time in years. I heard Emily gasp beside me as I knew she'd never seen it before.

"I had no idea it existed," she said quietly.

"The last time you were out here, this thing was barely a creek. But apparently there's been plenty of rain up in the mountains. News is that this will remain full for a long time to come. Good as we needed the rain."

"Is it safe to swim?"

"Of course. It doesn't flow fast and is plenty deep. All you'll have to bring is your swimming costume."

"Good thing I brought a bikini or two." I looked at her as she shrugged. "I figured I may get a little sun out this way."

"You'll get plenty, that's for sure. We'll definitely head back this way and you can have your swim."

"Will you join me?"

"Sure. I love a good swim as much as the next man."

We turned our horses around and headed in a different direction, take a long circuit back towards the farm. We rode by some of the sheep, many of them definitely on the verge of requiring a good shear, Emily once again mentioning that she'd like to learn how to do that. We ended up in another paddock where some of the cattle was kept, joking that one of them may end up on our dinner plate one day.

"Good thing I'm not a vegetarian," she stated, taking everything in her stride.

Arriving back at the farm in time for a late lunch, I made us some sandwiches, with bread I actually made myself, that fact alone making quite a significant impression, or so it seemed. I don't bake but it's difficult to get certain things this far out and, considering I didn't want to drive into the nearest town all the time, I'd learned to do certain things for myself in the kitchen.

I rarely watched TV but always treated myself to a few hours of an afternoon on a Sunday when I watched the football, always with a couple of beers and some snacks. I didn't expect Emily to have any interest whatsoever so was surprised when she took a seat next to me on the couch with a beer of her own. Asking what sort of football then who was playing, she seemed quite content to sit and watch beside me, asking the occasional question but otherwise watching in silence. I guess she wanted company as much as she wanted to keep me company.

When the game was finished, I wasn't that surprised to hear her offer of making dinner. Unable to remember the last time anyone had made me dinner; I took her up on her kindly offer. I was polite enough to join her in the kitchen, watching from the table as she soon learned what was available in the pantry and the fridge and was soon cooking up a storm. I always cooked simple food, generally meat, potato and vegetables. It was obvious that Emily wasn't cooking the same sort of thing.

I probably cleared my plate in five minutes after that first tasty bite. I was hungry but it was so goddamned tasty at the same time. I left her in a fit of giggles when I leaned back and burped.

"Sorry, used to living alone," I stated.

"I'll take it as a sign of appreciation for my cooking skills."

"You've got yourself a job right there, young lady. You were working in a kitchen, right?"

"I was but they never took my skills seriously because I wasn't officially trained."

"If you can cook things like that, you have absolute free reign around my kitchen."

She smiled. "I like to bake too."

"You're going to make one man very happy one day." Her cheeks flushed and I figured I'd embarrassed her. "Just being honest, Em. A way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

"I was told the best way to keep a man happy is to simply feed him and fuck him."

I looked at her, a face of innocence returned my way, before I burst into laughter. "Yeah, that's what I meant too."

I helped clear up, the two of us making a good team as everything used was cleaned, dried and put away, before we grabbed another beer each and sat on the veranda again. I think she already understood that it was a nightly ritual. We chatted a little bit but once again enjoyed the sound of silence, before I headed inside to have a shower.

I thought nothing of walking from the bathroom to my room with just a towel around me but came to a stop when I bumped into Emily. I noticed her cheeks redden as she looked me up and down. "Something wrong?" I asked, drying my hair with another towel.

"No. No. It's just... I didn't expect..."

"Oh... Sorry. I didn't think. I'll remember to wear a shirt or something next time."

"Oh... I'm not complaining. I'm definitely not complaining." Then she put a hand to her forehead. "That sounded worse than it should have."

I laughed. "Guess this will take some time getting used to for both of us."

She turned to head into her room but stopped and looked back at me. "You are a good looking man, Brucey. Leaves me wondering why you're single." I must have stood there, looking utterly dumbfounded, as she just smiled and said, "Good night."

"Yeah, good night."

The next week flew by as it was the start of the shearing season, waking before dawn each morning for breakfast before we headed out to start gathering the sheep. As she'd said, Emily was soon getting involved with all the enthusiasm I expected. She found it tough as shearing sheep took a lot of physical effort, the little bastards always straining against your hold as you tried to get their woollen coats off. She was knocked on her arse more than once by an uncooperative sheep but impressed me and my men when she got straight back up, dusted herself down and tried again.

At the end of each long day, bodies covered in sweat and dirt, muscles aching from the exertion, we'd always share the cooking duties before sitting down for dinner. We'd then shower before sitting out on the veranda, enjoying a cold beer. The first couple of nights ended with Emily falling asleep in her chair. I had no problem lifting her up and carrying her to bed. At least she weighed less than a sheep. The second time it happened, she woke up as I carried her and she just gave me this smile that part of my brain couldn't help but misinterpret. But that's all it was. Just a smile. I just think that she was finally happy.

Sunday being our day off, we were still up early though at least after the sun was up. She actually cooked what can only be describe as a full English breakfast, a real treat considering I never cooked breakfast for myself. The plate put in front of me looked delicious but the kiss on the cheek was what surprised me most. "This is for all the hard work this week. And for letting me feel like part of the gang," she added.